Snacks while studying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemdoctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious what all of you eat while studying? Adcoms members are welcome to reply as to what they used to eat?

Personally, I go to my local Starbucks but if not, I’ll usually have a cliff bar or some type of protein bar, with water (or soda) and maybe some candy

Members don't see this ad.

I don’t like to snack while I’m studying. I save the snacking for breaks otherwise I’ll just mindlessly eat a bag of junk before I realize it. And I eat unhealthy enough as it is. But when I do have a snack break it’s usually something with a lot of flavor. Spicy, salty or sweet

Reactions: 3 users
I work best when fasted. If I do get hungry, usually an apple or baby carrots (hence my username) are good to tie me over

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't eat while studying either, I find it distracting. I do use food as a reward though, like after an hour of studying I like to take a break and eat a small snack. This is usually motivating lol

Reactions: 1 user
Damn you guys are strong. I get hungry so often haha. And I eat pretty unhealthy ^~^

Damn you guys are strong. I get hungry so often haha. And I eat pretty unhealthy ^~^

I cut out sugar, fried food and alcohol for 25 days. The first 5 days were hell and then I got used to it. I was rarely hungry. A snack at home or at a place like Starbucks was a cheese stick or some roasted nuts (not the kind coated with sugar). Everything went to hell over the holidays (yeah, months ago) but if you start eating healthy, some of the cravings and unhealthy habits will fade and new habits will take their place.

Reactions: 2 users
I cut out sugar, fried food and alcohol for 25 days. The first 5 days were hell and then I got used to it. I was rarely hungry. A snack at home or at a place like Starbucks was a cheese stick or some roasted nuts (not the kind coated with sugar). Everything went to hell over the holidays (yeah, months ago) but if you start eating healthy, some of the cravings and unhealthy habits will fade and new habits will take their place.

So true. Any time I commit to eating healthy I just can’t do it. 25 days!? How? I can’t help but get a frappucino. And then I need to go get some fast food like chick fil a or something haha

The tricky thing about sugar is how sneaky it is. My aunt absolutely refuses to believe that barbecue sauce is ~70% sugar.

So true. Any time I commit to eating healthy I just can’t do it. 25 days!? How? I can’t help but get a frappucino. And then I need to go get some fast food like chick fil a or something haha

Try to do is slowly. Maybe start off by cutting out junk two days a week, then work yourself up to 2/3/4 days a week. And then cut it out.

Try to do is slowly. Maybe start off by cutting out junk two days a week, then work yourself up to 2/3/4 days a week. And then cut it out.

Will try haha. The craving of a hot chicken sandwich with some Dr Pepper is strong haha

I committed to 25 days on, 3 days off. Scheduled the off days to include my book group night which is the one day each month when I drink wine. I kept going for about 6 months until all the holiday goodies sent me into the abyss.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I committed to 25 days on, 3 days off. Scheduled the off days to include my book group night which is the one day each month when I drink wine. I kept going for about 6 months until all the holiday goodies sent me into the abyss.

For me, I’ll commit, drink water for maybe two - three days. Then I’ll drive by chick fil a or I’ll get coupons in the mail. Looks too great. I think I want some right now.

My fav healthy snack is roasted chickpeas. Literally just throw a can of chickpeas with some Montreal steak seasoning and olive oil on the stove top for 5 min. Super cheap, fast, and satisfies my cravings for salty crunchy food without being too unhealthy.

My fav healthy snack is roasted chickpeas. Literally just throw a can of chickpeas with some Montreal steak seasoning and olive oil on the stove top for 5 min. Super cheap, fast, and satisfies my cravings for salty crunchy food without being too unhealthy.

I thought it’d be mangoes hahah

Am I the only one that orders a family sized pizza the monday of finals week and then eat that while at the library until finals are over? Just me?

I do buy into the notion that alcohol, fried foods and sugar alters your gut bacteria in ways that affect the brain and result in cravings. You have to argue with your gut about who's boss and after awhile those wild cravings go away because your microbiome has changed. (You basically starve the gut bacteria who constantly scream, "feed us more sugar".)

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Can confirm with the above. I cut out soda and alcohol a few years ago and it helped so much. There are certain things I'll eat occasionally (like fried foods), but going cold turkey with the above probably saved me in the long run since I'm at high risk of becoming diabetic

Reactions: 1 users
Just curious, what do y’all think of energy drinks? Red Bull? Monster?

But mountain Dew :(
Drink unsweetened iced tea or unsweetened iced coffee if you need the caffeine (I know that I do).

Take and dump 6 sugar packets in an 8 ounce cup of tea. Add a couple pinches of salt. Swallow along with a vitamin pill. Feel great yet?

Drink unsweetened iced tea or unsweetened iced coffee if you need the caffeine (I know that I do).

Take and dump 6 sugar packets in an 8 ounce cup of tea. Add a couple pinches of salt. Swallow along with a vitamin pill. Feel great yet?

Probably more than 6. Also Mountain Dew is ****ing disgusting.

Yeah for me, it’s not so much the need for caffeine. I just love the taste of the drinks.

You don’t like energy drinks? I love Red Bull and monster so much haha.

I think I’ll stick to Odwalla smoothies. But those are so sugary too.

I try to avoid snacks, but I end up snacking on chips always

Typical southerner so I survive off of Sugary drinks; such as Tea, Sodas, etc lol. If I need to stay up I will drink several cups of plain coffee if available. Helps that I have my own coffee maker in my appt. Gevalia is a favorite brand of mine whilst studying.

The thing with me, is I’m always up late at night. I’m just not someone that sleeps very often. It’s funny but it’s true. I drink these sugary sodas Bc they taste good. Not so much because I need them to stay up.

The thing with me, is I’m always up late at night. I’m just not someone that sleeps very often. It’s funny but it’s true. I drink these sugary sodas Bc they taste good. Not so much because I need them to stay up.
You say that and I am almost the exact same. I don't necessarily need caffeine to stay awake, there is just probably a consistent amount of it in my system. Plus sodas just taste so good. I can run off 4-6 hours of sleep quite effectively. Less if needed.

Maybe you’d sleep better if you didn’t drink soda.

• Haha
You say that and I am almost the exact same. I don't necessarily need caffeine to stay awake, there is just probably a consistent amount of it in my system. Plus sodas just taste so good. I can run off 4-6 hours of sleep quite effectively. Less if needed.

Same. I can easily do 5 hours of sleep. Idk why or how. I’m just high energy honestly.

Funny thing... your body craves carbs if/when you stay up late. If you know that you don't need the calories and it is just the biome talking, you can take it as a signal that you should go to sleep rather than fueling (over fueling) biological systems that are keeping you awake. Sure, you can stay up but it isn't necessarily good to do so.

Reactions: 3 users
Funny thing... your body craves carbs if/when you stay up late. If you know that you don't need the calories and it is just the biome talking, you can take it as a signal that you should go to sleep rather than fueling (over fueling) biological systems that are keeping you awake. Sure, you can stay up but it isn't necessarily good to do so.

Staying up is so much fun haha. You can play games, read stories, watch Netflix, etc. sleeping is boring xP

Mehhhhhh. Sleep is still pretty boring. Your body gets used to not having much after awhile. Pretty easy for me honestly.

That’s not really true. Your brain thinks you’re getting used to it, but the negative effects continue. Poor sleep is really strongly linked with dementia. I don’t know if you’ve ever known anyone with dementia, but that’s like one of my biggest fears about getting older.

And I’m in the military, so I’ve had years of terrible and interrupted sleep. I try to get as much good sleep as I can now just to feel like I’m doing something.

Way too much sugar for me, lol. Also they do the trick a little too well (in terms of keeping me awake). My preferred choice of staying awake if I need to is black coffee

I eat Publix Peanut Butter Pretzels when I study. Those things hit different. I guess I'll also have protein bars. As for energy drinks (I don't drink coffee/soda at all), I only use them as a last resort (typically during finals when I need a bit of a boost). The white canned Monster is the way to go :) I drink one of those and I'm bouncing off the walls for 5+ hours haha.

I eat Publix Peanut Butter Pretzels when I study. Those things hit different. I guess I'll also have protein bars. As for energy drinks (I don't drink coffee/soda at all), I only use them as a last resort (typically during finals when I need a bit of a boost). The white canned Monster is the way to go :) I drink one of those and I'm bouncing off the walls for 5+ hours haha.

Those are awesome. White can is great. I like the lemonade flavored monster

Me: I'll get Starbucks to motivate myself to study
Also me: Gets Starbucks and continues to not study
Caramel macchiatos are perfect <3