state psych associations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychrat

licensed psychologist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you licensed in multiple states, are you members of both state psychological associations? In general what are the perks of being a member? Do you take advantage of what they offer? I am all about joining if it will be worth the money... thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I am multiply licensed, but am only a member of the state psych association where I live. One big reason is that my job pays for it, so it's a no cost thing. Also, they offer a lot of free CE credits here and there and it's a good way to network in the area. Depends on your state association. They should have a benefits section on their site materials.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't, but I have. IME, the benefit is the advocacy and getting a nearby conference. I prefer to give more money directly when there is a cause I like, and I prefer to go to other conferences.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're in private practice, some state memberships give you free phone ethics consultations (no limits on how many). The only reason I joined was to get the ethics consultations when I opened my practice. Used it multiple times already.
CEs are usually discounted and there are some free hours here and there. Some networking opportunities.
Those are the perks I can think of off-hand.

Joining state associations is very important because they do most of our advocacy/lobbying. For example, psychologists are considered doctors by Medicare due to lobbying. Currently lobbyists are working on issues such as fighting against health insurance clawbacks (a nightmare if you've had to deal with this!) and giving psychologists the ability to write orders in hospital settings. Reimbursement rates are a perpetual issue. Really, if you do any clinical work, you should be contributing to your state association.

The legal consults are a nice perk.

The CEs are great, but thats never been my perception of the most important role of a state board. It's all about improving/maintaining/protecting the role of psychology in practice. If you join the board or not is a choice, but you should be doing something to keep the field strong and alive. It's just the easiest.