Program-Specific Info / Q's SJSU 2021-2022 cycle applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dewa07

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I didn't see a thread for this year's cycle for SJSU, so just wanted to create one so we could talk about the process. Was anyone able to create their mySJSU account yet? I'm kinda confused on how it works, I submitted GAPE a week ago and haven't heard anything back since.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I haven't finished that portion of the application but I think you should receive a email on how to set up the portal.
Also since you completed your apps did you submit your GRE score into OTCAS? I haven't taken the GRE but plan to take it in on the 20th but it state I wont receive the writing score until after 10 days, can I still submit my OTCAS without the writing score and update it when I receive it?

I haven't finished that portion of the application but I think you should receive a email on how to set up the portal.
Also since you completed your apps did you submit your GRE score into OTCAS? I haven't taken the GRE but plan to take it in on the 20th but it state I wont receive the writing score until after 10 days, can I still submit my OTCAS without the writing score and update it when I receive it?
You're still able to submit your OTCAS application without the score and update it after you receive results! It's a self-reported unofficial score anyway so you'd still need to wait until you receive the writing score before you'd be able to send out your application packet to the OT department by mail.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if we have to send proof to the OT department indicating that our anatomy lab had a human cadaver? I read this on their prerequisite course website "You must provide proof of completion of at least 6 hours of a human cadaver lab. You can supply the course catalog description, certificate of completion, or letter from the professor which must include the hours and content."

Hi guys, I just wanted to say hello! I am a reapplicant this year. I submitted my application last year but unfortunately the cohort was full, so my application did not get reviewed.
This year I was able to submit it for review October 1st (yay!), so fingers crossed! Good luck to everybody!

• Care
Does anyone know if we have to send proof to the OT department indicating that our anatomy lab had a human cadaver? I read this on their prerequisite course website "You must provide proof of completion of at least 6 hours of a human cadaver lab. You can supply the course catalog description, certificate of completion, or letter from the professor which must include the hours and content."
Hi! I would send it just in case, my anatomy lab didn't have a human cadaver portion so I did the Mcgraw hill online course that they linked on their website and sent over the results of that along with my app.

Hi! I would send it just in case, my anatomy lab didn't have a human cadaver portion so I did the Mcgraw hill online course that they linked on their website and sent over the results of that along with my app.
If you don't mind me asking, how many questions did you do for the quizzes to satisfy the requirement (10, 25 or all)? Also, did you select "all structures" within the region section when completing the quizzes? Thanks in advance!

If you don't mind me asking, how many questions did you do for the quizzes to satisfy the requirement (10, 25 or all)? Also, did you select "all structures" within the region section when completing the quizzes? Thanks in advance!
I believe I did around 4 quizzes, and completed all the questions for each quiz with "all structures" selected. Because there were so many questions per quiz 4 quizzes was enough for me to meet the time requirement lol

Does anyone know about when we should hear anything back??

Does anyone know about when we should hear anything back??
Based off of last year's thread, it sounds like the earliest we may hear back is in December. I feel like most applicants will hear back from SJSU sometime next year, so it might be a long wait. Best of luck to you!

Hi everyone! I just received a conditional acceptance, but still waiting on other schools. Is anyone else in the same boat? Not sure if I should accept it while waiting for other school’s decisions. Dr. Smith said only accept if committed to SJSU’s program.

Reactions: 1 users
omg congratulations for such an early acceptance from SJSU!! Do you mind me asking when you submitted all your materials to the school?

Hi everyone! I just received a conditional acceptance, but still waiting on other schools. Is anyone else in the same boat? Not sure if I should accept it while waiting for other school’s decisions. Dr. Smith said only accept if committed to SJSU’s program.
Wow congrats! Is this your first time applying? Also what are your stats?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations! Very exciting. Do you mind answering some questions for us very anxious and probably very jealous hopefuls? Did you get a phone call or an email? Are you a first time applicant to SJSU or second time applicant? Did you go to SJSU for undergrad? Can you post your stats please? Thanks I’m advance.

omg congratulations for such an early acceptance from SJSU!! Do you mind me asking when you submitted all your materials to the school?
THank you! I really didn't expect to hear back so soon. I submitted my SJSU GAPE app right when it hit Oct 1st. OTCAS I believe I submitted that around mid September and then I mailed the docs for the department and sent in my official transcripts around late September.

Wow congrats! Is this your first time applying? Also what are your stats?
Yes, my first time applying! I wanted to apply last cycle, but I misread the updated GRE requirements. Didn't think I had a chance at all because my scores at the lower end...

Major: Kinesiology ( w/ concentration in Clinical Movement Sciences)
Cumulative GPA: 3.58
GRE: V: 148 Q: 149 AWA; 4
Volunteer: *everything except the pediatric outpatient was done before the pandemic so around 2018- 2020*: Research volunteer at my school's motor behavior lab, taught children w/ special needs karate at an OT based after school program (210 hours) , hand therapy clinic (60 hours), SNF setting (60 hours), and pediatric outpatient (most recent, ~95 hours)
Honors: Cum laude

I hope this helps! Pls let me know if I'm missing anything!

Congratulations! Very exciting. Do you mind answering some questions for us very anxious and probably very jealous hopefuls? Did you get a phone call or an email? Are you a first time applicant to SJSU or second time applicant? Did you go to SJSU for undergrad? Can you post your stats please? Thanks I’m advance.
I received an email from Dr. Gigi Smith. However, my status on mySJSU still shows application completed and referred to the department and in order for that status to change to conditionally accepted on mySJSU, I need to accept the offer, which makes me conflicted because I'm still waiting on one more school. I am a first time applicant to SJSU and I completed my undergrad at CSUF. Please see below for my stats and let me know if you need any more info! I'm happy to help!

Volunteer: *everything except the pediatric outpatient was done before the pandemic so around 2018- 2020*: Research volunteer at my school's motor behavior lab, taught children w/ special needs karate at an OT based after school program (210 hours) , hand therapy clinic (60 hours), SNF setting (60 hours), and pediatric outpatient (most recent, ~95 hours)

I received an email from Dr. Gigi Smith. However, my status on mySJSU still shows application completed and referred to the department and in order for that status to change to conditionally accepted on mySJSU, I need to accept the offer, which makes me conflicted because I'm still waiting on one more school. I am a first time applicant to SJSU and I completed my undergrad at CSUF. Please see below for my stats and let me know if you need any more info! I'm happy to help!

Yay! So excited for you! That is awesome! You have a lot of volunteer experience in a variety of fields, I’m sure they loved to see that! Best of luck on whatever you choose, and congrats again!

Can I post my stats and see what every one thinks? As people are being accepted im feeling a little nervous that I haven’t heard back yet.
GPA:3.58
GRE: Q147 V 149 W 4
Work experience: 360 hours as a student aid (behavioral interventionist
360 hours working in a school for kids with moderate -severe disabilities (RBT)
Prereqs: all As
Volunteer: pediatric OT 40 hours? pediatric physical therapist 40 hours, I was lacking in this area a little :/
I also have personal experience with my daughter receiving services as a baby and toddler.
I couldn’t do much more during the pandemic since I was home with my kiddo and I’m hoping to acquire more volunteer hours
Second time applying since I applied too late last year and my app wasn’t reviewed.
Just wanted some feedback as the waiting game is brutal, especially the second time around.

Yay! So excited for you! That is awesome! You have a lot of volunteer experience in a variety of fields, I’m sure they loved to see that! Best of luck on whatever you choose, and congrats again!
Thank you again! I really appreciate it!
Can I post my stats and see what every one thinks? As people are being accepted im feeling a little nervous that I haven’t heard back yet.
GPA:3.58
GRE: Q147 V 149 W 4
Work experience: 360 hours as a student aid (behavioral interventionist
360 hours working in a school for kids with moderate -severe disabilities (RBT)
Prereqs: all As
Volunteer: pediatric OT 40 hours? pediatric physical therapist 40 hours, I was lacking in this area a little :/
I also have personal experience with my daughter receiving services as a baby and toddler.
I couldn’t do much more during the pandemic since I was home with my kiddo and I’m hoping to acquire more volunteer hours
Second time applying since I applied too late last year and my app wasn’t reviewed.
Just wanted some feedback as the waiting game is brutal, especially the second time around.
I feel like you having all As in your pre-requisites is really really good! Were you able to complete all of them? Did you also get new people to complete your evaluations? I told the people who were doing my evaluations to include some traits that I knew were especially important for a graduate program (ie. how I handle stressful situations, what qualities I bring to the facility, or how I take the initiative to carry out tasks, etc). I read in previous forums that they consider evaluations more than the volunteer experiences we jotted down in our application. Not sure how true that is, but you definitely have other outstanding qualities that you may not realize. You could also maybe email or call Dr. Smith or someone from admissions asking where they're at in the application process and emphasize how SJSU is your first choice.

Thank you again! I really appreciate it!

I feel like you having all As in your pre-requisites is really really good! Were you able to complete all of them? Did you also get new people to complete your evaluations? I told the people who were doing my evaluations to include some traits that I knew were especially important for a graduate program (ie. how I handle stressful situations, what qualities I bring to the facility, or how I take the initiative to carry out tasks, etc). I read in previous forums that they consider evaluations more than the volunteer experiences we jotted down in our application. Not sure how true that is, but you definitely have other outstanding qualities that you may not realize. You could also maybe email or call Dr. Smith or someone from admissions asking where they're at in the application process and emphasize how SJSU is your first choice.
I didn’t re do anything, but I had evaluations from a behavioral analyst from my work, a supervisor from my RBT job, and a Physio/anatomy professor who I got an A in, in both classes. Hoping they said the right things :)
That’s a great idea! I’ll email today :) the reapp process was a little confusing and I didn’t technically submit again so I’m not sure how the time stamp worked either.
Thank you kindly for your feedback!!!

Hello all! I just wanted to pop in and mention that I am a current second year OT student at SJSU. I remember all too well the stress involved with applying to the program, and using a thread like this was really helpful to me. Good luck this cycle, and if anyone has any questions, I can do my best to answer them!

Last edited:
Hello all! I just wanted to pop in and mention that I am a current second year OT student at SJSU. I remember all too well the stress involved with applying to the program, and using a thread like this was really helpful to me. If anyone has any questions, I’d be happy to answer them!
Hello! Thanks for offering your help! Did you apply to other schools when you applied to SJSU? Would you happen to know if SJSU is understanding in terms of asking for an extension on confirming acceptance decisions? I expect to hear back from other schools by December, but I do feel bad for making SJSU wait so long....

Has anyone heard anything as of recently?
How funny I was just going to ask this. I haven’t but I reached out to the grad advisor almost 2 weeks ago to ask about my application status and haven’t heard back :/

How funny I was just going to ask this. I haven’t but I reached out to the grad advisor almost 2 weeks ago to ask about my application status and haven’t heard back :/
I emailed her I think a week ago regarding some paperwork about my packet. She said that my packet was put together. So I think they are still reviewing.

Hello all! I just wanted to pop in and mention that I am a current second year OT student at SJSU. I remember all too well the stress involved with applying to the program, and using a thread like this was really helpful to me. Good luck this cycle, and if anyone has any questions, I can do my best to answer them!
Hi,

Thanks for offering the help!

When did you send in your application and how long did you have to wait before hearing back? What’s the tuition total(I’m having trouble finding an exact number on their site) and what type of aid are you getting? Were you a first time applicant? Was there an interview process?

Thanks!

If anyone gets an acceptance this week please post. Last year there seemed to be a bunch of acceptances that went out the first week of December. 🙏 🤞

Hi,

Thanks for offering the help!

When did you send in your application and how long did you have to wait before hearing back? What’s the tuition total(I’m having trouble finding an exact number on their site) and what type of aid are you getting? Were you a first time applicant? Was there an interview process?

Thanks!

Hello!

Second year OT student here. I sent in my application 11/4, I heard back in 3/13.

The tuition for this year is $4,643 a semester and I don't recall summer. There is financial aid and some scholarships you can apply to. No interview process.

Good luck and hope you hear good news soon!

Any questions feel free to message me cause I don't check often so that would be the best way.

Edit: Summer should be less than the full semester I think it was $2K ish (that is when you do your international experience so it really depends on where you go)

Last edited:
Is anyone else here a reapplicant? If so, will you post when you submitted and when you heard back? Getting a little nervous over here 🤣

• Care
Hello!

Second year OT student here. I sent in my application 11/4, I heard back in 3/13.

The tuition for this year is $4,643 a semester and I don't recall summer. There is financial aid and some scholarships you can apply to. No interview process.

Any questions feel free to message me cause I don't check often so that would be the best way.

Edit: Summer should be less than the full semester I think it was $2K ish (that is when you do your international experience so it really depends on where you go)
Hi! When can you apply for scholarships if you are accepted? I still haven't heard, but wondering what that timeline is like.

Hi! When can you apply for scholarships if you are accepted? I still haven't heard, but wondering what that timeline is like.
I believe you can start applying second semester of your first year and there are several internal scholarships. Besides that I am not really sure about the details sorry!

I emailed Krista and she said “Sometime students are notified soon, and sometimes they are not notified until May. It just depends!”

Hello!

Was San Jose state the only school you applied to? How did you handle the wait and deferring other schools/acceptances during the wait?

SJSU is my first choice and I’m sort of in this position right now. I feel very conflicted on how to wait this through till possibly March.

Thanks!

Was San Jose state the only school you applied to? How did you handle the wait and deferring other schools/acceptances during the wait?

SJSU is my first choice and I’m sort of in this position right now. I feel very conflicted on how to wait this through till possibly March.

Thanks!
I also applied to Stanbridge and USAHS San Marcos. I was accepted to USAHS first in November so I put the deposit first ($500 and I got back $400) so I didn't see the harm.

It is a tough choice, but since SJSU tuition and ranking is > than USAHS it was an easy decision. So I think it is something you have to ask yourself. Are you willing to wait another year if you don't get accepted? If not, do you have another school as your backup?

I also got an acceptance this evening! Good luck everyone, the waiting is truly tough <3

Reactions: 2 users
I got accepted on 12/5! I mailed my application and it was received on 10/1. My GAPE wasn't submitted until last month, but I don't think that really matters. Good luck everyone!

Congrats! Do you mind sharing your time stamp and stats? Also, are you a first time or reapplicant?
This waiting is so brutal.
Sure. I’m a first time applicant. I completed OTCAS in early August and it was verified the next morning. I mailed my paperwork to SJSU and they received it 10/1. I completed GAPE last month.

I have a 3.68 overall gpa. I think 3.52 for the prerequisites as I got a B in both a&p classes.

GRE V150, Q 158, W 5.

I have over 250 hours shadowing in 3 locations, 2 pediatrics and 1 adult.

My LORs were from one of the OTs I shadowed and 2 professors.

Good luck to everyone who is still waiting. Keep the faith. From past years it looks like they sent out admissions as late as May.

Sure. I’m a first time applicant. I completed OTCAS in early August and it was verified the next morning. I mailed my paperwork to SJSU and they received it 10/1. I completed GAPE last month.

I have a 3.68 overall gpa. I think 3.52 for the prerequisites as I got a B in both a&p classes.

GRE V150, Q 158, W 5.

I have over 250 hours shadowing in 3 locations, 2 pediatrics and 1 adult.

My LORs were from one of the OTs I shadowed and 2 professors.

Good luck to everyone who is still waiting. Keep the faith. From past years it looks like they sent out admissions as late as May.
Wow! Those are great stats! Congrats on getting in and best of luck!

Wow, congrats to everyone who got accepted!!!!!:) SO excited and happy for yall! And to those of us who are still waiting, it's definitely tough, but hang in there friends!

Just received my conditional acceptance yesterday night!!

I also applied to Stanbridge and USAHS San Marcos. I was accepted to USAHS first in November so I put the deposit first ($500 and I got back $400) so I didn't see the harm.

It is a tough choice, but since SJSU tuition and ranking is > than USAHS it was an easy decision. So I think it is something you have to ask yourself. Are you willing to wait another year if you don't get accepted? If not, do you have another school as your backup?

I also got accepted into USAHS San Marcos and am considering it as a backup choice. This is the exact position I am in so I appreciate your input so much! Thank you

Just received my conditional acceptance yesterday night!!
WOW!!! congrats congrats!!!! do you mind me asking what your time stamp was/when you turned all your materials in?:)

WOW!!! congrats congrats!!!! do you mind me asking what your time stamp was/when you turned all your materials in?:)
My OTCAS was verified Oct. 6th and my physical application to the department was received on Oct. 8th I believe