Study Chair

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDpride

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whats the best chair for studying /sitting long time with comfort?

Members don't see this ad.

I bought an "executive chair" at the beginning of this year, and I am extremely happy with the purchase. I was planning on spending ~$30 on some POS chair, but I opted to pay $100 the super-padded one I bought. I study at home, so I'm going to spend many, many hours in this chair. It was worth every penny.

Mine is a lot like this one but without the metal-looking parts (i.e. not as nice): http://www.amazon.com/B8601-Executi...=UTF8&s=office-products&qid=1250972996&sr=8-4

By the way, I got mine at Wal-Mart.

Have you ever seen the movie "Burn After Reading"?

Members don't see this ad :)
king-tut-throne-replica-chair.jpg

One word... BALLER

I have an old school type wooden chair and I put a cushion on it. I can't stand studying in a nice chair for some reason...

I have a huge round one that I like to read in. Am currently begging my dad for an eames lounge chair and ottoman replica, they are crazy expensive though.

I just use a padded computer desk chair without arms (the arms get in the way for me, since I like to sit really close to my desk). I recommend getting a mesh fabric chair because it allows for better air circulation so if your bottom starts getting hot or sweaty after a few hours of sitting, it can aerate and won't collect a pool of sweat between your thighs when you stand up.

Whats the best chair for studying /sitting long time with comfort?

Not sitting for long periods of time is the best "chair" for studying. Your brain gets less efficient the longer you sit. Most people have an attention span that is 50 minutes at max. Get up; walk around and get some blood circulating to those glutes. Then it doesn't matter what type of chair you sit in.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's the truth--the radiology reading room is filled with these.

Its pretty pimp, too bad these cost upwards of 1000 dollars, maybe I'll get one AFTER i become a doctor so I can play ergonomically on my Starcraft2. The history of the chair is pretty interesting too. Back in the 90's they weren't adopted because of the radical look, now everyone is trying to emulate it.

Ikea to the rescue!

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00103102

I like it a lot and it was only 200 dollars. (of course you can get a 60 dollar chair that won't be too bad but it will probably break down after a couple of years)

I have this one too and I think like 5 other guys in my class have it too. Its very comfertable to a OK price. I thought to myself that since I will have the chair for 6 year (I'm in a 6MD program) I didn't want a POS chair I didnt feel comfertable in.

But I study at the library so I rarly use it :rolleyes: The only downside is that it can get a bit sticky on the seat if its a warm day. But the back-support is made of a breathing type fabric which is really nice against this.

For those who love to study at home, please please please invest in a good chair. You will be happy you did so. And I'm not talking about something that costs an arm and a leg. There are plenty of decent selections in department stores. I got mine from Target for $80-90, and it absolutely rocks. Also, it is great fun to spin around in an executive chair.

I hate chairs with arms because I can't sit indian-style.

I just use my Ikea dining room chairs that are metal and wood. I tend to slouch and have bad posture, and these help me not do that.

toilet-bowl.jpg

I wish I was joking.

After the first few months of medical school, the "comfort" of one of them padded office chairs wears out. I currently hate mine with a passion and want to burn it, and almost enjoy my bowel movements now because it means I get to leave my stupid office chair and bring my textbook into the bathroom for 5 minutes, so that my asscheeks can reposition and my spine can take a break. Note that I recently studied for Step 1, so that might be it too.

toilet-bowl.jpg

I wish I was joking.

After the first few months of medical school, the "comfort" of one of them padded office chairs wears out. I currently hate mine with a passion and want to burn it, and almost enjoy my bowel movements now because it means I get to leave my stupid office chair and bring my textbook into the bathroom for 5 minutes, so that my asscheeks can reposition and my spine can take a break. Note that I recently studied for Step 1, so that might be it too.

Studying profusely on the toilet gives you blistering popping anal hemorrhoids, no joke

I hate chairs with arms because I can't sit indian-style.

I just use my Ikea dining room chairs that are metal and wood. I tend to slouch and have bad posture, and these help me not do that.

What is it with indian style anyway? I never understood how anyone found that comfortable. Probably because my legs fell asleep within a few minutes. Not that I could do it in a chair with or without arms anyway.

Last edited:
Indian style is awesome

It probably helps that I'm short and skinny.

I have a big leather armchair that makes for comfortable studying.

yes, old thread, but BUMP!!!

Today while studying on campus, I sat on this chair:

http://www.amazon.com/Aeron®-Chair-...UTF8&s=office-products&qid=1279598721&sr=1-16

I never really gave a crap about chairs (and usually laughed at people who did), but after spending 8 hours in the library today sitting on it, I can now say that I understand why people invest so much money in comfortable chairs. I can actually see myself putting that $900 on my credit card so that my~40 hours a week sitting on it feel infinitely better. People, today was simply AMAZING.

Anyone with a badass chair feel like bragging? Milkman, how you feeling about that chair? Still rocking it?

http://www.amazon.com/Aeron®-Chair-...UTF8&s=office-products&qid=1279598721&sr=1-16

I never really gave a crap about chairs (and usually laughed at people who did), but after spending 8 hours in the library today sitting on it, I can now say that I understand why people invest so much money in comfortable chairs. I can actually see myself putting that $900 on my credit card so that my~40 hours a week sitting on it feel infinitely better. People, today was simply AMAZING.

Anyone with a badass chair feel like bragging? Milkman, how you feeling about that chair? Still rocking it?

wow, i didnt know they were that expensive. Those are the chairs in our PBL rooms. They dont look like much in person they they are pretty comfy

I don't understand how that mesh makes it comfortable however. The executive chairs look more comfortable. I guess I need to try out these fancy ones on campus.

You started school already?

wow, i didnt know they were that expensive. Those are the chairs in our PBL rooms. They dont look like much in person they they are pretty comfy

I know! I had no idea either. There were quite a few of them on my floor though. I didn't think my school would actually buy something this expensive. I always thought they were cheap asses.

I don't understand how that mesh makes it comfortable however. The executive chairs look more comfortable. I guess I need to try out these fancy ones on campus.

You started school already?

Two weeks left baby! promised myself I'd go through costanzo's physiology before school started. Haven't done anything remotely close to school (or science for that matter) in the last 2 months. I need to get in the groove. Everyone you talk to says m2 is a bitch. I don't do surprises anymore - not after what happened in m1.

I was lucky enough that my mom spoiled me and got me a really nice executive chair freshman year in college, what a wonderful thing it is :D

Anyone ever see those seats that have leg rests? I think they are for improving posture, was thinking about getting one.

Yeah, these chairs are incredible. They have them all over here at the hospital. I never thought they would be that expensive though...

Perhaps a graduation present?

http://www.amazon.com/Aeron%C2%AE-Chair-Full-Featured-PostureFit-Color/dp/B00023SWW8/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&s=office-products&qid=1279598721&sr=1-16

Are these really that good? I was considering getting the chair that Milkman suggest on the second post but I guess if these two chairs are really worlds apart, then despite the costs, I think it would be wise to invest on this particular chair. Would you say they are the equivalent of tempur pedic vs traditional bed? :cool:

Last edited:
If I am at school I like to use the office chairs and not the hard backed ones. But I mainly study at home and use my oversized chair and ottoman since it provides excellent back support and it doesn't feel as much like studying if you are cuddled up with a warm blanket and a book.

BUMP!

I'm almost about to invest in this chair. Do you still feel the same about it?

I'm putting in many hours a day for board studying and my back is killing me.

I appreciate any input.

:xf:

My back thanks me every time I plop my ass into my Aeron. One of the best gifts I've ever received.

Considering the number of hours you spend in your desk chair, I think investing in a nice chair is really important.

You can get Aerons for discounted prices from offices having furniture sales and such. My brother got his for like $200 that way.

My back thanks me every time I plop my ass into my Aeron. One of the best gifts I've ever received.

Considering the number of hours you spend in your desk chair, I think investing in a nice chair is really important.

You can get Aerons for discounted prices from offices having furniture sales and such. My brother got his for like $200 that way.

Exactly what I needed to hear. Thanks a lot...Will order mine for sure. :thumbup:

This is lifted directly from one of the reviews on the Aeron Chair on Amazon:

1. On cold days this chair is freezing. (put a blanket on it)
2. Women say it will ruin pantyhose and some fabrics.
3. Don't fart. Everyone in a 100 yard radius will hear it.

It's so true. I love these things. They have them at the library here.

I, on the other hand, scored a nice exec chair from an office that was moving. They had a recycling event where I traded my old printer for the chair.

Anybody ever try out these chairs:

http://www.hermanmiller.com/Products/Mirra-Chairs

http://www.healthyback.com/products/Herman-miller/Embody-chair/718

http://www.healthyback.com/products/Steelcase/Leap-chair/116

I've heard these are the new and improved versions of Aeron by Herman Miller (same maker) and one other company. Some guy at a store today was telling me how the Aeron is not the best bet and that these are better, but they are a couple hundred more. My back is screwed from Step 1 studying so I need a good chair!

Anybody ever try out these chairs:

http://www.hermanmiller.com/Products/Mirra-Chairs

http://www.healthyback.com/products/Herman-miller/Embody-chair/718

http://www.healthyback.com/products/Steelcase/Leap-chair/116

I've heard these are the new and improved versions of Aeron by Herman Miller (same maker) and one other company. Some guy at a store today was telling me how the Aeron is not the best bet and that these are better, but they are a couple hundred more. My back is screwed from Step 1 studying so I need a good chair!

I guess it all depends on the person. Since coughing up those $900, I've been reading reviews everywhere (more so than studying). I read a lot of mixed reviews and only a few people don't like the Aeron that much.

It depends a lot on size. I'm pretty small, so that's why I went with the Aeron size A. I thought of the Embody, but that "one size fits all" is bull....

I haven't received it yet. Once I do i'll let you know if it was worth it or not.

:rolleyes:

I guess it all depends on the person. Since coughing up those $900, I've been reading reviews everywhere (more so than studying). I read a lot of mixed reviews and only a few people don't like the Aeron that much.

It depends a lot on size. I'm pretty small, so that's why I went with the Aeron size A. I thought of the Embody, but that "one size fits all" is bull....

I haven't received it yet. Once I do i'll let you know if it was worth it or not.

:rolleyes:

TOTALLY worth it. A lot of $$, but if you're someone like me that looks for any excuse to get up from my chair, then you better invest in something like this.

A little over a month and I can say that I can sit on this thing for HOURS straight. No aches whatsoever.

Thanks to whomever mentioned this chair. I'm out $900 bucks...but I got a nice chair.

Cheers!

I went to staples and just sat in all the chairs they sell for less than $200, the one I thought was most comfortable was like $100 and ive been super happy with it. The staples guy did mention not to get chairs that are padded too much because they will change a lot after the first couple months and you might not like it anymore.

Yeah, the Aeron Chair by Miller is fantastic and I actually like this version the best. It's comfortable and prevents you from slouching too much! You can pay up to $5000 for a gunner chair that you can adjust to your back etc. but imo you can get the same quality for $900.

I first saw this chair in my mom's office on Spring Break and it was fantastic.. All that sitting can really screw up your shoulders (depending on how you hold them) and of course your back...:)

I bought an "executive chair" at the beginning of this year, and I am extremely happy with the purchase. I was planning on spending ~$30 on some POS chair, but I opted to pay $100 the super-padded one I bought. I study at home, so I'm going to spend many, many hours in this chair. It was worth every penny.

Mine is a lot like this one but without the metal-looking parts (i.e. not as nice): http://www.amazon.com/B8601-Executi...=UTF8&s=office-products&qid=1250972996&sr=8-4

By the way, I got mine at Wal-Mart.

I second this.

*SPIIIIIIIIIIN*

Any good chairs that are in the $100-200 range.

I'd like to make a suggestion. How about not sitting at all? Sitting kills, dontcha know? it's the new smoking!

I kid, but just a little bit. I saw some of the articles last year about the negative health effects of sitting. I wasn't really too concerned about dying an early death at the time, but I did care about the tight neck and shoulders and achy low back I was having from sitting and stuyding all the time. And my legs were getting restless from so much sitting.

So I started to stand while studying at my bar countertop. It took some getting used to, but now I don't ever want to sit. I'm way more alert when I stand. My neck and back don't hurt.

There are a number of standing desk options coming up these days. You can hack your own from an Ikea table for like 30 bucks or you can get top of the line adjustable height ones like the radiologists have. :)

Either way, I suggest everyone give it a try. After the initial fatigue, it feels great. And for those of you who are 3rd years, you're already used to standing all the time. It's like rounding or chilling in the OR.