Step 1 vs MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which exam is higher stakes (assuming you are not aiming for ENT/plastics/ortho)?

• USMLE Step 1

Votes: 129 74.6%
  • MCAT

Votes: 44 25.4%

• Total voters

Shams al Deen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For example, if one wants to go into IM, which exam is higher stakes? I would argue that it is the MCAT.

Step1 will only significantly alter your career path if you are dead set on a competitive specialty. And if you fall short on step1, well you're still a doctor.

However the if you fail the MCAT (let's say over 2 attempts), then you really don't know what to do with your life --> become a bum :(

Why am I really making this thread? Because I did really good on the MCAT, but feel like I bombed step1 when I took it earlier this week. Lol. But still an interesting topic. Will make the premeds study harder for this new MCAT which looks way harder than the old fashion one I took. Sorry guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Step 1 by far.

Bombing the MCAT = not a doctor.
Bombing step 1 = not a doctor plus 6 figure debt.

Reactions: 16 users
as far as I can tell, These are 2 different exams that test for different things. I feel like the new MCAT focuses more on "can you think like a Dr." Whereas for step 1, we need to basically shove information down our throats. So the Combined result of doing well on the MCAT and Step 1 is someone who can think like a Dr. And know a crap load of stuff and comparing the 2 is just not useful. That said, I feel like the old MCAT resembled step 1 much more.

Members don't see this ad :)
In terms of stakes mcat is higher if you assume your goal is to graduate with an MD and match into a residency. Pass rates for USMLE are good and if you are preparing to take it you are probably already within the top 20% of MCAT takers (because you got into med school) and are therefore likely to test reasonably well. If your goal is to do well enough to match, the stakes are not massive.

The mcat however, is much higher stakes as the test can keep you out of the entire profession. the

Reactions: 1 user
There is a minimum passing score for Step 1 that would only be acceptable at a bum-freak program somewhere in the mid-West. If you make that minimum score and pass, you are never allowed to take the exam again. If you fail Step 1, you can take it again, but this also looks terrible. This means ending up at a **** residency with a big six-figure debt. Saying the MCAT is higher stakes than Step 1 is honestly offensive.

Reactions: 16 users
For example, if one wants to go into IM, which exam is higher stakes? I would argue that it is the MCAT.

Step1 will only significantly alter your career path if you are dead set on a competitive specialty. And if you fall short on step1, well you're still a doctor.

However the if you fail the MCAT (let's say over 2 attempts), then you really don't know what to do with your life --> become a bum :(

Why am I really making this thread? Because I did really good on the MCAT, but feel like I bombed step1 when I took it earlier this week. Lol. But still an interesting topic. Will make the premeds study harder for this new MCAT which looks way harder than the old fashion one I took. Sorry guys.

Which one can you take multiple times to get a higher score? Which one can you pretty much plan to only take when your practice tests tell you that you're ready?If by high stakes you mean demanding a specific level of performance at a specific period of time, then it's step 1 hands down. If you do poorly on the MCAT you can always take it again and your chances will only be marginally affected as there is opportunity for redemption. Step 1 not so much. A failure will significantly affect your residency chances/opportunity no matter what happens after.

Reactions: 1 users
There is a minimum passing score for Step 1 that would only be acceptable at a bum-freak program somewhere in the mid-West. If you make that minimum score and pass, you are never allowed to take the exam again. If you fail Step 1, you can take it again, but this also looks terrible. This means ending up at a **** residency with a big six-figure debt. Saying the MCAT is higher stakes than Step 1 is honestly offensive.

That's true I forgot it's 1 shot 1 kill with Step1

Both exams are high-stakes.

Reactions: 2 users
You're applying the "be a doc or bust" mindset to everyone and understandably so. You have already invested so much time and effort into medicine, but not going to med school after being a pre med or not doing well enough on MCAT does not mean you become a bum. Many people drop out of medicine simply because they're not qualified or they find out later on that it's not for them. That is completely fine because those who still work their butts off in another field will actually enjoy what they do in life regardless of the $$$. We can't all have what we desire, so a lot of times it's about perspective. If a pre med genuinely put forth all the efforts possible to get into med school, then they'll have closure regardless of the result.

Whereas if you already invested a 6 figure debt into med school, the stakes are enormous. You are all in by the time you take Step 1 and you definitely don't want to be stuck at a residency no one wants EVEN IF IT'S JUST IM. This is your career for the next 30+ years unless you can afford losing 200k and switch to another field. Doing an IM residency at a crap program with no opportunities vs. at a high mid to top tier program with loads of resources will completely change your career trajectory.

Reactions: 3 users
Step 1 is far more important for residency applications than the MCAT is for medical school applications... and that is coming directly from an adcom who said that at an interview day this cycle.

So the average score for step1 is 229. You can get into a university IM program with many opportunities for fellowship with a 230 score. The average MCAT is 25. You're screwed with that score. Different pool of test takers, I know. I'm not talking about difficulty of achieving the score.

Members don't see this ad :)
So the average score for step1 is 229. You can get into a university IM program with many opportunities for fellowship with a 230 score. The average MCAT is 25. You're screwed with that score. Different pool of test takers, I know. I'm not talking about difficulty of achieving the score.

? someone with a 25 can still apply and get into DO schools

? someone with a 25 can still apply and get into DO schools
DO schools accept 25s? No wonder there's still a stigma lmao. I thought they bumped those averages up to 30 while MDs was 33.

DO schools accept 25s? No wonder there's still a stigma lmao. I thought they bumped those averages up to 30 while MDs was 33.

nah MDs matriculant median is a 31. DOs matriculant median is a 27-28. a 25 can probably get an average applicant into a DO school (probably a new one). with strong ECs, compelling personal statement, good GPA and URM/SES status, an applicant with a 25 may net a few MD acceptances as well.

MD's are overall average 31 and some programs (many public schools with missions) are still in the high 20s. DOs are mostly mid and high 20s with some of the highest now about 30. So there is some overlap.

Here's my amateur attempt: the answer to this really depends what you are comparing.

Would I rather get an average step 1 or an average MCAT? Average step 1, because like someone pointed out, a 50th percentile step 1 (~230) is good to go even for a lot of specialties, while a 50th percentile MCAT means you are unlikely to go to MD school.

Which is worse to bomb? Step 1 easily. ~1/3 MD matriculants are MCAT retakers. Carrying a barely passing and permanent Step 1 you have no chance to mitigate is a lot worse.

Which is better to ace? Step 1 again. It's not the end of the world to barely get into your state MD program with an OK MCAT, you can still go to any residency from any med school. Having a mediocre step is going to hamstring your pursuit of competitive residency more than being from your state program.

Reactions: 4 users
MD's are overall average 31 and some programs (many public schools with missions) are still in the high 20s. DOs are mostly mid and high 20s with some of the highest now about 30. So there is some overlap.

Here's my amateur attempt: the answer to this really depends what you are comparing.

Would I rather get an average step 1 or an average MCAT? Average step 1, because like someone pointed out, a 50th percentile step 1 is good to go even for a lot of specialties, while a 50th percentile MCAT means you are unlikely to go to MD school.

Which is worse to bomb? Step 1 easily. ~1/3 MD matriculants are MCAT retakers. Carrying a barely passing and permanent Step 1 you have no chance to mitigate is a lot worse.

Which is better to ace? Step 1 again. It's not the end of the world to barely get into your state MD program with an OK MCAT, you can still go to any residency from any med school. Having a mediocre step is going to hamstring your pursuit of competitive residency more than being from your state program.
So your answer on "which is better to ace" relies on the assumption that a competitive speciality is what you want. Not everyone (most people) don't want competitive specialties. And what's the difference b/w doing IM at Hopkins vs somewhere like UNC? Probably only huge if you're big into research. So then 230s vs 250s doesn't matter for IM unless you love research.

Which is worse to bomb, I totally agree it's step 1. You can't retake it and you can't do much if you score very low.

So your answer on "which is better to ace" relies on the assumption that a competitive speciality is what you want. Not everyone (most people) don't want competitive specialties. And what's the difference b/w doing IM at Hopkins vs somewhere like UNC? Probably only huge if you're big into research. So then 230s vs 250s doesn't matter for IM unless you love research.

Which is worse to bomb, I totally agree it's step 1. Lol u can't retake it
If you don't want a competitive specialty/residency you don't need to ace either test. But whatever your target is, even if it's an IM residency at your nearby less competitive program, you'll get more love for a strong Step than for the fancy med school name that a high MCAT might get you.

This is even shown in the Program Director survey. Step 1 is universally listed as more important than being from a highly regarded med school across all specialties.

lol

Step 1 and it's not even close.

Don't even try to argue the MCAT. For the MCAT you can take a year or two off, prep course, retake, etc., and still be fine. Schools will actually sometimes only consider the most recent MCAT. Most schools are fine with retakes as long as you improved then 2nd time, usually need 85th+ percentile to make a retake worth it but that's reasonable given it's your 2nd time taking it. But heck, not even everyone has to get that high to get in.

On the other hand, Step 1 is taken with typically 4-6 weeks of dedicated study time and is very important for residency placement. Get a 220? More than half your options are now gone. Fail? You basically one shot to retake if you want a chance at practicing, and if you fail again you're screwed big time. You also can't move your test date back (I don't think), cancel the exam, retake another time, etc. It's all on the line once it comes time for it. The pressure is much higher.

Anybody who says MCAT is higher stakes has not taken Step 1. It's like someone trying to argue that actually, if you think about it, $10 is worth more than $500000. It is a fact that Step 1 is the highest stakes exam on earth.

Anybody who says MCAT is higher stakes has not taken Step 1. It's like someone trying to argue that actually, if you think about it, $10 is worth more than $500000. It is a fact that Step 1 is the highest stakes exam on earth.
Imagine there is a room with a locked door, stuffed with anywhere between a thousand and half a million dollars.

Now imagine the key to that door costs ten dollars!

It's hard to think about can I go derm? being >> do I get to be a doctor at all?

nah MDs matriculant median is a 31. DOs matriculant median is a 27-28. a 25 can probably get an average applicant into a DO school (probably a new one). with strong ECs, compelling personal statement, good GPA and URM/SES status, an applicant with a 25 may net a few MD acceptances as well.

Would I rather get an average step 1 or an average MCAT? Average step 1, because like someone pointed out, a 50th percentile step 1 (~230) is good to go even for a lot of specialties, while a 50th percentile MCAT means you are unlikely to go to MD school.

Any idea if matriculant scores are normally distributed around 31? And if so, any idea what the SD is?

Took less than a page to turn into a DO vs MD thread.

Step 1 is higher stakes because:
--essentially no do-overs. You can retake it you fail, but you're in a tight spot. If you barely pass, or just don't get your goal score, you're stuck with it.
--tight timeline. Most schools have a pretty tight schedule of when you have to take it to get/stay on rotations, and getting off schedule can put your residency match at risk. Rescheduling the MCAT might make your life complicated, but you're not SOL if you need to delay.
--it's harder. Passing might be statistically easy, but average in med school is tougher than average among pre-meds.
--that $600+ pricetag.

MCAT - "Fail" MCAT and you lose $300 or whatever it costs, then you move on to another career like many do either way with only undergrad debt (minus scholarships and such). Not exactly high stakes. Might suck to go into another field if you don't have as much interest, but it beats wasting anymore more time and money otherwise.

Step 1 - Spend 2 years of intensive studying to take step 1 and fail that, then... 1 of a few scenarios. 1) Lets say you fail the max amount of times (6 by law, 3 by most schools) --> 2 years of your life wasted with a lot of extra debt and opportunity cost of working in another field/completing a masters, etc. 2) fail step but pass later - red flag, limited options and locations for residency, which could mean you're not even able to practice medicine in a field of interest. 3) pass with low score - can't retake because you passed. Risk again, similar to that of "2." With that said, some people who pass first attempt still don't even match. Factor that with additional debt for the 2 years beyond taking step 1 and even more opportunity cost from doing anything else and 2 years more of 'wasted' time --> I think you get the point.

Not a comparison by ANY means to me.

The answer depends entirely on your definition of "higher stakes".

They are both 'high stakes' exams in the sense that they can alter your career significantly. It is hard to say that one is objectively more impactful than the other because it really depends at what point in your training you are at and your outlooks on life.

Any idea if matriculant scores are normally distributed around 31? And if so, any idea what the SD is?
Mean 31.4
SD 3.9

I don't have my old Official Guide to the MCAT Exam book any more but it showed the applicant distribution in that and it was not quite normal, sort of smooshed to the right as you'd expect because the score assignment curve is normal but the lower end are much more likely not to apply.

No idea how matriculation curve looks.

I took both and I argue that the MCAT is a higher stakes exam. An insanely tiny minority of US MD students actually get a sub-200 score. Essentially every US MD or DO student who takes the step will end up practicing medicine.

And if you score average (230) you have a legit shot at a wide range of specialties that are not ortho/ENT/derm type. And guess what, most med students are not after those anyway.

You do average on the step1, you'll be OK. You do average on the MCAT (25), well go teach high school biology.

The fact that MCAT allows retakes lowers the stakes tremendously and I'll accept that argument. However the argument that MCAT allows unlimited study time is not related to the stakes of the exam, rather that is related to degree of difficulty. You can't conflate the 2.

Reactions: 5 users
Step 1 is higher stakes, no competition.

If you fail the MCAT, you retake it or find a new career path and move on with your life. You haven't invested that much in a medical career at this point so no gain, no foul.
If you fail Step 1, you are likely to be trapped doing a specialty you may not particularly enjoy for a very long time while being in 6 figure debt.

Mean 31.4
SD 3.9

I don't have my old Official Guide to the MCAT Exam book any more but it showed the applicant distribution in that and it was not quite normal, sort of smooshed to the right as you'd expect because the score assignment curve is normal but the lower end are much more likely not to apply.

No idea how matriculation curve looks.

Not anymore, matriculant mean for DO schools is now around a 502 (~27 little less) and 508 (30) for MD. Both of them took a dip.

Edit: adding sources
https://www.aamc.org/download/321494/data/factstablea16.pdf

http://www.aacom.org/docs/default-s...riculant-profile-summary-report.pdf?sfvrsn=10

I took both and I argue that the MCAT is a higher stakes exam. An insanely tiny minority of US MD students actually get a sub-200 score. Essentially every US MD or DO student who takes the step will end up practicing medicine.

And if you score average (230) you have a legit shot at a wide range of specialties that are not ortho/ENT/derm type. And guess what, most med students are not after those anyway.

You do average on the step1, you'll be OK. You do average on the MCAT (25), well go teach high school biology.

The fact that MCAT allows retakes lowers the stakes tremendously and I'll accept that argument. However the argument that MCAT allows unlimited study time is not related to the stakes of the exam, rather that is related to degree of difficulty. You can't conflate the 2.

You seem to be very fixated on justifying your argument because of the high pass rate step 1. So let me ask you:

1. A soccer player with a >95% penalty shot success rate is up to shoot. It's the finals of the World Cup and if he makes the shot, the team wins, if he doesn't his team has a 95% chance to lose. Is that a high stakes scenario?

2. A patient needs to undergo a procedure/surgery with a success rate of 95% throughout the country. However, if there are any complications, this can lead to death, paraplegia, or other consequences that drastically changes the patient's lifestyle. Is that a high stakes scenario for both the doctor and patient?

Given the moment, they're both incredibly high stakes. But if we use your logic, neither of them are high stakes because of the historically high success rate. 20/20 hindsight based on statistics does not always tell the full story. Reality is, every med student that goes in to take step 1 has a probability of failing the exam. Whether it is a high or low chance is up to the individual, but there's a chance to be in some heavy debt with a not so bright career path.

You will then proceed to counter this analogy with:

1. Despite all of the soccer team's hard work, legacy, and the hopes of a nation behind him, if the player does miss the shot, he's still making millions of dollars. NBD right? No need to account for the fact that he will shoulder the pain of missing that shot for all of his career.
This is your "scoring average or slightly below average step 1" argument.

2. The second scenario is what YOU deem to be the failing MCAT scenario. Essentially "bum life" and "go teach high school kids" argument.
This is where your issue is. There are plenty of successful individuals who transitioned out of medicine and live an equally or more successful life in another field. The individual may become an entrepreneur or investor and make more than you would ever make as a physician in a couple of years. Or they could go into research and fit very well into that environment. They get millions of dollars of funding and are just as successful. There are plenty of researchers in my building with this kind of background.

For an individual who just went through the process of taking and waiting for step 1 results, I had a lot of sympathy and understanding for you. But each ignorant and arrogant comment that you spout just highlights how flawed your thinking is. There will be plenty of DOs who score higher than you on step 1 and there will be plenty of people who are successful just because they don't have an MD next to their name. It's time to get off that high horse and treat people in different fields with the respect that you want to receive as well when you become an MD.

You seem to be very fixated on justifying your argument because of the high pass rate step 1. So let me ask you:

1. A soccer player with a >95% penalty shot success rate is up to shoot. It's the finals of the World Cup and if he makes the shot, the team wins, if he doesn't his team has a 95% chance to lose. Is that a high stakes scenario?

2. A patient needs to undergo a procedure/surgery with a success rate of 95% throughout the country. However, if there are any complications, this can lead to death, paraplegia, or other consequences that drastically changes the patient's lifestyle. Is that a high stakes scenario for both the doctor and patient?

Given the moment, they're both incredibly high stakes. But if we use your logic, neither of them are high stakes because of the historically high success rate. 20/20 hindsight based on statistics does not always tell the full story. Reality is, every med student that goes in to take step 1 has a probability of failing the exam. Whether it is a high or low chance is up to the individual, but there's a chance to be in some heavy debt with a not so bright career path.

You will then proceed to counter this analogy with:

1. Despite all of the soccer team's hard work, legacy, and the hopes of a nation behind him, if the player does miss the shot, he's still making millions of dollars. NBD right? No need to account for the fact that he will shoulder the pain of missing that shot for all of his career.
This is your "scoring average or slightly below average step 1" argument.

2. The second scenario is what YOU deem to be the failing MCAT scenario. Essentially "bum life" and "go teach high school kids" argument.
This is where your issue is. There are plenty of successful individuals who transitioned out of medicine and live an equally or more successful life in another field. The individual may become an entrepreneur or investor and make more than you would ever make as a physician in a couple of years. Or they could go into research and fit very well into that environment. They get millions of dollars of funding and are just as successful. There are plenty of researchers in my building with this kind of background.

For an individual who just went through the process of taking and waiting for step 1 results, I had a lot of sympathy and understanding for you. But each ignorant and arrogant comment that you spout just highlights how flawed your thinking is. There will be plenty of DOs who score higher than you on step 1 and there will be plenty of people who are successful just because they don't have an MD next to their name. It's time to get off that high horse and treat people in different fields with the respect that you want to receive as well when you become an MD.
Tldr

Maybe that's the reason why u don't feel so hot about ur step 1 score
Reading convoluted pointless passages is more of an MCAT verbal skill. Most hated section on any exam in existence. You just re-created it. :vomit:

Last edited:
Just got my step score back. I now think step1 is more important than MCAT ;)

How did your MCAT/Step 1 score correlate?

36 and 257. So I think that is pretty in-line with what you'd expect from percentiles and the different pool of test takers. I think 36 is ~ 97%tile while 257 is ~ 93%tile. A bit lower percentile on step1 because the pool of test takers is different. Neither of these scores are elite on SDN, but I am grateful and happy with them.

Reactions: 4 users
36 and 257. So I think that is pretty in-line with what you'd expect from percentiles and the different pool of test takers. I think 36 is ~ 97%tile while 257 is ~ 93%tile. A bit lower percentile on step1 because the pool of test takers is different. Neither of these scores are elite on SDN, but I am grateful and happy with them.
They're pretty elite haha

Reactions: 7 users
Do you have a write-up for your prep?

But you've put in more time and money before step 1 than the mcat. You have more to lose

But you've put in more time and money before step 1 than the mcat. You have more to lose
Yeah but if you go to an MD school , even with a failed step one attempt you will still match to a FM residency. If you fail the MCAT that means no med school. Being a doctor is greater than not being a doctor.

Congrats! Also the Step 1 test taker pool is smarter and more competitive since they're basically all medical students hoping to match into US residency.

lol 93 percentile isn't elite. Get the fo outta here

congrats, but get the fo outta here :mad:

Yeah but if you go to an MD school , even with a failed step one attempt you will still match to a FM residency. If you fail the MCAT that means no med school. Being a doctor is greater than not being a doctor.

And how many times can you retake the MCAT vs retaking step 1? You probably have at least 3 chances to do well and still have a good chance to apply and be accepted. You can also retake a mediocre performance. With step 1, you don't have that chance. It's either pass or fail and with a step 1 fail, you get one chance to make it right. After that, you're pretty much done.

And how many times can you retake the MCAT vs retaking step 1? You probably have at least 3 chances to do well and still have a good chance to apply and be accepted. You can also retake a mediocre performance. With step 1, you don't have that chance. It's either pass or fail and with a step 1 fail, you get one chance to make it right. After that, you're pretty much done.
Two Mcat scores of 25 or less are sealing your fate for the most part as well.