Texas A&M

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharm B

HansomWare
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone applying this year? These threads are always a great way to meet your fellow applicants, talk to current students, and get a lot of your questions answered!

Best of luck. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Too early :p

J/K, go ahead and fire away with your questions.

Hi, I plan on applying once they update their PharmCAS page. In the meantime I would like to get insight about the admissions process, and pharmacy experience at A &M from current students. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Regarding the application process, PharmCAS is the biggest change this year. If the rest of the process is similar to past years, the admissions committee will offer interview invites to a top portion of the applicants (I think 250-300?), conduct those interviews, and then select roughly 87 students to be part of the 2017 cohort.

In the past, they used a points system (posted previously in other A&M threads in this forum), where your Pre-Req GPA, PCAT, Letters of Recommendation, Writing Sample (Interview Day), and Interview were all given a point value. Supposedly there are bonus points for things like being a Certified Pharmacy Technician, being from the South Texas area, etc. I've always heard about these bonus points, but I've never had them confirmed by the administration.

Biggest thing is landing the interview, so your pre-interview stuff is what you should focus on: GPA, PCAT, and letters of recommendation.

Thank you for the insight, should you think of any other information please do share. Thanks again.

2012 grad here. I'll give you some insight. For my class, I believe everyone that passed the boards has a job or residency. A few people have really sweet jobs in great locations, but most people are doing stuff like floating for Walmart to get the area they want. Or suffering 14 hour, lunchless shifts at CVS.

I know of very few people in a hospital job, even for people applying to Timbuktu. Competition is fierce, and literally half of new licenses granted are for out of state people coming to Texas because their home state has almost zero jobs (you can check the TSBP data for this). I don't see how the influx of people can continue when we have 7, soon to be 8 schools. Plus nobody is retiring.

Many of my classmates were successful in finding residencies, but I don't know what they will do after they finish. There aren't many super clinical jobs and many people wind up with jobs that didn't need the residency. Most hospitals I've seen (ie, NOT Dallas) hire people without residencies as "clinical staff" and they do clinical stuff. So many people are doing residencies now and competing for few spots that it's looking like PGY-2 will be the norm. At least one school has a PGY-3 option. Might as well have gone to med school at that point.

On top of all this, the economy sucks. Hospital censuses in Texas are lower because people are uninsured at a much worse rate than before. Fewer patients = fewer jobs/hours. Reimbursement rates for medicaid changed, and a whole bunch of indies went out of business this past year. If you believe that we'll be in an economic boom by 2017, I'd say go for pharmacy. If not, you may very well have a difficult future. ONLY go into pharmacy is you truly love it or have a good reason (eg, your family owns a pharmacy).

Thanks for the information. I know there are now 7 schools of pharmacy in Texas, but what's the 8th one?

University of North Texas is supposed to open in the near future. Also, I consider the count to be 8 because Tech basically has two schools.

1) UH
2) TSU
3) UT
4) A&M
5) Texas Tech Abilene
6) Texas Tech Lubbock
7) Incarnate Word
8) UNT

And like I said before, don't forget that 50% of licenses are from out of state.

Interesting, I didn't know tech had two campuses, but then again I never looked too closely into their pharmacy program.

Once I receive my PharmD I want to work in the community/hospital side of pharmacy for a while. My heart ultimately lies in the research side of pharmacy. What can you tell me about prospects and such for that side of things? Thanks.

Community and hospital are very different. The fact that you lump those together, without any preference and then mention research as your ultimate goal tells me that you should just be pursuing the research path.

Research with a PharmD exists, but opportunities are very limited. Most real research requires a master's or a PhD. I really think you should be exploring those paths for a research career.

I have worked in both hospital and community settings of pharmacy so I am well aware of the difference. At the time I was typing it just happened to be convenient to insert a forward slash.

Either way you are right about research being what I should stick with. I am actively looking into school's that offer the PharmD/PhD route.

Thanks again for the response, and congratulations on graduating. I can't wait to get to that point as well.

Does anyone know last year's entering class stats?
I saw 2011 was a 3.38oGPA and 3.31 science/math and that seems kinda low compared to other schools in the state.
Anyone have any feedback on this?

I'm not sure why the current class of 2016 statistics are not posted. I would expect them to be similar to what is posted. But here is a run down of what is posted as well as a little comparison with PharmCAS (sorry about the formatting):

Year Applicants Seats Science GPA Cumulative GPA PharmCAS Science GPA PharmCAS Cumulative
2006 575 76 3.42 3.37
2007 604 77 3.26 3.28
2008 583 87 3.38 3.39
2009 518 87 3.27 3.29
2010 440 87 3.22 3.26
2011 522 87 3.31 3.38 3.11 3.25

So for the PharmCAS data available (I did not do an exhaustive search), A&M ranks higher in science and cumulative GPAs. Remember also that GPA is only ONE component of the application process. PCAT score, letters of recommendation and the interview also count toward admissions. Also realize not everyone entering pharmacy school will have a bachelor's degree and 2 years of grades may skew the data higher than 4 years. However, in my opinion I think there will come a day when all schools will require a bachelor's before enrollment. I think that is a least a small way ACPE could limit applicants and combat the glut of new pharmacists. If pharmacy is what you want to do great, go for it. If you are going for easy $$$, then think again. As an A&M grad I was very happy with my experience and felt prepared to go into practice. I am currently a PGY1 resident and am continuing to learn and hone my skills. There are pros/cons to every profession, sure the economy sucks that is the reality. However, I don't think there is a better place you could be right now than in school trying to improve yourself. Do what you can to be a great applicant, distinguish yourself, and then in pharmacy school do the same things. If you think you can sit back for four years in school and expect a great job, it isn't gong to happen.

All that said, if anyone wants to go to pharmacy school give A&M a look. I had a good experience, and am now in a great place because of it.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I see that they require 40% as minimum pcat. what's the typical "minimum" in actually getting an interview invite? (like from past statistics?)

Last edited:
I'm not sure why the current class of 2016 statistics are not posted. I would expect them to be similar to what is posted. But here is a run down of what is posted as well as a little comparison with PharmCAS (sorry about the formatting):

Year Applicants Seats Science GPA Cumulative GPA PharmCAS Science GPA PharmCAS Cumulative
2006 575 76 3.42 3.37
2007 604 77 3.26 3.28
2008 583 87 3.38 3.39
2009 518 87 3.27 3.29
2010 440 87 3.22 3.26
2011 522 87 3.31 3.38 3.11 3.25

So for the PharmCAS data available (I did not do an exhaustive search), A&M ranks higher in science and cumulative GPAs. Remember also that GPA is only ONE component of the application process. PCAT score, letters of recommendation and the interview also count toward admissions. Also realize not everyone entering pharmacy school will have a bachelor's degree and 2 years of grades may skew the data higher than 4 years. However, in my opinion I think there will come a day when all schools will require a bachelor's before enrollment. I think that is a least a small way ACPE could limit applicants and combat the glut of new pharmacists. If pharmacy is what you want to do great, go for it. If you are going for easy $$$, then think again. As an A&M grad I was very happy with my experience and felt prepared to go into practice. I am currently a PGY1 resident and am continuing to learn and hone my skills. There are pros/cons to every profession, sure the economy sucks that is the reality. However, I don't think there is a better place you could be right now than in school trying to improve yourself. Do what you can to be a great applicant, distinguish yourself, and then in pharmacy school do the same things. If you think you can sit back for four years in school and expect a great job, it isn't gong to happen.

All that said, if anyone wants to go to pharmacy school give A&M a look. I had a good experience, and am now in a great place because of it.

Can you share us your PCAT score ? and if you know the competitive of PCAT score , i think it's sure to help us to compare

Can you share us your PCAT score ? and if you know the competitive of PCAT score , i think it's sure to help us to compare

I see that they require 40% as minimum pcat. what's the typical "minimum" in actually getting an interview invite? (like from past statistics?)

Unfortunately there are not PCAT scores posted from previous admission cycles. I don't know why. I'm sure doing from Google searching may turn these up as they have to be reported some where.

As for my own admission experience: I had a 2.91 GPA with PCAT scores of 87 in October 2006, and 96 or 97 in October 2007. I double majored in Chem and Biology and graduated with a BS. I did not have experience going into school. I felt my interview went alright and had strong letters of recommendation. I hope this helps.

Unfortunately there are not PCAT scores posted from previous admission cycles. I don't know why. I'm sure doing from Google searching may turn these up as they have to be reported some where.

As for my own admission experience: I had a 2.91 GPA with PCAT scores of 87 in October 2006, and 96 or 97 in October 2007. I double majored in Chem and Biology and graduated with a BS. I did not have experience going into school. I felt my interview went alright and had strong letters of recommendation. I hope this helps.

thank you for the insight! :D it's really hard to get above 70% composite on the pcat; well, at least for me.

I have a 3.2GPA & a 57% PCAT, what are my chances? (also planning to retake in September.)

thank you for the insight! :D it's really hard to get above 70% composite on the pcat; well, at least for me.

I have a 3.2GPA & a 57% PCAT, what are my chances? (also planning to retake in September.)

It all depends. What is the break down of your PCAT? In my opinion the highest areas on the PCAT should be Chem, Biology, and Math and should be above 70 maybe 75. To be a really competitive applicant your GPA is good but PCAT should be above 75. Definitely retake in September shoot for 80s. I studied from the KAPLAN book. Also what extracurricular activities do you have? Work experience? Clubs? leadership? All of these are factors. After serving on the admissions committee and interviewing candidates, someone with a high GPA, PCAT can blow it with no personality or extracurriculars. Often it is not about the best candidate on paper, but the one who will fit in, in a professional environment.

So to more directly answer your question, "What are [your] chances?" Average. But bring up the PCAT and you'll improve those chances.

It all depends. What is the break down of your PCAT? In my opinion the highest areas on the PCAT should be Chem, Biology, and Math and should be above 70 maybe 75. To be a really competitive applicant your GPA is good but PCAT should be above 75. Definitely retake in September shoot for 80s. I studied from the KAPLAN book. Also what extracurricular activities do you have? Work experience? Clubs? leadership? All of these are factors. After serving on the admissions committee and interviewing candidates, someone with a high GPA, PCAT can blow it with no personality or extracurriculars. Often it is not about the best candidate on paper, but the one who will fit in, in a professional environment.

So to more directly answer your question, "What are [your] chances?" Average. But bring up the PCAT and you'll improve those chances.

that sounds good. my math & chem are above 80% but biology only 30%. Verbal is 58% and Reading is 30%.

University of North Texas is supposed to open in the near future. Also, I consider the count to be 8 because Tech basically has two schools.

1) UH
2) TSU
3) UT
4) A&M
5) Texas Tech Abilene
6) Texas Tech Lubbock
7) Incarnate Word
8) UNT

And like I said before, don't forget that 50% of licenses are from out of state.

In case you were not aware, UNT has been denied on-site evaluations by ACPE as of the June 2012 meeting. Unfortunately, they will be accredited eventually but anything hampering them down right now is a huge plus for everyone.

Source: https://www.acpe-accredit.org/pdf/ReportofProceedingsJune2012.pdf
Look at the bottom of the 3rd page.

how would this be huge plus for everyone? :confused:

There's a glut of pharmacists. Going by TSBP data, about half of pharmacists here are from out of state. People come here for jobs because their state is very saturated. For some states (very low population to pharmacy school ratio), this has been going on for ages. But it's picked up in recent years.

When that schools opens, each year there will be 100 less job opportunities for schools that rely on Texas. Or at least there will be intense competition. I know someone will say BUT COMPETITION IS GOOD, but you tell that to people who go $100 to $200k in debt and expect to be able to pay it back.

Oh yes, and how does it affect everyone? Glut = depression of wages for those who can actually find jobs.

Last edited:
There's a glut of pharmacists. Going by TSBP data, about half of pharmacists here are from out of state. People come here for jobs because their state is very saturated. For some states (very low population to pharmacy school ratio), this has been going on for ages. But it's picked up in recent years.

When that schools opens, each year there will be 100 less job opportunities for schools that rely on Texas. Or at least there will be intense competition. I know someone will say BUT COMPETITION IS GOOD, but you tell that to people who go $100 to $200k in debt and expect to be able to pay it back.

Oh yes, and how does it affect everyone? Glut = depression of wages for those who can actually find jobs.

What about the pharmacist shortage that is supposed to go on until 2020?

What about the pharmacist shortage that is supposed to go on until 2020?

That's what the BLS would have you believe. Yes there are jobs available but in rural areas that you would have to move for. If you are flexible then that's great for you, if not good luck. Major cities in Texas (Dallas, Austin, Houston, i.e. places with a pharmacy school) are saturated. The supposed shortage was based on the baby boomer generation reaching medicare age and needing more medications etc. So more and more schools opened. I'm not one for doom and gloom but unless you can set yourself apart or have a for sure job before entering school it will be tough. Just look at the residency match statistics the last few years approximately 2268 of 3709 participants matched. Things are getting competitive. But I digress.

To comment on the UNT situation. It is good and bad. Good because that delays an influx of new pharmacists into an already saturated market in 2018 or so. Bad because those of us (me!) who are looking for faculty positions in a few years may have it rough. But that's ok.

With all that said, I think this is getting away from the intended design of this thread which is to discuss Texas A&M and its program. If any one has specific questions or comments, there are current students and a few alumni roaming around as resources.

Nope. The initial acceptance letters are all emailed out at the same time, and the wait list moves as acceptances are declined. Last minute acceptances are not unheard of. I think someone in my class got in within a few days of P1 year starting.

So it doesn't matter if I send in my application early as long as it's before the deadline?

So on Tuesday, Dean Reddy gave a State of the College address. He of course mentioned the TAMU/HSC realignment that's currently being investigated. If all goes well, students attending the College of Pharmacy will officially be Aggies.

But how are we Aggies if we attend a school in Kingsville? They thought of that, too. ;)

He announced that they are investigating a potential second pharmacy campus in College Station, possibly as early as Fall of 2013. :love:

I'm really interested in this school. I'll be sticking around to see how it goes for some of you.

Does anyone know if Texas A&M will ONLY accept letters of recommendation through PharmCAS?
The only reason I ask is because of their requirements for 2 letters from professors... My 3 letters of recommendations are all strictly from pharmacist and I probably won't be able to get "good" rec letters from professors until at least closer to the end of this fall semesters.

Though Texas A&M is my first choice, I really don't want to limit myself to one school because of this requirement. Planned on submitting my application by next week as Tech and UT do not have any specific requirement for there LOR's.

Also... Do you guys think it would be better to submit 3 "strong" LOR's all from pharmacist or should I exclude the weakest one and try to get it from an advisor or professor?

Thanks all!

Applicant Page said:
Prospective students should submit two recommendations from college professors, and one from an employer, advisor, or college or university administrator (mentor or teaching assistant recommendation forms are not accepted).
That part sounds pretty cut and dry if you're someone who is still attending school, but...

Applicants who have been out of a college or university for a number of years must submit three recommendation forms to PharmCAS from a combination of the following categories: professors, pharmacists, other health care professionals (e.g., medicine, nursing, dentistry), or current and previous employers.

If you took a break to work for a while, I would think you could use that second set of criteria.

Your best bet, as always, is to call the admissions office and ask them for an official verdict. Feel free to let us know what they say!

That part sounds pretty cut and dry if you're someone who is still attending school, but...

If you took a break to work for a while, I would think you could use that second set of criteria.

Your best bet, as always, is to call the admissions office and ask them for an official verdict. Feel free to let us know what they say!

Going to try to call after I get out of class... Called them a few days ago and the person said they really push for LOR's from professors if your still in school (me). If they won't let me submit outside of PharmCAS then I guess I won't be applying to a&m:( But ill let yall know what they say!

So on Tuesday, Dean Reddy gave a State of the College address. He of course mentioned the TAMU/HSC realignment that's currently being investigated. If all goes well, students attending the College of Pharmacy will officially be Aggies.

But how are we Aggies if we attend a school in Kingsville? They thought of that, too. ;)

He announced that they are investigating a potential second pharmacy campus in College Station, possibly as early as Fall of 2013. :love:

Very interesting. I am currently an undergraduate at Texas A&M in College Station who is thinking about going to pharmacy school after graduation (May 2014). It would be nice to continue my education at College Station since it's a bit closer to home.

I sent in my supplemental application this past weekend, how long does it usually take for A&M to get back to us about if we have a interview?

This just makes me a lil upset. The whole reason why TAMUK changed their name was so that they could have more $$ and that A&M would bring a professional school to the under served south texas area. Now they are going to take away from the school by providing another campus? well anyway I've heard from a med school student that some of these changes aren't really good and she was even debating getting out of the recruiting aspect because she just doesn't believe in the direction that the school is going. I'm a Baylor grad so A&M has not left a good taste in my mouth after the whole big 12 fiasco so I'm really doubtful about the leadership in this administration. But I'm from Alice so to go to a school near my family is the only thing that is drawing me to this program.

This just makes me a lil upset. The whole reason why TAMUK changed their name was so that they could have more $$ and that A&M would bring a professional school to the under served south texas area. Now they are going to take away from the school by providing another campus? well anyway I've heard from a med school student that some of these changes aren't really good and she was even debating getting out of the recruiting aspect because she just doesn't believe in the direction that the school is going. I'm a Baylor grad so A&M has not left a good taste in my mouth after the whole big 12 fiasco so I'm really doubtful about the leadership in this administration. But I'm from Alice so to go to a school near my family is the only thing that is drawing me to this program.

I wouldn't let the A&M Chancellor and his administrative blunder dissuade you from applying. I don't see this working out well as I have written about elsewhere. But perhaps I might be able to ease some concern.

When I was a student and was in meetings with HSC and COP administration the idea of a second campus was talked about and rumored but was not official. As I understand it, according to the law that established the COP in Kingsville, the COP promised ~120 graduates per year. Unfortunately the building that was started by TAMUK and finished by the HSC was too small to accommodate that many students. So realizing the legal mandate it is necessary to build or expand to fulfill the promised number of pharmacists. There is also talk of further expansion on the TAMUK campus (at least while I was there). The expansion of a second campus to Bryan/CS is two fold: 1. to increase enrollment (the legal requirement) and 2. to bring everything under the Main A&M administrative umbrella (the Chancellor's ploy to get more "research" $$).

The main A&M administration may not (hopefully) be involved in the day-to-day operations of the school. There is still local administration (Dean Reddy, Dr. Peterson, Robertson, etc.) that are more hands-on and knowledgeable about the goings-on in Kingsville. The school is heavy on technology and broadcasting lectures due to faculty involvement with rotation sites, so that probably wouldn't change.

As a plus, and this is just may opinion, I think a campus in Bryan/CS opens more opportunity for rotation sites, especially Veterinary Pharmacy as A&M has one of the best Veterinary schools in the country.

What all this boils down to is, I would not base your decision to go the A&M based on the administration that's 4-6 hours away. Its the faculty, COP administration, your feel for the COP, and personal choice that matters. Living close by I would see about a tour or visit the building if you haven't already. In the end it's up to you.

I wouldn't let the A&M Chancellor and his administrative blunder dissuade you from applying. I don't see this working out well as I have written about elsewhere. But perhaps I might be able to ease some concern.

When I was a student and was in meetings with HSC and COP administration the idea of a second campus was talked about and rumored but was not official. As I understand it, according to the law that established the COP in Kingsville, the COP promised ~120 graduates per year. Unfortunately the building that was started by TAMUK and finished by the HSC was too small to accommodate that many students. So realizing the legal mandate it is necessary to build or expand to fulfill the promised number of pharmacists. There is also talk of further expansion on the TAMUK campus (at least while I was there). The expansion of a second campus to Bryan/CS is two fold: 1. to increase enrollment (the legal requirement) and 2. to bring everything under the Main A&M administrative umbrella (the Chancellor's ploy to get more "research" $$).

The main A&M administration may not (hopefully) be involved in the day-to-day operations of the school. There is still local administration (Dean Reddy, Dr. Peterson, Robertson, etc.) that are more hands-on and knowledgeable about the goings-on in Kingsville. The school is heavy on technology and broadcasting lectures due to faculty involvement with rotation sites, so that probably wouldn't change.

As a plus, and this is just may opinion, I think a campus in Bryan/CS opens more opportunity for rotation sites, especially Veterinary Pharmacy as A&M has one of the best Veterinary schools in the country.

What all this boils down to is, I would not base your decision to go the A&M based on the administration that's 4-6 hours away. Its the faculty, COP administration, your feel for the COP, and personal choice that matters. Living close by I would see about a tour or visit the building if you haven't already. In the end it's up to you.

I understand your point that I shouldn't solely base my decision on the A&M system's administration. However it is a fact that I can't ignore. I've been there several times and talked to several faculty members. I use to work for one of the preceptors there too. I do enjoy the ppl there but the A&M system is a definite con for me. Right now A&M is my #1 choice b/c of its location.

good luck to everyone applying this year!

Hey P1 here, not sure if anyone answered this or not, this is what our class stats look like:

For the fall 2012 class the College received 480 applications for 87 seats.

Consequently, the application process is very competitive. Grade point average is important. The entering class averaged a 3.35 on the required pre-pharmacy classes and a 3.34 GPA on prerequisite math/science/English/communication classes.

In this class, the number of students who earned a bachelor’s degree or higher upon enrollment is approximately 74%.

The average age for the entering class was approximately 24, with an age range of 19-37. The class gender is approximately 49% female and 51% male.

The class ethnicity consists of 28% Asian, 6% Black, 41% Hispanic, 26% White, and 1% Other.

Hey P1 here, not sure if anyone answered this or not, this is what our class stats look like:

For the fall 2012 class the College received 480 applications for 87 seats.

Consequently, the application process is very competitive. Grade point average is important. The entering class averaged a 3.35 on the required pre-pharmacy classes and a 3.34 GPA on prerequisite math/science/English/communication classes.

In this class, the number of students who earned a bachelor’s degree or higher upon enrollment is approximately 74%.

The average age for the entering class was approximately 24, with an age range of 19-37. The class gender is approximately 49% female and 51% male.

The class ethnicity consists of 28% Asian, 6% Black, 41% Hispanic, 26% White, and 1% Other.

What's the average PCAT score that they've accepted in the past years???

They don't post the average, however the minimum is 45. The higher the better obviously, but I know people who have gotten in with 50's

Does anybody know when the interviews are and when they will announce interview invites?

No clue, last year they didn't use pharmcas, and the applications were due later. I assume about a month or 2 after the applications are due

The Student Affairs calendar and the website shows interviews dates are on February 7, 8, 14, 15, 21.

Application deadline is on Monday! December 3rd. Anyone applying?