Program-Specific Info / Q's SJSU 2021-2022 cycle applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everyone! I got accepted this past Sunday, 12/5 but I've declined my spot as I've committed to CSUDH already. My physical app was time-stamped on Oct 1, and OTCAS I believe sometime in September, I was a first-time applicant. Good luck to everyone still waiting!!! I know the process is super brutal just remember that you've all worked so hard and deserve it!!! Sending good vibes!
Here are my stats if anyone wants to know:
3.6 overall gpa, 4.0 last 90 units, 4.0 prereq
157 V 157 Q 5.0 AWA
~300 hours shadowing in pediatrics, sensory integration, early intervention
LOR from: OT, work boss, professor

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone! I got accepted this past Sunday, 12/5 but I've declined my spot as I've committed to CSUDH already. My physical app was time-stamped on Oct 1, and OTCAS I believe sometime in September, I was a first-time applicant. Good luck to everyone still waiting!!! I know the process is super brutal just remember that you've all worked so hard and deserve it!!! Sending good vibes!
157 V 157 Q 5.0 AWA
Those stats are incredible! You deserve it! Thanks for the info! Feels like a lifetime of waiting haha

157 V 157 Q 5.0 AWA
Thanks for sharing this with us. Your stats are superb! Congrats on getting into CSUDH and hope you have a wonderful journey forward! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, congratulations for everyone who has been accepted so far!

Has anyone heard anything recently, still waiting.

Reactions: 1 user
I got accepted!!! I literally did not think I was getting in! I received the email tonight.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
I got accepted!!! I literally did not think I was getting in! I received the email tonight.
Congratulations! Looking forward to meeting and getting to know everyone in our class. Last year they started the class Facebook page in February, I’m anxious to get to know people and talk about housing and for those that didn’t take it yet the Neuroanatomy class.

Congratulations again!! It’s such a journey.

Congratulations! Looking forward to meeting and getting to know everyone in our class. Last year they started the class Facebook page in February, I’m anxious to get to know people and talk about housing and for those that didn’t take it yet the Neuroanatomy class.

Congratulations again!! It’s such a journey.
Thank you! I am looking forward to it as well! I’ll keep an eye out for the page.

Congrats to you as well, such a journey! I feel like I can breath now!

Congratulations! So happy for you :)
Would you mind sharing your stats? Thanks!
Sure!
I am a reapplicant.
Prereqs: all As
GRE: writing 4.0, quant 147 verbal 149 (I did terribly, but I think they look at the app holistically)
Gpa:3.68
Volunteer: 40 pediatric OT 40 pediatric physical therapy
work experience: 360 hours RBT in public schools and 360 hours in a specialized school for kids with developmental disabilities
Bachelors: art studio
Letters or Rec: behavioral analyst from my work, supervisor from my work, anatomy/Physio professor
And some personal experience with years of my daughter receiving OT support ❤️

Received my conditional acceptance on 12/28! So excited! Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted so far!

Sure!
I am a reapplicant.
Prereqs: all As
GRE: writing 4.0, quant 147 verbal 149 (I did terribly, but I think they look at the app holistically)
Gpa:3.68
Volunteer: 40 pediatric OT 40 pediatric physical therapy
work experience: 360 hours RBT in public schools and 360 hours in a specialized school for kids with developmental disabilities
Bachelors: art studio
Letters or Rec: behavioral analyst from my work, supervisor from my work, anatomy/Physio professor
And some personal experience with years of my daughter receiving OT support ❤️
Thanks for sharing!!! Your stats and abundance of experience all looks great.

I’m curious did you have to send in volunteer evaluation forms for all your experiences or just some? I didn’t send in forms for all and now I’m wondering if that’ll discount any of the experiences I listed on my OTCAS application…

Thanks for sharing!!! Your stats and abundance of experience all looks great.

I’m curious did you have to send in volunteer evaluation forms for all your experiences or just some? I didn’t send in forms for all and now I’m wondering if that’ll discount any of the experiences I listed on my OTCAS application…
No, I just wrote it in the OTCAS experiences section - it was work experience :)
my volunteer hours were pretty limited (only 80) because COVID happened and I stayed home with my daughter until schools opened back up. I only turned in the evals for the shadowing hours, not the work ones.

I’m sure you will be fine!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all,
I just received my acceptance in the mail! Ah I’m still can’t believe I’m the one writing this post after years of following this page.

For those waiting hang in there!!! My application was timestamped 11/10/21

Congratulations!!! Yes the feeling is unreal!
Hello all,
I just received my acceptance in the mail! Ah I’m still can’t believe I’m the one writing this post after years of following this page.

For those waiting hang in there!!! My application was timestamped 11/10/21

Hi everyone,

I’m so thrilled to say that I received my conditional acceptance this morning! I look forward to meeting you all in the near future! :) Yayyyy

Hi All!!! I too just received my acceptance this week! WOOT WOOT! & I'm all about having a FB group to get to know one another. Let's do it! I'm not the techie to start it though;) Good luck everyone! My application was timestamped 11/9.

Anyone have any idea how big each OT cohort is? Also how about financial aid / scholarships... should Ihave applied for financial assistance already? Also, if I already told them I am confirming, I guess its too late to negotiate a scholarship, eh? LOL

Hi All!!! I too just received my acceptance this week! WOOT WOOT! & I'm all about having a FB group to get to know one another. Let's do it! I'm not the techie to start it though;) Good luck everyone! My application was timestamped 11/9.

Anyone have any idea how big each OT cohort is? Also how about financial aid / scholarships... should Ihave applied for financial assistance already? Also, if I already told them I am confirming, I guess its too late to negotiate a scholarship, eh? LOL
Congratulations. From what I’ve seen the SJSU grad assistant creates a Facebook page for the class (last years is SJSU MSOT Class if 2023). It was created last year on February 17. I don’t think it’s too late to complete the FAFSA for financial aid, I have not done so yet. I don’t have any information about scholarships from the school, I haven’t done much research on that yet. I think each cohort is about 80 and they break that up into smaller groups of about 20 that you rotate through the classes with.

Congratulations. From what I’ve seen the SJSU grad assistant creates a Facebook page for the class (last years is SJSU MSOT Class if 2023). It was created last year on February 17. I don’t think it’s too late to complete the FAFSA for financial aid, I have not done so yet. I don’t have any information about scholarships from the school, I haven’t done much research on that yet. I think each cohort is about 80 and they break that up into smaller groups of about 20 that you rotate through the classes with.
Thanks so much for your thoughtful reply!

Anyone wanna start a fb group for neuro UCLA ext?? I plan on taking it this spring.

Hey Inessa, a Facebook group or even GroupMe would be great. I’ve been waiting for registration to open.

Also hoping they create the class Facebook group soon. Last year the Grad Assistant created it on 2/17, but other years it’s been created as early as mid January. Looking forward to meeting my future classmates.

Good luck to all those still waiting for decisions.

Hi guys! I just saw this forum and got conditionally accepted as well :D I look forward to meeting you all! My application was time stamped on 10/1, I mailed in my documents on 10/7, and I got my conditional acceptance email on 12/7 :) I am a reapplicant as well. I applied during the end of the last application period and the cohort was filled before they got to review my application.

Hey everyone! Hope someone can help me out :D

When sending college transcripts to GAPE, what mailing address do you use?

1)
Occupational Therapy Department
The Department of Occupational Therapy
Attn: Master's in OT Program
One Washington Square
San Jose, CA 95192-0059

2)
Graduate Admissions &
Program Evaluations
San José State University
One Washington Square
San Jose, CA 95192-0017

Thank you in advance!

Hey everyone! Hope someone can help me out :D

When sending college transcripts to GAPE, what mailing address do you use?

1)
Occupational Therapy Department
The Department of Occupational Therapy
Attn: Master's in OT Program
One Washington Square
San Jose, CA 95192-0059

2)
Graduate Admissions &
Program Evaluations
San José State University
One Washington Square
San Jose, CA 95192-0017

Thank you in advance!
It’s #2 since it’s for the graduate admissions. Unofficial ones would be sent to #1. That is my understanding but please double check with admissions.

It’s #2 since it’s for the graduate admissions. Unofficial ones would be sent to #1. That is my understanding but please double check with admissions.
Thank you! I 've being trying to get a hold of them but hasn't been successful.

Hey Inessa, a Facebook group or even GroupMe would be great. I’ve been waiting for registration to open.

Also hoping they create the class Facebook group soon. Last year the Grad Assistant created it on 2/17, but other years it’s been created as early as mid January. Looking forward to meeting my future classmates.

Good luck to all those still waiting for decisions.
Me too! Can’t wait!

Hi everyone!! I was a later applicant…sent in my OTCAS and GAPE on 1/5 and they received my physical application packet on 1/11. I received an email that I was conditionally accepted on 1/21! I didn’t think I’d make it in to SJSU, to be honest.

I also applied to Samuel Merritt’s OTD program. I’m a second time applicant for SMU and was waitlisted both years, and a first time applicant for SJSU. Thank you to whoever created this thread!!

Hi everyone!! I was a later applicant…sent in my OTCAS and GAPE on 1/5 and they received my physical application packet on 1/11. I received an email that I was conditionally accepted on 1/21! I didn’t think I’d make it in to SJSU, to be honest.

I also applied to Samuel Merritt’s OTD program. I’m a second time applicant for SMU and was waitlisted both years, and a first time applicant for SJSU. Thank you to whoever created this thread!!
Congrats!!!

Wow that's a super quick notification! Nice. Congratulations!

I guess that means there's still plenty of open spots left?...hopeful news for those still waiting to hear back. :)

If you do not mind sharing, what are your stats? :)

For those who’ve been admitted and accepted have any of you heard when they plan on creating the class Facebook page? I know it was created last year on 2/17 and I’m really hoping the SJSU MSOT Class of 24 page gets created soon. I reached out to Krista the Graduate Assistant the other day to ask when she thought it would be created but I’m still waiting for a reply back.

Also, who’s planning on taking the Neuroanatomy at UCLA starting next month? We should create a GroupMe for studying.

Last edited:
For those who’ve been admitted and accepted have any of you heard when they plan on creating the class Facebook page? I know it was created last year on 2/17 and I’m really hoping the SJSU MSOT Class of 24 page gets created soon. I reached out to Krista the Graduate Assistant the other day to ask when she thought it would be created but I’m still waiting for a reply back.

Also, who’s planning on taking the Neuroanatomy at UCLA starting next month? We should create a GroupMe for studying.
I plan to take it but how do I register for the course? and is it less expensive then the one offered at SJSU?

I plan to take it but how do I register for the course? and is it less expensive then the one offered at SJSU?
Neuroanatomy at UCLA costs $810. I don’t know how much the SJSU class costs. The UCLA class has a waitlist already. Here is the link.

Krista Conn the SJSU MSOT Grad Assistant replied to my email and said she will be sending out the link to Facebook page within the next couple of days.

Hello all! I just wanted to pop in and mention that I am a current second year OT student at SJSU. I remember all too well the stress involved with applying to the program, and using a thread like this was really helpful to me. Good luck this cycle, and if anyone has any questions, I can do my best to answer them!
Hi! In regards of the Neuroanatomy course, do you have a preference over taking this class at either UCLA or SJSU? Thank you in advance!

Hi! In regards of the Neuroanatomy course, do you have a preference over taking this class at either UCLA or SJSU? Thank you in advance!
I took the course through UCLA extension because I heard it might be a little less expensive and I liked that I could complete the course during the spring quarter versus during the summer. UCLA extension's course was a good course overall and a bit challenging, but joining a study group that was created through this forum was definitely helpful for me! :)

What is everyone’s thoughts on SJSUs new OTD program. If I did the math right the cost difference is about $60,000? ($26,000 vs $86,000). In addition to the increased cost we’d be out in the workforce a year later so that’s one year of salary lost. I have done a lot of research on it and I understand that entry level there doesn’t seem to be much difference in pay but depending on where you work there could be down the line, especially if you are considering working in a schools system. Of course the doctorate would be needed for teaching and is good to have to get research grant money but they doesn’t mean those with an MSOT can’t do research. I definitely want to get my doctorate at some point, just trying to decide if it’s better to go and get it done now or go back for a post professional doctorate or even a PhD in rehab science. I’ve been told ‘going back’ isn’t always as easy at it sounds while you’re working.

Well I’m rambling (or thinking out loud may sound better). Trying to get others thoughts on it. Did anyone go to the information sessions tonight? Is anyone who got in to the MSOT looking at making the change?