Sports Medicine 2022-2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sportsman123

Reaction score
This is the official 2022-2023 sports medicine fellowship application forum. Ask anyone questions regarding the sports medicine fellowship here. I wish everyone the best!! I'll start with the first question, how many fellowships are you guys applying to (for family medicine)?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is everyone sending the code of ethics and first page of publications to every program you apply to via email right away when you submit your application or waiting?

Just send it whenever. Recently matched fellows and former fellows have questioned the importance of this and some supposedly didn’t even send…

I personally will send once I submit my application in ERAS as I would hate for this to be a reason I wasn’t considered for an interview.

Reactions: 2 users
I figured that I would submit mine after July 20th (the first day they can see our applications).

Edit: But also of course am just trying to figure stuff out as I go along

Anyone interested in making a discord or WhatsApp group for the application cycle?

Anyone else experiences delays in documents being processed by ERAS Fellowships Documents Office (EFDO)?
It has been a week and they are still processing my letter, transcript and MSPE. No response to emails and calling them is useless (prerecorded message ends call).
How many programs are you guys applying to?

PMR, applied to 19 programs. Limited due to wanting specific locations but we will see how it goes.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else experiences delays in documents being processed by ERAS Fellowships Documents Office (EFDO)?
It has been a week and they are still processing my letter, transcript and MSPE. No response to emails and calling them is useless (prerecorded message ends call).
How many programs are you guys applying to?
Yeah EFDO has been a bit slow… nothing we can do about it though.

I’m PM&R and according to my mentor, I “over-applied” to 30 programs.

How many interviews have people gotten? I have only heard back from 1 program so far...should I be worried or is it still too early?

How many interviews have people gotten? I have only heard back from 1 program so far...should I be worried or is it still too early?
Way too early my friend. Should start hearing over the next 2 weeks. If you haven’t heard anything (meaning zero) then, I would be a bit worried.

The file above shows known interview invites so far. Lots of programs haven’t started that process yet. Some in the past haven’t started until late August or early September. There’s still time!

Hi!
I have received an interview invite-how would I add it to the spreadsheet? Also does anyone have access to last year's spread sheet? I'm just curious and wish to see, it looks like some places are sending out invites much earlier!

Hi!
I have received an interview invite-how would I add it to the spreadsheet? Also does anyone have access to last year's spread sheet? I'm just curious and wish to see, it looks like some places are sending out invites much earlier!
Which interviews did you get?

How many interview invites have people gotten so far?
3 here. It's been pretty quiet it seems.

EDIT: But I have also talked to several attendings who were sports fellows in the last 5 years, this is still VERY early in the cycle.

Last edited:
Yeah… it’s actually pretty annoying how slow programs have been this year unless I’ve been misled by my mentors and I just suck lol

Current fellow here. I know it's hard to compare year to year because things change. But, at this time last year, I had 2 interviews. I ended up with 9 or 10 total.

Way too early my friend. Should start hearing over the next 2 weeks. If you haven’t heard anything (meaning zero) then, I would be a bit worried.
Still nothing ( besides a rejection).... starting to worry hahaha

Current fellow here. I know it's hard to compare year to year because things change. But, at this time last year, I had 2 interviews. I ended up with 9 or 10 total.

Thanks for sharing! Whats a safe number of interviews we should have to guarantee a match?

Thanks for sharing! Whats a safe number of interviews we should have to guarantee a match?

Honestly, I'm not sure. For some reason, the number 10 sticks out in my head as a number that was quoted to me for where the line flattens out in terms of probability of matching, but I might be mistaken. Overall, it's about an 80% match rate, and it's a small world. You'll run into familiar faces on the interview trail for sure and you may run into faculty that know any mentors you have as well.

Still nothing ( besides a rejection).... starting to worry hahaha
Sorry to hear that :(.
Honestly, I'm not sure. For some reason, the number 10 sticks out in my head as a number that was quoted to me for where the line flattens out in terms of probability of matching, but I might be mistaken. Overall, it's about an 80% match rate, and it's a small world. You'll run into familiar faces on the interview trail for sure and you may run into faculty that know any mentors you have as well.
I was told 10-12 by one of my mentors so this sounds about right. It’s a weird season though… and I wonder if these numbers apply to PM&R applicants given the vast majority of programs are family medicine. So far I have 8 interviews and have received silent rejections from about 5 (assuming online spreadsheet is accurate). Withdrew from some programs to not waste anyone’s time too

I have only gotten 3 interviews so far, and one "pre-interview" :rolleyes:
Should I be worried? I applied pretty broad to like 30
I will say not a lot of the programs I applied to have interview invite dates listed on the spreadsheet yet but I feel like this is just a very small sample haha

I will say not a lot of the programs I applied to have interview invite dates listed on the spreadsheet yet but I feel like this is just a very small sample haha
I agree with you. There are a lot of programs left.

Im a worry-er so Id be lying if I said “don’t worry” since Id be worrying. Heck, Im worrying with 8 interviews… smdh 🙃

I agree with you. There are a lot of programs left.

Im a worry-er so Id be lying if I said “don’t worry” since Id be worrying. Heck, Im worrying with 8 interviews… smdh 🙃
8 is a lot you are killing it!

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry yet. It is still early. Most programs should be sending out invites mid september - beginning of october!

Things are picking up. I applied to less programs (19) generally but now have a few interviews + home program.

Same. I applied to quite a few but also have heard from my home program and several others. Hoping to hear from more, but looks like it's starting to kick off.

Applied to 34, have received 3 interview invites (1 at home program) and 1 rejection (U of Minnesota) thus far. Believe these next 2-3 weeks will be big for everyone. Good luck to all!

Is it just me or is the excel sheet only PMR programs now? Where are the rest?

Is it just me or are all the PM&R programs off the list?

Disappointingly quiet week for me :( Although it looks like there was action on the list

True! I wonder how sending interest letters is perceived at this point?
They worked well for me for residency

True! I wonder how sending interest letters is perceived at this point?
They worked well for me for residency
Not sure if interest letters work for fellowships in general but I know some ask attendings to reach out to the program of interest (granted, the attending has a relationship with such program).

Not sure if interest letters work for fellowships in general but I know some ask attendings to reach out to the program of interest (granted, the attending has a relationship with such program).
Sounds good!

Does anyone have a list of questions we should be asking on our interviews? I have my own but want to make sure I am being well informed and asking the right things since I dont come from a program with a SM fellowship

Sounds good!

Does anyone have a list of questions we should be asking on our interviews? I have my own but want to make sure I am being well informed and asking the right things since I dont come from a program with a SM fellowship

I'm a current fellow, and I've always been terrible at asking the "correct" questions so I always panicked during interviews. Having done this for a few months now, I think there are a couple things that are important and to kind of delve into when speaking to faculty or fellows at places you're interviewing (no particular order):

1) What procedures you get exposure to and how many procedures you get to do: Some places I interviewed didn't get that as many procedures as I would have hoped. I'm at a place where we do a good amount of procedures, mostly injections. Some procedures are pretty easy and you get the hang of it within a few tries, but others do require more reps and you want to be sure that you get your reps in.

2) How involved you are in coverage: Coverage for major professional teams (NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB) or high level college teams is sometimes less hands-on than you would expect because of how high-profile the athletes are. A lot of times the attending is doing everything and you're kind of shadowing. At lower levels and especially the high school level, a lot of times you're the only doctor there and your attending is available by phone so you get to be "in charge". Your trainers will often be calling you or texting you for stuff and you're the one at the games.

3) Relationship with other department (especially orthopedic surgery): My program is very well-integrated with the orthopedic department and relationships are genuinely friendly the vast majority of the time. It just makes things run so much easier when there's no turf war. They refer non-operative stuff to us or things that require US injection and we refer things to them that require surgery or have failed conservative measures.

4) Ultrasound experience: I personally think US is extremely useful to help decisions and aid in examining the patient. The easy answer all the time is to get a CT or MRI, but those are costly and take time and often times require prior authorization. If you learn US really well, you can expedite care for your patient and really buy some time until they can get into CT or MRI. I definitely recommend taking into consideration how well you'll be taught US.

5) Balance of clinic time and coverage: You want to go to a place that gets you a good amount of time in clinic with good variety. It's cool to do sideline coverage and go to games and stuff, but in the future, your job will mostly be clinic so you want to make sure you have a strong clinic base. That being said, event coverage and knowing how to be a team physician is also important so you want to make sure that you get opportunities to cover different sports and get those types of experiences.

6) Pediatric exposure: Pediatrics is a whole different beast. Don't believe people when they say kids are just little adults. Their fracture and injury patterns are different and they have diseases/conditions that adults typically will not have. Almost every program I interviewed at admitted that this was one of their biggest weaknesses.

7) Acute fracture care: This one is +/-. I'm EM trained so I'm probably a bit more adept than most IM/FM/PM&R trained residents at reduction and splinting. Again, this was one of the things that most programs admitted as a weakness. It's not really the programs' fault because most patients will have gone to the ER where somebody already yanked on it and put it in a splint/cast. Typically the best you can hope for is clinic time dedicated to new fractures especially with an orthopedic surgeon because sometimes the surgeon may decide to reduce it more in their office at the first post-ER visit to get a better alignment. Furthermore, it would be nice to learn to cast because you may end up working somewhere without casting techs.

8) Primary care set-up: The ACGME requires that you do an average of 4 hours per week in your primary specialty (IM, FM, EM, PM&R, Peds). If you think about it, 4 hours on average is not much. Some places do 8 hours every other week so you might not even be getting exposure in your primary specialty every week. If you were already an attending for some time in your primary specialty, this is less important. If you're straight outta residency, this should weigh on you a bit because you're so fresh you don't want to lose the skills and training that you just completed. Just make sure that your setup is adequate.

There are other things that may be important to you, but they were less so to me. These topics may be related to research, funding to go to conferences, vacation time, maternity/paternity leave, etc.

Overall though, a lot of your decision making will be similar to how you made your rank list for residency. You'll gravitate to your desired region and towards people that you vibe with. The one thing that you should try to remember is that most fellowships are small. You might be the only fellow and if you don't get the opportunity to mingle with other residents or fellows and you end up far away from friends/family, you might get lonely.

This year has been a blast so far. I kind of wish it could go on forever haha. Best of luck in this process!

I'm a current fellow, and I've always been terrible at asking the "correct" questions so I always panicked during interviews. Having done this for a few months now, I think there are a couple things that are important and to kind of delve into when speaking to faculty or fellows at places you're interviewing (no particular order):

1) What procedures you get exposure to and how many procedures you get to do: Some places I interviewed didn't get that as many procedures as I would have hoped. I'm at a place where we do a good amount of procedures, mostly injections. Some procedures are pretty easy and you get the hang of it within a few tries, but others do require more reps and you want to be sure that you get your reps in.

2) How involved you are in coverage: Coverage for major professional teams (NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB) or high level college teams is sometimes less hands-on than you would expect because of how high-profile the athletes are. A lot of times the attending is doing everything and you're kind of shadowing. At lower levels and especially the high school level, a lot of times you're the only doctor there and your attending is available by phone so you get to be "in charge". Your trainers will often be calling you or texting you for stuff and you're the one at the games.

3) Relationship with other department (especially orthopedic surgery): My program is very well-integrated with the orthopedic department and relationships are genuinely friendly the vast majority of the time. It just makes things run so much easier when there's no turf war. They refer non-operative stuff to us or things that require US injection and we refer things to them that require surgery or have failed conservative measures.

4) Ultrasound experience: I personally think US is extremely useful to help decisions and aid in examining the patient. The easy answer all the time is to get a CT or MRI, but those are costly and take time and often times require prior authorization. If you learn US really well, you can expedite care for your patient and really buy some time until they can get into CT or MRI. I definitely recommend taking into consideration how well you'll be taught US.

5) Balance of clinic time and coverage: You want to go to a place that gets you a good amount of time in clinic with good variety. It's cool to do sideline coverage and go to games and stuff, but in the future, your job will mostly be clinic so you want to make sure you have a strong clinic base. That being said, event coverage and knowing how to be a team physician is also important so you want to make sure that you get opportunities to cover different sports and get those types of experiences.

6) Pediatric exposure: Pediatrics is a whole different beast. Don't believe people when they say kids are just little adults. Their fracture and injury patterns are different and they have diseases/conditions that adults typically will not have. Almost every program I interviewed at admitted that this was one of their biggest weaknesses.

7) Acute fracture care: This one is +/-. I'm EM trained so I'm probably a bit more adept than most IM/FM/PM&R trained residents at reduction and splinting. Again, this was one of the things that most programs admitted as a weakness. It's not really the programs' fault because most patients will have gone to the ER where somebody already yanked on it and put it in a splint/cast. Typically the best you can hope for is clinic time dedicated to new fractures especially with an orthopedic surgeon because sometimes the surgeon may decide to reduce it more in their office at the first post-ER visit to get a better alignment. Furthermore, it would be nice to learn to cast because you may end up working somewhere without casting techs.

8) Primary care set-up: The ACGME requires that you do an average of 4 hours per week in your primary specialty (IM, FM, EM, PM&R, Peds). If you think about it, 4 hours on average is not much. Some places do 8 hours every other week so you might not even be getting exposure in your primary specialty every week. If you were already an attending for some time in your primary specialty, this is less important. If you're straight outta residency, this should weigh on you a bit because you're so fresh you don't want to lose the skills and training that you just completed. Just make sure that your setup is adequate.

There are other things that may be important to you, but they were less so to me. These topics may be related to research, funding to go to conferences, vacation time, maternity/paternity leave, etc.

Overall though, a lot of your decision making will be similar to how you made your rank list for residency. You'll gravitate to your desired region and towards people that you vibe with. The one thing that you should try to remember is that most fellowships are small. You might be the only fellow and if you don't get the opportunity to mingle with other residents or fellows and you end up far away from friends/family, you might get lonely.

This year has been a blast so far. I kind of wish it could go on forever haha. Best of luck in this process!
Thanks so much !! I really appreciate the time you took to come up with this awesome list

wow this was super helpful, thank you so much for taking the time to write this very thorough response! We appreciate you!

How many interviews should we ideally have by now? I only have 6 and I'm getting quite nervous. Also, if a fellowship already sent out interviews and we didn't get one should we just assume that is a rejection?

How many interviews should we ideally have by now? I only have 6 and I'm getting quite nervous. Also, if a fellowship already sent out interviews and we didn't get one should we just assume that is a rejection?
I only have 5 right now :/ I was wondering that too but yesterday I got one from a program who gave out interviews at the end of last week