You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Tennessee c/o 2025
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Go to your cheapest option 🙂To any upperclassmen: I am trying to decide between Tennessee and another school and I was wondering if anyone would be willing to answer a few questions I have about the school/curriculum/knoxville?
I'm a 2020 grad and happy to answer any questions you have though
1st year IS student at UTCVM. Always happy to answer questions. 🙂To any upperclassmen: I am trying to decide between Tennessee and another school and I was wondering if anyone would be willing to answer a few questions I have about the school/curriculum/knoxville?
I echo WildZoo in saying choose the cheapest option, though. You're going to receive an excellent education regardless and I doubt receiving a degree from any particular school will make you more hireable/make them pay you any more... thus, to achieve financial freedom at some point, I'd choose the cheapest school available to you (or at the very least, allow you to have a better quality of life).
Congrats on your acceptance. 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So my big problem at the moment regarding money is that Tennessee is more expensive, however, I think I would be happier in Tennessee because it's closer to my family and for some other personal reasons. My second school is cheaper, but it's much further away and I'm worried that my mental health will be worse there. So I'm trying to decide if it's worth paying more if I think I'll be happier.1st year IS student at UTCVM. Always happy to answer questions. 🙂
I echo WildZoo in saying choose the cheapest option, though. You're going to receive an excellent education regardless and I doubt receiving a degree from any particular school will make you more hireable/make them pay you any more... thus, to achieve financial freedom at some point, I'd choose the cheapest school available to you (or at the very least, allow you to have a better quality of life).
Congrats on your acceptance. 🙂
#wellness is extremely important. I guess it would depend on exactly the cost difference. If UTCVM is only a couple thousand cheaper a year, then I'd say it probably is the best choice. If UTCVM is over $40,000 overall cheaper, then it would be a more difficult decision.So my big problem at the moment regarding money is that Tennessee is more expensive, however, I think I would be happier in Tennessee because it's closer to my family and for some other personal reasons. My second school is cheaper, but it's much further away and I'm worried that my mental health will be worse there. So I'm trying to decide if it's worth paying more if I think I'll be happier.
Try getting into contact with Dr. Bartels over at VIN for students. It is a free website and if you post in the Student Debt discussion board, he'll give you specialized feedback regarding your finances.
Also, start building healthy mindfulness habits now while you're not in veterinary school. Once you're in, it is very difficult to do "trial and error" of what will work best for you. Try yoga. Try podcasts. Try running. Try meditation. Whatever floats your boat. It's not impossible to do it while you're in school, but I personally found it helpful to start early rather than late. 🙂
Whoops, I also wrote this thinking UTCVM was your cheaper option, my bad. Just replace UTCVM with (insert cheaper school you got accepted to here). *smh*#wellness is extremely important. I guess it would depend on exactly the cost difference. If UTCVM is only a couple thousand cheaper a year, then I'd say it probably is the best choice. If UTCVM is over $40,000 overall cheaper, then it would be a more difficult decision.
Try getting into contact with Dr. Bartels over at VIN for students. It is a free website and if you post in the Student Debt discussion board, he'll give you specialized feedback regarding your finances.
Also, start building healthy mindfulness habits now while you're not in veterinary school. Once you're in, it is very difficult to do "trial and error" of what will work best for you. Try yoga. Try podcasts. Try running. Try meditation. Whatever floats your boat. It's not impossible to do it while you're in school, but I personally found it helpful to start early rather than late. 🙂
Sorry, one more ammendment: also look at cost of attendance using the AVMA resources, if you haven't already. Tuition alone isn't the only expense you'll have while your studying. Okay, I think I'm done now. 😅Whoops, I also wrote this thinking UTCVM was your cheaper option, my bad. Just replace UTCVM with (insert cheaper school you got accepted to here). *smh*
Thank you, I'll definitely do that. I appreciate the feedback!#wellness is extremely important. I guess it would depend on exactly the cost difference. If UTCVM is only a couple thousand cheaper a year, then I'd say it probably is the best choice. If UTCVM is over $40,000 overall cheaper, then it would be a more difficult decision.
Try getting into contact with Dr. Bartels over at VIN for students. It is a free website and if you post in the Student Debt discussion board, he'll give you specialized feedback regarding your finances.
Also, start building healthy mindfulness habits now while you're not in veterinary school. Once you're in, it is very difficult to do "trial and error" of what will work best for you. Try yoga. Try podcasts. Try running. Try meditation. Whatever floats your boat. It's not impossible to do it while you're in school, but I personally found it helpful to start early rather than late. 🙂
JimmyJohnny
Full Member
Are II still being sent?
FYI this is the pre-vet forum.Are II still being sent?
JimmyJohnny
Full Member
Whoops thank youFYI this is the pre-vet forum.
wannabeirwin25
Full Member
Not a current student (future student!!!) but just wanted to make sure you know they are offering formal in person tours of campus. You should have received an email about it but if you didn't I'd be happy to pass along the information. My tour was incredibly informative and we got to see some really cool things.To any current students: My family and I are planning to come to Knoxville this Friday and look around the area and campus. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to give my family and I an informal tour of the school?
I emailed them about that too but I haven't heard back yet, so I was just trying to get another option if possible!Not a current student (future student!!!) but just wanted to make sure you know they are offering formal in person tours of campus. You should have received an email about it but if you didn't I'd be happy to pass along the information. My tour was incredibly informative and we got to see some really cool things.
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
I don't know that informal tours would be allowed or advisable right now given the pandemic. So would definitely reach out again about a formal tour if it's been more than 48 hours without a response.I emailed them about that too but I haven't heard back yet, so I was just trying to get another option if possible!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
wannabeirwin25
Full Member
Gotcha. May want to try calling if you don't get a response by tomorrow.I emailed them about that too but I haven't heard back yet, so I was just trying to get another option if possible!
wannabeirwin25
Full Member
They are mostly in person this semester so I don't expect that will change (of course who knows with COVID). I know my tour guide said that they were being told things would mostly be in person (and maybe without masks?)Does anyone know if we will be in-person for this semester?
Hmmm, 1st year at UTCVM here. We are not mostly in person this semester. Only certain labs and our electives were in person. All other labs and nearly all lectures were online.They are mostly in person this semester so I don't expect that will change (of course who knows with COVID). I know my tour guide said that they were being told things would mostly be in person (and maybe without masks?)
However, admin is planning right now on transitioning to all in person in the Fall. That being said, a lot can happen between now and then. You'll find that nothing is set in stone and last minute decisions sometimes have to be made. However, these decisions are always made with the students and faculty members in mind. Their number one goal is safety and quality education--so hopefully, we'll be able to transition back to normal in the Fall (but there is a chance it will remain hybrid). We shall see.
You can call Ms. Shepherd, but everyone coming in gets the COA federal loan as long as you've filled out your FAFSA. UTCVM doesn't give much other than that for first years. You can return any loan money you do not use.Does anyone know when we hear about financial aid?
Is the without masks thing true? Because that's slightly concerning! Do you know when we'll hear more about the decision?Hmmm, 1st year at UTCVM here. We are not mostly in person this semester. Only certain labs and our electives were in person. All other labs and nearly all lectures were online.
However, admin is planning right now on transitioning to all in person in the Fall. That being said, a lot can happen between now and then. You'll find that nothing is set in stone and last minute decisions sometimes have to be made. However, these decisions are always made with the students and faculty members in mind. Their number one goal is safety and quality education--so hopefully, we'll be able to transition back to normal in the Fall (but there is a chance it will remain hybrid). We shall see.
thesavvyvet
New Member
Has anyone heard of waitlist movement?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 323
- Views
- 52K
- Replies
- 43
- Views
- 4K