Summer Research Acceptance Thread (REU, SURF, SURP, SIP, etc.) 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just spoke with someone @ Yale Biostep. Said that if no phone call was received yesterday and no email is received by today, then you have been put on the waitlist or just been rejected.

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone who applied to EPFL also apply to the UNIL Summer Program?

I don't think it is like this for all the schools because there have been places where people have gotten accepted, but not immediately paired with a PI.

Yeah this is true, but I still think a PI has to be OK with taking in a certain student. To some extent they have to have a say in who will be working for them. At least I would think so. Maybe not though.

Members don't see this ad :)
did anyone apply to the systems biology biology program at Harvard? have you heard back?

I dont now if any of you applied to the Columbia NYSTEM program but I was told they have 70 -79 spots. Is that possible? That sounds like a HUGE program...how badly do you think the size would affect the quality/depth/importance of the research conducted by students?

Does anyone know how the interviews go for the Cornell Traveler's Summer Fellowship? What kinds of questions do they ask? Are they phone or in-person interviews, etc?
Also, waitlisted at NYU SURP, anyone know the odds of gaining acceptance after this? Thanks!

Heyyy anyone still looking for more to apply to: http://www.cns.nyu.edu/undergrad/surp/ It's neuroscience research if that's up your alley :) Hope this helps anyone!

that looks great. Looks like it requires that you have taken at least one neuroscience course as well.

What other programs are still accepting applicants? I think quite a few of us haven't received any offers yet, and could be left doing nothing this summer.

did anyone apply to the systems biology biology program at Harvard? have you heard back?

I applied there and have not received anything from them. I've already accepted another position, but was curious as to why they never bothered to respond.

If anyone is going to Vandy this summer, message me! I'd like to get to know some of you guys. :)

any response from princeton molecular bio reu? the site said they'd be out (both rejections + acceptances) 3/11, but i haven't gotten anything?

i have to respond to UTMB/Galveston by 3/14 so any info. on pton would be greatly appreciated!

and, for NYU SURP, i have until 3/21 to respond and will probably deny--so one free spot =)

Sharpies - Yes, I'm graduating. I asked them before I applied if this was ok.
regularbobj - Top 25, more like.

any response from princeton molecular bio reu? the site said they'd be out (both rejections + acceptances) 3/11, but i haven't gotten anything?

i have to respond to UTMB/Galveston by 3/14 so any info. on pton would be greatly appreciated!

and, for NYU SURP, i have until 3/21 to respond and will probably deny--so one free spot =)

I'm on the waitlist for NYU SURP!! Ahh! Which specialty did you choose for research? I think that is how they choose people off the waitlist :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm on the waitlist for NYU SURP!! Ahh! Which specialty did you choose for research? I think that is how they choose people off the waitlist :)

developmental genetics. did two semesters on d. melanogaster oogenesis and embryogenesis and some work on sex determination in c. elegans...those were my two LORs so i think i may have been lucky in the selection process =)

developmental genetics. did two semesters on d. melanogaster oogenesis and embryogenesis and some work on sex determination in c. elegans...those were my two LORs so i think i may have been lucky in the selection process =)

Oh, thats cool. I didn't request developmental genetics but hopefully I can get in somehow. If you decline someone who wants that spot will definitely get it!

Just spoke with someone @ Yale Biostep. Said that if no phone call was received yesterday and no email is received by today, then you have been put on the waitlist or just been rejected.

Totes true statement. I got my acceptance to Yale BioSTEP today through email. Apparently it was extremely (underlined, bolded and italicized in email) competitive. This is the only program I really wanted so I'm satisfied.

But to put that in context:
Rejected from Sloan Kettering like two weeks before the notification deadline (thanks guys!) Twice in a row too :(
Rejected from Johns Hopkins (was wait-listed last year)

Haven't heard from:
My home institution's Amgen/SURF
Cornell Traveler's Program
Stanford SSRP
NIH, but my last recommender just turned in her letter last Tuesday

Has anyone heard back from Case Western SPUR?

Anybody else going to be doing Amgen at CU???

I dont now if any of you applied to the Columbia NYSTEM program but I was told they have 70 -79 spots. Is that possible? That sounds like a HUGE program...how badly do you think the size would affect the quality/depth/importance of the research conducted by students?

can i ask where you heard this? i was looking at the old list of participants and there were only 8 of them

Anymore programs still accepting apps im dry?

WUSTL (Center for aging), NYU-CNS, and OHSU (for economically disadvantaged/racial minority students). I just found out I don't have to re-take physics in summer (transfer credit was re-evaluated), so I'm scrambling to get those apps in that I mentioned. The WUSTL one is due very soon though, but the other two would give you more time to complete the app.

Anymore programs still accepting apps im dry?

Yeah, but the deadline is basically tomorrow or the day after that:

1. City of Hope Summer Student Academy in Socal (March 15th)
2. Fox Chase Cancer Center (April 1st)
3. Umass Summer Research Fellowship (March 14th)

Good luck...!

Well my school end around may so I must have more time on my hands.
But I applied to over 15 places and still no word back :confused:

same here applied to 14 rejected to 4. 1 silent rejection (stanford AMgen) and the rest haven't heard back from yet.. i hate waiting

I received an acceptance from Princeton on Friday. Still waiting to hear back from Columbia but I'll probably accept Princeton's.

Did anyone get accepted to Stanford Amgen?

Last edited:
can i ask where you heard this? i was looking at the old list of participants and there were only 8 of them

That makes alot more sense. The woman I spoke with had an accent. I was surprised and asked again 70-79?!? but 7-9 sounds right.

Pissseddd!!!!!!!

Sorry to hear that. I also had a couple of my applications nullified because some recs were not sent or were sent late. Johns Hopkins sent a rather unsympathetic email to the tune of: "Your application to the Summer Internship Program is not complete and will not be reviewed...Please do not reply to this message with reasons why your application is not complete. We received over 1,300 applications and over 900 are complete..." !

1. Northwestern CURE Program- Rejected -Called 3/14/2011
2.Behavioral Research Advancements in Neuroscience (BRAIN) -Decisions sent this week- Called 3/14/2011

So the BRAIN program has not sent decisions yet?

I'm know it's probably already been said, but does anyone know of any programs specifically intended for students without prior research?

asdf

Last edited:
Ok so these are the programs that I have already heard from:

MIT MRSP: Acceptance
Baylor SMART: Acceptance
Johns Hopkins SURF: Acceptance
UT Southwester: Acceptance
Max Planck Institute of Immunobiology: Acceptance

NYU SURF: Rejection
Wash U Biomed RAP: Rejection
Gerstner Sloan Ketering: Rejection
Cold Spring Harbor SURF: Rejection

Duke SURF: Waiting
Rockefeller: Waiting
Vanderbilt: Waiting
Harvard Immunology Program: Waiting
Medical College of Georgia: Waiting
Mount Sinai: Waiting

I am not sure which one I should accept. I am leaning towards Max Planck Institute but I find it hard to reject both MIT and Johns Hopkins. Any suggestions, keeping in mind I would like to go to grad school for Immunology.

Ok so these are the programs that I have already heard from:

MIT MRSP: Acceptance
Baylor SMART: Acceptance
Johns Hopkins SURF: Acceptance
UT Southwester: Acceptance
Max Planck Institute of Immunobiology: Acceptance

NYU SURF: Rejection
Wash U Biomed RAP: Rejection
Gerstner Sloan Ketering: Rejection
Cold Spring Harbor SURF: Rejection

Duke SURF: Waiting
Rockefeller: Waiting
Vanderbilt: Waiting
Harvard Immunology Program: Waiting
Medical College of Georgia: Waiting
Mount Sinai: Waiting

I am not sure which one I should accept. I am leaning towards Max Planck Institute but I find it hard to reject both MIT and Johns Hopkins. Any suggestions, keeping in mind I would like to go to grad school for Immunology.

nicee

My D, a senior high is interested in doing Medicine and has been accepted into NIH summer research program and alloted to Pharmacological studies (a study to investigate effects of systemic injections of a drug of abuse (alcohol, cannabis, phencyclidine or pentobarbital)) at Johns Hopkins Bayview Campus.

I will appreciate if you give some input how about this program and how this is going to be helpful for her in getting admission into a medical college.

I got into HST Summer Institute for biooptics.

I'm waiting on CU Amgen and NIH SIP, but I have to respond to HST by this Friday. Does anyone know the relative selectivities/qualities of these programs and if it's worth the effort to ask for an extension from HST?

Hi! I was just wondering if anyone applied to these following programs and heard from them yet: UW Amgen, Cornell Univ, and Tufts. I also applied to Harvard SHURP and got on the waitlist. I'm keeping my fingers cross that something will come up especially after being rejected from UCSF and NYU.