This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aggie.pt.2020

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy!

I noticed there was not a forum for this year's wave for Texas applicants. I was wondering if someone could give me insight on my chances? Feel free to post stats, acceptances, or any other helpful info.

Good luck everyone!!!

Here are mine:

School: Texas A&M
Major: Biology
Minor: Psychology
cGPA: 3.68
pre-req GPA: 3.57-3.7 (depends on school)
GRE: 152V, 154Q, 4 AW

Hours: 40 in rehabilitation hospital, 40 in acute, 75 in outpatient, 25 in pediatric, plan on trying to get some hours in home health

Extracurricular: Involved in the Baptist Student ministry as both a member and a leader, several ministry teams and coordinator of team at local church, member of Physical Therapy Society, leader of an intern program at my job, intramural vb and bb

Work: Have been working as a certified pharmacy tech for the past 3 years

Volunteer: ministry teams, sports camp counselor, special Olympics through church, Big Event

Interviews: Hardin-Simmons 11/15 (offered 9/4) Texas Tech 9/27 (offered 9/12) UMHB 10/4 (offered 9/16) UNT 11/1 (offered 10/8) UTMB 1/10 (offered 12/13)

Waitlisted: Texas Tech (12/18)

Acceptances: UMHB (10/8) UTMB (2/6)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Posting for friend:

GPA: 3.25 undergrad, 4.00 post bacc (7 hrs), cumulative: 3.25
GRE: 154V, 157Q, 3.5W
Extras: Mediocre...nothing too impressive, non traditional student

Applied: Baylor Hybrid, USA, UIW, Tech, Texas State, UTEP
Interviews: UIW (Received last week)
Rejections:
Acceptance:

Submitted application first week of August.

You seem like a fairly typical candidate. Your GRE score could be better but your pre-req GPA makes up for it. I know people that got into my school with less than your GRE score so don't fret. Don't retake it either--not worth it.

You should be fine. Just nail the essays and mind the deadlines.
Howdy!

I noticed there was not a forum for this year's wave for Texas applicants. I was wondering if someone could give me insight on my chances? Feel free to post stats, acceptances, or any other helpful info.

Good luck everyone!!!

Here are mine:

Hours: 40 in rehabilitation hospital, 40 in acute, 75 in outpatient, 25 in pediatric, plan on trying to get some hours in home health

Extracurricular: Involved in the Baptist Student ministry as both a member and a leader, several ministry teams and coordinator of team at local church, member of Physical Therapy Society, leader of an intern program at my job, intramural vb and bb

Volunteer: ministry teams, sports camp counselor, special Olympics through church, Big Event

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there, your friend's stats could be better. The GPA is pretty low, but I know classmates that had about a 3.2 and even a 3 on their GRE AW. It took those classmates 3 rounds of applying to get in..so if they don't get in right away then tell them to keep trying. While your friend might feel pretty unimpressive, some folks get in by showing up to tour days and talking to faculty. Somehow that stuff works. Guess it shows dedication and willingness to drop some $$ on visiting schools. I'd avoid UIW as much as possible. A PT I shadowed regrets going there and is already overwhelmed with his loans. I wouldn't really go to USA either unless it's like their third round applying and they don't get in anywhere else.

Good luck!
Posting for friend:

GPA: 3.25 undergrad, 4.00 post bacc (7 hrs), cumulative: 3.25
GRE: 154V, 157Q, 3.5W
Extras: Mediocre...nothing too impressive, non traditional student

Applied: Baylor Hybrid, USA, UIW, Tech, Texas State, UTEP
Interviews: UIW (Received last week)
Rejections:
Acceptance:

Submitted application first week of August.

Last edited:
Just wanted to get an idea of my chances! Also contemplating on retaking the GRE for a better quant score, should I?

Major: Honors Exercise Science
cGPA: 3.93
pre-req GPA: 3.9
GRE: 156V, 153Q, 4.5 AW

Hours: 600 in outpatient ortho as a tech, 15 in acute, 20 in pediatric, 20 in home health, 10 in SNF
(should I keep getting more hours or am I good?)

Extracurricular: summer conditioning coach for an offseason program for elementary-highschoolers for 3 years, fitness center attendant at university gym for 1 year, PT tech for 1 year, biomechanics supplemental instructor, peer mentor for sorority, intramural chair for sorority, public relations chair for the pre-PT club, research on thermodynamics for honors thesis

LOR: 1 from PT boss, 1 from PT I have shadowed, 1 from professor/research mentor, 1 from professor/leader of supplemental instruction course

Applying: UTSW, UNT, UTHSA, TXST, Baylor, TTU, U of Colorado, Regis, U of Kansas MC, U of Arkansas MS, U of Central Arkansas

School: Midwestern State University
cGPA: 3.41
pre-req GPA: 3.4-3.6 (depends on school)
GRE: 146V, 142Q, 3.5 AW

Hours: 40 inpatient, 1600 in outpatient,

Extracurricular: intramural vb/soccer, Exploring Boy Scouts of America Pre-Health, MCOSME mentor, Pre-Professional Health Science Club,

Work: Rehab Tech, Server

Volunteer: LifeWorks, NTRC Live Auction, The Upside Down Syndrome 5K, Texas Ranch Round up.

Interviews: UNTHSC, UMHB, UNE, Harding University, Chatham University, University of Saint Augustine (Austin).

Accepted:

Rejected: UNE

There are other schools I applied to but haven't heard back from yet.

Last edited:
Howdy, I was wondering if anyone has gotten any interview offers from Tech? I got an email last week saying it was through primary evaluation, confirming all my materials. I was just wondering if anyone had an idea of the timeline?

Just wanted to get an idea of my chances! Also contemplating on retaking the GRE for a better quant score, should I?

Hours: 600 in outpatient ortho as a tech, 15 in acute, 20 in pediatric, 20 in home health, 10 in SNF

Extracurricular: summer conditioning coach for an offseason program for elementary-highschoolers for 3 years, fitness center attendant at university gym for 1 year, PT tech for 1 year, biomechanics supplemental instructor, peer mentor for sorority, intramural chair for sorority, public relations chair for the pre-PT club, research on thermodynamics for honors thesis

LOR: 1 from PT boss, 1 from PT I have shadowed, 1 from professor/research mentor, 1 from professor/leader of supplemental instruction course

Applying: UTSW, UNT, UTHSA, TXST, Baylor, TTU, U of Colorado, Regis, U of Kansas MC, U of Arkansas MS, U of Central Arkansas
You'll be fine. I wouldn't retake the GRE, if I were you. But if you do, I would work to get the verbal and AW up, if anything. My professors have said they look for high verbal and AW. Anecdotal, but: my GPA was on par to yours (c:3.88, pre-req 4.0) and my math GRE was much lower than yours, but my verbal and AW were high. I don't think they care past the required hours. I got the bare minimum and got into 3-4 schools. You've pretty much proved you can handle grad school, so I really wouldn't worry.

Your GPA is okay but your GRE needs work. Let me know if you want a Drive folder with some resources.
Knock em dead with the essays!

Extracurricular: intramural vb/soccer, Exploring Boy Scouts of America Pre-Health, MCOSME mentor, Pre-Professional Health Science Club,

Volunteer: LifeWorks, NTRC Live Auction, The Upside Down Syndrome 5K, Texas Ranch Round up.

Interviews: UNTHSC (received 08/20/19, interview date 09/27/19)

Your GPA is okay but your GRE needs work. Let me know if you want a Drive folder with some resources.
Knock em dead with the essays!
Could I also have access to that folder drive? Anything helps!

Texas State University
Overall: 3.72
Pre-Req: 3.56
GRE: 149 V, 142 Q, 3.5 AW
Hours: 250+ (inpatient: acute care hospital, nursing, sub-acute; outpatient: private practice, ortho, neuro, wound care, geriatrics, cardiopulmonary, sports) and I just got a job as PT Tech in outpatient/sports clinic.

Schools applying to: TXST, UNT, Angelo State, TTUHSC, UTMB, UTHSCSA, St. Augustine (Residential)

EC’s: I was involved in Pre-Physical Therapy Org at TXST, several academic honor societies such as Phi Eta Sigma (historian) and Phi Kappa Phi.

Jobs: currently just got hired at PT Tech

Honors & Awards: Dean’s List for 4 years and Magna Cum Laude distinction.

One little fact about me is that I have bilateral severe-to-profound hearing loss.

Where is the GPA calculation that everybody talks about?
The one calculated by PTCAS.

Your application is solid. You should have no problems getting an interview! No need to retake the GRE. Your scores are definitely good enough.

Members don't see this ad :)
Texas State University
Overall: 3.72
Pre-Req: 3.56
GRE: 149 V, 142 Q, 3.5 AW
Hours: 250+ (inpatient: acute care hospital, nursing, sub-acute; outpatient: private practice, ortho, neuro, wound care, geriatrics, cardiopulmonary, sports) and I just got a job as PT Tech in outpatient/sports clinic.

Schools applying to: TXST, UNT, Angelo State, TTUHSC, UTMB, UTHSCSA, St. Augustine (Residential)

EC’s: I was involved in Pre-Physical Therapy Org at TXST, several academic honor societies such as Phi Eta Sigma (historian) and Phi Kappa Phi.

Jobs: currently just got hired at PT Tech

Honors & Awards: Dean’s List for 4 years and Magna Cum Laude distinction.

One little fact about me is that I have bilateral severe-to-profound hearing loss.
I highly recommend retaking the GRE. Schools will not look at your application if your GRE scores don't meet the minimum, which is usually a total of 300. I've heard that Magoosh is a good tool to assist with preparing for it.

I can also say that UTMB has experience with students who have hearing loss!

You definitely need to retake the GRE. Aim for a score of 300. Nail your interviews and essays and I'd say you have a fair shot.

Howdy!

Good luck everyone!!!

Here are mine:

Your GPAs and GRE scores look good. As long as your essays were solid and you do well with interviews, I'd say you have a very good chance of getting accepted!

School: UT Dallas (currently a senior)
Major: Health Studies
cGPA: 3.47
pre-req GPA: 3.6ish
Last 60 GPA 3.7
GRE: 148V 152Q, 4.5AW

Hours: 2500 hours as a tech for two outpatient ortho/sports clinics, 50 inpatient, 200 home health, 50 outpatient ortho (another facility), 10 pediatric

Volunteer: Adaptive sports for kids with cerebral palsy, adaptive sports for adults with cerebral palsy, volunteered at a few different healthcare related Walks/Marathons

Extracurricular/ Work: PT Club member, TA for Anatomy... Not too much here because I had to work full-time hours or even more during the school year.

Work - Wendy's, Walmart, HEB, Central Market, Personal Trainer, Physical Therapy Tech - No particular order, but I have had full time positions/ two part time positions at a single time

Applied: UTMB, TWU, UT Southwestern, UTHSCSA, Texas Tech, Texas State, UNTHSC

Interviews: UNTHSC (scheduled for 9-27!)

Rejections:

Overall, I'd like to say I'm a well rounded student :)

School: UT Dallas (currently a senior)
Major: Health Studies
cGPA: 3.47
pre-req GPA: 3.6ish
Last 60 GPA 3.7
GRE: 148V 152Q, 4.5AW

Hours: 2500 hours as a tech for two outpatient ortho/sports clinics, 50 inpatient, 200 home health, 50 outpatient ortho (another facility), 10 pediatric

Volunteer: Adaptive sports for kids with cerebral palsy, adaptive sports for adults with cerebral palsy, volunteered at a few different healthcare related Walks/Marathons

Extracurricular/ Work: PT Club member, TA for Anatomy... Not too much here because I had to work full-time hours or even more during the school year.

Work - Wendy's, Walmart, HEB, Central Market, Personal Trainer, Physical Therapy Tech - No particular order, but I have had full time positions/ two part time positions at a single time

Applied: UTMB, TWU, UT Southwestern, UTHSCSA, Texas Tech, Texas State, UNTHSC

Interviews: UNTHSC (scheduled for 9-27!)

Rejections:

Overall, I'd like to say I'm a well rounded student :)
May I ask when you submitted the application? I submitted the application at the end of July and beginning of August. I am applying to UNTHSC only and it looks like I might have missed the first round of interviews.

May I ask when you submitted the application? I submitted the application at the end of July and beginning of August. I am applying to UNTHSC only and it looks like I might have missed the first round of interviews.

I turned in most of mine I’m the middle of July.
Thank you so much for replying. My application was completed on the 1st of August. I am keeping my fingers crossed for the second round of interview. :xf:

Hi,
I've been looking at this forum for a while and i wanted to hear some honest feedback about UIW. I'm applying to 3 programs and UIW is my last choice, but it seems like a solid program and the problem-learning curriculum is something I think could benefit me, but I wanted to hear info and news about the program other people have heard about it.

I had all my coursework and supplemental fees/applications submitted by July 30, 2019

Hey there, I was accepted but ultimately rejected my acceptance to UIW. I had a buddy that went there and he said he liked the program but if he could do it over again he would've gone state all the way. He also warned me to skirt PT and do something more lucrative but admitted he maybe felt that way cause he is about $220k or so in student loan debt (for just UIW PT). He really seemed to emphasize that he felt prepared for the NPTE by the UIW curriculum, but that he says the price is not worth it.
Hi,
I've been looking at this forum for a while and i wanted to hear some honest feedback about UIW. I'm applying to 3 programs and UIW is my last choice, but it seems like a solid program and the problem-learning curriculum is something I think could benefit me, but I wanted to hear info and news about the program other people have heard about it.

Hello, just like the question earlier about UIW I have the same question about St. Augustine. Just wanting to know what people say/think about this school.

Has anyone heard back from Texas Tech?
I got an email about a week ago saying that I had gone through primary evaluation and my application was complete and under review. That's the last I heard and am now patiently waiting. I looked at last year's forum and it looked like people were getting interview offers at the beginning of September.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
This will be my second time applying to PT school! Would love some feedback! :)

School: University of Arkansas
Major: Kinesiology
cGPA: 3.52
GRE: 150V, 153Q, 4.5AW

Hours: 250 in outpatient pediatric, 2000 in outpatient ortho, 20 in inpatient (Cook Children's neuro-rehab unit), 200+ in outpatient sports

Work: Summer camp counselor, 1 year as PT tech at outpatient ortho, currently a therapy tech at Texas Scottish Rite's Orthopedics and Sports Medicine Center

LOR: 1 PT (past supervisor), 1 PT (who I worked with at last job), 1 PT (who I currently work with at TSRH), and 1 professor

Applying: UTMB, UTHSCSA, TWU, TTUHSC, Angelo State, UNTHSC, Texas State, UTEP, UOHSC, Belmont, Elon, Long Island
*may still apply to a couple other out of state schools!*

On paper, you fit the bill to be a typical student at UTEP! Good luck.

The program kicks a$$, really. Also, the program provides us with at least 3 of the books we need every semester. Our cohort sources the rest (;

Visit in September!

Hours: 250 in outpatient pediatric, 2000 in outpatient ortho, 20 in inpatient (Cook Children's neuro-rehab unit), 200+ in outpatient sports

Work: Summer camp counselor, 1 year as PT tech at outpatient ortho, currently a therapy tech at Texas Scottish Rite's Orthopedics and Sports Medicine Center

LOR: 1 PT (past supervisor), 1 PT (who I worked with at last job), 1 PT (who I currently work with at TSRH), and 1 professor

Applying: UTMB, UTHSCSA, TWU, TTUHSC, Angelo State, UNTHSC, Texas State, UTEP, UOHSC, Belmont, Elon, Long Island

Also, idk your preferences for schools but it seems that the UTMB and the UTEP programs are very similar. In fact, UTMB started the UTEP program. We have faculty that graduated from UTMB so there's that too. And UTEP is cheaper..and no need to worry about hurricanes.

Hello, just like the question earlier about UIW I have the same question about St. Augustine. Just wanting to know what people say/think about this school.

According to CAPTE, their accreditation has been put on probation.

Also, idk your preferences for schools but it seems that the UTMB and the UTEP programs are very similar. In fact, UTMB started the UTEP program. We have faculty that graduated from UTMB so there's that too. And UTEP is cheaper..and no need to worry about hurricanes.

Thank you so much for your feedback!! I really appreciate it. :)

Would be a good fit with us at Angelo State:) We would gladly accept an Arkansawyer ... Good luck.

Hi,
Expensive:)

If your goal is to become a PT, then USA will get you there. If your goal is to live comfortably after graduation, and have more individualized instruction in a program, then not so much. I attended USA classes for 4 days...until I got an email accepting me into a State program. Had to make the financial decision to walk away, get a job as a paid PT tech, then begin at the State program four months later (super thankful). I am also thankful to USA for accepting me in the first place.

Reactions: 2 users
Where is the GPA calculation that everybody talks about?
The one calculated by PTCAS.
What they mean by "PTCAS calculated GPA" is they just took their favorite program's pre-reqs, and ran them through a typical college 4,0 GPA calculator. Because I eventually got tired of calculating over and over many programs GPA as I needed to make decisions, I keyed in all classes which could be a pre-req for a program and my corresponding grade. I then wrote a macro to evaluate gPA for cells which I put an X in a cell. Then, after reviewing a programs requirements, I would place an X and get a quick calculated GPA. I did this to help me begin to decipher the best programs for my stats.

According to CAPTE, their accreditation has been put on probation.
This was a technical SNAFU of which they did not have enough accredited staff members in a semester. I expect them to fix this ASAP, and if I'm a betting man, this won't happen to them again.

If anyone hears back about an interview, post it here!! That way we can all stay updated.

I have already received interview dates for September from UNTHSC and UNE, but haven’t heard from anyone else.
How long did it take for UNTHSC to email you the link for the supplemental fee?

Has anyone heard from Texas Tech or UTMB? I got an email from Tech about passing preliminary evaluation, but that was like a month ago.

Has anyone heard from Texas Tech or UTMB? I got an email from Tech about passing preliminary evaluation, but that was like a month ago.
UTMB will most likely be holding a round of interviews in the next week or 2. Because they do rolling admissions, they interview the top candidates earlier. However, they will continue to send out interview invites throughout the entire application period, along with acceptances. When I applied, I submitted my application a couple of days before the deadline and received an interview invite in November. It's still very early in the process, so try your best to be patient (I know it's easier said than done lol). I'm sure you'll be hearing from them soon!

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone heard from UMHB yet? I know they have interviews every two weeks and was hoping to get into the sept 27th one.