1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Temple Post-Bacc ACMS 2018

Discussion in 'Postbaccalaureate Programs' started by Rogue42, Aug 8, 2017.

1. sleeplessinct

Pre-Medical
    i was wondering bout the post bac programs...ow many differnt programs do they have?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. lolahola

Pre-Medical

I thought you were only accepted into the post-bacc program given that you meet the undergraduate GPA requirements for the link? I really don't see the purpose of the "conditional acceptance" if after matriculation they tell you that you are ineligible due to grades from before the program.

calvangri likes this.
  4. calvangri

7+ Year Member

This is exactly what I was thinking. That’s a lot of money to spend only to find out you can’t get in because of your uGPA, regardless of how you do in the ACMS.

5. I spoke with a girl in the program who didn’t have the gpa to link. Maybe it’s different this year or I don’t know but she told us she never even planned to link as she’s from Cali and wants to go to school there. But perhaps I misunderstood....

6. Also a lot of people don’t do this just for the link. Like that’s only a fraction. People do it to improve their gpa and take extra classes and mcat prep. So that doesn’t bother everyone

7. Also, keep in mind, when I’m referring to linkages I’m not only referring to Temples med school. There are linkages with other schools depending on if you’re BCMS OR ACMS; the requirements are different for each school. So we could all be right in a sense; perhaps for temples linkage you need the gpa to even enter the program, but for another school that isn’t the case. Again the program I will be doing is different so while they told us a bit of everything, my knowledge is tailored to that.

calvangri likes this.
  8. lolahola

Pre-Medical
    Thank you for sharing this information! I will def look out for the linkage terms if I am given an II. I hope you hear good news this week :)

9. calvangri

7+ Year Member

I think this forum is tense because you have so many people eager to get into medical school. I’ll tackle this issue if I’m offered an interview, at which point I will get the answers I’m seeking from the people deciding my fate. Thanks for chiming in though, you still had a lot of good information.

10. neuro1122

Are you sure you are talking about the correct program? I believe you are referring to Temple's CST ACHS and BCHS program- both of which are respected post-bacc programs, but do not offer the conditional acceptance to LKSOM. I am 100% confident that your grades in UG do NOT matter for ACMS/BCMS. All that matters is performance in the 1 year program.

Tennisgames and calvangri like this.
  11. Hmm perhaps I was thinking about ACHS. They do offer conditional linkages, this is what the site said:

For both ACHS and BCHS Students
    • US citizen or if not a US citizen, permanent resident or refugee/asylee
    • Cumulative undergraduate overall AMCAS GPA of 3.30 (not rounded) prior to matriculation into the CST Post-Bac program
    • Bachelor's Degree earned at an accredited US or Canadian University
    • If MCAT requirement not met or not taken
      • SAT total score of 1350 (combined Critical Reading and Math), with no section less than 600
      • ACT composite score of 30
      • If no SAT/ACT provided, GRE score at 75%
    • CST Post-Bac science and overall GPA at the end of the fall semester of at least 3.60 (not rounded) with no grade lower than B-
    • If an applicants has an institutional action, misdemeanor or felony, they will not be automatically excluded however the circumstances will be evaluated on a case by case basis by the LKSOM Office of Admissions
    ACHS Student(s), prior to matriculation in the CST Post-Bac program
    • Successful completion of the following coursework, 8 credits each of: biology with lab, general chemistry with lab, organic chemistry with lab, general physics with lab
      • Biochemistry may be used as a substitute for general or organic chemistry
    • Cumulative undergraduate science AMCAS GPA of 3.30 (not rounded) prior to matriculation into the CST Post-Bac program
    • Bachelor’s Degree earned at an accredited US or Canadian University
    • MCAT prior to matriculation into the CST Post-Bac program
      • No more than one MCAT
      • Minimum total of 501 with no section less than 125

The schedule I have which they gave on interview day has both BCHS and BCMS written on it, which is a bit confusing....sorry if I led anyone astray!

12. calvangri

7+ Year Member

I think this is just for getting into the program. They then direct you to each of the schools with a linkage, which is why @neuro1122 said that it sounds like you are talking about the BCHS/ACHS programs. The BCMS/ACMS programs only have the one linkage to LKSOM. Regardless, anyone that gets an interview to Temple's ACMS should just ask them directly if they have an uGPA requirement for matriculation into their medical school granted that you perform well and have the MCAT score. Chin up @harvek!

13. It was definitely for the linkage, it was under the linkage tab. But I am realizing now what you mean. For BCHS you have the option to link to more than just LKSOM, such as GW and SUNY, so perhaps that is the difference. My mistake!! Good luck on interviews!

14. medcrazy122

Did you find out via email/portal or snail mail?

ching2007sum likes this.
  15. StripedTie

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Anyone know if it is still worth it to submit an application at this point or would it be better to wait until the next cycle?

16. calvangri

7+ Year Member

Submit it dammit! You never know. Deadline isn’t here yet is it? Go for it.

17. calvangri

7+ Year Member

I don’t think so. I think they just started interviewing. They do BCMS first and then get to ACMS afterwards.

18. AsepticTechnique

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I hope not. Older threads seems to indicate that interviews go beyond June.

calvangri likes this.
  19. jeeeezus

Pre-Medical
    how do I know when my application's complete? It says "Completed" on the Application Listing page, but it says I have 4/5 of my Supplemental Items...the last item is my Application Fee (which doesn't say received, even though I paid it and the payment cleared in my account)

20. jeeeezus

Pre-Medical
    Did anyone else have this issue where it took a while for their payment to show up as "received"? Do you think I should email them?

21. jeeeezus

Pre-Medical
    Yes! Does that require anything on my part or was checking the box in the application sufficient? All my other materials (including LORs from AMCAS) are marked received. It's just my fee that is not marked

22. jeeeezus

Pre-Medical
    upload_2018-3-12_12-29-42.png

23. jeeeezus

Pre-Medical
    Ahh thank you. Yeah, I think I will email them anyway, just to make sure!

24. I found out through email

25. calvangri

7+ Year Member

I wonder if you should make a Temple CST BCHS thread so as to not confuse people with the information you’re providing since there is some deviation from the BCMS/ACMS.

NetterFan likes this.
  26. Well, I figured since I was asked directly, it wouldn't be that confusing, nor do I think that finding out via email vs snail mail is something that would be unique to my program. Almost nowhere operates using only snail mail anymore, so I think thats a fairly safe answer. As for the rest, I already acknowledged my previous mistakes so that should be pretty cleared up.

AsepticTechnique likes this.
  27. Also, to clarify, the programs aren’t THAT different; the only real deviation was whether or not your undergrad SGPA matters. Everything else I said about the medical school being what ultimately determines the conditions for acceptance and the potential for changes applies to any post bac program with a linkage, temple or otherwise. This was something that was consistent across all the schools i looked at. The programs and school collaborate, but the school has final say. If you think about it, it makes sense. Ofc the medical school is the one that determines what they want from their potential students. So hopefully now no one is still confused.

28. calvangri

7+ Year Member

I disagree. They are quite different. ACMS is taught by medical school faculty whereas ACHS isn’t. ACMS has a conditional acceptance with LKSOM, ACHS doesn’t. Since the ACMS program is taught by the LKSOM, the conditional acceptance is straightforward. This isn’t the case with the CST since it’s a different school altogether and only comes with a conditional interview offer. While they may both be taught at Temple, they are quite different programs. But it was just a suggestion, no need to take it personally. I figured you would rather talk to others either interested in the CST program or future classmates.

29. Actually as of the interview day that BCHS and ACHS had two weeks ago, ACHS does have conditional acceptance, not just interview, with LKSOM and a semester of it is taught by and at LKSOM. I'm not taking it personally, but you seem to be under the impression that I do not know/understand what I am talking about but I was literally at temple for the CST post bac interview two weeks ago where they discussed this with us. The main difference is that the BCHS and ACHS is for more than just pre-med studies, but all types of healthcare, so there are linkages with other kinds of schools as well, such as osteopathic and podiatric schools. If you go to the CST post-bac page and go to the linkage tab, its all written there, even gives the 2017-2018 requirements for conditional acceptance to LKSOM and some other schools.

#128 harvek, Mar 13, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2018
  30. calvangri

7+ Year Member

I guess my skepticism comes from what you’re saying not being mirrored by the CST website. If you could find it for me, that would greatly help my concerns.

31. lolahola

Pre-Medical
    On the website for CST it says for LKSOM
    • Early-decision option for successful candidates who fulfill all criterial, in the following year application cycle

So I guess the difference is CST students have to apply to LKSOM after they finish their post bac and would have to wait a year after completing the program before matriculating rather than directly starting medical school after the postbac

32. calvangri

7+ Year Member

This is from the CST website regarding the linkage to LKSOM:
    An Early Decision consideration interview will be guaranteed to Temple CST Post-Baccalaureate Prehealth students who achieve a SGPA of 3.8 in the post baccalaureate program and a total MCAT Score in the 80th percentile or higher with no score below the 60th percentile.

This sounds nothing like the conditional acceptance on the ACMS website:
    Successful completion of either BCMS or ACMS tracks requires students to achieve at least a 3.6 GPA in the Postbaccalaureate coursework. ACMS and BCMS students must also achieve a total MCAT score of at least 508, with no single section less than the 126.

I know this seems like I’m splitting hairs but if I’m going to be spending ~$60k, I want to know exactly what’s at hand.

#131 calvangri, Mar 13, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  33. neuro1122

Everyone relax lol both of Temple's programs are well-respected. ACMS/BCMS offers a conditional acceptance, Temple CST does not. ACMS/BCMS is a direct matriculation program, while the CST program provides a pathway toward LKSOM (and other schools like GW, PCOM, etc) if you hit the respective requirements of the school you choose to link to.

If you do well in either program, you have the chance to get into med school. I don't think they follow the same admissions, so I agree with @calvangri on that one- ACMS/BCMS is conducted via LKSOM adcom, while CST is conducted from the College of Science & Technology (the CST) of Temple's undergrad campus. To my knowledge, I believe that admissions on the ACMS/BCMS mirrors that of regular LKSOM admissions and they provide admission decisions via snail mail, but who knows if that has changed.

Relax, breathe and get your AMCAS ready if you're applying for this upcoming cycle. If not, get some killer ECs that set you apart.

calvangri likes this.
  34. lolahola

Pre-Medical

Wow the requirements are so much tougher for the CST just for an interview that’s crazy

calvangri likes this.

35. CRITERIA TO FULFILL CONDITIONAL ACCEPTANCE
    • MCAT minimum of 507 for LKSOM entering 2018 (this will increase to 508 starting with LKSOM entering 2019) and no individual section below 126
    • Final Post-Bac Program GPA of at least 3.60 (not rounded)
    • No grade in Post-Bac program lower than B-
    • Letter of Support from CST Post-Bac Program Director
    This is from the CST page AND at the interview two weeks ago, they literally discussed conditional acceptance with NO glide year for BCHS and ACHS. The program people said it to our faces. So again, I'm not making this up nor am I confused or misunderstanding. I just got into CST and was told once again that the information/orientation session to learn about conditional acceptances will be soon. I see where you saw the interview bit, but if you go down to Linkage Institutions and click LKSOM it talks about conditional acceptance. I understand you want to know, and I'm adamant about this because if ACHS having conditional acceptance changes things for you, I imagine you'd want to be aware of that. The interview is for early decision and while idk what the difference is, I do know that it is different from just the general conditional acceptance.

#134 harvek, Mar 13, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2018
  36. The CST program does do direct matriculation, and ACHS is conducted from LKSOM, they offered to take the interview students on a tour there to see the campus (it was raining so most didn't want to go). For LKSOM you do not have to wait a full year, you can go starting directly in the fall if you meet the requirements I was JUST there where they told us this.

37. lolahola

Pre-Medical

Congrats on your acceptance btw!

calvangri and harvek like this.
  38. Thanks!!

39. calvangri

7+ Year Member

I honestly can’t find it on the CST page. Could you provide a link to this exact statement on their website? If this is the case, I’ll retract my previous statements. It’s just that I can’t find it anywhere on their website.

Update: I just found it under the linkage tab and if you select LKSOM under linkage agreement and scroll way down to the bottom, it’s at the very end. My bad.

#138 calvangri, Mar 13, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  40. Right exactly, and that is what I was referring to earlier about the undergrad requirements. That was where I was wrong about the way the programs are different which I tried to acknowledge so as not to confuse anyone. But beyond those requirements, and a few other small things, the programs are extremely similar. Similar enough that BCHS and BCMS have the same schedule which they gave me during the interview and I assume maybe the same can be said for ACHS and ACMS.

41. mes0824

Pre-Medical
    Did anyone else's application just get modified?

42. lolahola

Pre-Medical
    mine did not

43. calvangri

7+ Year Member

So wait, there are conditional requirements to the conditional acceptance? This IS different from the ACMS then? I’m so confused at this point.

44. calvangri

7+ Year Member

Mine wasn’t.

45. Basically in order to be accepted into ACHS you have to have a certain GPA and MCAT score if you've taken it. That sounds unreasonable, but the requirements to get in are below the average scores for accepted students to LKSOM so you're doing the program to improve and get a better MCAT score. Then once you are in, there are GPA and MCAT requirements that you must get and maintain in order to matriculate into LKSOM in the fall of 2019.

ACHS Student(s), prior to matriculation in the CST Post-Bac program
    • Successful completion of the following coursework, 8 credits each of: biology with lab, general chemistry with lab, organic chemistry with lab, general physics with lab
      • Biochemistry may be used as a substitute for general or organic chemistry
    • Cumulative undergraduate science AMCAS GPA of 3.30 (not rounded) prior to matriculation into the CST Post-Bac program
    • Bachelor’s Degree earned at an accredited US or Canadian University
    • MCAT prior to matriculation into the CST Post-Bac program
      • No more than one MCAT
      • Minimum total of 501 with no section less than 125
    Does that clear things up?

46. calvangri

7+ Year Member

I think so. It was a rollercoaster of emotions from not applying to maybe applying to definitely applying back to not applying. The uGPA requirement is unfortunate for this program because it sounds great otherwise.

47. calvangri

7+ Year Member

Yeah. That’s once you’re in the program. The CST ACHS, if I understand it correctly, has requirements prior to your performance in the ACHS to qualify for the conditional acceptance. The ACMS only requires that you perform at a certain level in their program and meet the minimum MCAT requirements, uGPA isn’t a factor in their decision.

48. If it’s by that little call (if you’re interested in the program ofc). There’s still a lot of time to apply and sometimes they make exceptions!

49. Correct, that’s what I was confusing about the programs.

50. You def should! I didn’t have the SGPA for the few science classes I took before applying to BCHS (by even more than you I’ll add) and they still took me!

51. jeeeezus

Pre-Medical
    modified in which way?