Struggling with pre-pharm - should I transfer now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pharmatttack

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a 2nd year pre-pharm student at a small, specialized, 0-6 health sciences school.
Right now I'm taking Orgo I, Physics I, Microbiology, and a humanities coursee for a total of 15 credits.

My problem is that my grades are completely going down the tube. First semester of 1st year I had a 3.7, second semester I dropped down to a 3.2. I'm currently one exam in and got Ds in both Orgo (66) and Physics (62)...I really enjoy micro but I only got a B- on the first exam for that. I'm doing less than stellar in the lab portions for all three.

I told myself I shouldn't freak out until the second exam, but guess what, I AM. I study for a minimum of six to eight hours a day in addition to classes, plus I work 12 hours a week at a retail pharmacy (which I enjoy) - I feel as if there's nothing else I can do. It's beyond frustrating. I was the salutatorian of my high school class, aced all of my regents, got an 88 composite on my PCAT (4 on the Writing) over the summer, thought I genuinely liked science and would be fine...but now I'm questioning everything. At this rate, I'm not sure if I'll even make it into P1. I don't want to spend my entire summer remediating classes, and did I mention that I have to keep a 3.25 to keep my $20K scholarship?

So I guess my question is, to those who are deeper in than I am, did you struggle, and if so, did you overcome it or change paths? And if I'm struggling now, should I just bag pharmacy while I'm only ~$60K in debt and look into transferring to another school with a different major, or should I try and push through? I've never felt more lost/confused...I talked to advising at my school, and they were useless. I need guidance.
 
Last edited:
Many students do poorly due to working while in a rigorous curriculum. I strongly suggest you consider cutting down to 8 or less hours per week, or maybe just once or twice a month. My pharmacist told me, you will be working for the rest of your life, but pharmacy school is a one time deal.

Studying 6-8 hrs a day seems excessive (especially, if its nowhere near exam week). I would reflect on your study methods too.
 
If you doubt yourself, there's no chance, but if you use your strengths and appeal to them, you'll definitely have a chance. Don't doubt yourself, if this is something you want to do, go for it. If everything in life was easy, everyone would be doing it.