Switch MCAT from May 20th to July 9th? Also, TMDSAS questions.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

illinimed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As of now I am signed up for the May 20th test date, but with finals approaching I feel like I won't be as prepared as I would like. The June test dates are full in my state, but there is a July 9th date available.

How adversely would the later date affect my application? I feel the stronger score I would receive after two extra months of studying would outweigh a later application, but I do not know for sure.

Additionally, why is it that when people take their MCAT over the summer, they only submit their primary to one "throw away" school when the application opens? Is this so that they do not waste money applying to schools that may not fall within their MCAT score?

Lastly, I am a Texas resident so I will also be applying through the TMDSAS as well. This opens on May 2nd. The application does not allow me to pre-fill the application, as is the case with AMCAS; does this mean that on May 2nd the rolling admission process starts? Would a July 9th test date hurt me even more for the Texas schools because their application cycle starts earlier?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Additionally, why is it that when people take their MCAT over the summer, they only submit their primary to one "throw away" school when the application opens? Is this so that they do not waste money applying to schools that may not fall within their MCAT score?

Thanks in advance.

Your application gets put in the queue to get verified when you submit to at least one school. That process takes 3 or more weeks to get verified no matter what. That way, you'll be verified in a timely fashion, and then you can decide if you want to apply to more schools based on your MCAT, and you won't be starting from scratch in terms of timing.

Your application gets put in the queue to get verified when you submit to at least one school. That process takes 3 or more weeks to get verified no matter what. That way, you'll be verified in a timely fashion, and then you can decide if you want to apply to more schools based on your MCAT, and you won't be starting from scratch in terms of timing.

Thanks for the quick response. Theoretically, does this mean that applying to one school when the application opens and 10 schools two-three weeks later will not have a drastic effect (if any) on the timing of the application?

Thanks for the quick response. Theoretically, does this mean that applying to one school when the application opens and 10 schools two-three weeks later will not have a drastic effect (if any) on the timing of the application?

It won't have an effect on the timing of your verification. Then when you apply to those 10 schools, they'll get your verified AMCAS right away.