Studying for the GRE verbal--specifcally the reading comprehension

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

beautyvuitton

beautyvuitton
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I will be taking the GRE for the first in December. I have been using all of the Kaplan and Princeton review books give me tips, but I'm still not doing well on the practice questions (the reading comp). I don't know how to "skim" through a passage quickly, I seem to get lost in the details, and I have trouble at times getting the main idea.
 
I find it easiest to skip right to the questions. I read the question, then look for the answer in the passage. I absolutely suck at retaining what I read, but I still managed a 770 SAT verbal, 30 (perfect) ACT reading, and 650 GRE verbal using this strategy.
 
Those are some pretty amazing verbal scores VeganSoprano! Any tips for the analogies and antonyms? I have absolutely no idea how to improve on those 😕 , so any advice would help 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The best trick I learned for analogies is to make sentences out of the words. For example:

Crumb:bread as ____:house.

Before you look at the answers you should have a sentence and some idea of what you are looking for. "A crumb is a very small piece of bread." So what is a very small piece of a house? You're looking among the options for something like "brick" or "board". The simplest answer is the correct one. You shouldn't have to qualify your second sentences or add anything to it. Something like "window" will probably be among the options in order to throw you off. But rememeber that you're choosing the *best* available answer. "A brick is a very small piece of a house" makes more sense than "a window is a very small piece of a house" since you'd reasonably speak of a house being made of bricks but not a house being made of windows.

Of course, knowing your vocab cold is a big key. For antonyms especially, you have to distinguish subtle nuances of meaning. Knowing the basic definitions of words will get you an okay score, but you need to master the subtleties in order to get an awesome score. I think reading the New York Times is a good way to be exposed to a wide range of vocabulary words in context. Choose at least few articles a day that interest you and cover a reasonable breadth of topics. The best part about this strategy is that it doesn't actually feel like work.
 
I am taking my GRE in a couple of weeks!!! Really nervous!!! I am really bad on verbal!
For comprehension, what I do is I write down a couple of points saying what each paragraph is about. Then I'll just look back to my notes and answer most of the questions. I know it takes a little more time to write down the key points for each paragraph, but it'll pay off when answering question. Try it sometime! 🙂

How does one study for the antonym part? i am so bad at vocabulary........English isn't my first language and I am extremely bad at memorizing..
 
How does one study for the antonym part? i am so bad at vocabulary........English isn't my first language and I am extremely bad at memorizing..

You need to know your vocab thoroughly. Antonyms are big on asking you to tease out the tiniest differences between words. As an example, say the word is "gargantuan". Among your choices are "small" and "infinitesimal". "Small" is incorrect. "Gargantuan" means very, very large so the best answer is "infinitesimal", which means very, very small. You'll improve your skills by doing practice questions.

As for vocabulary, I'm a big fan of reading challenging but interesting material. The New York Times is my personal favorite, as I mentioned earlier. Vocab drills are fine for getting the basic definitions but they're also insanely boring and not all that effective. It's much easier to grasp the subtleties of a word when you learn it in context.
 
You need to know your vocab thoroughly. Antonyms are big on asking you to tease out the tiniest differences between words. As an example, say the word is "gargantuan". Among your choices are "small" and "infinitesimal". "Small" is incorrect. "Gargantuan" means very, very large so the best answer is "infinitesimal", which means very, very small. You'll improve your skills by doing practice questions.

As for vocabulary, I'm a big fan of reading challenging but interesting material. The New York Times is my personal favorite, as I mentioned earlier. Vocab drills are fine for getting the basic definitions but they're also insanely boring and not all that effective. It's much easier to grasp the subtleties of a word when you learn it in context.

Kind of agree. My wife (who is not a native English speaker) did well (GRE verbal 720) using flash cards with sentences using the word to help remember context. Personally I just memorized the definitions straight up ( GRE Verbal 760)


As for reading comprehension, I found that I was way-overanalyzing the questions at the beginning of my studies. I tried to just pick the most straight-forward interpretation of questions and that really helped for me.

We both used the same system... .skim the article once, then work back from the questions.
 
I am studying with a Kaplan book for the GRE test. I am planning on taking it within the next 2 weeks. For the reading comprehension I write down the following on my scrap and fill it in as I go along:

Topic: What is the article about? Ex: The Civil War
Scope: What specific aspect of the topic? Ex: The Women of the Civil War
Tone: What is the author's opinion of the topic? Ex: Author feels that women were not valued enough during the Civil War.

It works wonders for me. Another thing I will say is that, contrary to popular opinion, I don't like to write summaries of the paragraphs. The whole article is right in front of you for all of the questions so I find excessive summarizing to just be a waste of valuable time. Try to do a ton of practice problems and devise a plan that works for you.
 
This tips have all been very helpful. I'm most worried about the verbal section 😛
 
I thought I should chime in here, since I did manage a 700 on the GRE verbal and some of my tips MAY be of use.

The thing about studying for the verbal GRE is that you really need to understand yourself as a student in order to study efficiently. I know alot of people (all of whom are intelligent people) that spent countless hours studying for GRE verbal, only to walk out with a below average score, and this was mainly because they didn't study well.

Reading Comprehension:
For the SAT, i used the method where you look at the questions first, but that actually screwed me over. For me, that took up too much time because even after finding the section with my answer, i would end up having to read the few sentences before and after just to get some good context. Doing that for every question was a serious waste of time for me, and ended up hurting me quite a bit. However, if you're confident in your ability to make some keen conclusions quickly, then this method might be perfect for you.

I changed my methods for the GRE, and approached the passages by reading them at a pace somewhere between 'focused reading' and skimming. Skimming was rather pointless for me, because i would basically just end up re-reading EVERYTHING after looking at the questions. Other than that, i don't have too much to offer, because it seems that for this section is something you've prepared for (or haven't prepared for) your entire life just by reading.

Analogies/Antonyms:
Now, there aren't many things I boast about, but I am a machine when it comes to memorizing word lists. So if you're like me, and actually get a kick out of the challenge of tackling a list with thousands of words, then go for it. Honestly, i didn't have to spend a penny when it came to this part of my studying. I literally went to google, did a search for something like "GRE vocabulary list" and a found a couple lists, each with a couple thousand words. From then on, it was smooth sailing, and a ton of the words overlapped between different lists, and several of popped up on my actual exam. Also, i might add that a lot of study guides provide word lists in the form of groups, so that you can learn the words in bunches. This can be extremely helpful, but i would urge you to-once you have the word groups memorized- to try to look at some of the finer differences between words within a group, because the GRE LOVES to screw people over by using words of a similar meaning. I suspect that a minority of students excel by this method, but if you think you do (I was able to tell this would work because i've always done well with word lists in my foreign language courses), then go for it. It should even be a little fun for you.

If not, then there are some other things you could do. If, as someone above suggested, you're good at figuring out the meanings of words by context, then you could try some literary works. However, i don't know if this alone would be sufficient/efficient enough to get yourself a high score on the antonyms/analogies. Some people do well by learning latin/greek roots and such, but i personally found that there were too many exceptions to the rules for it to be helpful.

Most of this is probably stuff you already know, but i was mainly trying to point out that you should analyze yourself as a learner before you go and waste time studying inefficiently.

Hope this help, otherwise i just wasted a buttload of time 😎
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'll throw this question on here...

anyone know any good websites with practice exams? The ones that look really good aren't free 😛
 
I'll throw this question on here...

anyone know any good websites with practice exams? The ones that look really good aren't free 😛

I would just buy one book. I think most books come with 1-2 or more free practice exams. Usually there is a key/password that you get with the book and you can take them online. I mean, one book isn't a lot of money. You get the book with all the study info plus a couple exams for around 25$, it is a pretty good deal.

Also, ETS has 2 free ones. But since these are the most realistic ones. I would save these for later when you are getting closer to the real thing. Or maybe take 1 early and save 1 for later.
 
I have a couple of the Kaplan workbooks. They don't have practice exams, but they have several quizzes that are 10-16 questions. These questions are a ton more difficult than the questions I've been finding on the internet.
 
Try putting your finger next to the line you are reading (on the page or on the screen) and moving it as you read down the page. This will help you keep on track. Get the words in your head and note any uses of "however" or other contradictions, because those are important. Then, read the questions and look back for the answer in the sample.
 
I have a couple of the Kaplan workbooks. They don't have practice exams, but they have several quizzes that are 10-16 questions. These questions are a ton more difficult than the questions I've been finding on the internet.

Kaplan questions are a little more difficult than real life. They tell you this in the class, and maybe in the book i'm not sure. But it is part of their strategy so that you study more and do better in real life. Even though the Qs are harder, they are still what you'd find in the normal exam so it is not like you are learning something worthless. You also have to learn the "basics" before completing the hard questions in a fast amount of time so you are also preparing for the first easier Qs in the beginning of the test.
I made sure I knew how to do every single problem in the Kaplan quantitative section in a decent amount of time, it definitely worked for me and I ended up scoring 60 points higher on the real life quantitative
 
If you are looking for a free practice test you can check out this website: www.kaptest.com/practice Just click on GRE and put in your zipcode to see if there is a location near you. I did it and even though it is paper based it still gave me good practice. It was in a local community college classroom on a Saturday. As others have stated, Kaplan tends to be harder; I scored better on the actual test than I did on the practice tests. In this case, they probably want you to see your score and take their class. Another reason I really liked the results was because it didn't just say an answer was "A", it explained why it was A and told you how you should have approached the problem to narrow down and figure it out. I believe it did this for the entire test, not just the ones you missed, so if you made a lucky guess, you can still see the right process.
 
If you are looking for a free practice test you can check out this website: www.kaptest.com/practice Just click on GRE and put in your zipcode to see if there is a location near you. I did it and even though it is paper based it still gave me good practice. It was in a local community college classroom on a Saturday. As others have stated, Kaplan tends to be harder; I scored better on the actual test than I did on the practice tests. In this case, they probably want you to see your score and take their class. Another reason I really liked the results was because it didn't just say an answer was "A", it explained why it was A and told you how you should have approached the problem to narrow down and figure it out. I believe it did this for the entire test, not just the ones you missed, so if you made a lucky guess, you can still see the right process.

I also did this. It was really nice even though I thought it would be on the computer haha I was happy with the feedback that I got. You wait about 10 minutes after the test and they give you the feedback before you leave! It had the breakdown of everything, similar to what you got back when you took the SAT. It told me which categories of each section I did well on, the percent right/wrong. Which subjects I need to work on.... It was a nice start. This was my first practice GRE and I took it "blind" to see what my base score would be. It was hard to suck it up and take it blind because i knew i wouldnt do well and id be embarrassed if the kaplan teachers saw, but honestly it was the best way for me to start. i didnt waste time working on things i was already good at and it told me where to focus. Ironically this was the only test i scored better in verbal than on quantitative, things took a sharp turn after that haha
 
It was a nice start. This was my first practice GRE and I took it "blind" to see what my base score would be. It was hard to suck it up and take it blind because i knew i wouldnt do well and id be embarrassed if the kaplan teachers saw, but honestly it was the best way for me to start. i didnt waste time working on things i was already good at and it told me where to focus.

Yeah, that is exactly what I did too. I took the test and decided that since I did ok, I was just going to get some books and take the actual test once and go from there before taking a class. I had enough time to take a class and retake the test if I did not do well. I agree that it was very good at showing you where to focus your studies.
 
Last edited:
Kaplan questions are a little more difficult than real life. They tell you this in the class, and maybe in the book i'm not sure. But it is part of their strategy so that you study more and do better in real life.

I've also been doing practice exams with Kaplan materials. so are you saying that it's likely to score a slighter higher score on the real GRE than on the Kaplan practice exams?
 
you guys make me look like a GRE slacker. I waited until the last minute to take the test and I "studied" for about a week. 😛
 
I've also been doing practice exams with Kaplan materials. so are you saying that it's likely to score a slighter higher score on the real GRE than on the Kaplan practice exams?

well there is no guarantee, from the people who i have talked to it seems to be the case. and when i took the class the instructor did say they try to make their tests harder so people do better on the real thing. but it really depends. my verbal score dropped a lot (this was mostly due to stupid timing issues on my part and a major freak out lol) so im not sure what my real verbal would have been.
 
I am taking my GRE in a couple of weeks!!! Really nervous!!! I am really bad on verbal!
For comprehension, what I do is I write down a couple of points saying what each paragraph is about. Then I'll just look back to my notes and answer most of the questions. I know it takes a little more time to write down the key points for each paragraph, but it'll pay off when answering question. Try it sometime! 🙂

How does one study for the antonym part? i am so bad at vocabulary........English isn't my first language and I am extremely bad at memorizing..

Unfortunately, there really isn't a trick to the antonym part. Just crack down and memorize as much vocab as you can. I try to look for prefixes/suffixes related to other words (pre-, pro-, etc) but that's usually when I have no clue what I'm looking for 😛
 
Thanks for the advice, everyone!

I really with there is a prep course that is offered near me 🙁

I find studying for the math pretty fun. I love doing the problems in my workbook. When it comes to the verbal, I have a very hard time sitting down and memorizing word after word after word. Receiving word of the day emails are pretty helpful and so is writing down words that I don't know the meaning of and looking it up.

I started studying the middle of June... but I don't get a chance to crack the book open every single day like Kaplan suggests. After my vacation, I have a week or so to cram. If I somehow can't raise my pre-req average for vet school, the GRE exam is going to determine if I'm going to get an interview, so I have to do well!
 
I find it easiest to skip right to the questions. I read the question, then look for the answer in the passage. I absolutely suck at retaining what I read, but I still managed a 770 SAT verbal, 30 (perfect) ACT reading, and 650 GRE verbal using this strategy.

This is exactly what I did, due to having the same limitation with retaining things, with similar results.