Taking MCAT earlier than planned

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cali96

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I planned on studying for my MCAT when I finish up the semester May 11. I was going to take an August 15-21 test date, giving me three full months to prepare. However, I would like to avoid a gap year if possible, and I know I am not competitive enough to apply in the latest wave. I am a junior in my spring semester with a cumulative 3.55 GPA, 3.49 BPCM, and an okay amount of volunteering (100 hours at a major hospital in Boston and 40 hours of shadowing a doctor down in Florida). I'm the type who needs to study very hard to do well, but am considering now MCAT prepping just 8 weeks and testing the week of July 9th. With my stats not being very competitive, should I not bother taking the August test and applying very late. Also, is July 9th test still too late with my stats? All advice is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

One last thing: can I apply without my MCAT score but say how I am taking it whenever?

Based on your GPA (unless you have a strong upward trend) and your lack of volunteering, I think a gap year or two would work better for you. Hospital volunteering is not the most altruistic of activities considering the other options that are out there.

You might have a chance at some schools if you get a ridiculously high MCAT score, but I think the rest of your application would hold you back. With your current profile, applying late will definitely hurt you.

You're still young, you can do something like AmeriCorps for a year or two. Hopefully some applications are still open.

Members don't see this ad :)
I planned on studying for my MCAT when I finish up the semester May 11. I was going to take an August 15-21 test date, giving me three full months to prepare. However, I would like to avoid a gap year if possible, and I know I am not competitive enough to apply in the latest wave. I am a junior in my spring semester with a cumulative 3.55 GPA, 3.49 BPCM, and an okay amount of volunteering (100 hours at a major hospital in Boston and 40 hours of shadowing a doctor down in Florida). I'm the type who needs to study very hard to do well, but am considering now MCAT prepping just 8 weeks and testing the week of July 9th. With my stats not being very competitive, should I not bother taking the August test and applying very late. Also, is July 9th test still too late with my stats? All advice is greatly appreciated!

Hi, Cali. Your GPA is fine... maybe not Johns Hopkins, Cornell or Harvard fine, but with a decent MCAT score, you will be admitted to medical school within the US. By decent I mean 27-30/45. As an undergrad, I took the MCAT twice - the first attempt I nailed a 37 although I thought I could do better bc I had only taken the first semester of OChem. I figured I was at one of the most competitive schools in the country in the sciences (Cornell) so only good things could happen. My rationale was that after 2nd sem OChem, biochem and A&P2, I would score a 13+ (39+/45). Didn’t happen... I scored a 32... bad day, whatever. However, my 3.87 and 37 DID get me to the interview phase at the Weill

...at the Weill College(sorry, bad reception). Just keep in contact with the admissions personnel at the university. They know what is needed and they aren’t going to steer you wrong. But the message here is DO NOT SACRIFICE QUALITY FOR TIME! If you need more time to prepare, TAKE THAT TIME. If it means a year of no school due to a later MCAT and the next year’s admittance date, so be it. Anyway, I declined Cornell’s invitation for a second interview (the offer stage) after I decided to return to the military. Set your priorities - if I could do it over, I would have gone and life would have been significantly different. But now my opinions have changed and there are biases which, I feel, would no longer make me a good provider. Don’t change your track for anything bc if you do, Life will change you instead of you changing your life. Best of luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Based on your GPA (unless you have a strong upward trend) and your lack of volunteering, I think a gap year or two would work better for you. Hospital volunteering is not the most altruistic of activities considering the other options that are out there.

You might have a chance at some schools if you get a ridiculously high MCAT score, but I think the rest of your application would hold you back. With your current profile, applying late will definitely hurt you.

You're still young, you can do something like AmeriCorps for a year or two. Hopefully some applications are still open.

Actually with a ~3.6+ he can still do it provided he scores a 30/45 (avg of 10). As I said in my previous reply - not John’s Hopkins, Cornell, Harvard, Stanford, etc... but still a decent school that yields 95+% first time pass on the Boards.

Actually with a ~3.6+ he can still do it provided he scores a 30/45 (avg of 10). As I said in my previous reply - not John’s Hopkins, Cornell, Harvard, Stanford, etc... but still a decent school that yields 95+% first time pass on the Boards.

The sGPA is 3.49. But it's not just the GPA. It's that + lack of significant volunteering. Yes, with his/her current GPA, especially with a strong upward trend, OP could apply provided OP has better volunteering/ECs AND a good MCAT.

The new MSAR came out, and med school is more like the Hunger Games than ever before so it's best that OP have the absolute best application s/he can have.

Thank you for the honest reply. What type of volunteering is Americorps? Did a quick google search seems like it is not medical related. My GPA is upward trending but not significant.

Hi, Cali. Your GPA is fine... maybe not Johns Hopkins, Cornell or Harvard fine, but with a decent MCAT score, you will be admitted to medical school within the US. By decent I mean 27-30/45. As an undergrad, I took the MCAT twice - the first attempt I nailed a 37 although I thought I could do better bc I had only taken the first semester of OChem. I figured I was at one of the most competitive schools in the country in the sciences (Cornell) so only good things could happen. My rationale was that after 2nd sem OChem, biochem and A&P2, I would score a 13+ (39+/45). Didn’t happen... I scored a 32... bad day, whatever. However, my 3.87 and 37 DID get me to the interview phase at the Weill

...at the Weill College(sorry, bad reception). Just keep in contact with the admissions personnel at the university. They know what is needed and they aren’t going to steer you wrong. But the message here is DO NOT SACRIFICE QUALITY FOR TIME! If you need more time to prepare, TAKE THAT TIME. If it means a year of no school due to a later MCAT and the next year’s admittance date, so be it. Anyway, I declined Cornell’s invitation for a second interview (the offer stage) after I decided to return to the military. Set your priorities - if I could do it over, I would have gone and life would have been significantly different. But now my opinions have changed and there are biases which, I feel, would no longer make me a good provider. Don’t change your track for anything bc if you do, Life will change you instead of you changing your life. Best of luck.
Thank you! Definitely not looking at top tiered schools. Something middle of the line is perfectly fine. My top choice as of right now is Umass Medical in my home state. Also, you think with everything you said it applies to taking the test in August still. I am under the idea that not having an MCAT score when applying and saying how I plan to take it will cause schools to toss my application aside.

Thank you for the honest reply. What type of volunteering is Americorps? Did a quick google search seems like it is not medical related. My GPA is upward trending but not significant.

If you signup for the AmeriCorps website, you can actually see that there are a ton of health-related opportunities. AmeriCorps is basically a giant funding mechanism that non-profits can apply for and get cheap labor (such as hungry pre-meds).

Yes, you need clinical hours, but if you absolutely can only do one thing, it would be best for you to get in some activities where you are serving the needy since you've already shadowed and spent time in the hospital.

Thank you! Definitely not looking at top tiered schools. Something middle of the line is perfectly fine. My top choice as of right now is Umass Medical in my home state. Also, you think with everything you said it applies to taking the test in August still. I am under the idea that not having an MCAT score when applying and saying how I plan to take it will cause schools to toss my application aside.

Are you URM?

Members don't see this ad :)
No I am not then. I’m caucasian.
In the world of medicine, UMass is a top tier school and you absolutely need more good ECs and a very high MCAT score considering your GPA. You probably also need some research. You might want to look through the UMass school specific thread to see what you need to bring to the table or pose your question there to see what current/incoming students think.

In the world of medicine, UMass is a top tier school and you absolutely need more good ECs and a very high MCAT score considering your GPA. You probably also need some research. You might want to look through the UMass school specific thread to see what you need to bring to the table or pose your question there to see what current/incoming students think.
will take a look, thank you

scores a 30/45 (avg of 10)

Those scores are no longer relevant as the scale is 472 to 528, 50th percentile being 500; most attribute a 30/31 with a 510/511 or so; 515 is considered very good, anything above 519ish is considered great.

Last edited:
Those scores are no longer relevant as the scale is 472 to 532, 50th percentile being 500; most attribute a 30/31 with a 510/511 or so; 515 is considered very good, anything above 519ish is considered great.
Those scores are also not relevant. The ranges are 472-528

I know several people with lower GPAs than yours that have been accepted into US medical schools (DO and MD) ... they had solid MCAT scores though. Don’t rush it and take it when you’re ready.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Also, what’s wrong with taking a gap year if it means a better medical school application? Gives you time to volunteer, gain clinical experience, a better MCAT score... sounds more than alright to me.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Also, what’s wrong with taking a gap year if it means a better medical school application? Gives you time to volunteer, gain clinical experience, a better MCAT score... sounds more than alright to me.
Did not mean to infer it was wrong. Just not my preference.

Honestly, I would not gamble this. I am ALL for ambition and difficult things and going against status quo, coming back strong, but this seems like a recipe for disaster.

1. Volunteering seems cursory and minimal; it is good clinical experience I'm sure because I also volunteer in a hospital in Boston but I feel like more hours in different departments and even in a different type of practice (health center, clinic) would greatly benefit your understanding of medicine and therefore help you in interviews.

2. GPA is below average for MD. Based on many people's experiences here and elsewhere, eight weeks is very little time to prepare unless you have an excellent track record of consistency and determination, which can be seen by a high GPA: it indicates keeping to a high standard over a sustained time period.

2. a. As a result of GPA, MCAT must probably be above average to counterbalance the sub average GPA. Being able to do this in eight weeks and score above a 510 would be remarkable but not impossible.

3. No mention of research? Non-clinical community outreach? Hobbies or interests?

So I would work my butt off in this gap year coming up to increase clinical exposure and hours, get active in some way with the local community (preferably, in something you are passionate about), and slowly, but steadily, studying rigorously for a 515+ MCAT score. All the while, find a job working in research or as a lab technician to get some exposure in academic medicine.

Now, all that being said, don't think taking a gap year is a failure. A 3.55 is VERY good period, and you have good premedical experience so far. But right now you can gamble and hope for MAYBE one acceptance or really come forth in the next year and become so good that everyone will forget about the GPA and look to you as a top-tier applicant who can kick serious butt and turn his game around.

Forget MCAT for now, recharge this summer, develop a FIRE gameplan that will make you stand out and kill the MCAT next year and get to pick from different schools to attend
Cheers!

P.S. BTW, I am only a pre-medical student like yourself and you should take EVERYTHING I say with a grain of salt and cross check it here on SDN, Reddit et cetera. Don't trust anyone on the internet: do your own research

Honestly, I would not gamble this. I am ALL for ambition and difficult things and going against status quo, coming back strong, but this seems like a recipe for disaster.

1. Volunteering seems cursory and minimal; it is good clinical experience I'm sure because I also volunteer in a hospital in Boston but I feel like more hours in different departments and even in a different type of practice (health center, clinic) would greatly benefit your understanding of medicine and therefore help you in interviews.

2. GPA is below average for MD. Based on many people's experiences here and elsewhere, eight weeks is very little time to prepare unless you have an excellent track record of consistency and determination, which can be seen by a high GPA: it indicates keeping to a high standard over a sustained time period.

2. a. As a result of GPA, MCAT must probably be above average to counterbalance the sub average GPA. Being able to do this in eight weeks and score above a 510 would be remarkable but not impossible.

3. No mention of research? Non-clinical community outreach? Hobbies or interests?

So I would work my butt off in this gap year coming up to increase clinical exposure and hours, get active in some way with the local community (preferably, in something you are passionate about), and slowly, but steadily, studying rigorously for a 515+ MCAT score. All the while, find a job working in research or as a lab technician to get some exposure in academic medicine.

Now, all that being said, don't think taking a gap year is a failure. A 3.55 is VERY good period, and you have good premedical experience so far. But right now you can gamble and hope for MAYBE one acceptance or really come forth in the next year and become so good that everyone will forget about the GPA and look to you as a top-tier applicant who can kick serious butt and turn his game around.

Forget MCAT for now, recharge this summer, develop a FIRE gameplan that will make you stand out and kill the MCAT next year and get to pick from different schools to attend
Cheers!

P.S. BTW, I am only a pre-medical student like yourself and you should take EVERYTHING I say with a grain of salt and cross check it here on SDN, Reddit et cetera. Don't trust anyone on the internet: do your own research
Actually, you hit the nail on the head in regards to what my adviser told me yesterday