Terribly stupid mistake- cheated on exam without thinking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jwmd

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
A. You can either come forward right now, be honest, and hope for mercy.
or
B. "Wait for them to send me an email telling me they have evidence of academic misconduct."

Possible outcomes:
A: You get an XE for cheating, probably kiss professional school good-bye.
OR
You don't get an XE for cheating, get a warning or something, and move on feeling good that you admitted your wrong without feeling guilty.
B: You get caught, you get an XE for cheating, probably kiss professional school good-bye.
OR
You don't get caught, move on with your life, NEVER do it again, maybe feel guilty for the rest of your life.

You can decide your own path, that would be the adult thing to do.

Infiltrate the testing center and destroy the footage asap.

(100% joking. This is really serious and it might be gg for you even if you confess. But still confess. A lot of schools ask if you got caught cheating even if you were never punished.)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Would I contact my professor, or the testing center to let them know what I did? The professor was not in the room- just test proctors and cameras. And do you think they would believe me? I know that it sounds far-fetched; it isn't something that I would have ever done if I were clear-headed at the time, and it sounds like I am making excuses.
I'm very, very worried that I will get academic misconduct on my transcript though I have never intentionally cheated, but I also want to do what's right. To be honest, I am tempted to not say anything- assuming they would have called me out if someone saw me, perhaps nothing will happen if I stay silent. But I know what I did was wrong, and I should own up to it- it's just that I truly had zero intent of cheating, and am terrified that this will ruin everything.

Reactions: 1 user
Would I contact my professor, or the testing center to let them know what I did? The professor was not in the room- just test proctors and cameras. And do you think they would believe me? I know that it sounds far-fetched; it isn't something that I would have ever done if I were clear-headed at the time, and it sounds like I am making excuses.
I'm very, very worried that I will get academic misconduct on my transcript though I have never intentionally cheated, but I also want to do what's right. To be honest, I am tempted to not say anything- assuming they would have called me out if someone saw me, perhaps nothing will happen if I stay silent. But I know what I did was wrong, and I should own up to it- it's just that I truly had zero intent of cheating, and am terrified that this will ruin everything.
I'd probably go straight to my professor if I was in this situation. Whatever you decide, make sure this never happens again, even if it wasn't intentional.

Should I just say what happened, or try to explain why? I don't want to seem like I am making excuses or playing the victim card, but I do want to be clear that it was unintentional.

And if I were to not report it, would I get an email later on? How would I find out?

@jwmd Drop the class.

If they ask for a reason, put your explanation down as being the reason.

There's a difference between being honest and being too honest.

if you had written your essay ahead of time and copied it onto the paper, I would say you cheated and have no sympathy. But you just wrote a couple of terms which you then used to honestly answer a question.

From now on just don't be an idiot. Never do anything that could be even remotely construed as cheating again.

Reactions: 12 users
So when you say you wrote down two terms, you mean you wrote two words onto a sheet of scratch paper or did you write down the terms and their definitions or something? I feel like it would be very extreme of them to prosecute you for cheating over two words.

They probably only look at the camera footage if they suspect someone of cheating and they need evidence. They don't spend their spare time going through the footage looking for cheaters; plus you say you're already an A student in the class?

Its either turn yourself in and possibly kiss medical school goodbye.
Or do nothing, feel really bad (I guess?) and never do anything like that again.
Or do nothing and possibly kiss medical school goodbye.

Cost-Gain Analysis.

I made a terribly stupid mistake, and can't believe I did this without realizing what I was actually doing at the time. I had pulled my first all-nighter, and had just finished another exam when I was starting a proctored online exam. First time in the testing center, and I had to go to my course site to begin the exam. The lecture slides are also posted on the site, and I thought it would be okay to skim one beforehand since I was early. Without thinking (this is what happens when I'm sleep deprived, perhaps), I wrote down two of the terms on my scratch paper to remind myself to write about them (we got the essay prompts beforehand and I had written and memorized my responses). I then began the exam, and it hit me 5 minutes later what I had done.

What should I do?!? I'm so scared- I KNOW that I should not have written anything down as that is considered having notes during a closed-book exam, and I should not have opened up a lecture on the test center computer either. I had no intention of cheating, as this class has easy exams, and I have a solid A. I knew the material very well too- I really don't know what I was thinking..

I almost went up to the proctor after the exam to tell them what I did, but I chickened out when I thought about the potential consequences. I'm thinking one of the proctors may have seen (I wasn't being sneaky at all because I wasn't conscious that I was cheating when I was looking at the slides), and they may be looking at the camera footage soon. What should I do? Contact my professor and tell him what happened? Wait for them to send me an email telling me they have evidence of academic misconduct? Please help!

Stop being neurotic. If the testing center thought you were cheating they would have locked your computer and called you out on the spot. They monitor that stuff constantly.

If you tell on yourself, then your an idiot and deserve the IA. If they flunked everyone that didn't 110% follow testing procedures, most of us would have Fs and IAs.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 6 users
You are more likely to get caught because the computer terminal where you took the test will have a record of you going off the testing page and then back to it, than get caught by someone watching video of the testing room. Talk to your prof.

You are more likely to get caught because the computer terminal where you took the test will have a record of you going off the testing page and then back to it, than get caught by someone watching video of the testing room. Talk to your prof.

People monitor that in real time. If they thought he was cheating, they would have locked his computer and caught him.

Members don't see this ad :)
I doubt you'll get caught but cheat better or don't cheat at all. Overall your story sounds like BS with the "too tired to know I was cheating part".

So when you say you wrote down two terms, you mean you wrote two words onto a sheet of scratch paper or did you write down the terms and their definitions or something? I feel like it would be very extreme of them to prosecute you for cheating over two words.

Yes, I wrote two words that I knew the definitions of as a reminder to discuss them in the essay portion. I feel SO stupid for writing them down because there was really no need- I had my essays memorized already, and didn't look at what I wrote down at all.. I hope so!

So the testing page was the same as the page with the lectures- that's why I decided to click on a lecture before starting; I accessed the exam by going to the course site. But yes, I'm trying to think of how to explain it to him.. He knew me from another class I took with him, and knows that I work very hard and would never intentionally cheat, so if he finds out about this from the testing center and not from me, I would feel terrible. Just sucks that he'll lose some trust in me either way..

I doubt you'll get caught but cheat better or don't cheat at all. Overall your story sounds like BS with the "too tired to know I was cheating part".

I agree! If someone had asked me any other day if it is okay to open up a lecture and write two of the terms down before an exam, I would have said no immediately. I'm even having a hard time believing that I did such a stupid thing.. which is why I'm hesitant to tell my professor because it sounds so lame.

Yes, I wrote two words that I knew the definitions of as a reminder to discuss them in the essay portion. I feel SO stupid for writing them down because there was really no need- I had my essays memorized already, and didn't look at what I wrote down at all.. I hope so!

See, that doesn't really sound like cheating to me. What advantage do two words give you all on their own without any other information? The ideas associated with them are what's important and what you're being tested on, right?

Reactions: 3 users
First of all, don't be scared. Their is no point :)

Second of all, if you confess, then know why you are confessing. Are you confessing because you think you'll be rendered mercy? If that is the case, then think otherwise. This is not high school and chances are that you'll not be given mercy. If you are confessing out of a moral obligation, then go ahead, but you'll likely be given an XE.

You're most likely not going to be caught. So just wait until you find out whether you get caught or not. If you do get caught, then begin damage control, if that is even possible.

Don't do anything. I guarantee you're fine and if you bring it up, they'll assume you did way worse (or won't care).

I've been to thosenproctored places, the proctors don't give a **** and I've seen people in my class with all the answers out (gotta love CC schools that give them to you) when they weren't supposed to. Trust me you're fine. I've written a word or two on a desk before, stop freaking out. You'll only make it worse.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't do anything. I guarantee you're fine and if you bring it up, they'll assume you did way worse (or won't care).

I've been to thosenproctored places, the proctors don't give a **** and I've seen people in my class with all the answers out (gotta love CC schools that give them to you) when they weren't supposed to. Trust me you're fine. I've written a word or two on a desk before, stop freaking out. You'll only make it worse.

While I can't say I've cheated or condone it, I will confirm that the proctors often do not give two ****s, and if you were going to get in trouble for it, you likely already would have.

Did you have those two words in mind before looking at the lecture?

Manage your time better so that you never have to pull an all-nighter again.
Yes. Kick this habit now. People in medical school aren't the all-nighter type. The study habits that force all-nighters will eventually doom you.

Thanks for the responses, everyone- I really appreciate it. I ended up calling my professor during his phone office hours, but it was busy. Even if he had picked up, I'm not sure I would have had the guts to tell him.. After reading everything that you guys have said, I think I will just wait it out.

As for all-nighters: I am NEVER allowing myself to go through one again, if I can help it. Before this, my record was 4 hours of sleep, and that was already terrible as I typically get 7-9 a night. Clearly, having an all-nighter results in me making the most idiotic decisions possible. I actually tried to bite into a frozen waffle that morning, so that was idiotic move #1.

I'm still worried that the proctors simply emailed my professor or something, but I'm really hoping you guys are right and I would have been told right away.

Thanks for the responses, everyone- I really appreciate it. I ended up calling my professor during his phone office hours, but it was busy. Even if he had picked up, I'm not sure I would have had the guts to tell him.. After reading everything that you guys have said, I think I will just wait it out.

As for all-nighters: I am NEVER allowing myself to go through one again, if I can help it. Before this, my record was 4 hours of sleep, and that was already terrible as I typically get 7-9 a night. Clearly, having an all-nighter results in me making the most idiotic decisions possible. I actually tried to bite into a frozen waffle that morning, so that was idiotic move #1.

I'm still worried that the proctors simply emailed my professor or something, but I'm really hoping you guys are right and I would have been told right away.

You're in for a world of hurt the first time you have to work all night, lol.

If you report yourself you're an idiot. Some of the people to turn yourself in on this forum want to see you get caught. People on here can be a-holes that think everyone is competition.

If you report yourself you're an idiot. Some of the people to turn yourself in on this forum want to see you get caught. People on here can be a-holes that think everyone is competition.

Wouldn't it be better to explain myself first instead of having the testing center turn me in? That was my thought process this whole time...

Wouldn't it be better to explain myself first instead of having the testing center turn me in? That was my thought process this whole time...
No. If it hasn't come up yet, odds are that your brain is playing tricks on you.

The people above telling you to turn yourself in DO want to see you fail. Some pre-meds are vicious, and you must adopt a survivalist mindset.

No, it would not be better. It is a simple calculation. You have two options: 1) Tell them and you will get an XE on transcript. 2) Don't tell them and their is a chance you don't get an XE.

The third possibility likely doesn't exist in college. You will not be given "mercy" for telling the professor you cheated. And no one will believe that you cheated on "accident." In fact, I don't think people on here feel comfortable believing that you cheated "accidentally."

No, it would not be better. It is a simple calculation. You have two options: 1) Tell them and you will get an XE on transcript. 2) Don't tell them and their is a chance you don't get an XE.

The third possibility likely doesn't exist in college. You will not be given "mercy" for telling the professor you cheated. And no one will believe that you cheated on "accident." In fact, I don't think people on here feel comfortable believing that you cheated "accidentally."

I believe him.

I believe him.

And I believe him too, as their is no conclusive reason for me not to believe his story. However, I do not feel entirely comfortable about it, and his professor (if he presents his story) will likely have doubts too.

How is that different from an IA?

They may mean the same thing. I believe that the abbreviations can vary from one school to another. But a med school committee can look up the exact definition of the letter grade on the student's university website.

And I believe him too, as their is no conclusive reason for me not to believe his story. However, I do not feel entirely comfortable about it, and his professor (if he presents his story) will likely have doubts too.

I agree- that's why I couldn't bring myself to tell my professor. I can't say that I would be able to completely believe something like this either.. The thing is, if I really wanted to lie about it, I could have made up a more believable story- what I have right now either sounds like I'm lying or makes me out to be a complete dunce (which might be true after this stupid situation).

As of now, I have not heard anything from the testing center or my professor.. I'm not sure how long I would have to wait to be completely reassured that nothing will happen though.

I agree- that's why I couldn't bring myself to tell my professor. I can't say that I would be able to completely believe something like this either.. The thing is, if I really wanted to lie about it, I could have made up a more believable story- what I have right now either sounds like I'm lying or makes me out to be a complete dunce (which might be true after this stupid situation).

As of now, I have not heard anything from the testing center or my professor.. I'm not sure how long I would have to wait to be completely reassured that nothing will happen though.

So, two things. First, I think you would have heard something by now if they were going to take action. Second, I reread your OP, and I really don't think you can call that cheating. Having the lecture sides up makes it look bad, but you had already been provided with the essay prompts and had memorized responses. Yes, you wrote down terms on scratch paper prior to the start of the exam, but that's just a timing issue to me. If you didn't get caught, I don't think you should bring it up, because that would be a stupid thing to get a disciplinary action over.

Worry about global warming, overpopulation, threat of nuclear-trump, and Harambe. Do not spend anymore time worrying about this nonsense.

Yesterday I threw a box into my recycling that may have contained a non recyclable component, can't be sure. I'm not gonna call the waste management people to get their opinion, because neither of us care, and it would only force them to do something about it.

This may go against the grain on here...BUT. If you truly did NOT mean to cheat, and know in your heart you do not have a record of cheating to score well/won't be the type of person to continue this behavior when it actually matters (Ie: Cheating on exams in med school that actually help foster your knowledge on how to take care of patients/learn key concepts that lay the foundation for your thinking for years to come)...Deny, deny, deny until you know they in fact have you caught 100% dead to rights.

This is your entire future/career you are talking about, don't let a stupid mistake ruin you. And as another poster has said above, there is such a thing as being TOO honest, and most of the times it is never to your benefit--because I highly doubt they grant you mercy. Professors have heard it all, and you are simply another number to them.

Worry about global warming, overpopulation, threat of nuclear-trump, and Harambe. Do not spend anymore time worrying about this nonsense.

Yesterday I threw a box into my recycling that may have contained a non recyclable component, can't be sure. I'm not gonna call the waste management people to get their opinion, because neither of us care, and it would only force them to do something about it.

Haha, I already worry about all of those things, so this just adds another item to the list. But I agree- since I've decided not to tell the professor, there's really nothing I can do at this point.

Thanks for the advice, guys- I'm glad (at least right now) I didn't tell the proctor or my professor. I know that would have been the 'right' thing to do, but it could have ruined my entire pre-med career over something that was really just a dumb mistake on my part.

upload_2016-8-23_20-43-21-png.78497