Stressed & Lost incoming freshman

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mostlymedical

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm sorry if this is long.
I'm having a hard time right now. I am going to start my first semester of college in a few days, and it's currently add/drop. I am extremely stressed, because due to a horrible situation (out of my control) where my transcripts were lost, I am now scrambling to pick classes. The only problem is that if I don't take 15+ credits I lose my scholarship. Because of this and the transcript mess, I'm having to add classes I don't think are going to help me in the future, since most of the beneficial classes are gone :(

Right now, I am locked in Chem 1+ lab (4 credits), pre calc (3 credits) and a seminar (1 credit). I would love to take Bio I too, to be on track with my sciences, but it isn't available so the likelihood of it freeing up is slim.
I've been fiddling around and adding and dropping a bunch of classes, but I can't figure out a combo that I feel good about. I feel like no matter what, I'll end up being super behind and taking a bunch of B.S. classes. The classes I'm considering taking are electives that satisfy my needs for cultural studies and gen eds (social sciences, ethics, humanities) but right now I have to take 3 of these to get to 15 credits, and I feel like that's just not helping me. Also, I'm afraid of overloading on my gen eds and being forced to take many harder classes together in the future.

In my schedule, I tentatively have criminology (3 credits, social science), world music history (3 credits, humanities, culture requirement), and world religions (3 credits, humanities, culture). I'm kinda freaking out because this isn't at all what a typical courseload looks like for a sciences major.

I'm currently a semester ahead in english because of dual enrollment, so that at least puts me a bit ahead of the "academic guide" my school provided me. I don't think I'd be royally behind after this year, and I know my GPA would be pretty solid. I guess I'm just hesitant to take so-called easy classes because I feel like I have to. Any advice? I really need help, advice on picking classes or just some reassurance that I'll be alright and not super behind because of this semester.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm having a hard time right now. I am going to start my first semester of college in a few days, and it's currently add/drop. I am extremely stressed, because due to a horrible situation (out of my control) where my transcripts were lost, I am now scrambling to pick classes. The only problem is that if I don't take 15+ credits I lose my scholarship. Because of this and the transcript mess, I'm having to add classes I don't think are going to help me in the future, since most of the beneficial classes are gone :(

Right now, I am locked in Chem 1+ lab (4 credits), pre calc (3 credits) and a seminar (1 credit). I would love to take Bio I too, to be on track with my sciences, but it isn't available so the likelihood of it freeing up is slim.
I've been fiddling around and adding and dropping a bunch of classes, but I can't figure out a combo that I feel good about. I feel like no matter what, I'll end up being super behind and taking a bunch of B.S. classes. The classes I'm considering taking are electives that satisfy my needs for cultural studies and gen eds (social sciences, ethics, humanities) but right now I have to take 3 of these to get to 15 credits, and I feel like that's just not helping me. Also, I'm afraid of overloading on my gen eds and being forced to take many harder classes together in the future.

In my schedule, I tentatively have criminology (3 credits, social science), world music history (3 credits, humanities, culture requirement), religion (3 credits, humanities, culture), and history. I'm kinda freaking out because this isn't at all what a typical courseload looks like for a sciences major.

I'm currently a semester ahead in english because of dual enrollment, so that at least puts me a bit ahead of the "academic guide" my school provided me. I don't think I'd be royally behind after this year, and I know my GPA would be pretty solid. I guess I'm just hesitant to take so-called easy classes because I feel like I have to. Any advice? I really need help, advice on picking classes or just some reassurance that I'll be alright and not super behind because of this semester.
As long as you're in Chem 1, you're fine. Being behind in the bio sequence isn't that bad. You can catch up next year.

Even if you end up taking most of your gen ed courses this semester and even next, you can still take other elective courses in future semesters, so that it's not all hard courses.

Classes such as psychology, sociology, philosophy, statistics, second semester English, etc. are all helpful courses that you should check to see if you can take.

Reactions: 3 users
As long as you're in Chem 1, you're fine. Being behind in the bio sequence isn't that bad. You can catch up next year.

Even if you end up taking most of your gen ed courses this semester and even next, you can still take other elective courses in future semesters, so that it's not all hard courses.

Classes such as psychology, sociology, philosophy, statistics, second semester English, etc. are all helpful courses that you should check to see if you can take.
thanks for the good advice and reassurance, i really needed it. I did try for electives such as psych and sociology but they're taken, so i've just been checking like a maniac hoping someone drops haha

Members don't see this ad :)

In my schedule, I tentatively have criminology (3 credits, social science), world music history (3 credits, humanities, culture requirement), and world religions (3 credits, humanities, culture). I'm kinda freaking out because this isn't at all what a typical courseload looks like for a sciences major.

Don't worry about looking like a typical science major. You are an incoming freshman. You have plenty of time. Just focus on doing well in your classes and keeping your scholarship.

You are going to have plenty of stuff to stress out about if you remain a premed. Don't start freaking out now, lest you burn out before you even get to the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 users

First, take a deep breath; you're at the very beginning of a very long journey, so you'll be just fine. Right now you're locked into 8 semester hours, with a need to find 7 more, as I understand you. If you took a Psych and an English, that would give you 6 more, and you then might consider completing your course-load with a PE Activities class, which might help you dissipate some nervous energy. Good luck.

Reactions: 4 users