Stanford Interviewees: January Notification?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Given the one post on mdapps, what they told us at the interview, and what has happened in the past several years, we should hear by phone long before we hear by mail (if accepted).

We should be waiting anxiously by the phone, rather than the mailbox.

Members don't see this ad.

does anyone have the link to the accepted profile on mdapps?

Members don't see this ad :)
Given the one post on mdapps, what they told us at the interview, and what has happened in the past several years, we should hear by phone long before we hear by mail (if accepted).

We should be waiting anxiously by the phone, rather than the mailbox.

i think towelie is right. i think there is a better chance of hearing by phone tomorrow night or friday -- day.

Hey all - it seems like there is a lot of angst on here about whether or not Stanford has offered admission for its regular MD program - just to clear it up - some acceptance calls to Stanford did go out last Thursday evening (about 7:30-8pm Pacfic) but since the class size is only 85, I'm sure there weren't too many - it was only the first wave of acceptances I believe. I know this because I got one of the acceptance calls from Dr. Garcia myself. Dr. Garcia talked about what an influence my interviewer had on my acceptance, so if you felt you really connected positively with your interviewer on interview day, that may be a good sign! I'm not sure how the process goes, but I interviewed the second week of November, which I think was the second week of interviews. Also, Dr. Garcia called my cell phone three times, but I missed all of them, and he only left a voicemail with his cell phone number at my work phone. If you are waiting for a call, make sure you are monitoring both numbers you gave them! I wasn't expecting the call so early in January, so I was caught unawares. Don't worry though, it's not like the rescind your offer if you don't answer the first time.
:) Best of luck to everyone!

Hey all - it seems like there is a lot of angst on here about whether or not Stanford has offered admission for its regular MD program - just to clear it up - some acceptance calls to Stanford did go out last Thursday evening (about 7:30-8pm Pacfic) but since the class size is only 85, I'm sure there weren't too many - it was only the first wave of acceptances I believe. I know this because I got one of the acceptance calls from Dr. Garcia myself. Dr. Garcia talked about what an influence my interviewer had on my acceptance, so if you felt you really connected positively with your interviewer on interview day, that may be a good sign! I'm not sure how the process goes, but I interviewed the second week of November, which I think was the second week of interviews. Also, Dr. Garcia called my cell phone three times, but I missed all of them, and he only left a voicemail with his cell phone number at my work phone. If you are waiting for a call, make sure you are monitoring both numbers you gave them! I wasn't expecting the call so early in January, so I was caught unawares. Don't worry though, it's not like the rescind your offer if you don't answer the first time.
:) Best of luck to everyone!

congrats!!

do you remember who you interviewed with?

Congrats!!!!!!!

I wonder if they are continuing to make calls each week, or if we have to wait until next month?

Congrats!!!!!!!

I wonder if they are continuing to make calls each week, or if we have to wait until next month?

They meet every week.

Congrats, futuredocd! :) That is awesome. Did they mention when 2nd look is, out of curiosity?

Dr. Garcia said Stanford's second look was towards the end of April - he didn't give a specific date.

Members don't see this ad :)
Another adcom meets today.... aren't you all nervous? :eek:

why do we do this to ourselves and to each other?

We're just getting a small taste of what most people's March will feel like.

Hopefully another batch of calls will come out tonight. Good luck everyone!

looks like at least one call was made tonight.

Yay for that person!!!

I wish some people who are obsessing on this post would hear soon... I don't know if I can continue this week after week haha... maybe I should just assume I didn't get in and save myself the anguish.

Whoohooo....I got a call at about 8:30 tonight....it should actually sink in soon :D

Good luck everyone!!

Md_dreams, do you live on the West Coast? When did you interview? Thanks.

Congrats to everyone who got a call!

Congrats everyone who got a call :)

I interviewed in early Nov (2nd week of interviews) and I live in nor cal (though this doesn't make much of a difference with phone calls)

I interviewed November 16th and got my acceptance last Thursday (1/11).

So do you guys think it means we got rejected if we interviewed on the same day/before some people who have received calls? Or is it possible they will pass you and come back to you?

It would seem that location would matter in terms of phone calls. Most of the people that I have been accepted said that they were called around 7:30-8:30ish. On the east coast that would be 10:30-11:30ish so I'm not sure if they would call people on the east coast at that hour. Does anyone know if in the past, they called everyone who was accepted?

It would seem that location would matter in terms of phone calls. Most of the people that I have been accepted said that they were called around 7:30-8:30ish. On the east coast that would be 10:30-11:30ish so I'm not sure if they would call people on the east coast at that hour. Does anyone know if in the past, they called everyone who was accepted?

Seems like every call so far has been on a Thursday, regardless of the west/east coast issue.

Seems like every call so far has been on a Thursday, regardless of the west/east coast issue.

i would assume that they would call all people who have been accepted. so far the people that have been admitted have been from west coast, so its an 830 call. i think thats purely coincidence tho.

i would assume that they would call all people who have been accepted. so far the people that have been admitted have been from west coast, so its an 830 call. i think thats purely coincidence tho.

There is an east coast guy on mdapps who heard on Jan 11th, a Thursday. I assume he must have heard very late at night.

I'm an east coast person and interviewed at Stanford on Nov 13th. Today, I received a snail mail letter from Stanford saying I was waitlisted. Seems like if you interviewed early and didn't get a call, it's waitlist or rejection.

I'm an east coast person and interviewed at Stanford on Nov 13th. Today, I received a snail mail letter from Stanford saying I was waitlisted. Seems like if you interviewed early and didn't get a call, it's waitlist or rejection.

wow, i must have done really bad - i interviewed early and haven't even received a letter.

I actually know several first-year students at Stanford (friends of mine from undergrad) who got in off the waitlist, so I'm staying hopeful. We'll see how the cookie crumbles come May. Good luck guys.

I actually know several first-year students at Stanford (friends of mine from undergrad) who got in off the waitlist, so I'm staying hopeful. We'll see how the cookie crumbles come May. Good luck guys.

do you know how many stanford has to admit to fill their class of 85?

No idea. Maybe around 120-130 or so? thats just a really rough guess.

Last year they accepted 163. This includes people that came off of the waiting list. There is no way to tell how many were accepted before the waitlist, but I would guess somewhere around 130 or so.

I interviewed very early and have heard absolutely nothing. It's definitely getting frustrating, given that Stanford is my top choice.

i think the ratio or percentage of matriculants to accepted is an important number. i'm surprised to hear that for stanford its near 50% (or 200% which ever is easier to understand) 163 accepted for 85 spots. anyone know what this number is for harvard, hopkins or sf?

UCSF - 262:141
Hopkins - 259:118
Harvard - 241:164

So if we interviewed within the past couple weeks, are we going to hear in February? or March?

Does this 2-month delay apply to those who just finished interviewing?

Palo Alto is amazing... :love:

So if we interviewed within the past couple weeks, are we going to hear in February? or March?

if you interviewed early december, the admissions office told us that we should expect to hear back to later than end of Jan...but it may take longer :mad:

more like 10 people got taken off the waitlist last year, not 30. the class is also 86, not 85. 10 last year was also an unusually high number. normally they only take a few off, but it changes from year to year.

more like 10 people got taken off the waitlist last year, not 30. the class is also 86, not 85. 10 last year was also an unusually high number. normally they only take a few off, but it changes from year to year.

How do you know this?

Was told maybe feb, probably march.