So tell me, why did you pick IM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got rejected from what I actually wanted to do and rocketed to the very bottom of my rank list to the only IM program I applied to. I hate about 90% of what I do - the time we spend in the ER or the ICU have been the only bright spots of the year but it's a paycheck every two weeks while I try to climb out of this hole and into second residency.
ha-ha.

Just gonna put this here...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-04-14 at 10.05.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-04-14 at 10.05.52 PM.png
    202.6 KB · Views: 162
Members don't see this ad :)
A couple things to note:

1: that survey separated out cards/gi/etc so "IM" is more accurately "general IM".

2: there is a significant population of IM docs who are in this field not by choice but by necessity (same with FM). These people are also, not coincidentally, very likely to hate their jobs, answer medscape surveys, and post in this thread. I don't think their experience reflects what I can expect as a student who chose IM because it was my favorite specialty.

Or I could be wrong and wind up hating my career. Who knows. I'll still have a job where I make at least 5 times what my dad used to support our family of 6 on, so I'll have that going for me.

A couple things to note:

1: that survey separated out cards/gi/etc so "IM" is more accurately "general IM".

2: there is a significant population of IM docs who are in this field not by choice but by necessity (same with FM). These people are also, not coincidentally, very likely to hate their jobs, answer medscape surveys, and post in this thread. I don't think their experience reflects what I can expect as a student who chose IM because it was my favorite specialty.

Or I could be wrong and wind up hating my career. Who knows. I'll still have a job where I make at least 5 times what my dad used to support our family of 6 on, so I'll have that going for me.
How about the fact that 60% of dermatologists are still unhappy at work? I hate this graph. It's not like people are more unhappy; it's just a percentage that identifies as unhappy, meaning that any small differences are effectively meaningless.

Large dogs

Reactions: 1 user

Yeah except that a self reported survey doesn't mean anything.

Everyone is different and has separate personality traits that will predispose them to like one thing over another. Look at how many unhappy dermatologists there are - ain't all money and lifestyle.