Switching from Pre-med to Pre-dent?! Has anyone realistically done this successfully?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dent_to_be18

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! So I just received my MCAT score on Tues and I scored in the 10th percentile!! :( It was really devastating for me considering this is the third time I've taken this exam with **minimal** improvement. Nonetheless, I took a practice DAT and I made a 20 and that was with little preparation. Because of this I am considering switching to dental because I am simply exhausted with trying to get into medical school. I graduated a psych major, completed pre-reqs then a Master's program and still no luck. My GPA is a 3.6, but unfortunately most of my clinical experience is medical based. So if I want to apply this cycle I'd have to quickly find a dentist to shadow. Should I pursue dental school? FYI: I am NOT PURSUING dentistry because I believe it is easier, simply because I am getting older (I'm 27) and I feel like I am chasing a dream that is out of reach. Additionally, I recently became pregnant and I would get into my career sooner. So, does anyone have or know a success story. Thank you all!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I would recommend shadowing before going any further. You can't possibly know that you want to pursue dentistry because you have done above average on a practice exam.

Reactions: 7 users
To me it seems like you are planning on switching to dental JUST because you can do better on DAT? You have to be honest with yourself and see if dentistry suits you because it's not a profession for everyone. You have months before next cycle so if you really are considering switching, you should know what the profession is about first (by shadowing, researching about the profession, talking to dentists, etc).

Just my two cents, good luck.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
All other things equal, if you're taking the MCAT and scoring in the 10th percentile, you're going to take the DAT and score in the 10th percentile. Unless you're just better at the style of the DAT questions, I suppose.

The MCAT is a harder/bigger test, but the same types of people take both tests. So you'll score in the same general percentile. Or at least, I would think that was the case.

Either way, people have certainly made the switch. There are lots of stories on here of that happening.

received my MCAT score...scored in the 10th percentile!!..this is the third time I've taken this exam with **minimal** improvement...took a practice DAT and I made a 20 and that was with little preparation. Because of this I am considering switching to dental

FYI: I am NOT PURSUING dentistry because I believe it is easier

Based on your own post - isn't it exactly why you're pursuing dentistry? I'm not judging, but let's be honest about what this is.

With that said, there's nothing wrong with checking out if dentistry is right for you. I also switched from pursuing medical school to dental school. Start shadowing and form an opinion on the field first - if it appeals to you, then start pursuing it seriously by planning to shadow further, take the DAT, get your application material together, etc.

Reactions: 5 users
Who told you the Dat is easy?

Practice test 2007 is known to be somewhat easy!

I would say how about you take the 2009 test and see if you can score 20, then we can say yeah you probably can score in the 20 and above.

I am sorry for your low scores in MCAT test, but didn't you take practice tests before going to retake a third time didn't your scores tell you, you weren't prpared yet.

If being a doctor is your dream but you can't achieve it because of this test, but you still have high gpa

then maybe you have other issues

test anxiety, you are not preparing well?

What is it?

What's the problem?

Don't feel like the MCAT defeated you!

If your dream is to be a doctor, fight again!

But if you just want to be in the medical field.

Then, welcome, I encourage you to go the DAT forum and read people breakdowns so you can learn how to prepare like them.

Start here

Best of luck!

Here is a beautiful story

A person I know and shadowed, wanted to be a doctor
couldn't get in
He went to dentistry
Loved it

Fast forward years of work and devotion!
Now he is an oral surgeon.

He is a doctor after all! and no he was around 29, so older than you when he got in dental school.

But the pregnancy is gonna be a problem for now! Meaning it will be harder for you with a kid, but not impossible!

Don't give up!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
70% of the students in my dental school were pre-meds who became pre-dents. The rest were just dental assistants or hygienists who decided to become dentists.

You should take a basic dental anatomy course and then bang your head against a wall for ever thinking of going dental - current D1.

J/K. However, starting dental school and going through waxing/dental anatomy made me realize that there really is a reason that dental schools want you to stare at the back of the dentist's head for over 100 hours, you better make darn sure you like it. The money is for everyone, but getting there and doing the work, is an extremely small niche of people; we really are cut from a different cloth. I could have done med or dental if I wanted, dental is the better route for me for numerous reasons, but I would really caution anyone from just willy nilly switching to dental.

Reactions: 1 user
You should take a basic dental anatomy course and then bang your head against a wall for ever thinking of going dental - current D1.

J/K. However, starting dental school and going through waxing/dental anatomy made me realize that there really is a reason that dental schools want you to stare at the back of the dentist's head for over 100 hours, you better make darn sure you like it. The money is for everyone, but getting there and doing the work, is an extremely small niche of people; we really are cut from a different cloth. I could have done med or dental if I wanted, dental is the better route for me for numerous reasons, but I would really caution anyone from just willy nilly switching to dental.
what were the reasons?

It's really late for this cycle, especially if you have not shadowed a dentist (100 or more hours recommended) or taken the DAT yet.

age, spouse, 4 years for DDS, older brothers in medicine, rat race of medicine. the worst job coming from dental school is a general dentist, that job/lifestyle/setting beats 95% of all medical fields, and the 5% costs way too much time/stress/years of your life, etc. It's def a younger man's game as well. Plus dentists are by far happier and nicer people

Many people switch between the two. It's not that difficult. I switched from pre-dent to pre-med and will be attending medical school next fall.
Yes the DAT is substantially easier but i wouldn't choose Dentistry just based on that.

You can switch the "pre-" mental status every day of the week and, as a bonus, twice on Sunday.

Members don't see this ad :)
age, spouse, 4 years for DDS, older brothers in medicine, rat race of medicine. the worst job coming from dental school is a general dentist, that job/lifestyle/setting beats 95% of all medical fields, and the 5% costs way too much time/stress/years of your life, etc. It's def a younger man's game as well. Plus dentists are by far happier and nicer people

Meh, Family docs make a lot more, have a lot less debt and have similar lifestyles with a lot less back-breaking work.
It does take 3 years more of training, for which you are paid, unlike most dental residents.

For OP: it's too late to apply this cycle. The decision to take on hundreds of thousands of dollars to pursue any professional career should not be made on a whim.

Meh, Family docs make a lot more, have a lot less debt and have similar lifestyles with a lot less back-breaking work.
It does take 3 years more of training, for which you are paid, unlike most dental residents.

For OP: it's too late to apply this cycle. The decision to take on hundreds of thousands of dollars to pursue any professional career should not be made on a whim.
"Surveys conducted by the AAFP show that family physicians less than seven years out of residency earn an average of $165,000 per year. In some areas, especially rural settings, those who practice maternity care can expect to earn an average of $5,000-10,000 more per year in net income."
IK you're not on the dent bandwagon clearly, but your statement seems pretty false. Not to mention surveys of dentists income is based on 40 or less hrs per week while the med ones are 45-50 (IIRC). Good thing high dental costs are irrelevant to me since I am not someone who will be in debt at an extremely expensive school. OP I would choose dental if schooling costs were <190 probably and if you are capable of specializing.

"Surveys conducted by the AAFP show that family physicians less than seven years out of residency earn an average of $165,000 per year. In some areas, especially rural settings, those who practice maternity care can expect to earn an average of $5,000-10,000 more per year in net income."
IK you're not on the dent bandwagon clearly, but your statement seems pretty false. Not to mention surveys of dentists income is based on 40 or less hrs per week while the med ones are 45-50 (IIRC). Good thing high dental costs are irrelevant to me since I am not someone who will be in debt at an extremely expensive school. OP I would choose dental if schooling costs were <190 probably and if you are capable of specializing.

Medscape: 209k family medicine
Medscape Physician Compensation Report 2016

ADA: 132k for employed dentists. Closer to family med for practice owners (figure more debt)
http://www.ada.org/~/media/ADA/Science and Research/HPI/Files/HPIData_SDPI_2015.xlsx?la=en

You can make arrangements to work less than 5 days a week as a physician.

ADA: 132k for employed dentists. Closer to family med for practice owners (figure more debt)
http://www.ada.org/~/media/ADA/Science and Research/HPI/Files/HPIData_SDPI_2015.xlsx?la=en

187 for ADA but yea this all comes down to which report you choose I guess. And those again are much less hours than family practice hours on average lol

187 for ADA but yea this all comes down to which report you choose I guess. And those again are much less hours than family practice hours on average lol
Also keep in mind that private practice dentists can underestimate what they actually earn. Hence, they will report a lower figure.

Last edited by a moderator:

btw for the under 40 med report I saw on the DO forum for all specialties, lots of specialties make <200k and that's including residency. Derm only at 300 (and apparently the smartest folks go in there for that lifestyle). I think most people would be happy with dent if they keep debt <300. Too bad I'm gunning as if I was in med school so it's irrelevant to me

If you took an exam and got a good grade, you're switching because it's easier.

Why do they underestimate?
As a business you can write off a ton on your taxes and significantly reduce the amount of $ you make on paper. Not to mention some businesses do cash only.

Yea, pre-med to pre-dent is a fine switch. Some people here like to think they are so different but really they are quite similar. Just be sure to shadow and understand some of the differences between the 2 choices.

I know at least 700 dental students who did that. Jk, but basically every current dental student I know was pre-med all the way up to the semester before they applied.