Social Life In Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Falconclaw

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Before you tell me to go look at older threads on this topic, I did, and they're from a while ago and suck.

Anyway, I was wondering what the social life is like in medical school. Obviously it's different from undergrad, since people are studying much more, but I was wondering if it's still social enough that people make friends and hang out instead of everyone just doing their own thing and finding their own way.

Do med students usually share apartments?

Members don't see this ad.

expect to be alone 95% of the time

Members don't see this ad :)
Some people manage to get out, some don't. The important thing is to realize that pre-clinical grades are one of the least important factors for residency placement. Also, it's crazy when you see people who were at the top of their class all of a sudden failing things left and right.

Hopefully you will have time for family, friends, and for those things you are genuinely passionate about, like the volunteer work and other things you did as a pre-med.

around here, most people share apartaments, though i have to say most people arent close friends with their apartment mates. Rather tolerant.

So much for meeting my wife in med school
tfw no gf

The way I look at it, I'll still be in my upper 20's when I'm done. Plenty of time, especially with the average age of marriage increasing every year.

But no, life doesn't just suddenly stop when you go to school. It's all about balance. If you can't handle friendships/relationships in med school...residency is going to be a rude awakening. Definitely not as much time as undergrad

Before you tell me to go look at older threads on this topic, I did, and they're from a while ago and suck.

Anyway, I was wondering what the social life is like in medical school. Obviously it's different from undergrad, since people are studying much more, but I was wondering if it's still social enough that people make friends and hang out instead of everyone just doing their own thing and finding their own way.

Do med students usually share apartments?

You can make time for a social life. You see the same people in your class, and the few weeks are when everyone is all friendly. The orientation mixers are a good way to first meet people. After a while, people will break off and do their own things, in addition to hanging out and talking to people they click with.

People in your class will want to share study guides and neat things found in cadavers, in addition to forming study groups. So, while you need to find the method that works for you to succeed, you aren't doing it alone. You can always find people to talk to, do activities with, and more importantly, go out for drinks and and try to drink away that horrid Neuroscience test :p

Med students do share apartments. For a lot of people, it's cheaper to share rent, and the company is nice. Although it's not for everyone, I would say a good amount end up living with others(whether it's another med student or a non-med student)

Not doin' it right.

You gotta hit two birds with one stone. Study with the hot chick(s) in class.

friendzone-level-99.jpg

Not doin' it right.

You gotta hit two birds with one stone. Study with the hot chick(s) in class.
:thumbup:
I definitely plan on finding an FWB in med school

youre not doing it right then.
You should start out by establishing that you want more than friendship.

Be alpha, beta... And if that doesnt workout, study with new hot chicks, stress them out, then suggest ways to relieve that stress....
If_you_know_what_I_mean_.png

Its exactly like high school OP

except there's no 18 year old girls :(

Members don't see this ad :)
and yes college girls will go for med students as long as they have no knowledge of how medical training works or how much you're paying for it, and you make sure they never find out

ftfy

its ok age of consent is 15 in my state

and yes college girls will go for med students if you got ur game on right brah

yeah just dont mention ur a med student. dont want to attract gold diggers

why not? I'm ok with it as long as they are hot enough

cuz she will cheat on you why u work ur butt off in the hospital and use all the money on shopping sprees

why not? I'm ok with it as long as they are hot enough

Google broke professional athletes (the people most frequently targeted by gold diggers) and look at the ones who had costly divorce settlements... see if that changes your mind.:laugh:

cuz she will cheat on you why u work ur butt off in the hospital and use all the money on shopping sprees

I agree with M8... we arent going to be wifing these gold diggers.... just enjoying something casual...

And realistically getting a girl is never free. it always costs money...

I definitely plan on finding an FWB in med school

youre not doing it right then.
You should start out by establishing that you want more than friendship.

Be alpha, beta... And if that doesnt workout, study with new hot chicks, stress them out, then suggest ways to relieve that stress....
If_you_know_what_I_mean_.png

This "alpha" and "beta" attitude is borderline sociopathic. Have you honestly shared a meaningful relationship with a woman using this outlook?

This "alpha" and "beta" attitude is borderline sociopathic. Have you honestly shared a meaningful relationship with a woman using this outlook?

Yes I have. ALL women like men who take charge and have confidence in their actions, especially bold ones. That is the alpha mentality. It is to be the best you can be.

This alpha male mentality also translates to other aspects of your life.
IDK about you but I would rather have an alpha doctor who knows what he is doing and has initiative compared to a beta doctor who second guesses himself.

:thumbup: preach brothers!

People need to stop hating the players and start hating the game.

Yes I have. ALL women like men who take charge and have confidence in their actions, especially bold ones. That is the alpha mentality. It is to be the best you can be.

IDK about you but I would rather have an alpha doctor who knows what he is doing and has initiative compared to a beta doctor who second guesses himself.

hallelujah on everything said in this post

Of course, it is very important to establish your dominance when in a group of new medical students, generally through frequent and vocal displays of your academic prestige. Generally you have to prove yourself more aggressive out of the group when you're the newcomer, if you want to hope to gain access to any of the females. Now, that's only after the first privilege of the senior resident in the group, denoted by the silver on the back of his coat.

There's nothing wrong with confidence. Suggesting someone stress a girl out to more easily persuade her into having sex on the other hand, is strange and unnerving.

I first saw this attitude on the boards and assumed it was sarcasm. But seeing it repeatedly expressed leads me to believe otherwise.

There's nothing wrong with confidence. Suggesting someone stress a girl out to more easily persuade her into having sex on the other hand, is strange and unnerving.

I first saw this attitude on the boards and assumed it was sarcasm. But seeing it repeatedly expressed leads me to believe otherwise.

its-a-joke-not-a-dick.jpg

This is sarcasm.

yga8uqes.jpg

hallelujah on everything said in this post
:thumbup: Glad you and I think alike

Of course, it is very important to establish your dominance when in a group of new medical students, generally through frequent and vocal displays of your academic prestige. Generally you have to prove yourself more aggressive out of the group when you're the newcomer, if you want to hope to gain access to any of the females. Now, that's only after the first privilege of the senior resident in the group, denoted by the silver on the back of his coat.

No sir.If you frequently try to display dominance through your grades, you will come across as a d-bag or a tool. Displaying dominance shouldn't be done through grades/MCAT. Rather through your actions, leadership skills, and ability to inspire others.

This type of joke is known as sarcasm or cynicism.

This is sarcasm.

yga8uqes.jpg

Gandalf the wise speaks the truth!

I really hope it is sarcasm. Perusing the bb.com boards, one can see the attitude so frequently expressed it becomes quite obvious that these young men are completely serious. They see guys with ripped abs and big guns in their avatars acting like douche bags and think they should imitate this behavior. Only thing is, all the PUA and treat girls like **** nonsense only works on girls. Women, on the other hand want a man AND respect. Out of high school and the first couple years of college it's a different game.

The only reason I bring up bb.com is because it is fairly obvious this is where you adopted your paradigm towards women from

No sir.If you frequently try to display dominance through your grades, you will come across as a d-bag or a tool. Displaying dominance shouldn't be done through grades/MCAT. Rather through your actions, leadership skills, and ability to inspire others.

I like how everything except this part of the post catches the jokes.

I swear I need to poll people on pre-allo on gender because it somehow always feels like a 98% of the people on this board are males...

I really hope it is sarcasm. Perusing the bb.com boards, one can see the attitude so frequently expressed it becomes quite obvious that these young men are completely serious. They see guys with ripped abs and big guns in their avatars acting like douche bags and think they should imitate this behavior. Only thing is, all the PUA and treat girls like **** nonsense only works on girls. Women, on the other hand want a man AND respect. Out of high school and the first couple years of college it's a different game.

The only reason I bring up bb.com is because it is fairly obvious this is where you adopted your paradigm towards women from

1) there is a reason you see those guys - girls frequently go for the a-holes/d-bags because of the inherent risk and the desire to change them into a worthwhile relationship. Consequently, many men imitate that behavior to attract females. If women preferred gentlemen, chivalry would not be dead.

2) The fact that you used the phrase "PUA" aka Pick-Up Artist leads me to believe that you peruse those sites... for obvious reasons. You cant attack a group of people that you are trying to take advice from.

From my experience, the "high school" phase doesnt die out in college. If anything it is more pronounced due to the increased freedom and the partying. I do agree that women have their head straight about what they want, but they will never go for a beta over an alpha.

Ive dated both age groups so I do speak from my own experience, not from a website.

The only thing I use BB.com for is to order products and to look at their workout programs/database. I dont adopt other people's 'paradigms' or beliefs. Instead I believe what I see. What you see is what you get.

Lol--most people know what pua is. I don't adopt their "techniques", rest assured. Like I said, there is nothing wrong with self-confidence and being a man--women love it, in fact its a prereq. It's the overcompensating for insecurity by acting like what you think an alpha male is that women start to see through by a certain age. Like it or not thats the truth.

Lol--most people know what pua is. I don't adopt their "techniques", rest assured. Like I said, there is nothing wrong with self-confidence and being a man--women love it, in fact its a prereq. It's the overcompensating for insecurity by acting like what you think an alpha male is that women start to see through by a certain age. Like it or not thats the truth.

ok....stud :naughty:

I like how this thread exploded from a question about social life to this :naughty:

Not all women do. And seeing as I am 23 and most of the SDN users/pre-meds are 20-25, we will not be reaching the stage you are referring to anytime soon.

I have described an alpha male to be someone who exudes confidence, has leadership skills, is a go-getter, has initiative, and inspires others. Not one aspect of that is any form of overcompensation or insecurity.

I like how this thread exploded from a question about social life to this :naughty:

technically girls/getting laid is part of the social life :smuggrin:

I picked up the sociopathic bb.com misc mentality in your post, and wanted to point it out. You claim it was sarcasm but I can't help but think you really meant it

Not all women do. And seeing as I am 23 and most of the SDN users/pre-meds are 20-25, we will not be reaching the stage you are referring to anytime soon.

I have described an alpha male to be someone who exudes confidence, has leadership skills, is a go-getter, has initiative, and inspires others. Not one aspect of that is any form of overcompensation or insecurity.

technically girls/getting laid is part of the social life :smuggrin:

True, true. As long as you don't bang the one girl that thinks kissing = putting a ring on it :eek:

Do hot chicks even exist in medical school? Nursing students (females) that's where is at. :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.