Social Life In Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am courteous to everyone, but if I can take you home at the end of the night after meeting you in a bar... youre not going to have more respect than the girl who dates/does relationships and takes the time to know the guys she sleeps with.

You're just as complicit in that as your partner, and should be shown the same respect (or lack thereof) you'd accord to her. If you want a one night stand that's fine, but don't pretend that you're just fulfilling your evolutionary drive or whatever and your partner is being a ho. That's a middle school attitude.

Also realize that it's not binary. Doing one thing doesn't lock you into that for perpetuity. I have guy friends who've had one night stands, but that doesn't mean that I think that's all they do or are capable of when it comes to relationships. The same is true of women.

Members don't see this ad.

I really hate his "started from the bottom" song...

He grew up in the suburbs..
He was a TV star on DeGrassi
He was a rapper while on that show..

How did he start from the bottom??

Because he didn't get an Iphone at 6 years old, and didn't have a shiny car at 12. It's such a depressing story for kids like that, but somehow they come out of it ok.

Especially the poor saps who get a black Ipad 2 instead of a white Ipad 2...

Because he didn't get an Iphone at 6 years old, and didn't have a shiny car at 12. It's such a depressing story for kids like that, but somehow they come out of it ok.

Don't be naive. He's going to carry around those scars for life. Art is born from tragedy.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're just as complicit in that as your partner, and should be shown the same respect (or lack thereof) you'd accord to her. If you want a one night stand that's fine, but don't pretend that you're just fulfilling your evolutionary drive or whatever and your partner is being a ho. That's a middle school attitude.

Also realize that it's not binary. Doing one thing doesn't lock you into that for perpetuity. I have guy friends who've had one night stands, but that doesn't mean that I think that's all they do or are capable of when it comes to relationships. The same is true of women.

I agree, but that would happen in an "ideal world" where everyone is treated across the board equally. However we all know that doesnt work. I dont agree with it, I am just stating what its true.

Again, that biological imperative is just more of our primal instincts.. It doesnt mean that I said I was fulfilling it. We obviously choose our actions because we have evolved as humans. But that doesnt mean that the original base instinct isnt there.

[

1) it was a scenario... I like how you avoided the question. And most men would pick the one with lesser partners.

I like how you avoided the question about how you know how many men each twin has slept with. Most females don't choose their partners by the number of sexual partners a person has had(if one could actually tell this by looking at a person or talking to them briefly, it's not usually a first date question :laugh:,), they choose by personality, connection, compatibility etc.. Those can be vastly different even in an identical twin. It's a ridiculous hypothetical, which is why I didn't respond to it.

2) Yea its a biological imperative for men to sleep with as many women as they can. Its been seen time and time again. I like how you didnt refute this either.

Because it's irrelevant to the discussion, there are many things that are biological imperatives that don't define how we interact with our fellow human beings (which makes us separate from animals).

3) that quote is actually very popular, not from an Al-Qaeda handbook...
Men get respect because they work for it. If you havent earned it, why would you be given it?

So a woman can't get respect the same way? You don't judge a man by how many partners he has, why would you judge a woman that way?

4) I've never had a complaint. Also this is not workplace conversation... you're there to get work done, not waste time talking about gossip.

Your attitudes will eventually be reflected in your interactions with your colleagues.

It isnt the gender roles that pre-disposes people to sexual assault. They have existed for a very long time. Rather, its prevalence in this generation is more due to events that involve alcohol/drugs/etc.

Actually, gender roles of hypermasculinity do predispose sexual assault...

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1023/A%3A1020488928736

I like how you avoided the question about how you know how many men each twin has slept with. Most females don't choose their partners by the number of sexual partners a person has had(if one could actually tell this by looking at a person or talking to them briefly, it's not usually a first date question :laugh:,), they choose by personality, connection, compatibility etc.. Those can be vastly different even in an identical twin. It's a ridiculous hypothetical, which is why I didn't respond to it.

The answer still stands that most men will go for the women who has slept with less men.

Because it's irrelevant to the discussion, there are many things that are biological imperatives that don't define how we interact with our fellow human beings (which makes us separate from animals).

I agree that we are able to separate our instincts from our choices, but dont kid yourself if you think they dont play a role in our decisions.

So a woman can't get respect the same way? You don't judge a man by how many partners he has, why would you judge a woman that way?

They can. Society however judges women for their behavior more so than men. Its not something I agree with, but its something thats obviously present.

Your attitudes will eventually be reflected in your interactions with your colleagues.

To say that sleeping around reflects poorly on your character? If my attitude reflects that then fine. An opinion not considered sexual harassment.

Actually, gender roles of hypermasculinity do predispose sexual assault...

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1023/A%3A1020488928736

If you read what I said, I was talking about the increase of sexual assault in this generation, not over the whole era

They can. Society however judges women for their behavior more so than men. Its not something I agree with, but its something thats obviously present.

Of course it's present. You say you don't agree with it, but your previous statements defend judging a woman by her sexual partners.

If you don't agree with it, why do you feel the need to continue to perpetuate it with such statements as this classic...

If you dont want to be treated as a hoe, stop acting like it..

The girl(and guy!) that slept with more people at least can teach you new and exciting moves :naughty:

Ehh... maybe out of insecurity. To be honest I think experience is a good thing.

I agree that some experience is good,
but I doubt you would want a car that has 100,000 miles on it. ( this is an example... i am not comparing women's worth to cars)

Of course it's present. You say you don't agree with it, but your previous statements defend judging a woman by her sexual partners.

If you don't agree with it, why do you feel the need to continue to perpetuate it with such statements as this classic...

because I hate it when all these hos act all upset that they cant get a man or be treated with respect and wonder what they're doing wrong.

and also because I like playing the devil's advocate.

Members don't see this ad :)
wow

c9Ups.gif

thats almost omega

lol but seriously doctors are supposed to be alpha. beta doctors kill the patient's confidence

lol, that was pretty much me. The bucket was my notebook, hose was the stetho and the car was some old lady's bed.

teach you the latest moves and the latest algorithms for std screening.

I think this is deeper than the behaviors of individuals. Just look at the morals and standards of our time.

Clearly their mistake was sleeping with a man on the first date and thus meeting his definition of a ho...

And yet I ask? What does that make the man?

And your point about men preferring women with less partners fails to explain the billion dollar prostitute/sex slave industry. :confused:

How often are men called hos? how often are women? Exactly

and how many men marry those prostitutes/sex slaves?

And in the sex slave industry, women who are new ( havent has as much sex) or virgins are prized more and cost more money, thus PROVING my point. :laugh:

and how many men marry those prostitutes/sex slaves?

And in the sex slave industry, women who are new ( havent has as much sex) or virgins are prized more and cost more money, thus PROVING my point. :laugh:

Man, if you're as judgmental and disdainful to your patients as you are to your social peers (especially all those "hos" who don't deserve respect), I feel bad for your future patients and med school classmates. You will rightfully be reviled.

Everyday I'm shufflin'
doo doo doo doo doo doo dooo shufflin shuffling

Man, if you're as judgmental and disdainful to your patients as you are to your social peers (especially all those "hos" who don't deserve respect), I feel bad for your future patients and med school classmates. You will rightfully be reviled.

This is my opinion on people I date, not people I will treat.

I, unlike a lot of people, can clearly separate my professional and personal life.

And lets not pretend doctors dont judge their patients. Every single doctor I have shadowed has talked down about their patients in some form or another.

Exactly what? Some peope use the the n word to describe black people when they think are acting a certain way. Does that make it right? Most people would classify them as a racist.

Why is right to call a woman a derogatory name when she acts a way that you don't agree with? What does make you?

I think the term is misogynist...

Just cause all of society hasn't caught up to the 21st century, doesn't make it right.

Like Red Panda said, I hope you grow up a bit in your attitudes before you start seeing patients (especially females).

Exactly what? Some peope use the the n word to describe black people when they think are acting a certain way. Does that make it right? Most people would classify them as a racist.

Why is right to call a woman a derogatory name when she acts a way that you don't agree with? What does make you?

I think the term is misogynist...

Just cause all of society hasn't caught up to the 21st century, doesn't make it right.

Like Red Panda said, I hope you grow up a bit in your attitudes before you start seeing patients (especially females).

Most men dont drop the n word. The ones that do are often black. And if you dont already know, most black people say it to each other often...

Men calling a woman a ho for being a ho is not misogynistic. Its simply the truth..

Most men dont drop the n word. The ones that do are often black. And if you dont already know, most black people say it to each other often...

Men calling a woman a ho for being a ho is not misogynistic. Its simply the truth..

I am well aware that black people say it to themselves. For them, it's a reclaimed word that was used in a derogatory manner often in another era. Racists still use it and a white person saying it to black person in that manner would be classified as a racist by most folks.

You still have yet to give me a definition of what a ho is and how it is any different from using the n word (besides the fact that women don't usually use it among eachother) to describe a women and how it doesn't make you misogynistic.

It's a derogatory term to describe a woman whose behavior would be acceptable (even perhaps lauded) if she were a man, but somehow disgusting, immoral, and undesirable in a woman. (that's my definition BTW)

Wow...as a woman I really, really hope that the poor attitudes towards women in this chat aren't expressed, or at least not as if they are justified by saying "well everyone else thinks so so it's true", in whatever medical school I hopefully end up being admitted to.

I'm with Ismet, it's kind of sickening to read it, but on the other hand you just can't help yourself, knowing that someone out there thinks you're completely unworthy of respect despite whatever other accomplishments you may have because you had sex with more men than meets their criteria. And has no qualms about saying so, nor thinks there's anything wrong with it.

I guess it's really not that surprising...this is the internet after all. Here's where you can air out all the opinions you know would negatively reflect on you if you were expressing them to people who know you and may be in a position to affect your life if they don't agree with them.

Lol, thanks for hijacking the thread, guys. I was really looking for dating advice on a pre-med forum :p

Anyway, this is the assessment of med school from someone I know who went to Optometry School. Seems pretty accurate, but I have no idea. The actual med students can confirm:

An important thing to keep in mind is that the people going to med school are just kind of boring by nature, for the most part. The characteristics needed to be one of the few that completes a pre-med science curriculum and is accepted and then makes it through med school, and is willing and able to make all those sacrifices for all those years up through the end of residency, does not result in the world's most fascinating person. It results in a relatively disciplined person who is willing to significantly delay gratification while quietly working toward a pretty long-term goal without getting too distracted or sidelined. Doctors are no more exciting than accountants.

But I don't want to give you an exaggerated negative impression. You will be part of a larger group that is sharing the same experience (much more so than in college) and will have people with which to commiserate and emotionally support each other through your suffering and stress (kind of like the Army haha); that's really kind of the main point of studying together or just hanging out. And that helps a lot; it's nice to feel that you're not alone but in this together.

Lol, thanks for hijacking the thread, guys. I was really looking for dating advice on a pre-med forum :p

Anyway, this is the assessment of med school from someone I know who went to Optometry School. Seems pretty accurate, but I have no idea. The actual med students can confirm:

Med students are NOT that boring haha. Once you get to know people, you'll see ;)

Can't believe this thing went three pages worth of misc before someone uncorked Burnett's Law.

Can't believe this thing went three pages worth of misc before someone uncorked Burnett's Law.

Not gonna lie here. I'm pretty sure it's hard to separate misogyny in one's "personal" life from professional life.

Secondly, so "ho" is derived from a term for a prostitute, I'm not entirely sure why one would use such a term for someone who sleeps with some number of other people (considered to be large) for their own pleasure and not for secondary gain.

Wow...as a woman I really, really hope that the poor attitudes towards women in this chat aren't expressed, or at least not as if they are justified by saying "well everyone else thinks so so it's true", in whatever medical school I hopefully end up being admitted to.

I'm with Ismet, it's kind of sickening to read it, but on the other hand you just can't help yourself, knowing that someone out there thinks you're completely unworthy of respect despite whatever other accomplishments you may have because you had sex with more men than meets their criteria. And has no qualms about saying so, nor thinks there's anything wrong with it.

I guess it's really not that surprising...this is the internet after all. Here's where you can air out all the opinions you know would negatively reflect on you if you were expressing them to people who know you and may be in a position to affect your life if they don't agree with them.

Amen, sister!

I am well aware that black people say it to themselves. For them, it's a reclaimed word that was used in a derogatory manner often in another era. Racists still use it and a white person saying it to black person in that manner would be classified as a racist by most folks.

You still have yet to give me a definition of what a ho is and how it is any different from using the n word (besides the fact that women don't usually use it among eachother) to describe a women and how it doesn't make you misogynistic.

It's a derogatory term to describe a woman whose behavior would be acceptable (even perhaps lauded) if she were a man, but somehow disgusting, immoral, and undesirable in a woman. (that's my definition BTW)

A ho is basically another word for a slut/woman with loose morals. And TRUST me on this, women call each other hos/slut/bitch/etc more than you let on.

You're argument has won me over.

Not gonna lie here. I'm pretty sure it's hard to separate misogyny in one's "personal" life from professional life.

Secondly, so "ho" is derived from a term for a prostitute, I'm not entirely sure why one would use such a term for someone who sleeps with some number of other people (considered to be large) for their own pleasure and not for secondary gain.

Again, my observations is not misogyny... its just what I see.

If I see a girl who has a different guy every night, she definitely isnt considered a lady...
And a lot of women use sex for personal or secondary gain...

since this thread is getting a bit serious, here is an interesting video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i7CcbaGF_8

Lol be sure not to visit misc then

Srs

I'm so glad the standard for one's morals if you're holding an XX genotype is how many people you sleep with. :eek:

If that's not denigrating to women, I don't know what the heck would be.

A ho is basically another word for a slut/woman with loose morals. And TRUST me on this, women call each other hos/slut/bitch/etc more than you let on.

And if they do? Once again how is it different from the n word?

Again, my observations is not misogyny... its just what I see.

Substitute the word "racism" and you could be a KKK member trying to justify why they think black people deserve to be called "N*" when they act a certain a way.

If I see a girl who has a different guy every night, she definitely isnt considered a lady...

So what's a man that does the same thing?

And a lot of women use sex for personal or secondary gain...

Another misogynist justification, as if men don't do the same thing... Just like the hundreds of military commanders who justified not prosecuting sexual assaults, because "a lot of women lied about being assaulted".

I'm so glad the standard for one's morals if you're holding an XX genotype is how many people you sleep with. :eek:

Its not the only thing, but it is definitely a factor.

And if they do? Once again how is it different from the n word?

Substitute the word "racism" and you could be a KKK member trying to justify why they think black people deserve to be called "N*" when they act a certain a way.

So what's a man that does the same thing?

Another misogynist justification, as if men don't do the same thing... Just like the hundreds of military commanders who justified not prosecuting sexual assaults, because "a lot of women lied about being assaulted".

And towards your KKK reference, The difference between this and calling a ho a ho is that the n word is used in a derogatory manner that refers to a person's color/ethnicity... something that is not controlled. A ho on the other hand can choose to reduce her ho activities or as Ludacris says, ho-tivities and the image of her being a ho wont be an issue anymore.

Men dont use sex for secondary benefits or goals.. Men's goals LEAD to sex... its the "benefit"

It's been a hoot :) I'm far from the feminist, but yeah, the manosphere Omaha Beach-style invasion of this thread was...cute. This place needs all the Mystery Method it can muster...

Trolling aint easy..

THIS. So much.

If you dont want to be treated as a hoe, stop acting like it..
Let me give you a scenario..
There are two girls (twins)... one is a hoe, one isnt. Everything about them is the same in the area of looks, personality, etc... the one difference is that one has slept with 3 guys, the other has slept with 12....

who would you pick? Thats what I thought.
respect is not given. It is earned. And in this case with women, its earned through modest behavior, not through promiscuous activity.

I'm disturbed if you're not trolling and this is genuinely what you believe. Are we back in the 50s? Do you really believe that only someone who is "modest" or chaste can be classy or considered a lady? Women have just as much right to choose who they want to sleep and how many people they want to sleep with without being called a ***** or a "ho" for doing so. This puritanical notion that a "good girl" doesn't sleep around is outdated.

I worked in rape crisis for awhile and it's this kind of attitude that perpetuates the idea that a drunk girl or a promiscuous girl - a "ho," according to you - must deserve whatever happened to her because she was being flirty, because of how she was dressed, because she chose to drink, or all of the above.

Mcloaf, thanks for giving me nightmares tonight. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.