MD & DO terrible numbers, do I have any chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eagerbeaver17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
cGPA 3.14, MCAT 502 - bummer, I know.

I've logged over 3,000 hours as a scribe in the ED and believe I'll have really great LOR from 3 MDs and a DO I work with. I have good quality volunteer hours and extracurricular activities. I think my personal statement shows that I have a mature perspective and insatiable desire to go to medical school.

I had hoped to do much better on the MCAT in hopes that it would overshadow my low GPA but I got my score back today and I'm really discouraged. Is there any hope?

Members don't see this ad.

You have a chance at some DO schools, mainly the schools where the MCAT median is in the 500 to 502 range and also the new schools. I suggest applying to these schools:
ACOM
BCOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
LUCOM
WVSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
ARCOM (new school)
UIW (new school-Texas)
NYIT-Arkansas
RVU-Utah
Apply by July and submit all your secondaries by August.

Even though your ECs are good, the reality is that your numbers are very low. MD is now out of the question but you may have shots at some DO schools, a lot of which Faha mentioned. Even then, its gonna be tough for DO mostly due to that low GPA. My suggestion would be to apply DO only to some of the schools Faha mentioned and see how it goes. In the meantime you could retake or take some more science classes in a DIY postbac to improve a DO gpa. If MD is the dream, then I'm afraid it will take a lot of work, time, and money. You would need to retake the MCAT again and be sure to score 509+. In addition, you would probably need an SMP to prove to MD schools that you can handle the work but those are very costly and high risk since if you don't do well, you blow your shot at gaining admission to any MD or DO school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the advice. What is an SMP? I screwed my GPA up my first two years, transferred out and had MUCH better grades. I plan on retaking the MCAT and hope to do better.

SMP is a program that is usually affiliated with a medical school where you have to complete a years worth of advanced science courses to demonstrate you can handle a med school's heavy course load. These are not easy by any means and if you do not do well in an SMP your chances at med school are pretty much shot.

yeah 20k for the SMP seems a little outrageous. I think I'd rather retake some classes if I don't get any interviews this round