Sleep Medicine Fellowship 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrS710

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone applying for a sleep medicine position in this coming July cycle ?

I am an IM resident, interested in sleep. Applying to about 20 programs across the eastcoast and midwest. Just sent out my applications today.

Was wondering if anyone else is in the same boat ?

Members don't see this ad.

Only 78.9% of positions filled in the last application cycle (not counting prematches, I suppose). And this is despite the fact that as a field we have a greater demand for providers per patient than there are currently available.

You'll do fine.

On another note, I always wonder why this board is so dead, but then only roughly 127 applicants a year likely means a small percentage of them actually visit SDN...

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea, I stumbled onto it during my IM training after having a really complicated OSA patient. Realized how little training in sleep we get as part of the IM curriculum. Took some electives in it and loved the science (and the lifestyle).

Have been discouraged to apply by quite a few people given the lack of job oppurtunities for an Internist w/ a background in sleep. But I love the work, I am sure there are a bunch of entrepreneurship ideas I could use post the fellowship.

I have an interest in Sleep as well, but I'm also concerned about job opportunities, especially as a Psychiatrist. I'm hoping to do a Sleep elective in my PGY4 year, to get a better idea.

http://www.nrmp.org/fellowships/sleep-medicine-match/

According to this timeline, does that mean interviews are usually around Aug-Sept? And when roughly should I submit ERAS application? April? May?

I am planning on applying next summer, for 2018 start.

You can start sending applications in July. July 15th to be exact is when the programs download the applications (via ERAS).

Interviews are usually in Aug - September. Rank list stuff in October and then Match in November.

Hi,

I am applying this year, but I applied late. Have anyone got any interviews yet?

Hi,

I am applying this year, but I applied late. Have anyone got any interviews yet?

You'll be fine. I've been in touch with my top 10 programs, most are still reviewing applications. I've got 5 IV's so far.

What's your background in ?

I am from neurophys background. Applied to 15 programs, but got only 3 IV, but I applied late.

Quite nervous now since it is quite late to get iv. Thought it was not very competitive.

Last edited:
should we compile a list programs that already offered IV?

should we compile a list programs that already offered IV?
I do not think it is late- guys lets help each other and not stress one another!
Applied July 25th to 10 places NE coast.
Two IVs so far
UPenn
UMaryland

Hey guys,
Im a psych resident and I applied to 15 programs in the northeast. Ive received 4 interviews and JHH asked me for the supplemental application.
IVs: UMMS, Dartmouth, Seton hall, Jefferson.

any more updates on IVs?
One more interview from Beth Israel Deaconess in Boston- it looks like they have interview spots up until late October so I think the interview invitations will start rolling in the next couple of weeks.
Do not loose faith!
Still waiting to hear from NYU, Temple and a couple places I applied in New York.

Interview invites so far:
1. Drexel
2. U Miami
3. GW in DC
4. UW in Seattle.
5. Cleveland Clinic
6. Baylor

Hopkins sent me the supplemental application as well. Have not heard back from them after submitting that one. I was looking forward to hearing back from Beth Israel and Upenn. Guess they are done with their invites : /

Interview invites so far:
1. Drexel
2. U Miami
3. GW in DC
4. UW in Seattle.
5. Cleveland Clinic
6. Baylor

Hopkins sent me the supplemental application as well. Have not heard back from them after submitting that one. I was looking forward to hearing back from Beth Israel and Upenn. Guess they are done with their invites : /
I am not sure if they are done.
I have some extensive sleep research background so maybe this is what they are looking for in an applicant!

And I also did not get from Drexel!!!

Yea, your probably right. I do not have any sleep research background, but have completed electives in sleep medicine (got some good letters from there) and also volunteer with the AASM. Drexel was a really nice program though ! Will be ranking it quite high.

Just got another interview from UIC - Chicago.

AND I sent an email to University of Chicago who informed me that they are done with their interview invites. So do not expect to hear from them if anyone still interested.

Anyone has got an invitation from Stanford already or they are still reviewing?

Anyone has got an invitation from Stanford already or they are still reviewing?

Not sure. I haven't applied there due to personal + geographic reasons. Hopefully someone else can help answer that.

How many places does the average applicant need to apply to or interview at to match?

I wouldn't say many... this past year there were about 30 spots unfilled in the Match, and I suspect most of them were due to geographic reasons.

If you want a spot in a nice place, it's still a bit of work. If you just want any spot, then apply everywhere and you needn't worry.

Anybody got any new invitations? I got one from Vanderbilt. Is it too late to get more invitations? Any updates?

Anybody got any new invitations? I got one from Vanderbilt. Is it too late to get more invitations? Any updates?

A lot of the Chicago programs have replied. Got invites from UIC, Northwestern and Rush. Got one from Emory today as well. I think they are still reviewing applications. From what I understand Critical care gets priority first (since they are off match) then sleep then pulm-crit. Assuming the sleep fellowship is part of the Pulm department. Some have it under neuro.

You'll likely get interview invites up until late Sept. Especially as programs re-evaluate mid-cycle and send out more interviews to boost their chances at the Match.

Never heard of programs giving priority to different specialties. Some programs may favor critical care more only because traditionally that is what they had (plus Pulm background is somewhat naturally in step with managing CPAP and such).

I have received interviews in Neurology-based, Pulmonology-based, and Psychiatry-based departments, and did not feel that any of the divisions were more favorable to their specialty than others (except perhaps favorable to their own internally-based residency programs).

Reactions: 1 user
You'll likely get interview invites up until late Sept. Especially as programs re-evaluate mid-cycle and send out more interviews to boost their chances at the Match.

Never heard of programs giving priority to different specialties. Some programs may favor critical care more only because traditionally that is what they had (plus Pulm background is somewhat naturally in step with managing CPAP and such).

I have received interviews in Neurology-based, Pulmonology-based, and Psychiatry-based departments, and did not feel that any of the divisions were more favorable to their specialty than others (except perhaps favorable to their own internally-based residency programs).

All true.

What I meant with my statement about giving priority is in regards to the match. Since usually Sleep Medicine is part of the Pulm / Crit department, they prioritize the critical care match first since there are no deadlines for that and they need to pre-match all applicants (if they delay reviewing that, they lose the best candidates). After that is done is when they start reviewing Sleep Medicine applicants. So we may get interview invites (like you mentioned) all the way up until the end of September.

And also agreeing with what you mentioned, in all my interviews so far I felt the same, no priority is given to a certain background when it comes to a sleep fellowship. What they are looking for is interest in the field.

Just wonder what sleep programs are psychiatry-based?

For starters, the biggest and arguably most prestigious sleep program in the US is. (Stanford)

Others include:
Dartmouth
University of Wisconsin
Thomas Jefferson University
John Hopkins

Has anyone heard from Stanford yet? It's the only program I haven't heard back from yet.

FM resident here.. Really interested in sleep medicine. Its good to hear that there are many programs that go unfilled... Since the fellowship is only a year I wouldnt really care about location too much.. any advice? At my wifes residency their sleep fellowship is run jointly through the psych and FM depts, the last two years they ve taken 1 fellow a year and its been an FM doc each year. The director of the program does say he places a high value on sleep related research.

Do most applicants have research experience?

When I was on the interview trail, most did not (the nature being that it is hard to get into research in the field unless you are at an institution that is dedicated to it) so it did not matter much overall, but those that did (like myself) stood out a bit as mentioned by the PDs.

Last edited:
When I was on the interview trail, most did not (the nature being that it is hard to get into research in the field unless you are at an institution that is dedicated to it) so it did not matter much overall, but those that did (like myself) stood out a bit as mentioned by the PDs.

Thanks for the reply :)

What did you do your residency in? What were the most important factors/qualities were the programs looking for?

All the best guys ! Hope we match where we wanted.

Reactions: 1 users
Do you know anything about Baylor program. There is a review about the program from 2015, wondering if anything has changed.