state school dilemma--what if you move?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bidster

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What happens if your family moves in the middle of your undergraduate years? In what state--current or "new"--would I be likely to qualify as a resident during next year's admissions cycle? The somewhat aggravating factor is that any final move that would take place next year would likely be during the summer right after that AMCAS comes out. Does anyone have any experience with this? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

It really depends on the state. My family moved from FL to CA while I was in Baltimore for school. I was not a MD resident because my family, as my financial support (their main criteria) was in CA. In CA, the rules are pretty strict, something about physically being there for x number of years - and frankly, I really didn't want to be applying as a CA resident anyway. So, I ended up moving to TN! :)
So I would check the requirements in GA. Since you're not going to be physically spending any time in the new state, I doubt that you could be counted as a resident there. But I think there's a good chance that you'd be a GA resident, even if your parents move - you live (and maybe work?) there now, you probably have a driver's license/voting card, etc. Hopefully, that would be enough. And even if it doesn't pan out, I would go ahead and apply to GA state schools anyway - a lot of the time, state schools will give extra consideration to people who are technically out-of-state, but have some sort of connection to the state.

Good luck!