This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Prepharm21

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, so far I have taken my first bio class and I did good but I had to study so much and I wasnt even full time. My problem is I have to relisten to every lecture and it takes me so long because I pause and write down everything and I can't miss a detail because the tests are VERY specific. I don't even hang out with my friends I just studied for this course and fall is coming and I am taking much harder courses and I have to go to commute 5 days which I wasn't doing with the bio i just took. I have commuted 5 days a week in one semester and I got behind in my science course and it didn't even have a lab. I am very nervous because I take way to long to study and I have no idea how to change this. I have tried extremly hard to change but I still take a very long time, Its scary how long I take to study. I really need advice on how to study faster. Am I the only one that relistens to EVERY lecture? How to you guys study for class and lab practicals? Also how do you know what is important when you read the textbook I feel like I write everything down. I appreciate the help!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I also commute 5 days a week and my studying habits change from class to class. For bio, I read the book and write down important questions, then I'll answer the chapters at the end. For chemistry, I do ALL of the practice problems and look over definitions and important ideas. It takes practice to know what is important, but I try to think of it like a professor would. What are the most important ideas do the students need to know for their fields? I hope this helps!

Hello! I also commute 5 days a week and my studying habits change from class to class. For bio, I read the book and write down important questions, then I'll answer the chapters at the end. For chemistry, I do ALL of the practice problems and look over definitions and important ideas. It takes practice to know what is important, but I try to think of it like a professor would. What are the most important ideas do the students need to know for their fields? I hope this helps!

I second this. My studying varies from class to class, but I only listen to lectures if the professor offers them. Just take notes on your laptop if they're a fast lecturer, at least I find that useful. Try and not nit pick every detail. If your professor bases the lecture after the textbook, thoroughly read the textbook and highlight and make sure you understand the information. The questions at the end of each section are tremendously helpful, don't overlook those! These will likely be similar to the questions your professor will ask for the test.
I can't emphasize enough about the benefits of reading the textbook. I used to struggle in chemistry and the text helped me turn around my grades and study much less.