This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredent6

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I am new on here and I am currently struggling in my school and in the process of transferring to a new one. I graduated from high school in 2014 and attended a private university as a freshman. I ended up becoming severily depressed and took a medical withdrawal. I returned in Fall 2015 and ended up finishing the semester with only 5 credits after withdrawing from 10 credits after battling the depression bug again. Spring 2016 I completed 12 credits with 2 A's and 2 B's. fast forward to Fall 2016, I completed 13 credits with 2 A's, 1 C, and 1 B ( i withdrew from Physics I however). Now I am in Spring of 2017 and I am looking at transferring schools. I started this semester with 15 credit hours and have had to withdraw from Chem I lab, Spanish II, and possibly one more class meaning if I withdraw from the 3rd I will have finished 9 hours. So all that being said.

1. Is it possible to still be a dentist despite all the withdrawals? (my gpa is a 3.1)
2. When I transfer will my withdrawals show up on my transcript at the new university or only the classes I am receiving transfer credit for?
3. Is there hope for me?

Members don't see this ad.

1. Yes of course it is! It's time to get into gear though
2. When you apply to dental school, you will be required to submit transcripts for all schools you've attended. This means that they will see your withdrawals even if you retake the class at your new school.
3. Yes of course there is. Maybe you should give this thread a read.

You have the opportunity to tell a story to dental school admissions with your transcript if you can get an upward trend from here on out. It will show how you struggled at first but ultimately came out on top. Being a competitive applicant is tough and takes a lot of work, but if dentistry is your passion you'll make it happen. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
There is hope. But you need to do what it takes to succeed. Dental School is not easy - definitely more challenging than undergrad, and you do not get the option to drop courses. It's faster, more information, more labwork, and way more $$ in most cases.
You're going to have to find your recipe for success. Create a routine that works for YOU. Also, it's important to communicate; find a group of friends you study well with if that works.
I know it's stressful, so I wish you the best of luck.

Reactions: 1 user