This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ecarg16

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a 4.0 (mix of A's and A+'s) first semester of freshman year, a 3.471 (B+'s and A's) second semester, and a 3.33 (B+) in the summer for a final cumulative gpa of 3.688 my first year of college. In my first semester of sophomore year, I'll end up with a C+ in bio 2 (A- in lab), a B in ochem (B+ in lab), a C+ in econ, and an A- in sociology (final grades aren't officially in yet, those are just calculations i did on my own). I'm worried about the two C's. In my first semester of freshman year, I got an A+ in biology 1 and biology 1 lab. Not that it should be an excuse, but this semester I had a situation happen that would cause most people to drop out of college or at least take a break, but I stayed because I want to go to med school and I don't want to postpone going. I feel like admissions won't really care that life happened, because life happens to everyone... I want to get into a nyu school of medicine, but feeling really discouraged after my first semester of sophomore year. I'll obviously apply to many schools, however I feel like I can't get into a top tier med school or nyu. Are any of you going to nyu/med school in general that had a bad undergrad semester?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You can overcome Cs, especially if they were associated with life circumstances. Most schools have a "do you have anything you want us to know" section in their secondary application that lets you explain why some things happened the way they did. Of course, it's more important that you get your life in order, overcome your problems and do better from here on out. If you do well you might even have a lot of life experience in overcoming adversity, which is a big thing med schools look for.

As for NYU, my advice would be not to fixate your dreams on one school. My dream school was Johns Hopkins almost as long as I wanted to be a doctor. I just got a rejection from them 2 weeks ago without ever being given the chance to interview. But my dream is to be a doctor, not to go to Hopkins, and I was lucky enough to interview at a bunch of schools that I feel would be a great fit for me anyway. Maybe better than Hopkins ever could have been even if I was guaranteed a spot there on a scholarship.

My point is, if you're committed to medicine, you'll find a way to succeed in class, and you'll find a match with a school that will fit who you are.

Reactions: 1 user