Texas A&M Pharmacy C/O 2019 applicants

Started by wiseguy87
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
IMO, the first part isn't really a problem... For the Kingsville campus, the entire city is like a 15 minute drive. The apartments that most PharmD students live in is literally a 5 minute walk from the pharmacy building.
What is IMO? Sorry to ask. And is it true tuition is cheap, and how cheap? Because am seriously considering A&M. Thanks.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was unimpressed that A&M won't give p1 students a white coat ceremony until p2 year. What is your take on this? And are there apartments that is close to campus, because I don't drive, and I need to be close to campus.

I didn't like the idea either at first when I got to orientation, but I think it makes it even more meaningful. It's kind of like you earned it type of thing by making it through your first year. You don't really use the coats that much your first year anyways. The only time you would wear the coat is service learning and rotations. P1's do not have rotations till P2 year and you do not have that much service learning to where it makes a difference if you have your coat or not. If you're trying to figure out what's your deciding factor, you shouldn't make that one it. P1 year goes by so fast, you won't even notice that you don't have your coats yet.
There are a few apartments that are walking distance! The apartments that I live at are half a mile away from the COP and the apartments that a plan on living in next year are also half a mile away. If you want, you can also live in the dorms on campus 🙂
 
How much does it cost to be in a 4 by 2 apartment. I was thinking that one could get a 4 by 2 apartment for at least 3 hundred and something. Toph1, is it also true that P1 is the hardest in A&M, because in tech they say p1 is easiest, however it gets harder as you progress? Again, is it true that in the summer, companies come to recruit students for internship in their P1 year?
 
Like 4 bedroom 2 bath? I just want to make sure, because I'm not sure if that's what you mean. The first semester of P1 year is pretty challenging because you have all of the harder science classes. If you have taken them before and come in with good study habits, then you should be fine. If you come in with no study habits and haven't taken some of the classes, you might struggle a little but it is doable. The second semester of P1 year is probably the easiest semester out of the 4 years. Well, so I've heard. We do have an internship fair that is coming in a couple of weeks to give interviews for possible internships over the summer.
 
Like 4 bedroom 2 bath? I just want to make sure, because I'm not sure if that's what you mean. The first semester of P1 year is pretty challenging because you have all of the harder science classes. If you have taken them before and come in with good study habits, then you should be fine. If you come in with no study habits and haven't taken some of the classes, you might struggle a little but it is doable. The second semester of P1 year is probably the easiest semester out of the 4 years. Well, so I've heard. We do have an internship fair that is coming in a couple of weeks to give interviews for possible internships over the summer.
Yes I mean 4 bedrooms and 2 baths. What could be the cost range based on what you know?
 
Like 4 bedroom 2 bath? I just want to make sure, because I'm not sure if that's what you mean. The first semester of P1 year is pretty challenging because you have all of the harder science classes. If you have taken them before and come in with good study habits, then you should be fine. If you come in with no study habits and haven't taken some of the classes, you might struggle a little but it is doable. The second semester of P1 year is probably the easiest semester out of the 4 years. Well, so I've heard. We do have an internship fair that is coming in a couple of weeks to give interviews for possible internships over the summer.

Also, what apartments who you recommend? I've really bad roommate/apartment experiences the past two years so I definitely want to get a head start on looking at apartments so all the good ones don't get taken!
 
Like 4 bedroom 2 bath? I just want to make sure, because I'm not sure if that's what you mean. The first semester of P1 year is pretty challenging because you have all of the harder science classes. If you have taken them before and come in with good study habits, then you should be fine. If you come in with no study habits and haven't taken some of the classes, you might struggle a little but it is doable. The second semester of P1 year is probably the easiest semester out of the 4 years. Well, so I've heard. We do have an internship fair that is coming in a couple of weeks to give interviews for possible internships over the summer.
I also heard that "legend of kingsville" apartment is good. Heard that javelina station apartment even though fully furnished can disappoint some times? Give us some good locations or apartments and advice us on what to do toph1?
 
I also heard that "legend of kingsville" apartment is good. Heard that javelina station apartment even though fully furnished can disappoint some times? Give us some good locations or apartments and advice us on what to do toph1?

I haven't really heard of any apartments that are cheap and decent. Javelina station (JS) is a disappointment, but they are better than the others that are close by. They have a lot of internet problems and this time around they took forever to fix my garbage disposal (about a month -_-) The nicer ones that are not furnished are about 10-15 from the school, but are about 1300 for a three bedroom. I'm actually going to be living in the legends next year! I would suggest those, but I can't guarantee they will be great and you won't have a bad experience since they will be new/: JS also messed up with my roommate selection, but I ended up bonding really well with my roommate! We will be living together next year 🙂 I would avoid university square and seville. They look super sketchy, but I have some classmates that live there and they are fine with it. If you choose JS or the legends, you will be looking at around $660 for a two bedroom. The three that are a little be farther from school are hunters cove, hawks, and these new apartments called oak tree.
 
Sorry if I am a little all over the place lol
Sorry if I am a little all over the place lol
Perfect Toph1!! You answered most of my questions. It is surprising that housing is still expensive even in places like kingsville. Apartments should be cheap on kingsville and not the other way round. I hate when the internet is slow or don't work well. My experience right now in my apartment in Austin makes me annoyed. Internet is slow, and I hate it so much!!!
 
Perfect Toph1!! You answered most of my questions. It is surprising that housing is still expensive even in places like kingsville. Apartments should be cheap on kingsville and not the other way round. I hate when the internet is slow or don't work well. My experience right now in my apartment in Austin makes me annoyed. Internet is slow, and I hate it so much!!!
You would hate JS lol there are times where it is out for a whole day! Super inconvenient if you want to stay at your apartment and study and not go to the COP. I think there are $400 apt but they are either for low-income families or they're really sketchy and ugly/: I'm glad I was able to answer your questions 🙂
 
What kind of questions do they ask during the interviews? Trying to get ready for Friday interview.
Thanks.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They'll ask you the tell about yourself speech, situational questions that are pharmacy related, weird non-pharmacy related questions, and ones that have to do with school. I know that is very vague, I just don't know if I'm allowed to tell you specifically what they are going to ask. I'll tell you my kind of weird question that I got when I was interviewing. It was something around the lines of who would I put on the cover of some magazine. I probably gave a response that not many others would give lol
 
They'll ask you the tell about yourself speech, situational questions that are pharmacy related, weird non-pharmacy related questions, and ones that have to do with school. I know that is very vague, I just don't know if I'm allowed to tell you specifically what they are going to ask. I'll tell you my kind of weird question that I got when I was interviewing. It was something around the lines of who would I put on the cover of some magazine. I probably gave a response that not many others would give lol
Toph01, have you done any IPPE rotations yet? If so, how many hours is the rotations. And do you have to complete a certain amount of IPPE? And when do you guys do hospital rotations, community rotation, and ambulatory care rotation? Just explain explicitly. Thanks in advance!!
 
As P1's, we do not yet. All we have our first year is service learning, and we have to complete 10 hours each semester. We do have to complete a certain amount of IPPE hours, but I do not remember how much. You do them during your P2 year and luckily you do not have to worry about them over the summer. At the end of your P1 year, you let them know which location you would like for your P2 rotations and they will let you know sometime in the summer your city and site. You do these rotations every Friday of your P2 year, so you only have actually classes Monday-Thursday. The only sites they split it up between is hospital and community. There is one compounding site you can get, which is Mr. Moore. Just a warning, you can drive up to about 2 and 1/2 hours.
 
They'll ask you the tell about yourself speech, situational questions that are pharmacy related, weird non-pharmacy related questions, and ones that have to do with school. I know that is very vague, I just don't know if I'm allowed to tell you specifically what they are going to ask. I'll tell you my kind of weird question that I got when I was interviewing. It was something around the lines of who would I put on the cover of some magazine. I probably gave a response that not many others would give lol
Thanke Topho1 for replying. It was very helpful.
 
I interviewed Thursday. I have to say that I loved the school. Everyone was nice and it had a home like feeling.
 
Did you have a chance to see the labs and rooms during the interview?

Yes! They gave a tour of the compounding lab and sterilization lab! They also walked us through the classroom where class would be held. They were nice!
 
Yes! They gave a tour of the compounding lab and sterilization lab! They also walked us through the classroom where class would be held. They were nice!
Really? That was cool!! On my interview day, we just have small talk with the dean, students and then the individual interview. I wish i could see the facility and clab rooms.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Really? That was cool!! On my interview day, we just have small talk with the dean, students and then the individual interview. I wish i could see the facility and clab rooms.

My group also got a tour! We did small talk with the dean and the tour while half of our group was interviewing!
 
My group didn't tour either! If anyone has seen the facilities at other schools, how did these stack up? For any current students, are you happy with the facilities?
 
Hey Toph01, looking to have a contact at the College Station campus. Do you have a classmate up there who doesn't mind answering a few questions?
 
I noticed that u also have interview at Tech. How are the lab/classroom at A&M compared to Tech?

I actually haven't had my interview at tech yet! But as soon as I do I'll let you know! In my opinion, I really really liked the program at A&M but the only thing giving me reservations is the location. I'm from the dallas area so Kingsville is already really far from where I live and its a big adjustment going from a large city to a small town.
 
Hey Toph01, looking to have a contact at the College Station campus. Do you have a classmate up there who doesn't mind answering a few questions?
I also have many questions for CS campus. A&M sent me Computing account/email account/Net ID account/Universal ID with all the self-assigned passwords. Should I memorize all of them at school? I'm kinda overwhelmed now.
 
I also have many questions for CS campus. A&M sent me Computing account/email account/Net ID account/Universal ID with all the self-assigned passwords. Should I memorize all of them at school? I'm kinda overwhelmed now.

Owl I'm guessing your also one of the lucky 33 🙂 congrats. Just follow the email the tech department sends out, that should help you set up both the university and health science center accounts. I only wish the later wasn't through Outlook. Also make sure to set up your financial forwarding information for direct deposit, as this will help you out later. One of my main questions is regarding parking passes (http://transportmap.tamu.edu/parkingmap/) lots 72 and 73 are those assigned to the Reynolds complex area. Although I have noticed on the football page, it mentions lot 72 is not open for parking on Saturdays due to fan parking. So I'm thinking lot 73, for $275 annually I kinda want to get this right. Hey if you want to talk off the forum, my email is [email protected].
 
I interviewed Feb 6 as well!!
Does anyone know around what days they may start offering acceptance letters? I believe today was the last interview date.
 
Ahh! excited but nervous. on an non relevant note, I found the room I interviewed in not that ventilated. I saw people in the library using fans too. Did anybody have that same thing happened?
 
Hey, guys! I'm sorry for the late reply, but I will try to get someone from college station to get in contact with you so they can answer your questions 🙂
 
Hey everyone! I'm a P1 from the College Station campus! I know that interviews are over and I hope everything went well! If you have any questions for me in general about the school or College Station specific, let me know! I'm sorta new to this, but I'll try my best to answer any questions that you may have!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I also have many questions for CS campus. A&M sent me Computing account/email account/Net ID account/Universal ID with all the self-assigned passwords. Should I memorize all of them at school? I'm kinda overwhelmed now.
What I did is just write them all down and have it handy (like a note on your phone). They can seem overwhelming at first, but it's not bad
 
Hey everyone! I'm a P1 from the College Station campus! I know that interviews are over and I hope everything went well! If you have any questions for me in general about the school or College Station specific, let me know! I'm sorta new to this, but I'll try my best to answer any questions that you may have!

How do you like living in college station? Is it difficult not having the professor at your campus?
 
How do you like living in college station? Is it difficult not having the professor at your campus?
Personally, I didn't have any problems with it last semester. All the professors are really good about quickly responding to emails with questions as well as during class. Since the classes are live, we all get equal opportunity in class to ask questions and its as if we're there pretty much. As for living here, I love it. There's so many things to do and everything is really close by. And the football games are awesome 🙂
 
Personally, I didn't have any problems with it last semester. All the professors are really good about quickly responding to emails with questions as well as during class. Since the classes are live, we all get equal opportunity in class to ask questions and its as if we're there pretty much. As for living here, I love it. There's so many things to do and everything is really close by. And the football games are awesome 🙂

Do you like the small class size?