Texas A&M c/o 2016 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm :xf: that you get yours soon!! They send an acceptance form along with a bunch of other forms to send back to them. So its nothing online, unfortunately. I hope you hear somehting soon!! :luck:

Thanks BearKat17! I'm still living through everyone's excitement on here...so happy for everyone!!

Sadly, the wait continues...I"M DYING! :scared: (not really, but really I NEED to know). I'm trying to calculate how long it will take to get from my home address in College Station to here in Missouri....no idea.

So what I'm seeing is that they sent out waitlist letters too? I'm assuming they would send out rejections at the same time? Thinking positive thoughts but also preparing myself just in case.

Members don't see this ad.

I know wait list is around 2 dozen people (I remember during my exit interview last year I was just TWO spots off the wait list and calculating that made me #26). As far as what gets sent when, everything gets sent at the same time so everyone should know one way or another very soon... :xf:

P.S. - Wait list will come in a skinny envelope just like a rejection (at least mine did), so don't count yourself out yet until you actually open the letter; I was so upset when I got mine this year that my mom had to remind me to actually open it, and only then did I realize I'd made wait list

I just found out I got in today. To all you waitlisters though, keep the hope alive, I'll probably be giving you my spot!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations to the 2016ers! Enjoy the summer because the next one will seem like a loooong ways away. :D

Also it seems that us current students have y'all outnumbered on the facebook page. More of y'all need to join!

Second semester of first year is rough, and everyone tells us that it's the worst semester of vet school.
IMO yah, without a doubt. Second semester second year isn't much fun (nor is first semester second year around mid-terms) because it seems they're constantly bombarding us with tests and outside assignments to work on (where as before it was primarily just tests), but I'd much rather be doing second year second semester then first year second semester. Man that was rough. Rumor has it third year is even better than second.

To whoever asked about the exotic case load: we don't get a real high number of it. For the most part, people wanting to do exotics do internships and what not during their summers and fourth year, and take as many exotic electives they can in the third.

Also feel free to ask any questions here or on the Facebook page (or PM me or whatever).

Last edited:
Sigh....still waiting to get ANY letter.....

Bearkat did you perchance go to Klein High School

Bearkat did you perchance go to Klein High School

Nope, I'm originally from El Paso. But my undergrad (Sam Houston State) has the Bearkat as a mascot too apparently. lol.

Good ole SHSU, there was a good one of those what we really do memes going around for Sam Houston recently

Bearkat was this your 2nd or 3rd time applying? I seem to recall you getting waitlisted last year or some such?

Nope, this was my first time applying anywhere. I was.going to apply last year but decided to wait for various reasons.

FINALLY! An answer! I'm alternate #6 on the waitlist!!! Not sure if I should celebrate or not....no, probably too soon. Lots of praying though!!

Members don't see this ad :)
FINALLY! An answer! I'm alternate #6 on the waitlist!!! Not sure if I should celebrate or not....no, probably too soon. Lots of praying though!!

Yes!! I'm glad you found out! I've heard that they go through at least 10 spots on the waitlist. Good luck I hope you get great news! :xf: for you!

Yes!! I'm glad you found out! I've heard that they go through at least 10 spots on the waitlist. Good luck I hope you get great news! :xf: for you!

Thanks BearKat! I heard they go through about 10 too...so the odds are in my favor but not counting my chickens before they hatch. The sad/funny thing about it is the letter says I can hear anything between now and August 19!! Talk about torture lol

Thanks BearKat! I heard they go through about 10 too...so the odds are in my favor but not counting my chickens before they hatch. The sad/funny thing about it is the letter says I can hear anything between now and August 19!! Talk about torture lol

I would think they would let you know sooner, especially since April 15th is when those accepted have to decide. Plus, I have good feelings that you're gonna make it! :)

Congrats! I am always super cautious about counting my chickens, but i'd have a bottle of champagne chilling! I know that some people have heard up to the last minute but most hear btw April and June!

You will probably get in. I'd be surprised if you didn't. I completely understand how you feel though. I was first on the waitlist last year and I still didn't celebrate or make definite plans until I got the phone call that I was in. I had everything lined up thought so all I had to do was finalize everything after I got accepted.

Also, the waitlist moves really quickly starting around April 15th and you're early enough on the list that I don't think you will have to wait to long. Last year I want to say I got the call a couple days before April 15. It moved a lot right around that date and then slowed down.

Oh and I looked up last year's post and it looks like on 4/13 they got through at least number 7 and by May 13, they had gotten through number 12 and that was the last anyone posted about the waitlist.

I was number 12 last year and got the call the day I graduated (May13, Friday the 13th haha)! It was the best graduation present ever haha! I am not 100% sure but I think the list only went to 13 last year and that was a little high (most likely because of the tuition increase). They usually say around 10 spots get called off the wait list and I think that is probably pretty consistent each year. My friend was number 11 two years ago and the list went to 10 so she was pretty bummed but got in the next cycle without being wait listed. I know a lot about the wait list because I was going crazy last year not knowing so I asked anyone who would listen to me about my odds of getting in, so if y'all have any question PM me and ill try to answer the question or find the answer somewhere.

I know being on the wait list is stressful, but hang in there and know that your odds tend to improve if you have to reapply. I pretty much had to tell myself that either way would be good, of course I wanted to get in that year but I also would have enjoyed a break from school and time to work and rest my brain. So stay optimistic and know your plans either way. Don't just sit there and wait for the phone to ring, think of ways to improve your app just in case and also try to stay stress free because if you do get called off, you want to make sure you don't start school stressed out. Good luck and hang in there!!!

Nope, this was my first time applying anywhere. I was.going to apply last year but decided to wait for various reasons.

Well I was way off then lol. Just remembered you from the cycle last year and thought you had ended up waitlisted.

Anyhow, yah if you get waitlisted anywhere below 10, you've a pretty good shot of getting in.

I know being on the wait list is stressful, but hang in there and know that your odds tend to improve if you have to reapply. I pretty much had to tell myself that either way would be good, of course I wanted to get in that year but I also would have enjoyed a break from school and time to work and rest my brain. So stay optimistic and know your plans either way. Don't just sit there and wait for the phone to ring, think of ways to improve your app just in case and also try to stay stress free because if you do get called off, you want to make sure you don't start school stressed out. Good luck and hang in there!!!

Wonderful advice! Thank you! I was thinking about how to improve my app should I need to such as taking some more classes but would have to take the new GRE (I'd be more excited about getting in this round just for that reason! lol)

And thank you everyone for the support! I'm more relieved I have some sort of answer and feeling cautiously confident about where I'm at the moment. For those of you who are religious, I feel like God has had this plan for me for a LONG time and its in His hands.

So y'all are saying they will call with an answer? No email or letter?

You will probably get in. I'd be surprised if you didn't. I completely understand how you feel though. I was first on the waitlist last year and I still didn't celebrate or make definite plans until I got the phone call that I was in. I had everything lined up thought so all I had to do was finalize everything after I got accepted.

Also, the waitlist moves really quickly starting around April 15th and you're early enough on the list that I don't think you will have to wait to long. Last year I want to say I got the call a couple days before April 15. It moved a lot right around that date and then slowed down.

I am # 1 on the waitlist this year.. I know chances are high but this waiting is SO stressful! What did they say when they called? Yolanda told me they wouldn't call before April 15th but I've also heard that they do call a few people before then.
If anybody knows anybody who is rejecting their A&M acceptance, please let me know! It would ease my nerves tremendously!!

So I'm #5 on the waitist, stressing some just because it's more waiting but at least it's not rejection...anyhow, do you get called when someone moves up or only when you are the next in line? And how long do they give you to respond? I'm afraid they'll call when I'm working and won't get to answer....

Also, I know the deadline to decide to go to A&M is the 15th of April, but if someone decides in two weeks to go elsewhere, do they call #1 and tell them then? Or still wait until April 15th? And if someone decides to go elsewhere can they go back to A&M and say wait I changed my mind if it's before April 15th? I think I'm getting pretty nit picky here it's just so hard to wait all over again!!
But I'm positive to be on the WL

Congrats to all who got in already and good luck to fellow WLers!!

I am # 1 on the waitlist this year.. I know chances are high but this waiting is SO stressful! What did they say when they called? Yolanda told me they wouldn't call before April 15th but I've also heard that they do call a few people before then.
If anybody knows anybody who is rejecting their A&M acceptance, please let me know! It would ease my nerves tremendously!!

I will be rejecting mine (in the next few days). So I officially hand you my spot tamucvmhopeful :thumbup: gig em

Has anyone heard of rejections being sent out with this batch of mail? All I've heard so far is acceptance/waitlist. I'm prepared for a rejection, but if it was all sent out at the same time I'm worried that I haven't heard anything yet or mail got lost (which is common in my neighborhood).

Has anyone heard of rejections being sent out with this batch of mail? All I've heard so far is acceptance/waitlist. I'm prepared for a rejection, but if it was all sent out at the same time I'm worried that I haven't heard anything yet or mail got lost (which is common in my neighborhood).

I've only heard of acceptances/waitlists so far. I know a few people who are still waiting too. I hope you hear good news soon :xf:

yes, rejections went out at the same time as acceptances and waitlists.

I was 1st on the waitlist last year and I got called on April 13.

So I'm #5 on the waitist, stressing some just because it's more waiting but at least it's not rejection...anyhow, do you get called when someone moves up or only when you are the next in line? And how long do they give you to respond? I'm afraid they'll call when I'm working and won't get to answer....

Also, I know the deadline to decide to go to A&M is the 15th of April, but if someone decides in two weeks to go elsewhere, do they call #1 and tell them then? Or still wait until April 15th? And if someone decides to go elsewhere can they go back to A&M and say wait I changed my mind if it's before April 15th? I think I'm getting pretty nit picky here it's just so hard to wait all over again!!
But I'm positive to be on the WL

Congrats to all who got in already and good luck to fellow WLers!!

I think they wait until close to the 15th and call a bunch of people at once. They called me when I was at work and left a message on my cell. I called back that afternoon when I got off work. I would just get in the habit of checking your messages when you can when it gets close to April 15th. I think they called like 1-7 on April 13th last year and than after that just called the next person on the list until the spots were filled.

I'm #6....so if you wouldn't mind posting when you hear something that would help out alot so I can glue myself to my phone (like I'm not already :p) Good luck!!!

I wish they would just call the waitlisters as people tell them they won't be going because that would save alot of people some stress :scared:

Hi, I am thinking of applying to Texas A&M college of veterinary medicine next year for fall 2013, does anyone know how many people get interviews and how many people get accepted? Is there a rolling admissions or wait-list?
Also what is the average number of hours most people get for vet/animal experience?

Congrats to everyone that got accepted :)

Hi, I am thinking of applying to Texas A&M college of veterinary medicine next year for fall 2013, does anyone know how many people get interviews and how many people get accepted? Is there a rolling admissions or wait-list?
Also what is the average number of hours most people get for vet/animal experience?

Congrats to everyone that got accepted :)

Start with the info on the website:
http://vetmed.tamu.edu/dvm/future/admissions-statistics

If you can't find what you are looking for online, I would contact the admissions office. They are very helpful.
http://vetmed.tamu.edu/contact

Texas A&M uses a wait-list. Everyone is interviewed and evaluated around the same time. I'm not sure about the average hours for experience.

Last year about 400 students applied, about 230 got interviews, and about 130 got accepted into this year to start in fall 2012. They don't have rolling admissions, but they do have a waitlist, this year it has 23 students on it. As far as how many they go thru, I have heard different numbers. I think for numbers of vet experience, the more the better. And make sure you have a variety of vet and animal experience as well. Good luck!

I'm currently trying to find a copy of a calendar of the fall semester. I know it's a bit irrelevant, but I'm trying to figure out when the final exams are in the fall semester. My birthday is always during finals week, and I turn 21 this year, and the undergraduate calendar has finals ending before my birthday this year. I was really excited I could actually celebrate my birthday this year, and I was hoping that vet school finals are either at the same time or earlier. If anyone knows, please let me know.

(This is what boredom and mindless searching and waiting impatiently for midnight tomorrow gets you.)

I believe they would be the first week of December. Monday through Thursday.

I was hoping that vet school finals are either at the same time or earlier. If anyone knows, please let me know.

The vet school typically starts and ends a week earlier than the undergrads. So whatever date you find on the undergrad schedule, you should be done 1 week earlier.

I'm currently trying to find a copy of a calendar of the fall semester. I know it's a bit irrelevant, but I'm trying to figure out when the final exams are in the fall semester.

Our finals for the fall of the first year were the week of the 6th - 9th.

Hope everyone had a Happy Easter! Has anyone heard anything about the waitlist moving yet? I know they have until the 15th to make decisions but I'm still anxious to know!

Does anyone know if there are two waiting lists, one for instate and one for out of state, or is it one list that is made from a combination of both?

just got a call from Yolanda!! WHOOP :)
thought others on the waitlist would like to know! hope you all get good news today too!