Studying for April 28th MCAT full-time student and work-study

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Manny Q's

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
My MCAT is April 28th and I haven't started studying yet but will start this week (1/15)

I am currently registered for 17 hours for Spring 2017:
1. Algebra-based Physics with lab (4 hours)
2. Child Psychology (3 hours)
3. PE (1 hour)
4. Biostats (3 hours)
5. Animal Biology (3 hours)
6. STEM teaching program for children (3 hours) *counts as a science class and I need sciGPA boost
NOTE: I registered for the "easiest" and best professors, so every class besides physics is known as being a guaranteed A.
Along with this, I am in work-study which requires 10/hrs/week but very flexible...

Is this too much while studying for the MCAT? How many hours a day should I dedicate for MCAT? I am already planning on studying all day every weekend... help

Members don't see this ad.

I've been studying 4 hours (no distractions, hardcore) per day, since September (my MCAT date is 3/31) But I've haven't taken science classes in 6 years and I'm working full time (40+ hours a week)

I started by making a really rigorous study plan

Reactions: 1 user
No one here can tell you what is too much for you or what you can or should do. Only you can make those decisions.

Mark down the last day you can register for the MCAT in the 'gold' registration zone. And look in to this, but it's my understanding that if you register in that gold zone and need to change your test date you can do so either for no charge or with the smallest fees. Then schedule a full length exam right before the last day to change your exam date. Then work backwards and write up your study schedule. Then evaluate - is this feasible? Can you see how your week will play out accomplishing all of those goals? Does it fill you with dread or excitement? If you decide to go forward, you have built in an opportunity to delay the test if you're not ready. If you need to shift things, do.

Personally I'm taking Biochem, Ochem II, Ochem lab, and Physics II with lab and recitation and hoping to take the MCAT in April. And I have 3 kids. And a house, blah blah blah. But I've worked out a daily schedule from now until the end of May. I know what my week looks like and what hours I can study. I've worked out my childcare expenses and when I can take the full lengths and where I can take them when I need to be serious about them. And I've built in that failsafe. If I'm approaching the test date and I'm not ready, I won't take it. But at this point I've reviewed all the material for two sections of the MCAT, and will finish the rest of my content review over the next two weeks, excluding what I'll be learning in my classes this semester. I specifically chose teachers who are known for teaching the material and teaching it well, knowing that I will have to work hard to earn my A, but that doing so will benefit my MCAT score. I've also built in self-care to my week! Turns out exercise, sleep, water, and social/family interactions keep me sane - also giving me a better chance of doing well.

Buy a day planner. Fill it out. Evaluate. Then be ready to bail if you need to.

And honestly, I wouldn't recommend my upcoming semester to anyone. It might be awful. But I am *so excited*. I love this material, I love tests, I love being busy and having more on my schedule than I could practically do, I thrive with this sort of absurd chaos. So I'm letting myself do it. But also keeping my goals in mind and being ready to adapt. Think about how you thrive and what makes you tick. If you study best without structure, take the test over the summer. If you work better under pressure, build a little in.