This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vettomorrow

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I’m in 2nd year undergrad and until this point I’ve been preparing to apply to vet school.

I’ve recently had a change of heart, and am considering applying to UofT in my third year.

I have a question!

-for FCEs, do they take off the lowest one per year (total 3) or is it the lowest 3 across all years, even if they’re in one semester?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Also, you wouldn’t want to apply to only one med school. If you’re new to the med school game and what’s required, I would check out google and familiarize yourself with the process and such.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Oy there’s a lot going on here.

I don’t know what FCE is, I’m sure we can come back to that.

You will need to take the MCAT which you probably know, as well as gain clinical exposure and the rest of the extracurriculars.

You also have to realize this now: you should apply to about 15 Med schools, maybe more depending on your GPA and MCAT score. It’s immensely competitive and applying to one school only is a folly.

You need to see a career advisor and do a lot of reading around this forum to get your plan together if this is something you’re serious about.

Okay a bit of clarification (thanks for the replies everyone)

-UofT as in the University of Toronto (in Canada)

For UofT:
-their non-academic requirements include (a) 3 refs, (b) brief personal essay, and (c) background info (extracurriculars, etc.) form.
-their academic requirements include (a) MCAT (this isn't competitive - you just need 9/10 on each section to be considered) and (b) GPA of 3.6 (but 3.8 is competitive -- right now I'm at about that).

I'm not so worried about the non-academic stuff as I've done tons of work and clubs and etc. and I will continue to

My question had to do with the academics ( - anyone out there go to UofToronto med who knows the answer?). For vet school, they look at 8 prerequisites and your last 2 semesters. So I worked really hard to get a 4.0 for those 8 and the semesters to get into vet school. Now with UofToronto med, they look at 2 prereqs and your cumulative GPA. For me thats not so hot, since, I sacrificed / didn't care to work hard for some courses so that I could focus on doing well in the ones that would matter for vet school. As such my cumulative GPA is brought down.

I suppose I should contact the admin at UofT.

Anyone know anything about Canadian Med Schools?

Okay a bit of clarification (thanks for the replies everyone)

-UofT as in the University of Toronto (in Canada)

For UofT:
-their non-academic requirements include (a) 3 refs, (b) brief personal essay, and (c) background info (extracurriculars, etc.) form.
-their academic requirements include (a) MCAT (this isn't competitive - you just need 9/10 on each section to be considered) and (b) GPA of 3.6 (but 3.8 is competitive -- right now I'm at about that).

I'm not so worried about the non-academic stuff as I've done tons of work and clubs and etc. and I will continue to

My question had to do with the academics ( - anyone out there go to UofToronto med who knows the answer?). For vet school, they look at 8 prerequisites and your last 2 semesters. So I worked really hard to get a 4.0 for those 8 and the semesters to get into vet school. Now with UofToronto med, they look at 2 prereqs and your cumulative GPA. For me thats not so hot, since, I sacrificed / didn't care to work hard for some courses so that I could focus on doing well in the ones that would matter for vet school. As such my cumulative GPA is brought down.

I suppose I should contact the admin at UofT.

Anyone know anything about Canadian Med Schools?
The MCAT isn't scored the same way anymore. As of 2015, each section is graded from 118 - 132, making the score range from 472 - 528. IF they convert the score to the new one, then you should aim for a 503 - 508, with an even score. But because it's been three years since the new MCAT, these percentages have probably gone up half a standard deviation.

Also, there's a difference between "we CONSIDER your application" and "we will INTERVIEW YOU based on your application." The former, to me, seems like you made it passed a screening tool for human eyes to look into. Case-in-point, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine screened at 97th percentile MCAT (when I applied with the old MCAT, which was around a 35,) and at least a 3.85 GPA. If you made it passed what they "considered" competitive via the screen, they'd look at the whole application. However, there is no shortage of people with a 4.0 GPA and a >97th percentile MCAT applying. So just because you were considered doesn't mean you were selected for interview. But this was in the good ol' US of A.

Try browsing through premed101, it is the Canadian equivalent (somewhat) of SDN where discussions are primarily focused on Canadian med schools. You should be able to find people that are more accustomed to the Canadian med-admission process - which is quite a bit different from the U.S. admission process - who would be willing to share some wisdom on your journey. :)

Reactions: 1 users