This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flamingo477

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Drs,
I did my exam may the 3rd in Atlanta. I did plenty of mistakes that I hope would not lead me to a fail.
- Did not have the time my personal notes perfectly. Many of them had only 2 DDx and some even did not have any supporting evidence.
- Did not have time to add more than 3 workup tests. One of them I had a typo where I wrote 'baginal' instead of vaginal, and use D/C abbreviation where I meant discharge but can have so many more meanings.
- One patient I did not really know what was wrong with him so I made a DDx and workup completely different from what it should have been.
- In one case, I did soooo many maneuvers during the encounter but did not write them up in the PN except the one most pertinent the case.
- I did perform Rinne and Weber test BUT FORGOT TO write them up in my PN.
I feel self-loathing given that I am an IMG and studied my ass off for step 1 and ended up with high 250. This would literally ruin any small shot at a decent place for IM.
I can't focus on studying on step 2 CK now, why would they delay scores for 3 months!!!! OMG the whole ECFMG application is nerve-racking!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I passed and these are the dumb things that I did (I took CS during a surgical sub-I really sleep deprived with minimal prep):
- no counseling... one of the SPs may have told me they do roughly many shots and drink lots of beer every day and I did not CAGE or counsel them, for some reason I blanked and said something cringy like "good for you." I idea why I did that, I try to counsel most patients irl lol.
- I was objectively rude to a demanding/anxious patient... she was acting like legit a patient my attending wouldn't hesitate to call hospital security on, that's too much.
- I didn't document tons of my physical exam findings.. Rovsing's psoas obturator... I usually blanked when writing my note, and also forgot to mention vitals on a few notes.
- on once case took like 3 minutes to try to do an ophthalmoscopic exam and couldn't see anything, just gave up.
- put 1 on the Ddx for a few cases... the cases were really vague and my ROS/HPI gave me nothing
- pretty sure I made tons of typos but they don't count for your grading as long as it is clear what you meant
- some of the SPs were so bad, it was like "The Room" tier acting... I'm pretty sure one SP forgot the story they were supposed to present and then got flustered and started changing a bunch of details about their visit halfway through the HPI. some of the acting was just awful. My school's SPs blew these SPs out of the water.

I passed though! Passing that miserable exam was the best feeling ever!

I am glad that you passed. Yes i can only imagine what a relief to pass!
Thank you for sharing your experience. ! question though, where and when did you take the test?
I searched the internet and everyone mentioned that starting September 2017 the grading was tougher for some reason..

Philly
I took it in August or July 2018

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Drs,
I did my exam may the 3rd in Atlanta. I did plenty of mistakes that I hope would not lead me to a fail.
- Did not have the time my personal notes perfectly. Many of them had only 2 DDx and some even did not have any supporting evidence.
- Did not have time to add more than 3 workup tests. One of them I had a typo where I wrote 'baginal' instead of vaginal, and use D/C abbreviation where I meant discharge but can have so many more meanings.
- One patient I did not really know what was wrong with him so I made a DDx and workup completely different from what it should have been.
- In one case, I did soooo many maneuvers during the encounter but did not write them up in the PN except the one most pertinent the case.
- I did perform Rinne and Weber test BUT FORGOT TO write them up in my PN.
I feel self-loathing given that I am an IMG and studied my ass off for step 1 and ended up with high 250. This would literally ruin any small shot at a decent place for IM.
I can't focus on studying on step 2 CK now, why would they delay scores for 3 months!!!! OMG the whole ECFMG application is nerve-racking!!!!

This is one of my fears in regard to my exam. I had a few cases where one of the three on my DDx may have been possible, but only had time to list one item for support on those. Worried that this will be a big problem on my exam.

Also had a weird case I had no idea about at the time and not sure my DDx made much sense. Just hoping for the best.

This is one of my fears in regard to my exam. I had a few cases where one of the three on my DDx may have been possible, but only had time to list one item for support on those. Worried that this will be a big problem on my exam.

Also had a weird case I had no idea about at the time and not sure my DDx made much sense. Just hoping for the best.

thanks for responding, op! :)

not to one up you at all but my mistakes were horrible. i did the opposite and list diagnoses that were way out there because i felt so nervous about leaving entries empty. i also listed 2 diagnoses in one line for a few stations. and there were ***3*** stations i had no idea what the heck was going on -- everyone i talked to said that they had just one station like that.

i keep trying not to think about this terrible test but i'm studying for step 2 ck and keep realizing all the stupid mistakes i made. i'm praying for the best, especially since i'm applying to a very competitive residency and am taking this test during a gap year so they'll see the results before i apply

as awful as that sounds, at least we can worry in misery together? haha

Reactions: 1 user