This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fisher123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
NBME CBSE coming soon in 2 days.... Any last minute tips? Any fellow comrades?

Members don't see this ad.

yes...i will be taking it tomorrow for the first time. Hope it's easier than Uworld bc Uworld has been kicking my ass.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey do you guys know if we don't click continue to move on to the next section if anything will happen? I know you don't get a bathroom break and I need to conserve time haha. I don't want the test to autoexit or something

I believe that the timer for the next section begins immediately after the popup shows to end the section. So If you go without clicking it for a minute and then decide to click it, you will only have 59 minutes for the next section. I only tried this once but for 15 sec before going to next section, and those 15 sec were deducted. I would guess it would not log you out but that time would still be lost.

So yea...that test felt a bit rougher than I expected

Now that you've taken the test, any advice for us who haven't? Anything you wish you had done, spent less time on, studied more, etc.?

Reactions: 1 user
Now that you've taken the test, any advice for us who haven't? Anything you wish you had done, spent less time on, studied more, etc.?

Pathoma, UWorld, First Aid. Start with Pathoma and go through the book and videos then do uworld and FA. there were a ton of questions that came out of nowhere though so even if you use those 3 sources well you'll still see questions you've never seen before.

Members don't see this ad :)
If we do end up finding our scores today, good luck to everyone waiting for them!

well, like stated above, you need to know FA, Pathoma, and UWorld. That's basically all you need. I started Pathoma first and then I did FA alongside Uworld on random question blocks.

When I find out my score... Hopefully today. I'll tell you if my "method" worked. But basically all that was stated above. Pathoma, FA, Uworld and Goljan

I started with Pathoma 1x. Then for the second round of Pathoma started correlating it to FA while also reading the relevant physio/anatomy. Start Uworld asap. It is a fantastic learning tool and do not get discouraged by your Uworld score. Uworld will help you focus your studying for biochem, behav sci, pharm.

Good luck to you.

Last edited:
Are the Pathoma videos enough, or would you guys say that reading through the book is also necessary?

Well.. Not as bad as I thought it would go... Not as good as I wanted it to go.. 58. Retaking in July.
Does anyone know how long it took for SD and mean to be released?

Supposely in 1 week.

Are the Pathoma videos enough, or would you guys say that reading through the book is also necessary?

Not enought... FA and U world are indispensable

Does anyone know how long it took for SD and mean to be released?
Couple people in the country didn't get to take the exam due to unforeseen closure of prometric centers due to weather and they will be taking their exam in March. We won't get distribution and stats until they take it.

68. I was somewhat ok with this score until I talked to the OMFS program director and she told me 75 is the minimum they look at, and that both residents accepted this year each posted 90+ on the CBSE. It's cool, I didn't want to do OMS anyway.

68. I was somewhat ok with this score until I talked to the OMFS program director and she told me 75 is the minimum they look at, and that both residents accepted this year each posted 90+ on the CBSE. It's cool, I didn't want to do OMS anyway.

Is 90+ always what they take, or was this just a particularly strong year?

I started with Pathoma 1x. Then for the second round of Pathoma started correlating it to FA while also reading the relevant physio/anatomy. Start Uworld asap. It is a fantastic learning tool and do not get discouraged by your Uworld score. Uworld will help you focus your studying for biochem, behav sci, pharm. Don't feel like you need to go through all of Uworld either. I only ended up going through about 40% of it. Good luck to you.
How long did you study for this? Im assuming you are also balancing studying for NBME with dental school courses/clinic?

Would you suggest I go through FA first, then Pathoma, then together?

Since the Uworld has time restrictions (30 days/90 days/etc) would it be wiser to get that closer to the exam date (~2-3 mo out)?

Crazy considering a 90 is roughly equal to 250 on the USMLE. What program was this?

Crazy considering a 90 is roughly equal to 250 on the USMLE. What program was this?
I'm curious as well. Looking at the ***OFFICIAL*** 2016 OMFS Match Results thread, we can rule out Mayo and Parkland.
Program Matched: Parkland
Dental School Attended: USC
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2016
International Student (yes/no): no
NBME scores: 7o+
Class Ranking/Size: top 5%
Externship(s)/where: USC, Parkland, UAB, LSUNO
Research: One project published, a few poster presentations. Nothing amazing.
Extracurriculars: Many
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 19/13/11/11

Very excited. Also have the best co-residents, I couldn't have hand picked a better group!
Program Matched: Mayo Clinic
Dental School Attended: UConn
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2016
International Student (yes/no): No
NBDE Part I / NBME scores: 80+
Class Ranking/Size: No rank/35
Externship(s)/where: UNC, Pitt, Mayo
Research: JOMS publication, AAOMS poster presentation
Extracurriculars: Many
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 20/13/12/12

How long did you study for this? Im assuming you are also balancing studying for NBME with dental school courses/clinic?

Would you suggest I go through FA first, then Pathoma, then together?

Since the Uworld has time restrictions (30 days/90 days/etc) would it be wiser to get that closer to the exam date (~2-3 mo out)?

I'd suggest do at least 1 run through Pathoma first. Then dive into the beast that is First Aid. Re-watch particular Pathoma videos here and there in areas you feel deficient in. There were some sections I re-listened to at least 5-6 times. You may think you have a concept down, but you'll be surprised as to how easily things just drift out of your head. For me, while I still watched Pathoma videos a lot, FA became my go-to resource and the Pathoma book itself didn't get used much towards the end. But that Pathoma book is critical to getting through all the Pathoma videos. Preparing for this exam is all about repetition. UWorld makes studying efficient/focused and I cannot emphasize its importance enough.

Really when it comes down to it, study however you feel comfortable. Just know that FA, Pathoma, UWorld are your key resources. Good luck bud.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
OHSU in Portland. I had a meeting with Dr. Hughes who is the new director. Apparently, it's due to the medical school not really being comfortable fast tracking DENTISTS through medical school so she wants to make sure all residents essentially kill the USMLE.

I'd suggest do at least 1 run through Pathoma first. Then dive into the beast that is First Aid. Re-watch particular Pathoma videos here and there in areas you feel deficient in. There were some sections I re-listened to at least 5-6 times. You may think you have a concept down, but you'll be surprised as to how easily things just drift out of your head. For me, while I still watched Pathoma videos a lot, FA became my go-to resource and the Pathoma book itself didn't get used much towards the end. But that Pathoma book is critical to getting through all the Pathoma videos. Preparing for this exam is all about repetition. UWorld makes studying efficient/focused and I cannot emphasize its importance enough.

So, I took the CBSE twice. First time around I scored low 60. Second time around, was tougher to prepare for since it was during clinic/school, but having been through it once helps immensely if you focus your studying in the right areas. For me is was Physio and Pharm that I needed to pay particular attention to. Scored a low 80 this time around. I barely went to any class, but luckily grades did not suffer. I got UWorld 1 month out both times, but that is up to you. Like I mentioned earlier, do not feel like you need to get through the entire question bank.

Really when it comes down to it, study however you feel comfortable. Just know that FA, Pathoma, UWorld are your key resources. Good luck bud.
Low 80s? Dude congrats. Have a great time in whatever residency you like!! :) And I agree with your assessment. I will probably be taking the exam again and I already know how I am going to study differently.

OHSU in Portland. I had a meeting with Dr. Hughes who is the new director. Apparently, it's due to the medical school not really being comfortable fast tracking DENTISTS through medical school so she wants to make sure all residents essentially kill the USMLE.
Incredible... I was thinking a 70 would be a safe number but it seems this process is more competitive than I initially thought.

Ended up getting low 80's. Pathoma, First Aid, UWorld. SketchyMicro's worth it.

Don't be cheap, buy Pathoma.

Reactions: 1 users
Man congratulations everyone! I got a 77 and this was my first time taking it. I Was happy with my score, but seeing how many people scored into the 80s here makes me think I should consider a retake. My rank isn't too hot either (I just made the cutoff for top 30%)

Man congratulations everyone! I got a 77 and this was my first time taking it. I Was happy with my score, but seeing how many people scored into the 80s here makes me think I should consider a retake. My rank isn't too hot either (I just made the cutoff for top 30%)
I think it is just the people who will usually share their scores will be those who scored higher.

Incredible... I was thinking a 70 would be a safe number but it seems this process is more competitive than I initially thought.
It probably just comes down to which school in particular you want to go to. I think OHSU is an outlier.

Not happy with my score. First time taker and I scored a 63. I definitely will retake. I think, now I know how to focus my studying.