Summer Research Application and Acceptance Thread (REU, SURF, SURP, SIP, AMGEN etc.) 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just got an email from MD Anderson saying that my application was under review and that I would hear back by Friday whether or not it gets selected to additional review.
?What program did you apply to and when did you complete the application?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

For those interested, these are the programs I have applied to/have gotten updates from:

1. Mayo SURF: I called today, offers have been going out on a rolling basis, offers should be out by the end of the week. I'm guessing they will email those rejected as well? I'm not totally sure because some programs do notify those rejected and some programs don't.

2. UC Berkeley AMGEN: I haven't yet contacted them about the application, but on their website it says that notifications have started going out 2/28/2014. So I have no clue.

3. WashU AMGEN: what everyone prior has said before

4. MIT AMGEN: I'm pretty sure I was like the first person rejected because I got my notification super early (2/28/2014). But it wasn't a surprise haha. Also, I think that somebody asked if anybody contacted a program asking why they got rejected? I did do that for MIT, and this is what they said:
"Thank you for writing.

The fact that you were not chosen for the program is not necessarily due to a specific weakness with your application. The challenge for us (as well as the other Amgen Scholars institutions) is choosing among over one thousand strong applications (like yours) for so few spaces. We understand that these decisions disappoint many people.

Your application was a strong one. However, if you are interested in getting general advice on application preparation, I would suggest contacting career counseling and admissions areas at Vanderbilt. The very nature of their work usually makes them the best people to counsel on preparation and refinement of application essays, resumes, etc. That is the advice we typically provide to students here at MIT.

Best wishes for the summer."
-->
So not really anything concrete for me to work on, but it was worth a shot!

5. Vanderbilt NSF REU in chemical biology: It says that selections were made March 1, 2014, but I haven't heard back from them. I'm assuming that's a no, especially because I turned in the application super late.. whoops...

6. Rice NSF REU: I don't think that they will contact anyone prior to 8 weeks after the due date (Feb. 7, 2014).

7. UNC NSF REU: I think this is rolling, and they also don't contact people if you were rejected.

Has anyone heard back from the AMGENs or the other REUs (esp. Vandy)? (Which is kinda ridiculous because I actually go there, and I have no idea what is going on ....)

Best of luck guys!! Fingers crossed for everyone !!

(Also, I just super love this thread because everyone is soooo polite!!!)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

For those interested, these are the programs I have applied to/have gotten updates from:

1. Mayo SURF: I called today, offers have been going out on a rolling basis, offers should be out by the end of the week. I'm guessing they will email those rejected as well? I'm not totally sure because some programs do notify those rejected and some programs don't.

2. UC Berkeley AMGEN: I haven't yet contacted them about the application, but on their website it says that notifications have started going out 2/28/2014. So I have no clue.

4. MIT AMGEN: I'm pretty sure I was like the first person rejected because I got my notification super early (2/28/2014). But it wasn't a surprise haha. Also, I think that somebody asked if anybody contacted a program asking why they got rejected? I did do that for MIT, and this is what they said:
"Thank you for writing.

The fact that you were not chosen for the program is not necessarily due to a specific weakness with your application. The challenge for us (as well as the other Amgen Scholars institutions) is choosing among over one thousand strong applications (like yours) for so few spaces. We understand that these decisions disappoint many people.

Your application was a strong one. However, if you are interested in getting general advice on application preparation, I would suggest contacting career counseling and admissions areas at Vanderbilt. The very nature of their work usually makes them the best people to counsel on preparation and refinement of application essays, resumes, etc. That is the advice we typically provide to students here at MIT.

-->

5. Vanderbilt NSF REU in chemical biology: It says that selections were made March 1, 2014, but I haven't heard back from them. I'm assuming that's a no, especially because I turned in the application super late.. whoops...

6. Rice NSF REU: I don't think that they will contact anyone prior to 8 weeks after the due date (Feb. 7, 2014).

7. UNC NSF REU: I think this is rolling, and they also don't contact people if you were rejected.

Has anyone heard back from the AMGENs or the other REUs (esp. Vandy)? (Which is kinda ridiculous because I actually go there, and I have no idea what is going on ....)

I applied to the Vanderbilt Summer Science Academy but have not heard a word from them. I have tried to call and email but still have not gotten anything. Someone earlier said that Stanford should be announcing decisions this week. I received a rejection from UCB 2/28.

Hi everyone,

"Thank you for writing.

-->

Haven't heard from UC Berk amgen, but a user posted earlier that he/she was rejected and that user said that the UC Berk goes through their applications in stages so if you haven't been rejected yet that means your application may have made it past the initial stages.

Anyone gotten anything from Northwestern SROP? They were supposed to start making notifications March 1.

Nothing here. My application got sent to review a bit late though because of an issue with one of my references and the rec link. I called them many times over the course of that week and since I wasn't the only one with that issue, a lot of references sent letters over e-mail instead of the platform, and they were trying to get it all straightened out. They sounded pretty slammed.

Yeah, my PI definitely wants me to try for UCSF for my MSTP, but I would hate to give up good programs for this summer and then get rejected from all the AMGEN programs.
I received the following in the email from Wash U:
"I am writing to let you know that due to a large number of applications, we will begin to make offers on March 13. You are receiving this email because you have made it through the preliminary selection process, however, we are still reviewing your application."
They then ask that I let them know if I accepted another program's offer so they don't need to bother looking over my application further. Did you get the same one?

I applied to the Vanderbilt Summer Science Academy but have not heard a word from them. I have tried to call and email but still have not gotten anything. Someone earlier said that Stanford should be announcing decisions this week. I received a rejection from UCB 2/28.

I just tried to call the 2 phone numbers about the REU program at Vandy, and nobody picked up. Also, it's our spring break, so it is possible that all these people are on vacation ....

Best of luck on your other applications !!!!! :)

Haven't heard from UC Berk amgen, but a user posted earlier that he/she was rejected and that user said that the UC Berk goes through their applications in stages so if you haven't been rejected yet that means your application may have made it past the initial stages.

haha "initial stages" ... there's probably like 1749047883 more stages ...

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, my PI definitely wants me to try for UCSF for my MSTP, but I would hate to give up good programs for this summer and then get rejected from all the AMGEN programs.
"I am writing to let you know that due to a large number of applications, we will begin to make offers on March 13. You are receiving this email because you have made it through the preliminary selection process, however, we are still reviewing your application."
They then ask that I let them know if I accepted another program's offer so they don't need to bother looking over my application further. Did you get the same one?

Are you a CA resident? I'm just wondering, since I heard CA med schools are crazy hard to get into. And yeah I got that same email.

On UCB AMGEN you can log back into your application and look at the status.

Nope! Haha...haha...haha...Yeah, I know. That's why I would "try" for UCSF. Good news is that I have family there. Bad news is that I'm from the Midwest. I was thinking a SURF there would go a long way to helping me get in, but one never knows.

Last edited:
Did you hear about making it through the first round via the program director? I think everyone hears on the 13th nonetheless.

Also, for cancer research, I'd go to UCSF. But I'm a west coaster and have a bias :)
Wow another Chem and Philosophy dual degree student...I thought I was the only one ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
?What program did you apply to and when did you complete the application?

I applied for the Cancer Prevention Research Training Program and I was complete at the end of January.

My gpa isn't the highest, so I hope they look more at the essay/recs :)

I applied for the Cancer Prevention Research Training Program and I was complete at the end of January.

My gpa isn't the highest, so I hope they look more at the essay/recs :)
Thanks, I finished it the day before it was due (Feb. 27) and haven't heard anything. Wonder if they are reviewing people in large batches based on when they completed the application.

Thanks, I finished it the day before it was due (Feb. 27) and haven't heard anything. Wonder if they are reviewing people in large batches based on when they completed the application.

Do you know if they extended the deadline? I could've sworn it was February 15th when I applied. I might be getting it mixed up with some other programs I applied for though.

Hi everyone,

"Thank you for writing.

-->

For mayo SURF, from past sdn threads, rejections are posted on the application website as "application closed with no offer". As for UCB Amgens, they said that they send out rejections first and the later you hear back, the farther your application got for review :)

My application status is still the same "submitted" but no rejection...yet.

Hmm, if it's the same as last year, they'll probably send you an email with a letter attached to it if you get rejected. *knows from personal experience*

Naw, I didn't. Good luck though! Sounds like you're in good shape.

When did they contact you? Should I be worried I haven't heard anything back yet?
I emailed them last week. They said all applications would be reviewed last weekend and decision would be released early this week. Maybe they sent rejs&wls first and ur offer is on the way lol

Anyone doing a research program the summer before their senior year/summer of application cycle?

Also, how would you are rank these programs: Baylor SMART, UT-Sourthwestern SURF, Amgen?

I emailed them last week. They said all applications would be reviewed last weekend and decision would be released early this week. Maybe they sent rejs&wls first and ur offer is on the way lol
Thanks! I hope I hear back soon

Anyone doing a research program the summer before their senior year/summer of application cycle?

Also, how would you are rank these programs: Baylor SMART, UT-Sourthwestern SURF, Amgen?

I knew people that did last year. They just had a lot to do on the weekends.

I wouldn't be concerned too much about rankings. Each lab at each university is different. Sure, some programs draw more applicants than others but even getting into a program is an incredible addition to your resume. I would pick based on your interests, if you're fortunate enough to get into multiple. Sorry that I can't help too much on that and good luck!

I am doing NYU SURP this summer which is the summer I begin to apply

I knew people that did last year. They just had a lot to do on the weekends.

I wouldn't be concerned too much about rankings. Each lab at each university is different. Sure, some programs draw more applicants than others but even getting into a program is an incredible addition to your resume. I would pick based on your interests, if you're fortunate enough to get into multiple. Sorry that I can't help too much on that and good luck!

Okay, cool. I'm a bit concerned about how feasible it is to work on secondaries, go to the various seminars to get the most out of the experience, and also have some down time when outside of lab to soak in the city a bit and hang out with other students. I don't want to end up turning in poor secondaries because of not having much time to work on them.

How do these programs pair you up into a lab? Is there a way to get placed in a lab that publishes a lot?

Also, I worked on Agmen program applications considering MD/PhD late last semester, but now I'm almost positive I'll be applying solely-MD. Agmen are typically regarded as the most competitive programs, so I would be interested in doing it for the opportunity and the prestige aspect of it, but how would strictly MD programs view my participation the summer of my application cycle since it's geared for MD/PhD and PhD (more so PhD)?

Thanks!

Hmm, if it's the same as last year, they'll probably send you an email with a letter attached to it if you get rejected. *knows from personal experience*
Ah ok. So when do they start sending out actual acceptances? It says the 28th but from what im reading it seems that "notifications" actually means "rejections."

1,103 applicants for UCB this year? I guess I should expect a rejection any day now sigh.
Never know. The fact that you have not been rejected yet is probably a good sign. Just wish I could get some feedback as to why I was not selected (that's the most frustrating part of the process). I have tried emailing programs that I have been rejected from for some info. as to why I was rejected but I have not gotten a reply and I feel that if I do get a reply it will just generic and ultimately useless.

Ah ok. So when do they start sending out actual acceptances? It says the 28th but from what im reading it seems that "notifications" actually means "rejections."

That I'm not entirely sure... :/ You could always call their office and ask for an update on the status of your application. The women who picked up the phone when I called was really nice and wished me good luck hahah.

Also, UCB Amgens is really junior-biased. Last year as a sophomore, I made it to the final rounds of review and they told me that I probably wasn't going to get it because I was a sophomore. Hopefully I'll have more luck this year as a junior. :)

@KevAquarius, thanks! :) Part of me wishes they would have said "no" just so I decide on one of the programs I've been accepted into and be done with it. Michigan gives me until the 14th so I could potentially chance it... Ugh. I hate making decisions like these. College decisions were so much easier with the May 1 deadline for everyone. :unsure: (Of course, last year I was disappointed about only having one to chose from so I really have no right to complain.)

@FluffyPolishUnicorn, the night before it was due...probably no more than a few hours. The best I did this year was two days in advance because I thought one was due on Feb 1 instead of Feb 3. I find that unless a place lists itself as rolling, they don't care when you submit. (However, I did run into server problems when I cut it too close at one of the other programs I was accepted into...That was a nerve-wracking 30 minutes. I don't recommend it.)

I just got an email from MD Anderson saying that my application was under review and that I would hear back by Friday whether or not it gets selected to additional review.

Wait, which MD Anderson program did you apply too?

No I'm pretty sure the deadline was always Feb. 28 for the MD Anderson CPRIT program.
http://www.mdanderson.org/education...ing-program/cprit-summer-undergrad/index.html

CPRIT isn't giving out notifications this week, the application deadline was last week and the coordinator told me that they review all applications at once. Also, it says on the website that they'll start notifying applicants between, "March 18 and March 29, 2013".

http://www.mdanderson.org/education...ining-program/cprit-summer-undergrad/faq.html

There are several summer internships through MD Anderson...Maybe the one you applied too is giving out notifications this week.

UCSF and Jefferson will give you your status by phone.

Funny how you get rejected from "safeties" and accepted at more competitive programs...just goes to show that there is no formula to these things

@FluffyPolishUnicorn, the night before it was due...probably no more than a few hours. The best I did this year was two days in advance because I thought one was due on Feb 1 instead of Feb 3. I find that unless a place lists itself as rolling, they don't care when you submit. (However, I did run into server problems when I cut it too close at one of the other programs I was accepted into...That was a nerve-wracking 30 minutes. I don't recommend it.)

thanks i did the same thing!

if you dont mind telling what are your credentials? i still havent heard from Mt. Sinai, NYU and CUNY (they will do it at the end of april), rejected from Sloan Kettering

I got an email from Sinai today telling me I'd been accepted on the 21st but the email never came to me. That means a spot will open up, since I accepted a different offer! Hope one of you gets it!!

I got an email from Sinai today telling me I'd been accepted on the 21st but the email never came to me. That means a spot will open up, since I accepted a different offer! Hope one of you gets it!!
Where else were you accepted, if you don't mind me asking? I'm wondering if other programs I've applied to have sent out notifications.

Sorry to hear the news :( But how did you check? By calling?

When I called they suggested me to look at my application status on the application website... Mine says "under review"...
I called because I have another summer program to reply to. My online status is still "under review."

I called UCSF yesterday, Julia was happy to answer my questions but said that she could not give me a decision.
Told me to have my "fingers crossed" and wait till March 14th.