Taking the DAT with a learning disability and ADHD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TrueSon1839

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello folks!

I've been lurking for a while and hopefully this post will help out any pre-dent students on here that are in a similar situation.

This past Friday, I took the DAT and ended up doing pretty well. I started studying in late May with DAT/Math Destroyer, DAT Bootcamp, and Chad's Videos, but I don't want this post to be a breakdown.

Some background:
When I was in kindergarten, teachers noticed that I wasn't hitting certain developmental milestones. Naturally, appointments with child psychologists were scheduled and after the appropriate tests were conducted, six weeks later I was diagnosed ADHD and an associated learning disorder.

School has never been easy for me. Since I can remember, it has always seemed that I spent twice as much effort as my peers to get the same grades. Everyday is a battle to be productive and find success academically. Needless to say, when it came time to take the DAT I was extremely nervous.

I applied and submitted the DAT accommodations form (http://www.ada.org/~/media/ADA/Education and Careers/Files/dat_accommodation_request.ashx) and began studying in late May, with the test scheduled for Sep. 30th.

When I saw the score screen appear on Friday, I freaked out.

A good score on the DAT is achievable if you study a little bit every day, and do NOT allow yourself to be discouraged by a LD, ADHD, naysayers, or other obstacles. If I can do it, you can too.

If you have any questions about the accommodations process feel free to DM me! I want to be a resource for others who are in a similar situation!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I was diagnosed with CAPD (Central Audio Processing Disorder) and mild ADD when I was five. Had to do occupational therapy and wear a special headset so I could hear my teachers for a few years and still struggled through grade school, and to a lesser extent high school. I doubt I had it as hard as you, but I'm still all too familiar with that super-annoying feeling when you put in tons of studying (usually in a giant, disjointed fashion) just to get by. The takeaway point of my message is to know you aren't alone, you (trueson1839) and whoever else might be reading this. Good luck and knock em dead at the interview! :)

Reactions: 1 user