Someone please talk me out/ into applying to Caribbean schools and stick with DO Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Could you link to some examples? Here's one example: 3.05/35 applied to 6 DO schools in June and never got a single II from any of them. I learned of one guy who got into CCOM with something like a 3.25/37 yesterday.
I would suggest KYCOM, LMUDCOM, WCU(yea I know not the best schools) so you can get a seat somewhere.

Members don't see this ad.

IIRC, the general consensus is that US MD>US DO>>>>>>>"Top 4" Caribbean MD>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Other Caribbean MD.

why MD>DO? why not MD=DO? is it because of the letter issue? if that's true then your rank should be more like MD>Carib>>>>>>>DO for the sake of logic.

why MD>DO? why not MD=DO? is it because of the letter issue? if that's true then your rank should be more like MD>Carib>>>>>>>DO for the sake of logic.

Because DO grads still face biases from certain programs, especially in the most competitive specialties.

It may have been mentioned already, but the residency merger is going to make it even more difficult for IMGs (Caribbean grads) to find residencies here. It's already bad now, and only going to get worse.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@GreyF0X ... SABA offers FAFSA now; the US government just gave the opportunity to do it...

Because DO grads still face biases from certain programs, especially in the most competitive specialties.

It may have been mentioned already, but the residency merger is going to make it even more difficult for IMGs (Caribbean grads) to find residencies here. It's already bad now, and only going to get worse.
I think the residency merger will be easier for them since there will be more seat available...

Last edited:
Could you link to some examples? Here's one example: 3.05/35 applied to 6 DO schools in June and never got a single II from any of them. I learned of one guy who got into CCOM with something like a 3.25/37 yesterday.

Probably a red flag on the application. A bunch of bad grades, no interest in DO or negative LOR.

You have to do something wrong to not get any IIs w/ a 35 MCAT even if GPA is 3.05

Reactions: 1 users
I think the residency merger will it easier for them since there will be more seat available...

I just see them being boxed into lower quality programs now that US grads will all be in the same applicant pool. IMGs will be competing with everyone, rather than MD grads, and SOME DO as they do now.

They might benefit in the short term, but as DO schools continue to increase in number and become more popular, IMGs are likely to get squeezed out.

Last edited:
What are your stats?

If you have a 3.3/3.4 and 26+, you should have no problem getting into a DO if you apply broadly and have good ECs.
Do you think I have a chance? I applied to 23 DO and 2 Caribbean.
2014-2015 admissions cycle.
- sGPA 3.10
- cGPA 3.19
- MCAT 22 (6P/8V/8B)
- Took one graduate level class, Gross Anatomy at the John A. Burns SOM. Got a B.
- 2 MD shadow (Urologist and Pediatric Surgeon).
- 1 DO shadow (Family Medicine). This doctor works at Hawaii's CHC. She's a preceptor and teaches 2nd year OMM. She let me attend the class, the students were amazing. She has written a LOR for me.
- Have another DO LOR. Only a mentor, did not shadow (Retired).
- Publication. Illustrated a chapter in a college level textbook. The chapter was on the reproductive system.
- Publication. Psychological research concerning stress related illnesses seen in first responders. Findings presented at Utah Legislation Conference.
- Missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
- Volunteer: Emergency Room, Boy Scouts of America-Asst. Scout Master, Hurricane Katrina cleanup (slept in a tent with other individuals who were part of the cleanup team), homeless shelter, play ground construction, medical supplies drives, and Church involvements.
- Phlebotomist at plasma center.
- Research Tech. for pharmaceuticals company.
- URM Native American (Lumbee Tribe).
- First gen. High School grad.
- 29 years old. Married with one child. Perhaps it will show that I am mature; I don't know.

Thanks for the help.

Do you think I have a chance? I applied to 23 DO and 2 Caribbean.
2014-2015 admissions cycle.
- sGPA 3.10
- cGPA 3.19
- MCAT 22 (6P/8V/8B)
- Took one graduate level class, Gross Anatomy at the John A. Burns SOM. Got a B.
- 2 MD shadow (Urologist and Pediatric Surgeon).
- 1 DO shadow (Family Medicine). This doctor works at Hawaii's CHC. She's a preceptor and teaches 2nd year OMM. She let me attend the class, the students were amazing. She has written a LOR for me.
- Have another DO LOR. Only a mentor, did not shadow (Retired).
- Publication. Illustrated a chapter in a college level textbook. The chapter was on the reproductive system.
- Publication. Psychological research concerning stress related illnesses seen in first responders. Findings presented at Utah Legislation Conference.
- Missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
- Volunteer: Emergency Room, Boy Scouts of America-Asst. Scout Master, Hurricane Katrina cleanup (slept in a tent with other individuals who were part of the cleanup team), homeless shelter, play ground construction, medical supplies drives, and Church involvements.
- Phlebotomist at plasma center.
- Research Tech. for pharmaceuticals company.
- URM Native American (Lumbee Tribe).
- First gen. High School grad.
- 29 years old. Married with one child. Perhaps it will show that I am mature; I don't know.

Thanks for the help.
First of all, this is not the thread to ask this type of question.
Second, to address your question: slim for DO (with that MCAT), likely for Caribbean. Again, make sure to check out my other threads, read other people's opinion, and know what you're getting yourself into before applying to Caribbean. Best of luck.

First of all, this is not the thread to ask this type of question.
Second, to address your question: slim for DO (with that MCAT), likely for Caribbean. Again, make sure to check out my other threads, read other people's opinion, and know what you're getting yourself into before applying to Caribbean. Best of luck.
First of all, that's your opinion. My opinion is that it is completely okay to do so, especially when others are saying that with " such and such" stats the OP would have a decent chance at getting accepted.

But thanks for your reply nonetheless.

First of all, that's your opinion. My opinion is that it is completely okay to do so, especially when others are saying that with " such and such" stats the OP would have a decent chance at getting accepted.

Actually, it's not an opinion because it is requested that threads not be derailed by those who run the site. There is a "What Are My Chances" thread that I think works perfectly for your type of situation. I'm not trying to be rude, but it has nothing to do with what OP is asking.

Reactions: 1 users

While you're at it, you can go to Pre-Pharmacy threads and post your questions there. Same difference.
I actually have no problem with you posting your question over here. Heck, you just helped me bump up my post.
I just think your question wouldn't garner the amount of attention it needs. I would imagine people reading this thread to be tuned into Caribbean vs. DO subject.
Creating a "chance me" thread or something will get you quality replies.
But hey, what do I know.

Members don't see this ad :)
While you're at it, you can go to Pre-Pharmacy threads and post your questions there. Same difference.
I actually have no problem with you posting your question over here. Heck, you just helped me bump up my post.
I just think your question wouldn't garner the amount of attention it needs. I would imagine people reading this thread to be tuned into Caribbean vs. DO subject.
Creating a "chance me" thread or something will get you quality replies.
But hey, what do I know.
That's why I replied to the poster that I quoted. Are you really doing this? Are you a kid? I've posted the same exact thing in other non what are my chances threads and you're the only person who has ever said anything about it. Really, what did you commit to my post anyway?

Actually, it's not an opinion because it is requested that threads not be derailed by those who run the site. There is a "What Are My Chances" thread that I think works perfectly for your type of situation. I'm not trying to be rude, but it has nothing to do with what OP is asking.
But it has to do with the person I quoted. That's why I quoted him or her.

Let me give you some perspective, I went to SGU, its a decent school, but after having to go through 2 medical leaves and a change of heart from MD to DO, due to my sister passing away....Im going DO now....if you have any questions you can PM me....

Here's something no one has mentioned: go PA! The last thing I want to see is another prestige-obsessed derp in a DO school.

One thing that baffles me is to why the Caribbean students don't come here complaining. I never see them complain about their education so why the stigma?

One thing that baffles me is to why the Caribbean students don't come here complaining. I never see them complain about their education so why the stigma?
I have read plenty of complaints from Caribbean MD students in the SOAP threads after not matching one or two-cycles, and in the specialty threads where they are trying to transfer to better residencies. They just don't bother with the pre-meds because they are more concerned with their realities.

I have read plenty of complaints from Caribbean MD students in the SOAP threads after not matching one or two-cycles, and in the specialty threads where they are trying to transfer to better residencies. They just don't bother with the pre-meds because they are more concerned with their realities.
Oh okay that explains it because I for some reason never hear them complain, shrug I don't even know them anyway lol

Let me give you some perspective, I went to SGU, its a decent school, but after having to go through 2 medical leaves and a change of heart from MD to DO, due to my sister passing away....Im going DO now....if you have any questions you can PM me....

How?

In 2014, there were 3724 US-IMGs that were eligible to SOAP and only 95 of them were successful. 113 of the 752 eligible DOs were able to find a position in the SOAP.

However, keep in mind the universe of SOAP-eligible applicants is slightly different from that of unmatched active applicants. An applicant is eligible for SOAP if the applicant is 1) registered for the Main Residency Match, 2) eligible to enter graduate medical education on July 1 in the year of the Match, and 3) fully unmatched or partially matched (i.e., with only a preliminary or an advanced position). Applicants who did not submit rank order lists also are eligible to participate in SOAP if they meet those criteria.

I don't know if this has been mentioned but no one is under any obligation to help you do anything. Do whatever you want, there's no handouts in life. Have a good one.

But it has to do with the person I quoted. That's why I quoted him or her.

You could always PM them...

Probably a red flag on the application. A bunch of bad grades, no interest in DO or negative LOR.

You have to do something wrong to not get any IIs w/ a 35 MCAT even if GPA is 3.05

They could have also only applied to the top DO schools whose averages are already close to MD averages. No point risking a spot on someone with a lot of poor academic baggage. Now if they applied to all the new schools and didn't get in, that would be a surprise.

Last edited: