Sports Medicine 2022-2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone else getting a bit of cold feet?
I have been reading the job market isn't that great with the rapid expansion of programs
I hope I can get a job after this!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone else getting a bit of cold feet?
I have been reading the job market isn't that great with the rapid expansion of programs
I hope I can get a job after this!
Current sports fellow. Dedicated sports positions are far from abundant, but doable.

Be ready to start hustling and job searching shortly after starting fellowship. It helps if you matched at a program in the same area you plan to work for networking purposes. Also helps if you’re able to apply broadly and travel for a spot.

First job won’t be your last job.
Have a plan B.

Reactions: 2 users
Current sports fellow. Dedicated sports positions are far from abundant, but doable.

Be ready to start hustling and job searching shortly after starting fellowship. It helps if you matched at a program in the same area you plan to work for networking purposes. Also helps if you’re able to apply broadly and travel for a spot.

First job won’t be your last job.
Have a plan B.
xx

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I went onto the fellowship trail knowing that I was planning on doing some type of hybrid with sports. Many institutions may also not list their job openings on national organization websites because of the cost to place the ad.

Thanks! What about hybrid positions?
I will be traveling for fellowship , but hoping to come back to my city I did residency in
Hybrid spots are out there, but you need to be careful. Many will try to hook you with a higher percent of standard medicine patients. Unless it’s in the contract be ready to always argue with scheduling about MSK priority. Also, not all med clinics will have an ultrasound at the ready for procedures.

Hybrid is cool, but keep the above in the back of your mind. I’d start networking now with anyone back home from residency that could put you in the loop with sports/ortho people.

Hybrid spots are out there, but you need to be careful. Many will try to hook you with a higher percent of standard medicine patients. Unless it’s in the contract be ready to always argue with scheduling about MSK priority. Also, not all med clinics will have an ultrasound at the ready for procedures.

Hybrid is cool, but keep the above in the back of your mind. I’d start networking now with anyone back home from residency that could put you in the loop with sports/ortho people.

That's great advice! Have networked quite a lot in residency and hoping to do a combo practice or build my practice with time since I'm a bit geographically restricted in my final destination due to a SO (she is finishing her residency in another field at the same time), family. Hopefully that will help but we will see.