Temple Post-Bacc ACMS 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have yet to get a single email from temple lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Question: I have a 511 MCAT but 125 on the Physical Sciences Section. I am planing on retaking the mcat this spring. Should I contact ACMS and let them know?

II for next Wednesday as well! MCAT 511, sGPA 3.08, cGPA 3.49; app complete end of January
They only had next Wednesday as an option, but I have an interview for Penn State that day- should I contact them and ask for the next date? Does anyone know how often they have interview days?

Reactions: 1 users
II for next Wednesday as well! MCAT 511, sGPA 3.08, cGPA 3.49; app complete end of January
They only had next Wednesday as an option, but I have an interview for Penn State that day- should I contact them and ask for the next date? Does anyone know how often they have interview days?
I would contact them. I’m sure they’ll be understanding.

The 15th is a Thursday! In case you got your days mixed up and your interviews don’t actually end up on the same day!

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats to everyone who got IIs! Also have your portals been modified recently (under the apply online tab in the top right corner of the portal)? Mine was last modified the day after I was complete early feb

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to everyone who got IIs! Also have your portals been modified recently (under the apply online tab in the top right corner of the portal)?

Mine was last modified the day after I was complete early feb
Mine was modified like 2 weeks after I was complete. No II yet though

Applying here with a 3.5 cgpa and 3.3 sgpa, 509 mcat.. OOS student so hopefully I have a chance. Does anyone know what the deposit is for this program?

Applying here with a 3.5 cgpa and 3.3 sgpa, 509 mcat.. OOS student so hopefully I have a chance. Does anyone know what the deposit is for this program?
I think you have as good of a shot as anyone else. But you have zero chance if you don’t apply.

Just applied with a 3.53 cgpa and 3.35 sgpa, 33 mcat (old, will have to retake), nontrad applicant with couple years research experience, currently working at Temple as a research coordinator. Hoping for the best!

Reactions: 3 users
Question: I have a 511 MCAT but 125 on the Physical Sciences Section. I am planing on retaking the mcat this spring. Should I contact ACMS and let them know?
I spoke with them about this and they said that since your overall is above the 508, they may overlook the sub-126 score. But I would call or email them about your concerns to get it straight from source for reassurance.

I spoke with them about this and they said that since your overall is above the 508, they may overlook the sub-126 score. But I would call or email them about your concerns to get it straight from source for reassurance.

Just to clarify, is this regarding the conditional acceptance to their med school or for an interview invite? I believe the “higher than 126” subsection is only for the conditional acceptance after the post bac year.

Just to clarify, is this regarding the conditional acceptance to their med school or for an interview invite? I believe the “higher than 126” subsection is only for the conditional acceptance after the post bac year.
This is response I got from them regarding the conditional acceptance: “That would be up to the committee, there has been people who scored below a 126 and still got into the program because of the other sections or how well they did in the postbac program. It is really case by case so it is hard to say.”

Yes, this is in regards to the conditional acceptance.

I contacted them and they told me it is not a hard requirement and they would accept a 125 so retaking is up to me.

received II a few days ago, will be withdrawing though so hope one of you gets it! Also does anyone know if there is a withdraw button on the application portal? or should I just email them

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone know about how many II they send out? I heard they usually get 300-400 applicants.

Does anyone know about how many II they send out? I heard they usually get 300-400 applicants.
I think I read somewhere that they only interview like 70-80 but don’t quote me on that.

I think I read somewhere that they only interview like 70-80 but don’t quote me on that.

Lets hope its at least 80 interviews and only 300 applicants this year

Are the programs comparable?
They are pretty different. Temple ACMS is a certificate program with a conditional acceptance where you take advanced sciences courses. RFU BMS is a master’s program where you take some of the courses that were part of the old M1 curriculum and if you get Bs or better, you’ll get a guaranteed interview at Chicago Medical School. They both serve the purpose helping you get into medical school but Temple has the conditional acceptance whereas RFU doesn’t.

They are pretty different. Temple ACMS is a certificate program with a conditional acceptance where you take advanced sciences courses. RFU BMS is a master’s program where you take some of the courses that were part of the old M1 curriculum and if you get Bs or better, you’ll get a guaranteed interview at Chicago Medical School. They both serve the purpose helping you get into medical school but Temple has the conditional acceptance whereas RFU doesn’t.

Yeah I actually just looked into it. It seems like Temple and Drexel (DPMS) are the remaining schools offering conditional acceptance through a Postbac/SMP, at least for allopathic schools.

Yeah I actually just looked into it. It seems like Temple and Drexel (DPMS) are the remaining schools offering conditional acceptance through a Postbac/SMP, at least for allopathic schools.
And Tulane ACLP has a really strong linkage with its medical school, where something like 16/18 students or more get accepted each year.

Also, I should add that Tulane ACLP requires you’ve been waitlisted at a US medical school in order to apply. DO or MD, doesn’t matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was a BCMS applicant and I had my interview about two weeks ago and they answered some of the above questions. The number of applicants they get goes up each year, and thus each year, the class is a bit bigger. For example, I think a couple years ago they had like 28 or so students in the ACMS, and this year they have like 34ish I think they said. For BCMS, they had like 15 two years ago, this year they had 20, etc. So I think for the most part, while they have somewhat of a quota, they will kind of make space for people they really want! They interview people theyre really interested in, so getting one is an accomplishment in and of itself! The linkage requirements also change yearly, so I wouldn't read/depend TOO much on what you've read online. I'm sure it'll be similar, but just so you're not surprised or blindsided if it changes...

Reactions: 2 users
I was a BCMS applicant and I had my interview about two weeks ago and they answered some of the above questions. The number of applicants they get goes up each year, and thus each year, the class is a bit bigger. For example, I think a couple years ago they had like 28 or so students in the ACMS, and this year they have like 34ish I think they said. For BCMS, they had like 15 two years ago, this year they had 20, etc. So I think for the most part, while they have somewhat of a quota, they will kind of make space for people they really want! They interview people theyre really interested in, so getting one is an accomplishment in and of itself! The linkage requirements also change yearly, so I wouldn't read/depend TOO much on what you've read online. I'm sure it'll be similar, but just so you're not surprised or blindsided if it changes...
What do you mean that the linkage requirements change yearly? Can you elaborate more?

How many programs does temple have is it just BSMS and ACMS or is there another pre health program?

What do you mean that the linkage requirements change yearly? Can you elaborate more?
Basically they said that the medical schools determine what the requirements are for linkages. So they might raise or lower scores or say you had to have an undergrad gpa of ____ and so on. Basically the post bac has little to no control over what the linkage reqs are, it is up to the med school and sometimes they readjust. Not anything like super substantial, but maybe instead of a 70th percentile mcat score they’ll want a 75th or instead of a 3.3 undergrad SGPA they’ll want a 3.4. That kinda thing. Or it could stay the same. It’s up to the med school, and during the interview they don’t even talk about linkages for that reason. They’re waiting for this year’s requirements. Make sense?

The good news is, they let you know pretty fast after the interview if you got in. I interviewed on a Thursday and found out that next Wednesday.

Basically they said that the medical schools determine what the requirements are for linkages. So they might raise or lower scores or say you had to have an undergrad gpa of ____ and so on. Basically the post bac has little to no control over what the linkage reqs are, it is up to the med school and sometimes they readjust. Not anything like super substantial, but maybe instead of a 70th percentile mcat score they’ll want a 75th or instead of a 3.3 undergrad SGPA they’ll want a 3.4. That kinda thing. Or it could stay the same. It’s up to the med school, and during the interview they don’t even talk about linkages for that reason. They’re waiting for this year’s requirements. Make sense?
I thought the point of this program is for people with lower GPAs and/or MCATs? So if the medical schools decide the cutoff for their school, it could be a pointless endeveaor for those of seeking programs to prove themselves for admission into medical school. That’s how I interpret this.

I thought the point of this program is for people with lower GPAs and/or MCATs? So if the medical schools decide the cutoff for their school, it could be a pointless endeveaor for those of seeking programs to prove themselves for admission into medical school. That’s how I interpret this.

I think it really all depends. For example, that is only for a linkage, in which case you wouldn’t have to go through the application process, interview, etc. That doesn’t mean you can’t apply to/get into medical school after completing the program. Temple has like a 97% matriculation rate or something like that into professional school coming out of their program. Most people don’t even link. I spoke to quite a few ACMS students during the interview day, and of the 7 or 8, only one was even considering linking. Also the cutoffs aren’t unreasonably high; they wouldn’t say you need a 3.8 undergrad SGPA or anything like that. It’s just things to keep in mind, not to discourage. Like I said, it could stay the same it could change, but yes, the temple program is not in complete control, most of it, from what I understood, is up to the med school.

I think it really all depends. For example, that is only for a linkage, in which case you wouldn’t have to go through the application process, interview, etc. That doesn’t mean you can’t apply to/get into medical school after completing the program. Temple has like a 97% matriculation rate or something like that into professional school coming out of their program. Most people don’t even link. I spoke to quite a few ACMS students during the interview day, and of the 7 or 8, only one was even considering linking. Also the cutoffs aren’t unreasonably high; they wouldn’t say you need a 3.8 undergrad SGPA or anything like that. It’s just things to keep in mind, not to discourage. Like I said, it could stay the same it could change, but yes, the temple program is not in complete control, most of it, from what I understood, is up to the med school.
Hmm. I guess it just has me concerned is all. Why don’t many people link to Temple? It’s a great school. It has a terrific hospital. That is also a little alarming. There’s another program I’m looking at, RFU BMS, and apparently once you’re accepted, MCAT and uGPA doesn’t matter anymore. All that matters is your grades in their program and the interview. As someone with a 3.0 GPA and a 513, I thought this program would provide me a route to medical school that others couldn’t offer. But then again, I haven’t been offered an interview. So it could be all for nothing.

Hmm. I guess it just has me concerned is all. Why don’t many people link to Temple? It’s a great school. It has a terrific hospital. That is also a little alarming. There’s another program I’m looking at, RFU BMS, and apparently once you’re accepted, MCAT and uGPA doesn’t matter anymore. All that matters is your grades in their program and the interview. As someone with a 3.0 GPA and a 513, I thought this program would provide me a route to medical school that others couldn’t offer. But then again, I haven’t been offered an interview. So it could be all for nothing.
I think a decent amount do link especially BCMS applicants. However, I do know that location was a large factor. A lot of the people I spoke to were from the west coast and wanted to go back west for school. Others wanted that glide year to just work and chill between the rigor of this program and the rigor of med school. Others didn’t have the undergraduate SGPA to link. And others do link. It all depends on who you talk to, but everyone loved the program and had nothing but positive things to say. The faculty seemed great and genuinely invested in helping you find the best fit for professional school. The linkage also has options (like 3.8 gpa in the program and you don’t have to take the MCAT for bcms students i think; 3.6 and you do and have to be in the 70th percentile). So again, whether the linkage would or wouldn’t work for you really depends on the school, because they don’t only link to temples med school, and your grades both in and potentially before the program. I would call and maybe they can give you more specifics. I’m also in a different program so my reqs are different.

I think a decent amount do link especially BCMS applicants. However, I do know that location was a large factor. A lot of the people I spoke to were from the west coast and wanted to go back west for school. Others wanted that glide year to just work and chill between the rigor of this program and the rigor of med school. Others didn’t have the undergraduate SGPA to link. And others do link. It all depends on who you talk to, but everyone loved the program and had nothing but positive things to say. The faculty seemed great and genuinely invested in helping you find the best fit for professional school. The linkage also has options (like 3.8 gpa in the program and you don’t have to take the MCAT for bcms students i think; 3.6 and you do and have to be in the 70th percentile). So again, whether the linkage would or wouldn’t work for you really depends on the school, because they don’t only link to temples med school, and your grades both in and potentially before the program. I would call and maybe they can give you more specifics. I’m also in a different program so my reqs are different.

I thought you were only accepted into the post-bacc program given that you meet the undergraduate GPA requirements for the link? I really don't see the purpose of the "conditional acceptance" if after matriculation they tell you that you are ineligible due to grades from before the program.

I thought you were only accepted into the post-bacc program given that you meet the undergraduate GPA requirements for the link? I really don't see the purpose of the "conditional acceptance" if after matriculation they tell you that you are ineligible due to grades from before the program.
This is exactly what I was thinking. That’s a lot of money to spend only to find out you can’t get in because of your uGPA, regardless of how you do in the ACMS.

I spoke with a girl in the program who didn’t have the gpa to link. Maybe it’s different this year or I don’t know but she told us she never even planned to link as she’s from Cali and wants to go to school there. But perhaps I misunderstood....

I spoke with a girl in the program who didn’t have the gpa to link. Maybe it’s different this year or I don’t know but she told us she never even planned to link as she’s from Cali and wants to go to school there. But perhaps I misunderstood....
This is exactly what I was thinking. That’s a lot of money to spend only to find out you can’t get in because of your uGPA, regardless of how you do in the ACMS.
Also a lot of people don’t do this just for the link. Like that’s only a fraction. People do it to improve their gpa and take extra classes and mcat prep. So that doesn’t bother everyone

Also, keep in mind, when I’m referring to linkages I’m not only referring to Temples med school. There are linkages with other schools depending on if you’re BCMS OR ACMS; the requirements are different for each school. So we could all be right in a sense; perhaps for temples linkage you need the gpa to even enter the program, but for another school that isn’t the case. Again the program I will be doing is different so while they told us a bit of everything, my knowledge is tailored to that.

Also, keep in mind, when I’m referring to linkages I’m not only referring to Temples med school. There are linkages with other schools depending on if you’re BCMS OR ACMS; the requirements are different for each school. So we could all be right in a sense; perhaps for temples linkage you need the gpa to even enter the program, but for another school that isn’t the case. Again the program I will be doing is different so while they told us a bit of everything, my knowledge is tailored to that.

Thank you for sharing this information! I will def look out for the linkage terms if I am given an II. I hope you hear good news this week :)