Texas A&M Pharmacy C/O 2019 applicants

Started by wiseguy87
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone! I'm a P1 from the College Station campus! I know that interviews are over and I hope everything went well! If you have any questions for me in general about the school or College Station specific, let me know! I'm sorta new to this, but I'll try my best to answer any questions that you may have!

AggiePharm first off thanks for fielding our questions. I know Toph01 alluded to this earlier in the discussion, but it seems not all the classes we take really require their component text book. Which courses have you noticed do not require the course book and/or absolutely require? I will make the assumption everything you don't mention falls into the category of its student dependent. It would be nice to get your opinion as most universities love to have students purchase books they don't necessary need. With y'all being the first class ever at College Station (congrats) has their been mention to the locations of our internships both for summers and during semesters starting in P2. I would make the assumption we would focus in the local College Station/Bryan and Houston areas; however I'm curious if the school has set up a plan now that we have two campuses are sharing responsibilities? Lastly I had mentioned a question to the parking situation around the Reynolds building. On a normal day do parking lots 72 and 73 have open parking? Is there another parking lot to look into if they fill up? Thanks again.
 
AggiePharm first off thanks for fielding our questions. I know Toph01 alluded to this earlier in the discussion, but it seems not all the classes we take really require their component text book. Which courses have you noticed do not require the course book and/or absolutely require? I will make the assumption everything you don't mention falls into the category of its student dependent. It would be nice to get your opinion as most universities love to have students purchase books they don't necessary need. With y'all being the first class ever at College Station (congrats) has their been mention to the locations of our internships both for summers and during semesters starting in P2. I would make the assumption we would focus in the local College Station/Bryan and Houston areas; however I'm curious if the school has set up a plan now that we have two campuses are sharing responsibilities? Lastly I had mentioned a question to the parking situation around the Reynolds building. On a normal day do parking lots 72 and 73 have open parking? Is there another parking lot to look into if they fill up? Thanks again.

Ok well first of all, its not a problem to answer any questions you may have. As far as books go, they are mostly for your own supplement if you need it. Everything you need will be on the lecture power points and/or said in class. I used an anatomy and physiology book (which the professors base their lectures on) for one test, and I realized it wasn't worth my time to read all of the chapters covered. Biochemistry is another course which you might want to use the book for, but like I said earlier, everything that you need for the test will be given to you in the lecture alone. Internships: all of the rotations during P2 year are within a 2 hour radius of here, so I know we won't be driving far. There hasn't been much talk around here about where it will be, but I THINK we are going to have some locations in Huntsville (45 min. drive) and some in Bryan. Summer internships you select wherever you want to be when you interview for them, the school doesn't send you anywhere. Similarly, if you don't want to do a summer internship, you don't have to. Parking: TRY AND GET LOT 73 OR 18...or even 98. I can not stress that enough!!!! Lot 73 is gated and a little more expensive, but very convenient (that's what I, and most people have). Lot 18 is not gated, so it's cheaper, but competition to get it is ROUGH. I know i was like #581 on the waitlist for it. Lot 72 is paid parking, so you pay per hour. YOU DO NOT WANT TO DO THAT. After 5 pm, you can park in any lot with any valid permit (including 72 which is paid parking, but sometimes that can get rough because there are a lot of vet students and medical students who also study in the Medical Science Library). If these close by lots don't pan out, you can always get a Lot 100 permit. That permit allows you to park in Lot 100 as well as in Lot 71, but both of these are a good 15-20 minute walk away, and your parking space isn't guaranteed. I used to park in lot 71 and I quickly realized that it was quite a walk, and it's even worse when it's raining or cold and also when I had to walk back at night. I found myself spending waaaaay more money than I wanted to on paid parking which sort of defeats the purpose of having a parking permit. You can always get a lot 100 permit and get on the waitlists for lots 73, 18, and 98. Slots update every Monday around 10 and you can trade in your current permit for the new one. I hope that answers all of your questions, 🙂 if not, please don't hesitate to ask. I have one question for you.... are you going to be here next year for sure?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you AggiePharmily! Hey Ethereal and Wiseguy! Nice to see future fellow classmates pop up! You guys are way ahead! Are we supposed to purchase parking permits right now and start looking for Apts? I logged in to howdy port and find I could only purchase parking permit for year 2014-2015 (of course I am not familiar with Howdy yet ) and only for the annual lot 100 at 275$. Is there a way I could specify the purchase is for Lot 73/18/98? Also, is it super tough/necessary to find an apt on shuttle route? Are there many students taking buses to Reynolds building daily? I saw one bus stop right next to Lot 72 and it seems campus bus runs every 5 min during the day.

Update: I got waitlisted on
Lot 73 (Gated, Rank 53)
Lot 18 (Ungated, Rank 488)
Lot 98 (Gated, Rank 128)
I will update my rank next monday and see how my rank goes.

AggiePharm first off thanks for fielding our questions. I know Toph01 alluded to this earlier in the discussion, but it seems not all the classes we take really require their component text book. Which courses have you noticed do not require the course book and/or absolutely require? I will make the assumption everything you don't mention falls into the category of its student dependent. It would be nice to get your opinion as most universities love to have students purchase books they don't necessary need. With y'all being the first class ever at College Station (congrats) has their been mention to the locations of our internships both for summers and during semesters starting in P2. I would make the assumption we would focus in the local College Station/Bryan and Houston areas; however I'm curious if the school has set up a plan now that we have two campuses are sharing responsibilities? Lastly I had mentioned a question to the parking situation around the Reynolds building. On a normal day do parking lots 72 and 73 have open parking? Is there another parking lot to look into if they fill up? Thanks again.

Ok well first of all, its not a problem to answer any questions you may have. As far as books go, they are mostly for your own supplement if you need it. Everything you need will be on the lecture power points and/or said in class. I used an anatomy and physiology book (which the professors base their lectures on) for one test, and I realized it wasn't worth my time to read all of the chapters covered. Biochemistry is another course which you might want to use the book for, but like I said earlier, everything that you need for the test will be given to you in the lecture alone. Internships: all of the rotations during P2 year are within a 2 hour radius of here, so I know we won't be driving far. There hasn't been much talk around here about where it will be, but I THINK we are going to have some locations in Huntsville (45 min. drive) and some in Bryan. Summer internships you select wherever you want to be when you interview for them, the school doesn't send you anywhere. Similarly, if you don't want to do a summer internship, you don't have to. Parking: TRY AND GET LOT 73 OR 18...or even 98. I can not stress that enough!!!! Lot 73 is gated and a little more expensive, but very convenient (that's what I, and most people have). Lot 18 is not gated, so it's cheaper, but competition to get it is ROUGH. I know i was like #581 on the waitlist for it. Lot 72 is paid parking, so you pay per hour. YOU DO NOT WANT TO DO THAT. After 5 pm, you can park in any lot with any valid permit (including 72 which is paid parking, but sometimes that can get rough because there are a lot of vet students and medical students who also study in the Medical Science Library). If these close by lots don't pan out, you can always get a Lot 100 permit. That permit allows you to park in Lot 100 as well as in Lot 71, but both of these are a good 15-20 minute walk away, and your parking space isn't guaranteed. I used to park in lot 71 and I quickly realized that it was quite a walk, and it's even worse when it's raining or cold and also when I had to walk back at night. I found myself spending waaaaay more money than I wanted to on paid parking which sort of defeats the purpose of having a parking permit. You can always get a lot 100 permit and get on the waitlists for lots 73, 18, and 98. Slots update every Monday around 10 and you can trade in your current permit for the new one. I hope that answers all of your questions, 🙂 if not, please don't hesitate to ask. I have one question for you.... are you going to be here next year for sure?

I'm excited I cannot wait until school starts! :joyful: I will be at college station campus.
 
Last edited:
Thank you AggiePharmily! Hey Ethereal and Wiseguy! Nice to see future fellow classmates pop up! You guys are way ahead! Are we supposed to purchase parking permits right now and start looking for Apts? I logged in to howdy port and find I could only purchase parking permit for year 2014-2015 (of course I am not familiar with Howdy yet ) and only for the annual lot 100 at 275$. Is there a way I could specify the purchase is for Lot 73/18/98? Also, is it super tough/necessary to find an apt on shuttle route? Are there many students taking buses to Reynolds building daily? I saw one bus stop right next to Lot 72 and it seems campus bus runs every 5 min during the day.

Update: I got waitlisted on
Lot 73 (Gated, Rank 53)
Lot 18 (Ungated, Rank 488)
Lot 98 (Gated, Rank 128)
I will update my rank next monday and see how my rank goes.

I'm not sure if you can get a parking permit for next year already yet. What I DO know is that if you get a permit now, which will run you about $200, you can renew it for next year. I'm not sure if you want to do that, so you might just want to wait it out until you're able to get parking permits for next year. There should be a "chat" option when you go on the transportation page so you can ask them when you can start getting on waitlists for next year 🙂
 
Thank you AggiePharmily! Hey Ethereal and Wiseguy! Nice to see future fellow classmates pop up! You guys are way ahead! Are we supposed to purchase parking permits right now and start looking for Apts? I logged in to howdy port and find I could only purchase parking permit for year 2014-2015 (of course I am not familiar with Howdy yet ) and only for the annual lot 100 at 275$. Is there a way I could specify the purchase is for Lot 73/18/98? Also, is it super tough/necessary to find an apt on shuttle route? Are there many students taking buses to Reynolds building daily? I saw one bus stop right next to Lot 72 and it seems campus bus runs every 5 min during the day.

Update: I got waitlisted on
Lot 73 (Gated, Rank 53)
Lot 18 (Ungated, Rank 488)
Lot 98 (Gated, Rank 128)
I will update my rank next monday and see how my rank goes.


I am currently an undergrad at Texas A&M College Station campus. Parking permit signups will probably begin in the beginning of April. Like AggiePharmily said, you can contact the transportation office and ask for the exact date!
 
Ok well first of all, its not a problem to answer any questions you may have. As far as books go, they are mostly for your own supplement if you need it. Everything you need will be on the lecture power points and/or said in class. I used an anatomy and physiology book (which the professors base their lectures on) for one test, and I realized it wasn't worth my time to read all of the chapters covered. Biochemistry is another course which you might want to use the book for, but like I said earlier, everything that you need for the test will be given to you in the lecture alone. Internships: all of the rotations during P2 year are within a 2 hour radius of here, so I know we won't be driving far. There hasn't been much talk around here about where it will be, but I THINK we are going to have some locations in Huntsville (45 min. drive) and some in Bryan. Summer internships you select wherever you want to be when you interview for them, the school doesn't send you anywhere. Similarly, if you don't want to do a summer internship, you don't have to. Parking: TRY AND GET LOT 73 OR 18...or even 98. I can not stress that enough!!!! Lot 73 is gated and a little more expensive, but very convenient (that's what I, and most people have). Lot 18 is not gated, so it's cheaper, but competition to get it is ROUGH. I know i was like #581 on the waitlist for it. Lot 72 is paid parking, so you pay per hour. YOU DO NOT WANT TO DO THAT. After 5 pm, you can park in any lot with any valid permit (including 72 which is paid parking, but sometimes that can get rough because there are a lot of vet students and medical students who also study in the Medical Science Library). If these close by lots don't pan out, you can always get a Lot 100 permit. That permit allows you to park in Lot 100 as well as in Lot 71, but both of these are a good 15-20 minute walk away, and your parking space isn't guaranteed. I used to park in lot 71 and I quickly realized that it was quite a walk, and it's even worse when it's raining or cold and also when I had to walk back at night. I found myself spending waaaaay more money than I wanted to on paid parking which sort of defeats the purpose of having a parking permit. You can always get a lot 100 permit and get on the waitlists for lots 73, 18, and 98. Slots update every Monday around 10 and you can trade in your current permit for the new one. I hope that answers all of your questions, 🙂 if not, please don't hesitate to ask. I have one question for you.... are you going to be here next year for sure?


AggiePharm and Owl,

You kind of read my mind with how you tailored your response, so thank you for all the insight. Sounds like buying previously used edition text books will work out nicely then. Also thank you for the heads up on parking, if I read right you still get to use lot 73 during football games correct? Also registration opens on April 15 and runs through July for parking passes, so I would wait until then "Owl" to get in the queue, btw it's not first come, first serve either. They use a classification and/or renewals to generate priority. In our case where factors are similar, they told me they randomize selection based on availability. To answer your question AggiePharm, yes I was accepted under the early decision process as part of the College Station class back in November. I'm in the process right now of securing an apartment over at Crescent Pointe starting in the summer (roughly 5 miles to the North-East). Covered garage was an important amenity that many of the places in College Station do not provide. I do have one question about our malpractice insurance we have to purchase before we work with patients. Is this normally purchased through the school's Blue Cross/Blue Shield plan, or are students using something else? If so what is the normal monthly fees on something like that? Also if you use the school medical insurance as well, I was kinda curious on the monthly rates with that too. These may not apply now, but I was curious if you knew something more about them, thanks.
 
AggiePharm and Owl,

You kind of read my mind with how you tailored your response, so thank you for all the insight. Sounds like buying previously used edition text books will work out nicely then. Also thank you for the heads up on parking, if I read right you still get to use lot 73 during football games correct? Also registration opens on April 15 and runs through July for parking passes, so I would wait until then "Owl" to get in the queue, btw it's not first come, first serve either. They use a classification and/or renewals to generate priority. In our case where factors are similar, they told me they randomize selection based on availability. To answer your question AggiePharm, yes I was accepted under the early decision process as part of the College Station class back in November. I'm in the process right now of securing an apartment over at Crescent Pointe starting in the summer (roughly 5 miles to the North-East). Covered garage was an important amenity that many of the places in College Station do not provide. I do have one question about our malpractice insurance we have to purchase before we work with patients. Is this normally purchased through the school's Blue Cross/Blue Shield plan, or are students using something else? If so what is the normal monthly fees on something like that? Also if you use the school medical insurance as well, I was kinda curious on the monthly rates with that too. These may not apply now, but I was curious if you knew something more about them, thanks.
We don't have to buy malpractice insurance. As far as school insurance, it runs about $540 for the fall and a little over $1000 for the spring/summer according to one of my classmates. And yes you can park there for the games. You should really look into the apartments that are close to campus so you can see all of your options. A lot of places have move in specials too
 
Thank you AggiePharmily! Hey Ethereal and Wiseguy! Nice to see future fellow classmates pop up! You guys are way ahead! Are we supposed to purchase parking permits right now and start looking for Apts? I logged in to howdy port and find I could only purchase parking permit for year 2014-2015 (of course I am not familiar with Howdy yet ) and only for the annual lot 100 at 275$. Is there a way I could specify the purchase is for Lot 73/18/98? Also, is it super tough/necessary to find an apt on shuttle route? Are there many students taking buses to Reynolds building daily? I saw one bus stop right next to Lot 72 and it seems campus bus runs every 5 min during the day.

Update: I got waitlisted on
Lot 73 (Gated, Rank 53)
Lot 18 (Ungated, Rank 488)
Lot 98 (Gated, Rank 128)
I will update my rank next monday and see how my rank goes.
btw, lot 114 is good too
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
We don't have to buy malpractice insurance. As far as school insurance, it runs about $540 for the fall and a little over $1000 for the spring/summer according to one of my classmates. And yes you can park there for the games. You should really look into the apartments that are close to campus so you can see all of your options. A lot of places have move in specials too

Aggie,

It seems I found our answer to the profession liability insurance aka malpractice insurance (http://www.tamuk.edu/finance/risk/insurance-services/liability.html). "Texas A&M University-Kingsville requires each student to purchase professional liability insurance prior to working with patients. Currently, we are self-insured and payment of liability insurance fees is included in your tuition bill. " In other words they bill us in secret, and it also goes on to say it covers rotations as well. I still think its funny that this billing option still exists (https://secure.touchnet.com/C21490_ustores/web/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCTID=3867). Wonder if I get two day free shipping with this. Thanks for the heads up on the other insurance, believe it or not approx $1600 a year for medical insurance is a real bargain. I appreciate your opinion on location to live, and for most students I would say your absolutely right. However at 29, I kinda need my space away from chaos of college life 🙂
 
Ether,

The link you gave us for malpractice is for College of Medicine? Also your face looks much younger than your wording (at least on interview day😛). I did some google research too, and found most students recommended areas south of Texas Avenue, south of southwest parkway, the more further south, the better. I am currently looking at apts in the Wolf Pen Creek Park area. The view is gorgeous!
 
Ether,

The link you gave us for malpractice is for College of Medicine? Also your face looks much younger than your wording (at least on interview day😛). I did some google research too, and found most students recommended areas south of Texas Avenue, south of southwest parkway, the more further south, the better. I am currently looking at apts in the Wolf Pen Creek Park area. The view is gorgeous!

Owl,

Ha fountain of youth right. The College of Medicine and Pharmacy are very similar in how they approach residencies; profession liability insurance is what covers pharmacists in the workplace, so that's what drove the question originally (http://www.hpso.com/profession/pharmacist.jsp). Either way it seems, it would be covered by the institution, whether we need it or not. Wolf Creek looks nice, in fact I did look into them when I first started searching, especially for the value (free internet and cable is huge). They remind me of the apartment I shared in my undergraduate days 🙂 When are you planning to move in/into the area?
 
Probably in May or June after the pre-orientation day. I am still finishing up the last few pre-requisites. Hope y'all have fun before school starts!
 
Has anyone received acceptance from the regular decision deadline? Congrats to those who received early decision acceptances!!
 
They told my group they'd try to send out acceptance letters within a week and a half. I was interviewed last Thursday. So roughly next Tuesday? The waiiit...
 
Hello Everyone!! I'm a P3 in Kingsville (obviously) and would like to apologize for not being on here sooner. When I applied to Texas A&M this was an awesome platform for me to get many of my questions answered and honestly, I just have not had much time. First, congratulations to all of you who got an interview and early decision to matriculate! I know the waiting game is a nail biter but just hang tight. If you got an interview you are an awesome candidate to be at our school. If I can answer any questions, please let me know. Good Luck!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello Everyone!! I'm a P3 in Kingsville (obviously) and would like to apologize for not being on here sooner. When I applied to Texas A&M this was an awesome platform for me to get many of my questions answered and honestly, I just have not had much time. First, congratulations to all of you who got an interview and early decision to matriculate! I know the waiting game is a nail biter but just hang tight. If you got an interview you are an awesome candidate to be at our school. If I can answer any questions, please let me know. Good Luck!!

This is a really silly question, but how was your transition from undergrad to pharmacy school? If I get in, I won't have my bachelor's degree so I'm worried that I'll be really behind my classmates.
 
This is a really silly question, but how was your transition from undergrad to pharmacy school? If I get in, I won't have my bachelor's degree so I'm worried that I'll be really behind my classmates.

I am a non-traditional student and had been out of most undergraduate courses for approximately 8 years before entering pharmacy school. The class of 2016 has the most students who have a degree in one class, but honestly, we all fair just the same as students who do not have a bachelors degree. Our school does a good job preparing you for the rigors of pharmacy school, regardless if you have a bachelors degree or not. You should not fall behind or have a hard time as long as you do not get behind in studying. Time management seems to be the challenge for most students.
 
On the curriculum, what does IPT stand for?

IPT is an acronym for Integrated Pharmacotherapy courses. The IPT courses are an organ based approach to pharmacotherapy that combine the pathophysiology, medicinal chemistry, pharmacology and therapeutics of specific organ systems. Each course provides a comprehensive overview of the major therapeutic drug classes. You will have two IPT courses each semester starting with your P2 year for a total of eight.
 
I am a non-traditional student and had been out of most undergraduate courses for approximately 8 years before entering pharmacy school. The class of 2016 has the most students who have a degree in one class, but honestly, we all fair just the same as students who do not have a bachelors degree. Our school does a good job preparing you for the rigors of pharmacy school, regardless if you have a bachelors degree or not. You should not fall behind or have a hard time as long as you do not get behind in studying. Time management seems to be the challenge for most students.

Thank you! This is really reassuring! I was just worried because some students I have talked to are really struggling with biochem and physiology as P1s and they've taken it before at an undergraduate level and I won't finish the basic prereqs until this spring.
 
I got my acceptance via email and then the hard copy came in the mail shortly afterwards. I would think the same for regular decision candidates.
 
Please submit your FASFA 003632 is Texas A&M 's code. 🙂 Submit regardless of whether you know your acceptance or not...it will still need to be submitted into the system.
 
I just received my acceptance call from Dr Sawyer!! God am soo excited and thankful. I interviewed on the morning of 2/6/15. I was selected for the Kingsville campus which was also my first choice. Best of luck to everyone 🙂
 
I just received my acceptance call from Dr Sawyer!! God am soo excited and thankful. I interviewed on the morning of 2/6/15. I was selected for the Kingsville campus which was also my first choice. Best of luck to everyone 🙂
Me too. Got the call about an hour ago from Dr. Sawyer.
 
Wow I was totally caught off guard since I didn't think they'd send out acceptances until next week. I was very surprised when I got the call and all I could do was say thank you and that's great repeatedly.
 
I just received my acceptance call from Dr Sawyer!! God am soo excited and thankful. I interviewed on the morning of 2/6/15. I was selected for the Kingsville campus which was also my first choice. Best of luck to everyone 🙂

Congratulations! I received my acceptance call today too! And I also interviewed in the morning on 2/6/15!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wow I was totally caught off guard since I didn't think they'd send out acceptances until next week. I was very surprised when I got the call and all I could do was say thank you and that's great repeatedly.

I was doing the same thing, I don't even remember anything besides "I have some very good news for you..." lol