This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ayoung1029

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi fellow friends!

I just have a question on whether or not to apply for medical school with these grades right now,. say my EC's are pretty good So I transferred from a CC with a 4.0, I did two semesters (1 year) as a biology major and getting A's in every class. However when I transferred to my new school I didn't do to well.

Fall Semester: Organic chemistry(B+), Biology class(B), General Ed Class (B+), General Ed Class(A), GPA: 3.4

Now this spring semester is almost coming to an end and this is what I feel like I will get in each class Organic chemistry II(B+ or A-), Biology Class (300+ class; A- or A) Gen Ed Class (A) Gen Ed Class (A), Gen Ed Class (300+ lvl class; B+ or A- or A)

I'm taking a lot of credits right now and this is what I think I will get after this spring semester. I feel like this was a ****ty transition when medical schools view my transcript? What do you guys think...? I'm still a sophomore by the way! Junior this fall.

I'm taking biochemistry and physics in the fall as well, I'm just doing my best. Probably won't reach MD schools but DO schools maybe? Tell me straight up (no feelings hurt), if you think I'm still doing fine or not good because I might just end up switching my major if I'm not doing too not even though the healthcare field is my passion.

Let me know how I'm looking. Thank you !

Members don't see this ad.

You’re not doing nearly as bad as you make it sound. MD schools are 100% in reach if you get good grades, but without an MCAT score we can’t tell if you’re competitive at all. Many community college students make it successfully to medical school and you can certainly still be one of them.

You should consider applying as a senior, taking a gap year for your application cycle. It’s a nice break and it won’t hurt you to know your final GPA too.

You’re not doing nearly as bad as you make it sound. MD schools are 100% in reach if you get good grades, but without an MCAT score we can’t tell if you’re competitive at all. Many community college students make it successfully to medical school and you can certainly still be one of them.

You should consider applying as a senior, taking a gap year for your application cycle. It’s a nice break and it won’t hurt you to know your final GPA too.

Hey thanks for responding, I was also thinking if I do kill the MCAT like 515+ I have a better chance of acceptance to DO schools or MD. Apply as a junior. I'm def thinking about a gap year but also thinking about going traditional way. Even with like a 3.5~3.6 GPA but if I do decent on the MCAT as I mentioned like a 515+ then I have a better chance ?

Members don't see this ad :)
You should aim to go to an MD school. This is not a race, and if you apply when you’re not at your best you stand to make yourself a reapplicant and waste a lot of money on a cycle that won’t get you anywhere.

Your situation is like basically a mirror image of what mine was. 4.0 in community college, 3.4 first semester at University. I ended up with a 3.71 at University and was accepted to a few schools this cycle.

Your situation is like basically a mirror image of what mine was. 4.0 in community college, 3.4 first semester at University. I ended up with a 3.71 at University and was accepted to a few schools this cycle.

Except this spring semester I don't think I will get A in organic chemistry, really frustrating or get high GPA. *sigh* I'm hoping to kill my MCAT

You should aim to go to an MD school. This is not a race, and if you apply when you’re not at your best you stand to make yourself a reapplicant and waste a lot of money on a cycle that won’t get you anywhere.

I completely understand your point, thank you very much! However you feel like I should take a gap year though, even if I get pretty good MCAT score and I have fairly decent EC's + research (working on publication). Appreciate your opinion and suggestions 100%

Reactions: 1 user
What’s your hurry? You don’t know what your MCAT is and you aren’t sure about your GPAs. You say your “ECs are pretty good”. Are they good enough? You only want to apply one time with the BEST possible application possible. Do you have your BEST application possible? If not keep working and apply in a year or two! There is no rush to apply.

That makes a lot of sense thank you very much

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.