Summer Research Acceptance Thread (REU, SURF, SURP, SIP, etc.) 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have a feeling CU is done because they just sent out a detailed message about arranging flight plans and our plans need to be in soon (w/in a couple weeks for sure). UCSD does silent rejections, I know that for sure.

I never understood silent rejections. Is it really so hard to have the courtesy to notify rejected applicants? It would save me (as well as others) many days of needless worrying.

Members don't see this ad.

I never understood silent rejections. Is it really so hard to have the courtesy to notify rejected applicants? It would save me (as well as others) many days of needless worrying.

I agree completely. Especially since we spent quite a few hours on the application. It wouldn't even take long to send a mass rejection email either. Silent rejections are the worst. I believe I have quite a few of them, but I think there's several programs that I just haven't heard from yet. Like UCB Amgen for instance: they said I was on the 3rd wave of acceptances, so this is why I haven't heard. So you may want to contact the particular school and see whatsup.

I agree completely. Especially since we spent quite a few hours on the application. It wouldn't even take long to send a mass rejection email either. Silent rejections are the worst. I believe I have quite a few of them, but I think there's several programs that I just haven't heard from yet. Like UCB Amgen for instance: they said I was on the 3rd wave of acceptances, so this is why I haven't heard. So you may want to contact the particular school and see whatsup.

i think we might still have a chance for ucsd cuz it says mid to late march, so we still have some time. Nobody posted they got in, so thats always a good sign.

Members don't see this ad :)
i think we might still have a chance for ucsd cuz it says mid to late march, so we still have some time. Nobody posted they got in, so thats always a good sign.

Last edited:
So have people generally been getting a lot of acceptances/rejections this week? I was expecting to receive decisions from all of the programs that said they'd be informing applicants in mid-March, but nothing yet.
Yeah, the only thing I heard this week was from a PI at UMich wanting to interview me to work in his lab for the Mol. and Int. Phys. program there. I've yet to hear from about 5 programs.

You guys could just call to see what's up...

Anyways, has anyone heard anything from Mt. Sinai today? It seems like they're rushing to determine who to pick and who to reject because I called both directors today, but neither picked up.

Hey Drxtreme I was accepted yesterday by email. I honestly have no idea where they are with spaces available but what I can tell you is that I had until Friday to submit my official agreement to participate. I would assume if there are spaces available the acceptances will likely go out early next week. Best of luck I hope you will be joining us!

Hey Mr. Lowkey. Thanks for replying. I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best. :xf:

You guys could just call to see what's up...

Anyways, has anyone heard anything from Mt. Sinai today? It seems like they're rushing to determine who to pick and who to reject because I called both directors today, but neither picked up.

Are you planning to call again today? //Did you already call? Any updates would be great =)!

Recieved my official acceptance from my home REU yesterday. Nothing special or anything though. I already know I had since I had my own funding. Good luck to everyone else! :)

INTERNATIONAL INSTITUTE FOR NANOTECHNOLOGY
Northwestern University

Dear ________:

On behalf of the Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) Program Director, Professor ___________, congratulations!

After a thorough evaluation of your application materials, I am pleased to inform you that you have been selected to participate in the 2011 REU Program at Northwestern University.

Finally heard back from someone lol!

Accepted to Behavioral Research Advancements In Neuroscience (BRAIN) today!

Just was contacted by a PI for Mayo SURF asking me if I was still interested. I replied with a "No thanks". So there are still positions available at Mayo if anyone is interested.

BTW: This was from a physician in nephrology/immunology.. Not even close to what I put as my choices on the app, but I guess this is where my profile/application landed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also just got a rejection letter from UCB. As I mentioned in my previous posts, they said I was an alternate but they didn't have enough positions for all the alternates (obviously). Oddly, they went on to say that they are eager to recruit me to their graduate programs. Anyways, that's another rejection here.

Rejected from UCB Amgen (I was an alternate)
Accepted to UCSD Amgen (previously waitlisted)

However, I already sent my acceptance to UW Amgen, too bad UCSD!

Rejected from UCB Amgen (I was an alternate)
Accepted to UCSD Amgen (previously waitlisted)

However, I already sent my acceptance to UW Amgen, too bad UCSD!

howd they tell you for ucsd? email?

is any one here going to Harvard for the summer? what is boston/cambridge like? I am going for summer research in systems biology, so I was wondering if anyone has like any idea on what summer there is like? what house will the students be housed in?

Yep. I just sent my decline. Are you waitlisted there? They said I was ~5th on the wait list. Hope that helps.

thanks but i didnt get any email so im guessing thats a silent rejection :(

yup, guess that's another rejection for me too...
:xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf:

Anyone heard back from Case Western SPUR or Cincy yet?

Hey everyone!

Like all of you, I'm getting super antsy. I was specifically wondering about Mt. Sinai.... and if anyone would be willing to call them tomorrow to see what's up. (If no decision comes tomorrow that is) I would do it myself, but I'm in class from 8-5, and live on the west coast... so I don't really have any time to call.

Hey everyone!

Like all of you, I'm getting super antsy. I was specifically wondering about Mt. Sinai.... and if anyone would be willing to call them tomorrow to see what's up. (If no decision comes tomorrow that is) I would do it myself, but I'm in class from 8-5, and live on the west coast... so I don't really have any time to call.

They started sending our rejections already, got mine via email last week. Good luck though.

Yeah I have a few acceptances that I need to get back to !!

Hopefully Mt. Sinai works out :xf:..I will be calling them tomorrow..I will let you know

Yeah I have a few acceptances that I need to get back to !!

Hopefully Mt. Sinai works out :xf:..I will be calling them tomorrow..I will let you know

Thanks! I appreciate it.

Yeah, I recall your post genefreak. I however never got a rejection... so, I don't know what that really means.

I already called Mt Sinai. Apparently, they're sending rejections in batches... On another note, why would you send rejections in batches? Acceptances make sense, but rejections?

Called both Rockefeller and CU AMGEN this morning, and they both made it sound like decisions will still be going out this week either way? I don't want to have false hope...

Just out of curiosity - Has anybody gotten a REJECTION from CU AMGEN? All I've heard of were acceptances on this thread. I just don't want to be hopeful and then in the end - I just haven't heard because it's a rejection.

I know last year I got a rejection email late in the game - in April - so I don't really know what to think...

I already called Mt Sinai. Apparently, they're sending rejections in batches... On another note, why would you send rejections in batches? Acceptances make sense, but rejections?

Huh, that is so weird. Did they say when they would actually be sending acceptances though?

Yeah called Mt. Sinai, you should be receiving an email from them soon.

There are only 13 positions though :(

Hello all - i applied to a whole lot of programs and have pretty much received rejection emails or no word from them. My last hope is UNIL - has anyone heard from them.

Thanks

anybody call UCSD Amgen? I know one person on here got accepted, but did anybody hear back if they were rejected?

Dear Applicant,

Thank you for your interest in the NSF Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) program in Regenerative Medicine, Multi-Scale Bioengineering, and Systems Biology at the University of California, San Diego. Unfortunately we are not able to offer you a position in the program this summer. We received over 400 applications for ten positions so, unfortunately, we could not accommodate many highly qualified applicants. Thank you for taking the time to apply and please consider re-applying next year.

Best wishes, Melissa

Last edited:
Dear [],

Thank you for your inquiry. The Committee has released offers, and is awaiting responses from those students. It is possible that additional offers will be released, but only if those students reject their offers. We hope to complete this process by the end of March, at which time we will notify all applicants that the positions have been filled.

I hope this information helps you with your decision. Best of luck to you this summer!

Kindest regards,

Shana

For those of you who got accepted into Mt. Sinai, do you know where the housing will be? Thanks.

called ucsd amgen, but they dont answer their phone calls. they also dont have their voicemail setup...

Dear Applicant,

I am writing to inform you of the selection process and decisions made in regards to the applications to the 2011 REU Program in Molecular and Cellular Bioengineering at the University of Maryland and U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

As in past years, the REU Program was exceptionally popular, receiving over 250 applications for 10 spots. The applications were quite strong and represented a wide range of well qualified undergraduates.

The selection committee, consisting of 6 faculty members and researchers from both the University of Maryland and U.S. Food and Drug Administration, met last week after individually reviewing all applications. Those applications which were favorably received by the selection committee were then recommended for admission to the REU program.

I regret to inform you that your application was not selected.

I hope you will consider applying again to the REU Program in Molecular and Cellular Bioengineering, as long as you remain eligible. I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

Best regards,

i think i'm just going to start personally emailing professors that i'd want to work with or something.

might as well change my name to r3jection :shrug:

OMG!! I just got accepted into the Johns Hopkins Pulmonary and Critical Care program!!!!!!! Super excited! :) :)

Good luck to everyone else waiting to hear from their programs! The wait was/is never fun...but don't give up just yet....:xf:

Hey all:

Just got accepted into UCSD Amgen, but it's too late. Damn! I may have chosen that over CU Amgen. Oh well.. I hope one of you gets my spot!

Hey all:

Just got accepted into UCSD Amgen, but it's too late. Damn! I may have chosen that over CU Amgen. Oh well.. I hope one of you gets my spot!

Nice! Can't go wrong with CU though.

Nice! Can't go wrong with CU though.

No doubt! I'm pumped for CU. UCSD would have been nice, though. Regardless I am just happy I got into an Amgen program. I'll still be seeing you in July!

Hey all:

did they email you? and did they mention how long they will be sending acceptances out until

did they email you? and did they mention how long they will be sending acceptances out until

They did send via email, yes. They didn't mention how long though. My window for accepting/declining was one day though. They're definitely trying to move this along as quickly as possible. All they said was it was super competitive and there were many applicants.

For those who did not get accepted ! Dont get upset these programs are ridiculously competitive and your rejection in noway means you did not have a great application just that when you have a bunch of perfect candidates you have to reject a lot...!

I did get a few acceptances (but I had a fairly strong application...atleast I thought so) but a fair number of rejections

For next year this is the advice I would give you from this years experience

- Apply to many programs (yes even if you have a 4.0 and multiple publications)
- Spend time on each app and make sure you project in your app what you want the adcom to see
- Start early and get those recs/apps in !
- Apply to a broad range of programs dont just apply to the most competitive programs but also lesser known programs (You can do great research even at a school that is not ranked 1)

Hope this helps !

Dear STARS Applicant:

We want to thank you for your interest in the University of California, San Diego Summer Training Academy for Research in the Sciences (STARS).

We regret to inform you that we are unable to offer you a STARS internship for 2011. Applications are carefully reviewed to find the best match of student/research interest and appropriate faculty availability. We received many applications from a large pool of diverse and talented students like you, however, we are limited by program funding and availability of appropriate faculty mentor matches.

We appreciate the time you spent to complete and submit your application and hope you will consider STARS for future summer research internships and the University of California San Diego graduate programs as you pursue your academic goals. We wish you a successful career in the sciences and best of luck on your future academic endeavors.

Sincerely,

UCSD STARS Review Committee

--------------------------
I knew I was gonna get rejected o well 10+ more program to hear from and finishing up 5 more apps today :thumbup::cool:

can you list the programs you're applying to? one that i know is still open is http://www.cancer.med.umich.edu/professionals/summer_internship.shtml