Sociology vs anthropology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ninjaki

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have room for one elective in my schedule. I'm debating between taking a sociology class to help with the MCAT or an anthropology class that counts towards my distribution requirements. Is anthropology close enough to sociology for the MCAT? Which would you recommend?

Members don't see this ad.

Sociology for the MCAT. It’s a pretty miserable class, though.

Reactions: 1 user
Clep sociology and save the tuition money and time.

Members don't see this ad :)
The amount of sociology you need for the MCAT is not the whole breadth of an entire class. If you watch crash course sociology (YouTube) and take notes on it, that is more than sufficient. It’s about 8 hours of videos.

Take the anthropology if it is required for graduation.

None of my sociology classes helped me for the MCAT. They were all really interesting, valuable classes, but the MCAT sociology is really just a bunch of vocabulary that you can learn on your own. Anthropology won't help you much for the MCAT, but depending on what specific aspect of anthropology the class focuses on, could show up in med school to some extent. Take whichever class seems more interesting to you.

I thought sociology was a waste of time. Cultural anthropology has a lot of terminology that is used within society. I took a medical anthropology course in undergrad and one of the required readings was The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down. I thought the course was worthwhile.

I'm pro Anthropology. Wish I majored in it.