Supreme Court Ruling, Race based admissions.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Because it's discrimination only in the most technical sense. In a similar way I'm discriminated against when I can't apply for scholarships or programs for first generation college students, but I understand why such things exist.
I’m not making up the fact that Harvard adcoms quite literally rated Asian Americans lower on their personal characteristics. While you may not be allowed to apply for certain scholarships, I’m certain those reading scholarship applications do not think less of you for it, hence no malicious discrimination. Harvard failing to do the same is a clear indication of racial discrimination not just in a technical sense, but in the clearest, most literal sense.
 
I know I am. I spend hours every single week volunteering at organizations that specifically serve underprivileged URM's. I'm very young right now so I obviously don't have the power that Chief Justice Roberts has, but I have always served on my county boards and commissions, advocating for justice for underprivileged groups. When I'm older, I plan to adopt multiple foster children and give them the absolute best life possible. As a future physician, I know I'll spend every waking moment outside of work at a free clinic or homeless shelter. Literally. Anyone who knows me will attest to all of these things.
Also, I think that since Chief Justice Roberts said "Eliminating racial discrimination means eliminating all of it", he should absolutely be obligated to fight for equality for all groups - including making sure every child has access to superb education, making sure parents are being held accountable for their children's outcomes, and ensuring that housing becomes desegregated.
Good for you (I mean that). But your activities and Robert's inaction won't fix the numerous hurdles the black community faces when it comes getting a good education. I've mentioned a few times that AA wasn't perfect, but it was something; and you're cheering it's demise with no solutions present.
 
Good for you (I mean that). But your activities and Robert's inaction won't fix the numerous hurdles the black community faces when it comes getting a good education. I've mentioned a few times that AA wasn't perfect, but it was something; and you're cheering it's demise with no solutions present.
I'm not as much cheering its demise, I'm rather so intensely hoping for a better system that ensures that disadvantaged Black students (and also other disadvantaged students as well) will have their voices heard and have the educational opportunities they so greatly deserve. I'd give a billion dollars (if I had it) for the Black kids in Mississippi to get into Harvard. But as the Atlantic put it: "Affirmative action falls, but for poor Black children, nothing changes." It's so true. Poor Black children weren't getting accepted to Harvard when affirmative action was going. A new and better system needs to be put into place.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I’m not making up the fact that Harvard adcoms quite literally rated Asian Americans lower on their personal characteristics. While you may not be allowed to apply for certain scholarships, I’m certain those reading scholarship applications do not think less of you for it, hence no malicious discrimination. Harvard failing to do the same is a clear indication of racial discrimination not just in a technical sense, but in the clearest, most literal sense.
Rating an applicant lower for whatever characteristics they're looking for doesn't mean they think less of them...unless these characteristics are trustworthiness or something weirdly personal. As my numerous rejections can attest, there were plenty of medical schools that rated my characteristics as low (including HBCUs) because I didn't fit with what they wanted. I don't think they thought less of me.
 
I'm not as much cheering its demise, I'm rather so intensely hoping for a better system that ensures that disadvantaged Black students (and also other disadvantaged students as well) will have their voices heard and have the educational opportunities they so greatly deserve. I'd give a billion dollars (if I had it) for the Black kids in Mississippi to get into Harvard. But as the Atlantic put it: "Affirmative action falls, but for poor Black children, nothing changes." It's so true. Poor Black children weren't getting accepted to Harvard when affirmative action was going. A new and better system needs to be put into place.
Semantics. I generally believe the same thing: AA was wildly inefficient and it would be much better to just fix the underlying issues. But seeing as that isn't happening, I'm dismayed and angry at this ruling.

To your last point, I'm aware of the black demographics at Harvard, but can you really say the school has no poor black Americans? And it's not just Harvard, AA helps black people get into higher education, internships, and other programs to spur social mobility (but that's a more complicate discussion).
 
Rating an applicant lower for whatever characteristics they're looking for doesn't mean they think less of them...unless these characteristics are trustworthiness or something weirdly personal. As my numerous rejections can attest, there were plenty of medical schools that rated my characteristics as low (including HBCUs) because I didn't fit with what they wanted. I don't think they thought less of me.
You’re jumping on my wording so allow me to be more explicit. Compared to every other race, Harvard rated Asian Americans lower in their personality (not personal characteristics) scores on traits like “positive personality,” likability, courage, kindness and being “widely respected”. Do you believe it makes sense that Asians have objectively worse personalities than those of other races? If so, that is deeply problematic.
 
Semantics. I generally believe the same thing: AA was wildly inefficient and it would be much better to just fix the underlying issues. But seeing as that isn't happening, I'm dismayed and angry at this ruling.

To your last point, I'm aware of the black demographics at Harvard, but can you really say the school has no poor black Americans? And it's not just Harvard, AA helps black people get into higher education, internships, and other programs to spur social mobility (but that's a more complicate discussion).
I understand the multiple perspectives on this issue. But have you ever thought of this: maybe saying "affirmative action was something" was actually more dangerous and detrimental, because it convinced society and students that these schools were "equitable" and "inclusive" and "making progress", when in reality they really weren't? For example, something that really strikes me is that large debates about lack of socioeconomic diversity and legacy admissions are only really just starting to happen now that affirmative action was overturned. While there have been some discussions on these topics for years, I think they are now being thrust into the limelight much more. Never have I seen more criticisms over legacy admissions than as I have over the past few months and days. Maybe this could turn out to be a good thing, now that we realize how horrible our education system actually is and how much it was failing our nation's most disadvantaged?
 
You’re jumping on my wording so allow me to be more explicit. Compared to every other race, Harvard rated Asian Americans lower in their personality (not personal characteristics) scores on traits like “positive personality,” likability, courage, kindness and being “widely respected”. Do you believe it makes sense that Asians have objectively worse personalities than those of other races? If so, that is deeply problematic.
Article is behind a paywall. How do you even rate those traits?
Of course I don't believe Asians are personality deficient.
 
Article is behind a paywall. How do you even rate those traits?
Of course I don't believe Asians are personality deficient.
Use printfriendly.com or do a bit of googling. You’ll find what I’m pointing out.

I don’t know how adcoms rate these things and that’s why I think this lawsuit was necessary. We might have never learned just how many arcane, arbitrary, and downright malicious practices were going on behind the scenes without it.
 
I understand the multiple perspectives on this issue. But have you ever thought of this: maybe saying "affirmative action was something" was actually more dangerous and detrimental, because it convinced society and students that these schools were "equitable" and "inclusive" and "making progress", when in reality they really weren't? For example, something that really strikes me is that large debates about lack of socioeconomic diversity and legacy admissions are only really just starting to happen now that affirmative action was overturned. While there have been some discussions on these topics for years, I think they are now being thrust into the limelight much more. Never have I seen more criticisms over legacy admissions than as I have over the past few months and days. Maybe this could turn out to be a good thing, now that we realize how horrible our education system actually is and how much it was failing our nation's most disadvantaged?
Yes, I've had these discussions for years. I mean I don't know how many people outside my social circle have these discussions, but so what? Do you honestly believe ending AA is suddenly going to spur any actual change for the black community?

And I'm not sure if any of my black friends or family view these schools in the light you're describing. And everytime my picture is blasted on my medical school's front page as they brag about diversity, I snicker at their hypocrisy.
 
Use printfriendly.com or do a bit of googling. You’ll find what I’m pointing out.

I don’t know how adcoms rate these things and that’s why I think this lawsuit was necessary. We might have never learned just how many arcane, arbitrary, and downright malicious practices were going on behind the scenes without it.
I'll have to read into this. But assuming Harvard has a messed up system where they rate Asian people as less kind or courages it should be exposed and eliminated. Is that a system used by every school in the country? Cause it sounds like a Harvard specific problem, not an AA problem.
 
True, but then you have to ask yourself if "diversity for diversity's sake" is truly what the goals of affirmative action were. Also, you have to ask yourself if giving massive advantages to predominantly wealthy Black and Hispanics is ethical. I don't think that's ethical.
Yes, it is truly diversity for diversity’s sake because AA leads to the eventual greater attempts at higher education by Hispanics/blacks; they’ll try more and because they try more, you get diversity. A major goal of AA is to create better healthcare for Hispanics/blacks, better representation, better achievement, etc., not solely for education. You’re focusing on the fact that wealthier URMs benefit when I think you should be focused on the goal of AA which is to do the things I mentioned, to improve the lives of blacks/Hispanics. Is it perfect? No.

Is it ethical? Yes, I think so. Even if wealthier URMs are benefiting (again that itself will lead to more blacks/Hispanics in education, other areas, increasing diversity) it helps the general black/Hispanic population through all walks of life.
 
I'll have to read into this. But assuming Harvard has a messed up system where they rate Asian people as less kind or courages it should be exposed and eliminated. Is that a system used by every school in the country? Cause it sounds like a Harvard specific problem, not an AA problem.
We’ll never know. Schools have every incentive to bury this information so that it’ll never see the light of day. Harvard certainly tried and was only forced to reveal as much in the course of a full blown lawsuit LOL. Even then, they’ve continued to downplay and minimize this to the point that many haven’t even heard about it. I can’t think of any reason for this glaring injustice other than discriminatory bias introduced by current race conscious admissions policies. The only alternative is that Asians as a whole genuinely have worse personalities than others, at least as they are conveyed through their applications. That is obviously complete nonsense.
 
We’ll never know. Schools have every incentive to bury this information so that it’ll never see the light of day. Harvard certainly tried and was only forced to reveal as much in the course of a full blown lawsuit LOL. Even then, they’ve continued to downplay and minimize this to the point that many haven’t even heard about it. I can’t think of any other reason for this glaring injustice other than discriminatory bias introduced by current race conscious admissions policies. The only alternative is that Asians as a whole genuinely have worse personalities than others, at least as they are conveyed through their applications. That is obviously complete nonsense.
We'll see what comes to light with future lawsuits. It's just hard for me to imagine that there's this ubiquitous malice or antagonism towards Asians in higher education when they still make up a third of the student population and a good portion of faculty. When URMs face institutional malice, there tends to be...nearly none of them represented.
 
We'll see what comes to light with future lawsuits. It's just hard for me to imagine that there's this ubiquitous malice or antagonism towards Asians in higher education when they still make up a third of the student population and a good portion of faculty. When URMs face institutional malice, there tends to be...nearly none of them represented.
This is exactly the problem. People can’t seem to even imagine the possibility that Asian Americans are actually being discriminated against in higher education despite being shown a real-world example in Harvard, the most prestigious school in the world. Sure Asians have achieved remarkably high representation. But after becoming disillusioned with Harvard, I’m more inclined to believe this was in spite of discrimination, not because it didn’t exist.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If we only look at meritocracy, diversity would not exist in medicine. People with great financials and social capital would heavily benefit from meritocracy’s attempt at “fairness.” If we truly value going beyond stats and want to make the future of medicine representative of the population then holistic admissions processes have to find a way to push for that for the entire country.

I’ve seen on this forum that people think certain groups have “earned” their way to higher education. I know it is hard to hear but NO ONE “earned” their way to higher education things like serendipity and support and finances make a huge difference. If you think otherwise you may be short sighted. Many people work very hard everyday and still don’t get to pursue their dreams like any of us who are applying or have applied do. Some people don’t even GET to apply.

Please look at what you value. Do you want everything to be based on meritocracy aka “fairness” when you know that doesn’t truly exist? Or do you want physicians that get TRAINED in medical school to become great physicians AND match the population demographics as closely as possible?

If you think people’s backgrounds “don’t matter” then I suggest you actively put yourself in a space where you are the complete minority and learn from that experience.
 
Last edited:
I'm aware. Just find it somewhat tone deaf to talk about discrimination regarding an initiative that was meant to rectify these past mistakes, especially when Asians make up, what, a third of medical school students?

How does AA rectify the past mistakes when immigrants take up those seats?

Asian Americans make up a third because of their merit, medical schools didn’t give those seats just because they were Asian Americans. The schools did and still do everything possible to keep that number as low as possible. There was no special AA meant for Asian Americans . All other groups are also welcome to raise their game and take up even 80% of the seats. When all the students are in the same college and same classrooms , what exactly prevents black and Hispanic to raise their game? Why not address it? Why no one talks about it? There is a difference of 9 points between Asian Americans and Black and 8 points between Asian Americans and Hispanic on the average matriculants MCAT score . Why can’t we spend our energy in figuring out how to bridge that gap? There is no conversation at all.

We had AA for more than 50 years, right? What did we do to bridge that gap during those 50 years? I am asking the politicians (liberals), universities, schools and most importantly the black and Hispanic families. If the families and the students don’t take up the responsibility, nothing will change. I apologize to be so blunt, because I am frustrated that nobody talks about it and everyone in America seem to think college admissions are some kind of a conspiracy against blacks and Hispanic. You can’t sleep for 21 years when others running and expect to have the same probability of winning the race. You can’t and it is unfair.

About 2 weeks ago, one wonderful black girl had posted a WAMC thread. She came to America from an African country as a teenager and a refuge. She went to community college. She had no home and no family support. She no other connections in the country. Her GPA was kind of low because of some valid reason (3.4 I think) but her MCAT was 523. She had 1000s of research hours and clinical hours and shadowing hours. She had a perfect resume that anyone would envy. I have no clue how she achieved it, I salute her.

If a refuge with so much hardship and without any support. can accomplish so much, what prevents American black and Hispanic to match her? At least make an attempt to match her? We don’t even want to discuss about it. Honestly my belief is that the Affirmative Action was the one preventing the blacks and Hispanic from raising their game. Justice Thomas said the same thing. This black girl didn’t look at average mcat and gpa of black matriculants , she just gave everything that she had got. With the Supreme Court decision, I believe that american blacks and Hispanic will raise up and match Asian Americans and white if the liberal politicians (especially our President) keep their mouths shut and the college admissions committees enforce the decision honestly instead of figuring out surreptitious ways to circumvent it. Then, we can move on as a nation.

I have already seen a few URM applicants asking for suggestions on how to improve their MCAT score and overall app after the Supreme Court decision. Others can/will follow them. We just have to be patient.

I apologize I didn’t mean any offense,
 
This is exactly the problem. People can’t seem to even imagine the possibility that Asian Americans are actually being discriminated against in higher education despite being shown a real-world example in Harvard, the most prestigious school in the world. Sure Asians have achieved remarkably high representation. But after becoming disillusioned with Harvard, I’m more inclined to believe this was in spite of discrimination, not because it didn’t exist.
So I want to be clear: I don't find it hard to believe that Asians face discrimination in general. 2020 and the whole "China-virus" thing was proof, and I had heartbreaking conversations with Asian friends about how they felt fear around it. I find it hard to believe that higher education is actively working to suppress Asian enrollment, especially out of malice. Again there's a difference between "We're focusing on this other group" and "We don't want your kind here."
 
Last edited:
How does AA rectify the past mistakes when immigrants take up those seats?

Asian Americans make up a third because of their merit, medical schools didn’t give those seats just because they were Asian Americans. The schools did and still do everything possible to keep that number as low as possible. There was no special AA meant for Asian Americans . All other groups are also welcome to raise their game and take up even 80% of the seats. When all the students are in the same college and same classrooms , what exactly prevents black and Hispanic to raise their game? Why not address it? Why no one talks about it? There is a difference of 9 points between Asian Americans and Black and 8 points between Asian Americans and Hispanic on the average matriculants MCAT score . Why can’t we spend our energy in figuring out how to bridge that gap? There is no conversation at all.

We had AA for more than 50 years, right? What did we do to bridge that gap during those 50 years? I am asking the politicians (liberals), universities, schools and most importantly the black and Hispanic families. If the families and the students don’t take up the responsibility, nothing will change. I apologize to be so blunt, because I am frustrated that nobody talks about it and everyone in America seem to think college admissions are some kind of a conspiracy against blacks and Hispanic. You can’t sleep for 21 years when others running and expect to have the same probability of winning the race. You can’t and it is unfair.

About 2 weeks ago, one wonderful black girl had posted a WAMC thread. She came to America from an African country as a teenager and a refuge. She went to community college. She had no home and no family support. She no other connections in the country. Her GPA was kind of low because of some valid reason (3.4 I think) but her MCAT was 523. She had 1000s of research hours and clinical hours and shadowing hours. She had a perfect resume that anyone would envy. I have no clue how she achieved it, I salute her.

If a refuge with so much hardship and without any support. can accomplish so much, what prevents American black and Hispanic to match her? At least make an attempt to match her? We don’t even want to discuss about it. Honestly my belief is that the Affirmative Action was the one preventing the blacks and Hispanic from raising their game. Justice Thomas said the same thing. This black girl didn’t look at average mcat and gpa of black matriculants , she just gave everything that she had got. With the Supreme Court decision, I believe that american blacks and Hispanic will raise up and match Asian Americans and white if the liberal politicians (especially our President) keep their mouths shut and the college admissions committees enforce the decision honestly instead of figuring out surreptitious ways to circumvent it. Then, we can move on as a nation.

I have already seen a few URM applicants asking for suggestions on how to improve their MCAT score and overall app after the Supreme Court decision. Others can/will follow them. We just have to be patient.

I apologize I didn’t mean any offense,
Yeah, so I addressed the immigrant black thing already.

As for the other point, have you ever spent significant time in black communities? It's not a responsibility thing...

Sorry, but your refugee story is pointless. If you had a bunch of people run a marathon, and forced a subset to strap weights on their ankles I'm sure some of them would finish. That doesn't mean the weights shouldn't be removed or aren't heavily impacting the others.
 
Last edited:
So I want to be clear: I don't find it hard to believe that Asians face discrimination in general. 2020 and the whole "China-virus" was proof, and I had heartbreaking conversations with Asians friends about how they felt fear around it. I find it hard to believe that higher educations is actively working to suppress Asian enrollment, especially out of malice. Again there's a difference between "We're focusing on this other group" and "We don't want your kind here."
Fair point. I agree there is a difference there. At the same time, you would be hard-pressed to find an example of “We don’t want your kind here” discrimination in modern higher education. It’s all just schools putting their own twisted spin on the former, milder form, whether that be focusing on legacies or recruited athletes or URMs. In my mind, it’s all just thinly veiled discrimination against the group(s) that were not focused on.
 
How does AA rectify the past mistakes when immigrants take up those seats?

Asian Americans make up a third because of their merit, medical schools didn’t give those seats just because they were Asian Americans. The schools did and still do everything possible to keep that number as low as possible. There was no special AA meant for Asian Americans . All other groups are also welcome to raise their game and take up even 80% of the seats. When all the students are in the same college and same classrooms , what exactly prevents black and Hispanic to raise their game? Why not address it? Why no one talks about it? There is a difference of 9 points between Asian Americans and Black and 8 points between Asian Americans and Hispanic on the average matriculants MCAT score . Why can’t we spend our energy in figuring out how to bridge that gap? There is no conversation at all.

We had AA for more than 50 years, right? What did we do to bridge that gap during those 50 years? I am asking the politicians (liberals), universities, schools and most importantly the black and Hispanic families. If the families and the students don’t take up the responsibility, nothing will change. I apologize to be so blunt, because I am frustrated that nobody talks about it and everyone in America seem to think college admissions are some kind of a conspiracy against blacks and Hispanic. You can’t sleep for 21 years when others running and expect to have the same probability of winning the race. You can’t and it is unfair.

About 2 weeks ago, one wonderful black girl had posted a WAMC thread. She came to America from an African country as a teenager and a refuge. She went to community college. She had no home and no family support. She no other connections in the country. Her GPA was kind of low because of some valid reason (3.4 I think) but her MCAT was 523. She had 1000s of research hours and clinical hours and shadowing hours. She had a perfect resume that anyone would envy. I have no clue how she achieved it, I salute her.

If a refuge with so much hardship and without any support. can accomplish so much, what prevents American black and Hispanic to match her? At least make an attempt to match her? We don’t even want to discuss about it. Honestly my belief is that the Affirmative Action was the one preventing the blacks and Hispanic from raising their game. Justice Thomas said the same thing. This black girl didn’t look at average mcat and gpa of black matriculants , she just gave everything that she had got. With the Supreme Court decision, I believe that american blacks and Hispanic will raise up and match Asian Americans and white if the liberal politicians (especially our President) keep their mouths shut and the college admissions committees enforce the decision honestly instead of figuring out surreptitious ways to circumvent it. Then, we can move on as a nation.

I have already seen a few URM applicants asking for suggestions on how to improve their MCAT score and overall app after the Supreme Court decision. Others can/will follow them. We just have to be patient.

I apologize I didn’t mean any offense,

Leaving systemic issues up to families to correct is shortsighted in my opinion. Things like the funding of public schools is a huge problem in America.

It’s driven by property taxes and perpetuates educational disparities. What do you suggest students that happen to live in a school district that isn’t well funded do? Why is this tied to race? Look up the history of race and zoning.

Why don’t people just up and move you may ask?

1. They shouldn’t have to.
2. They may not have the money to.
3. They may want to be close to community and family.
4. Look back at 1.
 
I'll have to read into this. But assuming Harvard has a messed up system where they rate Asian people as less kind or courages it should be exposed and eliminated. Is that a system used by every school in the country? Cause it sounds like a Harvard specific problem, not an AA problem.
Not every top school in the country use the same system, everyone has their own way of hurting Asian Americans and keep them as low as possible.

What I hated the most about AA was the dishonesty that comes with it. Everyone lies from top to bottom. There is no such thing as the holistic admission in reality. It is a code word for quotas . Since it is unconstitutional, they came up with a fancy word. According to Harvard, the Asian Americans outperform every other group not only with gpa and sat scores but also the extracurriculars. Everyone spreading an unadulterated lie that Asian Americans have only good stats.

What exactly was happening at highly selective schools and programs was that the applicants were grouped according yo their skin color and compared with applicants from the same group. Every group is allotted a number of seats (quotas). After making admission decisions the adcoms adjusted the overall scores by playing with the subjective criteria to cover their behind from lawsuits. They fool the world by saying it is the holistic admission. Harvard went even one step more and invented a new bogus criteria called “personality rating “ and purposefully gave lower rating for all Asian Americans . I don’t know how they can sleep peacefully.

If adcoms don’t consider race , Asian Americans would earn 45% of the seats at top universities and highly selective programs. Harvard accepted it as a fact and CalTech numbers prove it too. The universities that practice holistic/quota admissions, take 20% of those seats from Asian Americans and distribute them among blacks and Hispanics. But some people choose to cry that Asian Americans are over represented as if they were freebies.
 
Last edited:
Not every top school in the country use the same system, everyone has their own way of hurting Asian Americans and keep them as low as possible.

What I hated the most about AA was the dishonesty that comes with it. Everyone lies from top to bottom. There is no such thing as the holistic admission in reality. It is a code word for quotas . Since it is unconstitutional, they came up with a fancy word. According to Harvard, the Asian Americans outperform every other group not only with gpa and sat scores but also the extracurriculars. Everyone spreading an unadulterated lie that Asian Americans have only good stats.

What exactly was happening at highly selective schools and programs was that the applicants were grouped according yo their skin color and compared with applicants from the same group. Every group is allotted a number of seats (quotas). After making admission decisions the adcoms adjusted the overall scores by playing with the subjective criteria to cover their behind from lawsuits. They fool the world by saying it is the holistic admission. Harvard went even one step more and invented a new bogus criteria called “personality rating “ and purposefully gave lower rating for all Asian Americans . I don’t know how they can sleep peacefully.

If adcoms don’t consider race , Asian Americans would earn 45% of the seats at top universities and highly selective programs. Harvard accepted it as a fact and CalTech numbers prove it too. The universities that practice holistic/quota admissions, take 20% of those seats from Asian Americans and distribute them among blacks and Hispanics. But some people choose to cry that Asian Americans are over represented as if they were freebies.
I can’t find an answer as to why a college would deliberately discriminate against Asians. It seems to me like a lot of people think Asians are disliked by college admissions. What do you think? Is it just because they don’t like Asians?
 
I can’t find an answer as to why a college would deliberately discriminate against Asians. It seems to me like a lot of people think Asians are disliked by college admissions. What do you think? Is it just because they don’t like Asians?
The reason is that colleges believe that Asians take up too many spots, and that leaves too few spots for Blacks and Hispanics. If Blacks and Hispanics are to be "represented" proportionally to their share of the population, then any "overrepresented" groups must be reduced.

This process also creates and perpetuates stereotypes like "Asians have bad personality or no leadership" which are then used to justify the pseudo-quota.
 
One group certainly seems to stick out as being held to a higher standard than others. It is not so much that black and LatinX students at medical schools haven't "earned their place;" it is that it is at the expense of others who may have "earned it more."
View attachment 373716
But why are you frustrated about the 5-15 spots Black/Hispanic students are taking up in a class of ~200 students? You would rather 0-2 spots go to Black/Hispanic students? I’m just trying to see what you’re getting at considering that Black/Hispanic students are a minority at these med schools.
 
The reason is that colleges believe that Asians take up too many spots, and that leaves too few spots for Blacks and Hispanics. If Blacks and Hispanics are to be "represented" proportionally to their share of the population, than any "overrepresented" groups must be reduced.

This process also creates and perpetuates stereotypes like "Asians have bad personality or leadership" which are then used to justify the pseudo-quota.
Why do they think it’s bad if blacks and Hispanics aren’t represented proportionally to their share of the population?
 
Simple. Health disparities disproportionately affecting black and Hispanic patient populations. Representation increases patient-physician trust and better quality of care/treatment of those patients. Considering that Hispanic population is the second majority, it would be great to have more Hispanic doctors that understand their patients as well.
Thank you and I agree but I want to know what @Plut0 has to say
 
Why do they think it’s bad if blacks and Hispanics aren’t represented proportionally to their share of the population?
I am aware of several arguments.

Some people believe that the very existence of different social outcomes among races is ipso facto evidence of racism, which is often referred to as systemic racism. Thus, making representation proportional is a way to defeat systemic racism.

A similar version argues that equality of outcomes (equity) is more desirable than equality of opportunities, so if equal outcome can be achieved by restricting opportunities to some groups, this is still justified.

Then there is the empirical argument made by KoolGirlKay123, which is that proportional representation is meant create external benefits such as better care for Black/Hispanic patients in the med school case.

In court, it has been argued that minority students might need a "critical mass" number of students of their same race to feel welcome on campus and engage in ethnic activities. Therefore, having too few minorities on campus would then be unfair to those minorities.

Finally, there is the cynical argument that increasing Black and Hispanic representation is a tool for the Democratic Party to win vote/increase turn out from its Black and Hispanic constituents. Blacks and Hispanics are far more numerous than Asians, and Asians tend to concentrate in Democratic strongholds like NY and CA making the Asian vote less decisive. Favoring Blacks and Hispanics while throwing Asians under the bus is a politically sound strategy.

And of course, there are anti-Asian racists out there.
 
Med school deans take note, Berkeley Law School dean says quiet part out loud:

Dean caught saying Berkeley Law uses 'unstated affirmative action:' 'I'm going to deny I said this'​

 
How does AA rectify the past mistakes when immigrants take up those seats?

Asian Americans make up a third because of their merit, medical schools didn’t give those seats just because they were Asian Americans. The schools did and still do everything possible to keep that number as low as possible. There was no special AA meant for Asian Americans . All other groups are also welcome to raise their game and take up even 80% of the seats. When all the students are in the same college and same classrooms , what exactly prevents black and Hispanic to raise their game? Why not address it? Why no one talks about it? There is a difference of 9 points between Asian Americans and Black and 8 points between Asian Americans and Hispanic on the average matriculants MCAT score . Why can’t we spend our energy in figuring out how to bridge that gap? There is no conversation at all.

We had AA for more than 50 years, right? What did we do to bridge that gap during those 50 years? I am asking the politicians (liberals), universities, schools and most importantly the black and Hispanic families. If the families and the students don’t take up the responsibility, nothing will change. I apologize to be so blunt, because I am frustrated that nobody talks about it and everyone in America seem to think college admissions are some kind of a conspiracy against blacks and Hispanic. You can’t sleep for 21 years when others running and expect to have the same probability of winning the race. You can’t and it is unfair.

About 2 weeks ago, one wonderful black girl had posted a WAMC thread. She came to America from an African country as a teenager and a refuge. She went to community college. She had no home and no family support. She no other connections in the country. Her GPA was kind of low because of some valid reason (3.4 I think) but her MCAT was 523. She had 1000s of research hours and clinical hours and shadowing hours. She had a perfect resume that anyone would envy. I have no clue how she achieved it, I salute her.

If a refuge with so much hardship and without any support. can accomplish so much, what prevents American black and Hispanic to match her? At least make an attempt to match her? We don’t even want to discuss about it. Honestly my belief is that the Affirmative Action was the one preventing the blacks and Hispanic from raising their game. Justice Thomas said the same thing. This black girl didn’t look at average mcat and gpa of black matriculants , she just gave everything that she had got. With the Supreme Court decision, I believe that american blacks and Hispanic will raise up and match Asian Americans and white if the liberal politicians (especially our President) keep their mouths shut and the college admissions committees enforce the decision honestly instead of figuring out surreptitious ways to circumvent it. Then, we can move on as a nation.

I have already seen a few URM applicants asking for suggestions on how to improve their MCAT score and overall app after the Supreme Court decision. Others can/will follow them. We just have to be patient.

I apologize I didn’t mean any offense,
" Asian Americans make up a third because of their merit".

Perhaps so. It's somewhat debatable. The argument can be made that conditions in this country were made suitable for Asian Americans to acheive as some have (RE: model minority myth) due to their facing of less racism, by design. As mentioned, Affirmative Action was designed to be a restorative measure in lieu of reparations. By contrast, Japanese-Americans received reparations by the U.S. government. African-Americans have never received such reparations after 400 years in the U.S.

"...most importantly the black and Hispanic families. If the families and the students don’t take up the responsibility, nothing will change."

It's a complicated and complex issue, but historical events matter.
African-Americans have faced active repression and suppression in this country and have so since the end of slavery. From the terrorism of reconstruction, to Jim Crow apartheid, to the mass incarceration, voter suppression, the Southern Strategy, discrimination in employment, healthcare, education-- these are are active suppression tools. Stats in the U.S. clearly show the are sizable gaps btw African-Americans and other groups in these areas.

The prejudicial idea that African-American families simply don't care or are looking for an unfair shortcut -- this a vicious racist lie invented to stigmatize African-Americans seeking to integrate and stabilize into society with aids such as Affirmative Action.
African-Americans have faced active war on their families for over 400 years, yet we still fill the confidence to make such statement. I will give you that it is based on ignorance. Even so, African-Americans have fought against and and still improved their situation.
Of course, individual behavior and decisions also matter, but the general trends show that these suppression tools have achieve their general intended effect, although yes, you do have outliers of those who are able to achieve despite these racist strategies (although they face more challenges than other racial groups).

"If a refuge with so much hardship and without any support. can accomplish so much, what prevents American black and Hispanic to match her?" See above response.

The rest of your post builds on the above. African-Americans now "raising their game"? To me, this is a sign of the resentment, entitlement even, that other racial groups hold, buying into the lies perpetuated by White Supremacy.

I was reprimanded for suggesting this before, but I honestly believe education on history helps to understand why we are where we are and why so little progress still has been made. I recommend looking up, "model minority myth" and watching the doc, "13th" available on YT for free.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In spite of all of this, no one ever advocates for AA to benefit Asian Americans.
Great summary.

Not completely disagreeing, but just pointing out..


For those to learn more because e don't cover Asian American history in most K-12 curricula


We do need serious help disaggregating Asian. California has some limited action here.

I recommend watching the documentary series on PBS entitled Hidden Barriers. It's part of a reference in Becoming a Student Doctor, and there is one episode on Asian health disparities in the US. There's another on medical school admissions.

Access PBS Or try

I think the "model minority" nyth is one reason it appears no one advocates AA for Asian Americans... in fact, that has been the conservative argument for decades.
 
Last edited:
The Pro-affirmative action wing of our society is largely grounded in misrepresentation of why AA is necessary, and the supposed benefits that our society accrues from it.

In medical education, the benevolent reason cited is simply called “race concordance,” which aims to pair physicians and patients of the same color on the grounds that it leads to better outcomes. This view has been endorsed across AAMC/ ACGME/ Med school Adcoms and the rest of the healthcare establishment. The racial concordance principle is repeatedly used to justify AA because the physician workforce doesn’t reflect America’s racial makeup. The above unscientific theory has allowed AA to thrive in medical schools without entertaining any counter points and questions.

The Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) reports that among medical school matriculants in 2022-2023 , African Americans had an average GPA of 3.55 and MCAT scores in the 64th percentile. Asian Americans, who incur the greatest penalty from affirmative action, had an average GPA of 3.80 and MCAT scores around the 89th percentile- all in the name of benefits to our society from “racial concordance”.

However the scientific conclusions do not agree with the “race concordance” theory:
Conclusions: Little evidence of clinical benefit resulting from sex or race/ethnicity concordance was found. Greater matching of patients and providers by sex and race/ethnicity is unlikely to mitigate health disparities.

 
@gyngyn @Med Ed @Moko

Do you all know how this will impact the residency application process? I have heard from some people that at this point it is mostly about job/mission/stat fit and that race does not play a factor. But there seems to be conflicting reports. Would appreciate any insight you all have, tysm! 🙂
Oh that should be in a different thread... but moving holistic review principles to residency selection has been happening.
 
Social status is bigger than race. In general People would prefer want to hang out with a Black doctor than a low wage White person. Chronic racist people are really a minority, but since they make noise this issue is amplified. In general society evolves to respect all, especially on who contributes to higher economic output. Unfortunately this higher economic output is correlated with social status as well.
Seems that my statement has lots of downvotes and it means, either I didn't connected to the reality or my statement didn't convey the message properly. I am all for having affirmative action based on race. My intention is also to convey that you could blur the race once people climb up the social ladder. As a lower caste Indian, I do get some micro-aggression from some very small group of casteist people. But this is outweighed by our family's high tech company job as they feel they could benefit from our connection. I could understand that this will be amplified for blacks. The final intent for any social-doctrines should be both long term survivability of society with equalization in mind. It is extremely funny that our economic doctrines has strong emphasis of long term survivability on the basis of pruning the best out of best, but at the same time blind to topics like climate change.
 
Last edited:
The Pro-affirmative action wing of our society is largely grounded in misrepresentation of why AA is necessary, and the supposed benefits that our society accrues from it.

In medical education, the benevolent reason cited is simply called “race concordance,” which aims to pair physicians and patients of the same color on the grounds that it leads to better outcomes. This view has been endorsed across AAMC/ ACGME/ Med school Adcoms and the rest of the healthcare establishment. The racial concordance principle is repeatedly used to justify AA because the physician workforce doesn’t reflect America’s racial makeup. The above unscientific theory has allowed AA to thrive in medical schools without entertaining any counter points and questions.

The Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) reports that among medical school matriculants in 2022-2023 , African Americans had an average GPA of 3.55 and MCAT scores in the 64th percentile. Asian Americans, who incur the greatest penalty from affirmative action, had an average GPA of 3.80 and MCAT scores around the 89th percentile- all in the name of benefits to our society from “racial concordance”.

However the scientific conclusions do not agree with the “race concordance” theory:
Conclusions: Little evidence of clinical benefit resulting from sex or race/ethnicity concordance was found. Greater matching of patients and providers by sex and race/ethnicity is unlikely to mitigate health disparities.

"In counties with more Black doctors, Black people live longer, ‘astonishing’ study finds" (April 2023): In counties with more Black doctors, Black people live longer, ‘astonishing’ study finds

"The study, published Friday in JAMA Network Open, is the first to link a higher prevalence of Black doctors to longer life expectancy and lower mortality in Black populations. Other studies have shown that when Black patients are treated by Black doctors, they are more satisfied with their health care, more likely to have received the preventive care they needed in the past year, and are more likely to agree to recommended preventive care such as blood tests and flu shots. But none of that research has shown an impact on Black life expectancy."
 
I am aware of several arguments.

Some people believe that the very existence of different social outcomes among races is ipso facto evidence of racism, which is often referred to as systemic racism. Thus, making representation proportional is a way to defeat systemic racism.

A similar version argues that equality of outcomes (equity) is more desirable than equality of opportunities, so if equal outcome can be achieved by restricting opportunities to some groups, this is still justified.

Then there is the empirical argument made by KoolGirlKay123, which is that proportional representation is meant create external benefits such as better care for Black/Hispanic patients in the med school case.

In court, it has been argued that minority students might need a "critical mass" number of students of their same race to feel welcome on campus and engage in ethnic activities. Therefore, having too few minorities on campus would then be unfair to those minorities.

Finally, there is the cynical argument that increasing Black and Hispanic representation is a tool for the Democratic Party to win vote/increase turn out from its Black and Hispanic constituents. Blacks and Hispanics are far more numerous than Asians, and Asians tend to concentrate in Democratic strongholds like NY and CA making the Asian vote less decisive. Favoring Blacks and Hispanics while throwing Asians under the bus is a politically sound strategy.

And of course, there are anti-Asian racists out there.
Yes these are arguments for AA but I’m asking:

Why do they (admissions across all colleges and programs by the way, not just in medicine) think it’s bad if blacks and Hispanics aren’t represented proportionally to their share of the population? By population I mean the general population, not just in college.
 
Last edited:
"In counties with more Black doctors, Black people live longer, ‘astonishing’ study finds" (April 2023): In counties with more Black doctors, Black people live longer, ‘astonishing’ study finds

"The study, published Friday in JAMA Network Open, is the first to link a higher prevalence of Black doctors to longer life expectancy and lower mortality in Black populations. Other studies have shown that when Black patients are treated by Black doctors, they are more satisfied with their health care, more likely to have received the preventive care they needed in the past year, and are more likely to agree to recommended preventive care such as blood tests and flu shots. But none of that research has shown an impact on Black life expectancy."
Racism is individual, not just institutional. As individuals, we all have the power to hurt one another. The main point is that the arguments that Black Americans or Asian Americans or Hispanic Americans can’t be racist because they have no power to act on such antagonism — is also reductive. Yes, all patients of all racial background can have prejudices against their physician of a different background and that is why we have to evaluate these studies of race concordance with due meticulousness. We shouldn’t have to condone prejudice or discrimination against anyone, for any reason. America is indeed a melting pot- that’s why immigrants from all over the world go through so many hardships to come here to better their future. If people needed the same race to care for them, they could just move to a country where they would not have paucity of members of their race. The truth is far from it. Let’s acknowledge the existence of so-called “reverse racism” and the existence of degrees of racism in a power structure- between patients and their physicians, or between the medical adcoms/residency PDs and the applicants. Discrimination- either positive or negative, is equally dangerous.
 
Racism is individual, not just institutional. As individuals, we all have the power to hurt one another. The main point is that the arguments that Black Americans or Asian Americans or Hispanic Americans can’t be racist because they have no power to act on such antagonism — is also reductive. Yes, all patients of all racial background can have prejudices against their physician of a different background and that is why we have to evaluate these studies of race concordance with due meticulousness. We shouldn’t have to condone prejudice or discrimination against anyone, for any reason. America is indeed a melting pot- that’s why immigrants from all over the world go through so many hardships to come here to better their future. If people needed the same race to care for them, they could just move to a country where they would not have paucity of members of their race. The truth is far from it. Let’s acknowledge the existence of so-called “reverse racism” and the existence of degrees of racism in a power structure- between patients and their physicians, or between the medical adcoms/residency PDs and the applicants. Discrimination- either positive or negative, is equally dangerous.
Your response here does not address the study I cited. A study know has found that African-Americans patients being treated by other African-American primary physicians improves health outcomes, i.e. mortality. That's the bottom line and this is why we need more Black doctors, not less.

Also from the article: "But increasing the number of Black physicians remains a stubborn problem. Despite decades of attention to the matter, a 2021 study showed the number of Black and Native American medical students, particularly males, has stagnated. The AAMC has reported a recent uptick in admissions of Black medical students, possibly due to a renewed focus on diversity in recent years, but an upcoming Supreme Court decision expected to limit the use of race as a factor in admission could cut into such gains."
 
Your response here does not address the study I cited. A study know has found that African-Americans patients being treated by other African-American primary physicians improves health outcomes, i.e. mortality. That's the bottom line and this is why we need more Black doctors, not less.

Also from the article: "But increasing the number of Black physicians remains a stubborn problem. Despite decades of attention to the matter, a 2021 study showed the number of Black and Native American medical students, particularly males, has stagnated. The AAMC has reported a recent uptick in admissions of Black medical students, possibly due to a renewed focus on diversity in recent years, but an upcoming Supreme Court decision expected to limit the use of race as a factor in admission could cut into such gains."
Needless to state that we need more qualified, compassionate and competent doctors from different backgrounds to serve our diverse country better. This is definitely a desired outcome if it happens a result of a fair and unbiased selection process. And more importantly, this process needs to start at the grassroots level, i.e K-12 schools and not happen during the penultimate phase of medical school admissions cycle.

“There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root, and it may be that he who bestows the largest amount of time and money on the needy is doing the most by his mode of life to produce that misery which he strives in vain to relieve”.

Credit: Henry David Thoreau
 
Needless to state that we need more qualified, compassionate and competent doctors from different backgrounds to serve our diverse country better. This is definitely a desired outcome if it happens a result of a fair and unbiased selection process. And more importantly, this process needs to start at the grassroots level, i.e K-12 schools and not happen during the penultimate phase of medical school admissions cycle.

“There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root, and it may be that he who bestows the largest amount of time and money on the needy is doing the most by his mode of life to produce that misery which he strives in vain to relieve”.
Credit: Henry David Thoreau
I feel an assumption you are making is that the individuals who got into medical school via race-based affirmative action programs were unqualified, which is untrue and reflects a lack of understanding of the admissions process. All students considered for admission have met the standards set by the school. After that, race is one factor considered. Your response reeks of resentment and entitlement and if there is anything we need less of, it's that.
As for the "K-12" work, it is as if you think this is not actively going on for over a century?
 
Yes these are arguments for AA but I’m asking:

Why do they (admissions across all colleges and programs by the way, not just in medicine) think it’s bad if blacks and Hispanics aren’t represented proportionally to their share of the population? By population I mean the general population, not just in college.
Because they (African-Americans) die at higher numbers if they are not.

See my post above with article link for more explanation.
 
Needless to state that we need more qualified, compassionate and competent doctors from different backgrounds to serve our diverse country better. This is definitely a desired outcome if it happens a result of a fair and unbiased selection process. And more importantly, this process needs to start at the grassroots level, i.e K-12 schools and not happen during the penultimate phase of medical school admissions cycle.

“There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root, and it may be that he who bestows the largest amount of time and money on the needy is doing the most by his mode of life to produce that misery which he strives in vain to relieve”.
Credit: Henry David Thoreau
When people use phrases like "fair and unbiased", I realize they live in a fantasy world. Almost a third of my class have a physician parent and more than 35% have less than $50K in loans. If you don't think a child of physicians or other wealthy groups of people will find a way to make the process unfair i.e. invest in more resources for their kids, you are naive. Making K-12 schools with '70s quality will not make the process fair but it's a good start and medical schools will not see its effects for a decade, at least.
 
Not every top school in the country use the same system, everyone has their own way of hurting Asian Americans and keep them as low as possible.

What I hated the most about AA was the dishonesty that comes with it. Everyone lies from top to bottom. There is no such thing as the holistic admission in reality. It is a code word for quotas . Since it is unconstitutional, they came up with a fancy word. According to Harvard, the Asian Americans outperform every other group not only with gpa and sat scores but also the extracurriculars. Everyone spreading an unadulterated lie that Asian Americans have only good stats.

What exactly was happening at highly selective schools and programs was that the applicants were grouped according yo their skin color and compared with applicants from the same group. Every group is allotted a number of seats (quotas). After making admission decisions the adcoms adjusted the overall scores by playing with the subjective criteria to cover their behind from lawsuits. They fool the world by saying it is the holistic admission. Harvard went even one step more and invented a new bogus criteria called “personality rating “ and purposefully gave lower rating for all Asian Americans . I don’t know how they can sleep peacefully.

If adcoms don’t consider race , Asian Americans would earn 45% of the seats at top universities and highly selective programs. Harvard accepted it as a fact and CalTech numbers prove it too. The universities that practice holistic/quota admissions, take 20% of those seats from Asian Americans and distribute them among blacks and Hispanics. But some people choose to cry that Asian Americans are over represented as if they were freebies.
Reading this makes me teary. As an incoming first year (Asian) OMS1, first in the family to attend college, an ESL and member of the LGBTQ+community - I feel hurt, unwanted, frustrated yet also somewhat hopeful.

After 4 application cycles with stats (just) above the national MD average, thousands of service hours, and multiple publications. I will finally be attending medical school this year. I didn’t receive a single MD invite in the last 4 years.

I care about diversity and I have spent years volunteering for underserved and marginalized populations. But things like this make me lose hope, and purpose. I hate being penalized for working hard. Sometimes I wish I wasn’t Asian and sometimes I wish people could understand my struggle. I remember when I was 17 (and I am 27 now), the year I entered university with ambitious goals of becoming a doctor, only to be told that I must excel in some sort of sport as being an average Asian will get me nowhere.

Fast forward, when I got my MCAT scores(I wrote it twice), I was again lured into this illusion on another forum that a low-mid 510x was a great score to get me in - I never disclose my race because i didn’t believe it should matter. Now at 27, I will finally be starting this fall.

I’m grateful that it worked out, and knowing that there are people that understand my struggles but I’m also lost because I don’t know what the future holds.

To everyone that participated in this important discussion - thank you for acknowledging that my struggles exist.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not every top school in the country use the same system, everyone has their own way of hurting Asian Americans and keep them as low as possible.

What I hated the most about AA was the dishonesty that comes with it. Everyone lies from top to bottom. There is no such thing as the holistic admission in reality. It is a code word for quotas . Since it is unconstitutional, they came up with a fancy word. According to Harvard, the Asian Americans outperform every other group not only with gpa and sat scores but also the extracurriculars. Everyone spreading an unadulterated lie that Asian Americans have only good stats.

What exactly was happening at highly selective schools and programs was that the applicants were grouped according yo their skin color and compared with applicants from the same group. Every group is allotted a number of seats (quotas). After making admission decisions the adcoms adjusted the overall scores by playing with the subjective criteria to cover their behind from lawsuits. They fool the world by saying it is the holistic admission. Harvard went even one step more and invented a new bogus criteria called “personality rating “ and purposefully gave lower rating for all Asian Americans . I don’t know how they can sleep peacefully.

If adcoms don’t consider race , Asian Americans would earn 45% of the seats at top universities and highly selective programs. Harvard accepted it as a fact and CalTech numbers prove it too. The universities that practice holistic/quota admissions, take 20% of those seats from Asian Americans and distribute them among blacks and Hispanics. But some people choose to cry that Asian Americans are over represented as if they were freebies.
"The universities that practice holistic/quota admissions, take 20% of those seats from Asian Americans and distribute them among blacks and Hispanics". Those spots you speak of are earned rightly by them and to imply anything else is not fair at all.

How are you so sure that 45% of seats would go to Asian Americans? Based on what?
 
the individuals who got into medical school via race-based affirmative action programs were unqualified, which is untrue and reflects a lack of understanding of the admissions process.
The terms “qualified “ and “unqualified “ have no meaning. Everyone who passed out of high school is qualified to attend Harvard. It doesn’t mean one with 2.5/1150 and another with 4.0/1590 are equally qualified. Similarly, anyone who passed undergrad is qualified to attend a medical school. It doesn’t mean all who passed undergrad are equally qualified.

One Medical School (MD) says that their curriculum is extremely challenging, so they expect all the applicants to be well qualified and have a MCAT score of 490 and above 🙂 Funny, they didn’t say everyone should have 472+. I am pretty sure they would have accepted many with mcat score of less than 500 and many with 520+. It doesn’t mean they are equally qualified. I am pretty sure they would have rejected many with 518+. Is it fair? Not to me.
 
"The universities that practice holistic/quota admissions, take 20% of those seats from Asian Americans and distribute them among blacks and Hispanics". Those spots you speak of are earned rightly by them and to imply anything else is not fair at all.

How are you so sure that 45% of seats would go to Asian Americans? Based on what?
Based on years of my observation. Harvard admitted to it. CalTech is the standing proof. Berkeley and UCLA were consistently having 45% Asian Americans until the recent board (with full of URMs ) took over and started to circumvent the state ban on affirmative action. It is well known truth.
 
Based on years of my observation. Harvard admitted to it. CalTech is the standing proof. Berkeley and UCLA were consistently having 45% Asian Americans until the recent board (with full of URMs ) took over and started to circumvent the state ban on affirmative action. It is well known truth.
Well, your years of observation are wrong, if Harvard admitted to such a notion, the court case would not have gone as far as the Supreme Court.
 
Reading this makes me teary. As an incoming first year (Asian) OMS1, first in the family to attend college, an ESL and member of the LGBTQ+community - I feel hurt, unwanted, frustrated yet also somewhat hopeful.

After 4 application cycles with stats (just) above the national MD average, thousands of service hours, and multiple publications. I will finally be attending medical school this year. I didn’t receive a single MD invite in the last 4 years.

I care about diversity and I have spent years volunteering for underserved and marginalized populations. But things like this make me lose hope, and purpose. I hate being penalized for working hard. Sometimes I wish I wasn’t Asian and sometimes I wish people could understand my struggle. I remember when I was 17 (and I am 27 now), the year I entered university with ambitious goals of becoming a doctor, only to be told that I must excel in some sort of sport as being an average Asian will get me nowhere.

Fast forward, when I got my MCAT scores(I wrote it twice), I was again lured into this illusion on another forum that a low-mid 510x was a great score to get me in - I never disclose my race because i didn’t believe it should matter. Now at 27, I will finally be starting this fall.

I’m grateful that it worked out, and knowing that there are people that understand my struggles but I’m also lost because I don’t know what the future holds.

To everyone that participated in this important discussion - thank you for acknowledging that my struggles exist.
Congratulations to you on your medical school admission and I applaud your grit, determination and perseverance in this unfair admissions process. Needless to state, you will make a great future physician!

Asian Americans, the group whom this whole lawsuit is supposedly about, have been conveniently ignored from the conversations that have followed since the ruling. The media and the university presidents have mostly ignored the Asian Americans and chosen, instead, to relitigate the same arguments about merit, white supremacy, anti-blackness, and social class/ privilege. Asian Americans are just the inconvenient bystanders, who are now dismissed as “unwilling pawns” who had been duped by a white, conservative legal activist. Undeniably, any admissions process is a Zero-Sum game, and when one race is favored, another race is disfavored.

Even worse, the word “Asian American” appears only 3 times in Justice Jackson’s 29 page dissent: once as a footnote, once as part of a list of median household incomes compared across racial groups, and then one other minor mention in her dissent. KBJ’s dissent, which details the lengthy history of discrimination against Black people, never once mentions the history of racism against Asians in America, whether the lynching of Chinese immigrants in the nineteenth century, the Chinese Exclusion Act, or Japanese internment.

This is really sad that reading this court’s dissenting opinions from the 3 liberal justices has clearly exposed the exclusion of Asian Americans in everyday lives, and is a testament that the word “diversity” no longer includes Asian Americans in American vernacular. The NY Times published a very recent story about how selective colleges will continue to achieve racial diversity through other even-more opaque and subjective means, now that AA has been ruled as unconstitutional-including means such as eliminating the use of standardized tests completely, and using teacher recommendations and encouraging personal essays to focus on the evergreen issue of “race”, as well as using subjective interpretation of interview skills to wipe out any objective evidence that can be used in future litigation, as they continue to subterfuge court rulings.

We all can foresee how that will go… However SFFA is not giving up this chase, and hopefully SCOTUS majority continues to rule constitutionally, and ensure equal justice for all of us- regardless of race, ethnicity, nationality or sex.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.