Suggestions for Extracurriculars (Gap Year)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redrover44

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently taking a gap year (or two) and applying to medical school in June 2017 for admission in the Fall of 2018. I am a full-time researcher at a top 5 medical university and am looking to supplement my extracurriculars. I have a 3.95 cGPA and 3.996 sGPA and a 517 MCAT (130, 129, 130, 128). I described my current application state in the following thread:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...-517-mcat-chances-2018-cycle-weak-ec.1225507/

I'm currently trying to get involved at the Boys and Girls Club and also tutor. I shadow a doctor once a week and will continue this for a few more weeks, and later on I'll try to shadow a few other specialities. If you could give me your thoughts about other possible ideas for me, and also possibly comment on my application status right now, I'd really appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going to be blunt, but why in the hell do you intend to take 2 years off with that kind of a resumé? If you get involved in some volunteerships (that you actually enjoy and don't just do to check the boxes) and get some clinical experience, you will dominate the interview invite game.

I'm going to be blunt, but why in the hell do you intend to take 2 years off with that kind of a resumé? If you get involved in some volunteerships (that you actually enjoy and don't just do to check the boxes) and get some clinical experience, you will dominate the interview invite game.
I graduated in the Spring of 2016 and studied over the summer and took my MCAT in September and didn't want to apply if my scores weren't up to par. Hence why I'm applying Spring of 2017. And what kind of clinical experience would you suggest?

Members don't see this ad :)
I graduated in the Spring of 2016 and studied over the summer and took my MCAT in September and didn't want to apply if my scores weren't up to par. Hence why I'm applying Spring of 2017. And what kind of clinical experience would you suggest?
Ok that is fine. I misinterpreted your OP after a quick glance over and thought you intended to take 2 gap years, not just one.

I don't know what type of doctor you want to be (academia vs research vs clinician), but if you want to be a regular doctor who sees patients in a clinic and are looking for a short term career change, consider being a medical scribe. I'm currently one now and I believe I have learned so much about how a hospital clinic works in terms of logistics, flow, etc. Also, I feel like I'll be able to write killer SOAP notes and be one step ahead in the clinical aspect of my training compared to non-scribe med students. Though I'm kind of want to eat my own words right now because you already have a killer job.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm currently taking a gap year (or two) and applying to medical school in June 2017 for admission in the Fall of 2018. I am a full-time researcher at a top 5 medical university and am looking to supplement my extracurriculars. I have a 3.95 cGPA and 3.996 sGPA and a 517 MCAT (130, 129, 130, 128). I described my current application state in the following thread:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...-517-mcat-chances-2018-cycle-weak-ec.1225507/

I'm currently trying to get involved at the Boys and Girls Club and also tutor. I shadow a doctor once a week and will continue this for a few more weeks, and later on I'll try to shadow a few other specialities. If you could give me your thoughts about other possible ideas for me, and also possibly comment on my application status right now, I'd really appreciate it!
OP, You have excellent stats you can apply to any school in the country and have a decent shot. That being said your MCAT has an expiration date, I would suggest not letting it expire prior to application. That being said, show commitment to one cause or two that would set you apart and check the box for the rest of the stuff.

I don't know what type of doctor you want to be (academia vs research vs clinician), but if you want to be a regular doctor who sees patients in a clinic and are looking for a short term career change, consider being a medical scribe. I'm currently one now and I believe I have learned so much about how a hospital clinic works in terms of logistics, flow, etc. Also, I feel like I'll be able to write killer SOAP notes and be one step ahead in the clinical aspect of my training compared to non-scribe med students. Though I'm kind of want to eat my own words right now because you already have a killer job.
Yeah I'm undecided about MD/PhD but that's a topic for a different thread. Definitely want to incorporate research, whether it be clinical or basic science research. And how long is the training? Can you do it part time? I work a basic 9-5 M-F doing research and am looking for things to supplement in the evening and on weekends.

OP, You have excellent stats you can apply to any school in the country and have a decent shot. That being said your MCAT has an expiration date, I would suggest not letting it expire prior to application. That being said, show commitment to one cause or two that would set you apart and check the box for the rest of the stuff.
Yeah I plan on applying in the next cycle so my MCAT should be good. I know my numbers are solid, just feel like my ECs don't stand out too much since I wasn't big into clubs during undergrad. Hence why I'm trying to pick up the slack a bit now that I don't have an academic burden.

Yeah I plan on applying in the next cycle so my MCAT should be good. I know my numbers are solid, just feel like my ECs don't stand out too much since I wasn't big into clubs during undergrad. Hence why I'm trying to pick up the slack a bit now that I don't have an academic burden.
Maybe a year commitment to AmeriCorps or peace core or something ?

Your stats look good!

Now, you would like to supplement your ECs and you have stated that you do not have "non-clinical" volunteering experience. With that in mind, I am taking into consideration the fact that you have a full-time research job - so your time is very limited during the regular M-F week (9 AM - 5 PM).

Fortunately, there are many non-clinical organizations that are receptive to part-time, evening or weekend volunteers.

For instance:

1. Meals on Wheels (weekends). Community volunteers deliver meals to homes of seniors and individuals with disabilities; and provide social connections to help these individuals continue to live independently in their own homes.

2. Homeless Shelters or Soup Kitchens in your community (weekends).

3. County and City Parks and Local Recreation Areas (weekends). Community volunteers provide services to local parks, recreational areas and local wilderness areas. Some of the volunteer activities include conservation and management, building trails, leading interpretative hikes, patroling park trails, facility maintenance, etc.

4. If you like kittens, cats, puppies and dogs, many Animal Rescue Groups offer weekend (and occasionally evening) volunteer opportunities. The volunteers schedule their own flexible hours. My local animal rescue group has 2 volunteers who are EM physicians: both of them live in the area and enjoy spending about 5 hours per month with the cats and dogs. They schedule their own volunteer hours, based on their respective EM schedules and availability.

5. If you live near a Wilderness Area, Wilderness Sanctuary, Marine Habitat or a National Park, you can apply for volunteer positions at these venues. Many wilderness areas or coastal habitats welcome student volunteers, on weekends and in the summertime. Some students become voluntary student rangers and spend a lot of time outdoors, or giving tours to kids, or checking hiking trails, or whatever.

6. Habitat for Humanity (weekends). Help build homes and become a weekend crew leader.

7. Food Banks/Pantries (weekends).

8. Animal Shelters/Humane Society (weekends) also welcome part-time volunteers. If you live in a city or a town, an animal shelter is probably located near you that would welcome you as a weekend volunteer.

9. Youth Team Sports or Youth Team Coaching (weekends). Community volunteers provide team sports coaching, leadership and mentoring in a variety of youth sports, such as basketball, soccer, swimming, tennis, baseball, etc.

Thank you.

Reactions: 4 users
Your stats look good!

Now, you would like to supplement your ECs and you have stated that you do not have "non-clinical" volunteering experience. With that in mind, I am taking into consideration the fact that you have a full-time research job - so your time is very limited during the regular M-F week (9 AM - 5 PM).

Fortunately, there are many non-clinical organizations that are receptive to part-time, evening or weekend volunteers.

For instance:

1. Meals on Wheels (weekends). Community volunteers deliver meals to homes of seniors and individuals with disabilities; and provide social connections to help these individuals continue to live independently in their own homes.

2. Homeless Shelters or Soup Kitchens in your community (weekends).

3. County and City Parks and Local Recreation Areas (weekends). Community volunteers provide services to local parks, recreational areas and local wilderness areas. Some of the volunteer activities include conservation and management, building trails, leading interpretative hikes, patroling park trails, facility maintenance, etc.

4. If you like kittens, cats, puppies and dogs, many Animal Rescue Groups offer weekend (and occasionally evening) volunteer opportunities. The volunteers schedule their own flexible hours. My local animal rescue group has 2 volunteers who are EM physicians: both of them live in the area and enjoy spending about 5 hours per month with the cats and dogs. They schedule their own volunteer hours, based on their respective EM schedules and availability.

5. If you live near a Wilderness Area, Wilderness Sanctuary, Marine Habitat or a National Park, you can apply for volunteer positions at these venues. Many wilderness areas or coastal habitats welcome student volunteers, on weekends and in the summertime. Some students become voluntary student rangers and spend a lot of time outdoors, or giving tours to kids, or checking hiking trails, or whatever.

6. Habitat for Humanity (weekends). Help build homes and become a weekend crew leader.

7. Food Banks/Pantries (weekends).

8. Animal Shelters/Humane Society (weekends) also welcome part-time volunteers. If you live in a city or a town, an animal shelter is probably located near you that would welcome you as a weekend volunteer.

9. Youth Team Sports or Youth Team Coaching (weekends). Community volunteers provide team sports coaching and mentoring in a variety of youth sports, such as basketball, soccer, swimming, tennis, baseball, etc.

Thank you.
Thanks so much for your great feedback! I'll definitely look into these options.