Taking the DAT during the middle of a SMP semester. Bad idea?

Started by Ollivander
Tags Tags
dat smp
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Ollivander

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Would it be a bad idea to take the DAT during the middle of semester while enrolled in a SMP? It'd be on a Saturday, but I thought I'd ask before considering it.
 
I'd have to say it depends on the individual as well as courseload/rigor of the said courses. But in general, it'd probably be better to study for it and take it while not enrolled in a full courseload.
 
I'd have to say it depends on the individual as well as courseload/rigor of the said courses. But in general, it'd probably be better to study for it and take it while not enrolled in a full courseload.
Thanks for the reply! I figured it'd be a better idea to wait for a break, but I'm sort of pressed for time. I just wanted to see if it can be done without running into serious time management issues and/or if it's a bad idea. I'll be taking a heavy load of biology courses during the first semester of my SMP, and biology is my worst DAT related subject. So I thought that might help being in the middle of those courses. I also don't currently feel prepared to take it, and that's why I want to push it back until mid-way through the semester. That way I can take it, and if I score poorly I can take it again over winter break.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for the reply! I figured it'd be a better idea to wait for a break, but I'm sort of pressed for time. I just wanted to see if it can be done without running into serious time management issues and/or if it's a bad idea. I'll be taking a heavy load of biology courses during the first semester of my SMP, and biology is my worst DAT related subject. So I thought that might help being in the middle of those courses. I also don't currently feel prepared to take it, and that's why I want to push it back until mid-way through the semester. That way I can take it, and if I score poorly I can take it again over winter break.
Why don't you take it once your SMP ends?
 
Some individuals can get away with taking it during the semester. However, most would benefit waiting to take it after the SMP. Take it when you are ready, and only once. You are better off scoring high on your first try and applying two or three weeks late.
 
In case I need a retake. Also next summer is when I plan on applying, and I want to submit within those first two weeks of the application opening.
Early is considered to be applying by August. Makes no difference if you apply in June versus July. I took mine on June 13th following graduation, but try to e-submit before then. You don't want to go in with the mentality of taking it twice.