This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DJSWIM6348

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. Currently, I am about to finish my senior year at the University of Southern California. I entered undergraduate as pre-med and completed some of the requirements. However, after my first semester of sophomore year I realized that I might not be cut out for it, and that maybe that wasn't what I wanted to do with my life. I changed my courses around and ended up majoring in global health with a minor in business finance. I thought I would get an MBA, but after two summer internships in business and finance, I realize that I want to become a doctor again, and that that is what I see myself being happy doing in the long run. I do not know how I approach completing this dream, though. Most post-baccs I have looked at require no science classes to have been previously taken, which makes me ineligible. Even if I only take the courses I haven't yet completed, I am worried about my knowledge in the classes I did complete. (I didn't do as good as I wanted to.) I want to get a good MCAT score and be competitive for a good medical (MD) school.

These are the classes I have previously taken and my grades:
Gen Chem I: A-
Gen Chem II: B
O-CHem I: B
BIO I: C+
Calculus I: C+

I still have not taken any physics, psych, stats, soci, or biochem. I am worried that my previous classes and performance in them will make it hard for me to get into a good program to get into a good medical school.

I did volunteer in college, shadow, research, and even have a certificate in pre-licensed clinical care from a UCLA program I completed.

Any advice on what my next steps should be, would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't understand how you are in a grey zone? Your competitiveness for med school will depend on the grades you get in your remaining science courses, and your MCAT. Work hard to get A's, complete all your prereqs, and study for the MCAT and you're fine.