taking post bacc classes + studying for MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emeazy16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just graduated this May and now work as a research assistant full time (40 hrs/week) at a hospital. I'm taking evening classes in a few weeks b/c I have to finish physics 1 & 2 (w/ labs) and biochemistry.

Is taking physics 2 and biochem at the same time (spring 17) a bad move? I was hoping to take the MCAT right after I finished the spring semester, but maybe it would be better to study for the MCAT over the summer and juts take another gap year?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The MCAT deserves a lot of respect and a lot of time. I made the mistake of taking it in the spring with 2 science classes while working during the semester and didn't do as well as when I put 100% of my time and effort into preparing for it. Lots of people at my undergrad take it late May (post-finals @ my school).

edit - I'm a little confused as to what you're asking. Are you asking when you should take the MCAT or if it's a poor decision to take phys 1 and 2 with biochem? Sorry if I'm just dumb.

The MCAT deserves a lot of respect and a lot of time. I made the mistake of taking it in the spring with 2 science classes while working during the semester and didn't do as well as when I put 100% of my time and effort into preparing for it. Lots of people at my undergrad take it late May (post-finals @ my school).

edit - I'm a little confused as to what you're asking. Are you asking when you should take the MCAT or if it's a poor decision to take phys 1 and 2 with biochem? Sorry if I'm just dumb.

Not a dumb question at all..I apologize for not being very clear in my original question.. My question was a little bit of both - whether it was a bad decision to take phys 2 w/ biochem and indirectly if taking the MCAT right after the spring semester would be ok..but based on your question (and being realistic with myself), studying for the MCAT and taking 2 science classes while having a full time job is a recipe for disaster.. Guess I'll be taking another gap year ;)