Texas Pre-Meds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pickle Salt

*curtsies*
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, thought I'd start a thread for those of us using the TMDSAS system. Anyone gotten interviews yet? If so, where from? So far I've heard from UT Houston and UNTCOM.

Members don't see this ad.

I just got called from Texas A&M today with an interview date. So, they're giving them out now as well as the others.

Pickle Salt &RJHTAMU--

Congrats on the invite! When did you submit TMDSAS and when did you get your invite to Houston or A&M? I'm afraid the panic has set in and I'm feeling discouraged due to many things...:(

Members don't see this ad :)
My TMDSAS was submitted on the 26th, and i heard from them both about a week later. I didn't submit TAMUs til last week and haven't heard from them yet. :-/ you're not the only nervous one :) i think we're all a little timid

A. Receipt of signed Certification Page: 06/18/2002
B. Receipt of application fee in the correct amount: 06/18/2002
C. Receipt of the correct number of photos: 06/18/2002
D. Date entered into problem section, if applicable: __________
Date cleared problems, if applicable: __________
E. Initial Processing Date - sent to schools(s) 07/10/2002

Interview Invite from A&M: 7/18

Samoa,

I think they do wait for MCAT scores, but I'm not sure. You might want to consider calling them and asking. The fact that you have older scores might speed up the process. Good luck :-D

i read at utmb's website that they will still offer interviews if your gpa is higher than 3.5. they also take mcat's that are 5 years old.

Just FYI--

I called Houston and they said that they sent out their first round of invites about 2 weeks ago.

I'm still waiting for UT Houston to receive my proof of registration with the Selective Service for their secondary, so that's probably why I haven't heard from them yet. .

Have fun folks- it's a cool ride. Especially in Texas where the interviews are low key (EXCEPT my UT Houston one :)) and everyone is especially nice and friendly. --Trek

hey trek--

congrats on baylor. boy am i jealous. :D anyhow, please post frequently on the texas medschool threads seeing as that you were a successful applicant. We need your knowledge and anyone else you can help. ;)

Shoot, i dunno about all that. ALthough i feel lucky to be going to my top choice. I kinda got caught up in a lot of pre-med crap (will it look better to do this or this) early on, but you'll see in the interview very few things matter. If you can have an enjoyable and meaningful conversation with the other person, you'll be 100% fine. Anyone is welcome to PM me anytime. I applied to/interviewed at UTSW, UTH, UTMB, UTSA and Baylor. Good luck all!! --Trek

Members don't see this ad :)
FYI: UTMB (Galveston) sent out its first batch of interview invites. got mine in snail mail today. Good luck everyone!

Pickle Salt--CONGRATS!!!

If you don't mind could you post when your TMDSAS was transmitted to the schools. And please clarify a really dumb question--what is meant by snail mail? Is it mail from the mailbox b/c that's so much slower than email or is it a computer term? I had to bite my pride and just ask.

thanks

For anyone with Texas interviews and in the know, are the dates of the interview pre-determined and given to you? Or do you get to choose when to have one? Thanks.

The interview dates are predetermined. They pretty much tell you when they will be expecting you. UT Houston seemed cool with changing dates if necessary; TCOM was pretty cool too. UTMB said something like "please keep in mind that we do not reschedule interviews often". :rolleyes:

hope this helps

Originally posted by The Mysterious Stranger
Pickle Salt--CONGRATS!!!

If you don't mind could you post when your TMDSAS was transmitted to the schools. And please clarify a really dumb question--what is meant by snail mail? Is it mail from the mailbox b/c that's so much slower than email or is it a computer term? I had to bite my pride and just ask.

thanks

:laugh: Mysterious Stranger, i dig you

A. Receipt of signed Certification Page: 06/11/2002
B. Receipt of application fee in the correct amount: 06/11/2002
C. Receipt of the correct number of photos: 06/11/2002
D. Date entered into problem section, if applicable: __________
Date cleared problems, if applicable: __________
E. Initial Processing Date - sent to schools(s) 06/26/2002

Invite from UT Houston: 7/6/02
TCOM: 7/17/02
UT Galveston: 7/22/02

Snail mail: Mail that is slow as compared to e-mail. The stuff that comes in your mailbox (The one outside your house) :D

:laugh: Thanks for clairifying. It must feel great to have three invitations to interview and it's not even Aug yet.

Just got another one.

7/18/02 Texas A&M

7/24/02 TCOM

congrats, rjh! when's your tcom interview?

Thanks, my interview at A&M is Thursday Aug. 8, and TCOM is Tuesday Aug. 13.

Woo-da-ley-hooooo! I got an invite to interview at Houston. If anyone cares my TMDSAS was subitted on the 4th and I recieved my invite through email today-7/24.

hey can everyone list their interview dates? it'll be nice to meet/"know" some SDNers at interviews...

mine:
Houston: 8/22
TCOM: 8/15
Galveston: 8/16

for those of you that go interviews, would you mind telling us your stats; GPA and MCAT?
Do you know if they will offer interviews if you are taking the MCAT in August?

I remember that when I interviewed at UT-Houston, I was told that at least 90 percent of people who interviewed there were accepted to at least one medical school. Also, I took the August MCAT last interview season and submitted my TMDSAS app. about a week or 2 before the deadline and got interviews at all the schools I applied to.

I took the MCAT in April of 2001, so I'm not sure about the August test date and interviews.

As for my stats: VR 10, PS 14, BS 12, Q, 36Q and 3.71

SFA Chino,

I am not sure about interviews if you are taking the August MCAT. I do know, however, that Galveston's website claims to invite applicants who are August test-takers with at least a 3.5 gpa

Ok, got another invite, here's updated

8/8 A&M
8/13 TCOM
8/29 Houston

Hey for those who have interview dates:

I know UT-Houston wanted us to "rsvp" and confirm dates. But TCOM and Galveston didn't really mention confirmations, at least not on the papers I read over. Just want to make sure - did any of you guys confirm your interview dates with these schools?

As far as TCOM goes, I actually got a call from one of the Admissions assistants. I wasn't there at the time, but she left a message. When I called her back, she took care of everything over the phone. That is, told me all of the basic information, interview date, and went ahead and confirmed that I would be there on that date all over the phone. I didn't have to send an email in.

pickle salt--YOU MUST CONFIRM YOUR DATE WITH GALVESTON !. In my packet I got, the second page talked about confirmation--the page that gives the synopsis of the interview day. Anyhow you must confirm at least 2 weeks prior. email either Shannon at [email protected] or Theresa at [email protected] to guarantee you a spot. Are you going to go to the open session the day before? I have to miss it because i have training for AmeriCorps but it seems it will be pretty informative. If you do go to it and get something out of it will you post about it? Good luck!

Mysterious Stranger -

Thank you!!!!!! I have learned my lesson about reading the packets thoroughly. I just e-mailed both ladies and hopefully have secured my spot. I am not going to attend the open session the night before, because I have my TCOM interview that day and will be traveling by night. Can anyone who reads these posts let us know what you learn? Thanks bunches.

pickle salt--

that's awful--having two interviews back-to-back. Hopefully it will have some good consequences, like being in interview mode or something. Anyhow good luck. i didn't apply to TCOM b/c I'm reallynot interested in D.O. but seeing everyone else apply kinda has me thinkin i should have. we'll see.

I just received an invite from San Antonio. wierd thing is that it's before my interviews at Houston and Galveston yet I got those invites a while ago. that's very frustrating b/c the invite is on the day I have my final for the summer session and they really didn't give me much time to figure alternative out with my prof. anyone have any suggestions??? my profis very anal.

stranger,

Try talking to UTSA. Moving the date with them to later is probably your best choice. Just call them and tell them the situation, see what they say about it. I'm sure it wont hurt to ask. In what form did you receive the invite? snail mail/email/phone? Just curious to know what to watch out for. Leaving for vacation Saturday and paranoid that being non-communicative for 8 straight days will ruin my chances at getting in to med school......:rolleyes:

snail mail--i got it todayand it was dated the 25th. i'm in austin witch is 45 mins from SA so lord knows why it took 6 days--anyhow if you're farther than austin it might arrive in the next couple of days. pickle salt--you've been very helpful and i hope you getinto your first choice.

::D thank you, stranger. I need all the good wishes i can get.

Hey, does anyone find that this website makes one a little more paranoid and a little less logical? Ever since I stumbled upon this page, i've worried more about invites, etiquette, attire, etc, than I ever did before. I mean, my stats are good (good for Texas schools) and before I was pretty confident I'd get in somewhere and that i was doing things correctly...but now...after reading posts from all the geniuses that frequent this site.....i find myself lost in a sea of very competitive applicants. Dont get me wrong, I love SDN, but hell, I'm thinking about giving myself a break from it for awhile!

take it from someone who applied last application season and got into their first choice....if you get several interviews or even all of the interviews in TMDSAS you will get in somewhere. when i was interviewing, i noticed that it was the same pool of applicants that was getting several or all of the interviews. pretty much everywhere i went, people were talking about all the other texas interviews they had gone to or were going to soon after. so think about how many people each school interviews and keep in mind that for the most part the same core group is getting most of the interviews. and each of those people can only get accepted to one place. then think about how many seats are open in the TMDSAS system. i don't think you'll be so worried after that. and also keep in mind what percentage of TMDSAS seats have to be filled by texas residents. (by the way I had a 28 mcat, 4.0 gpa (at the time i applied), no clinical experience, little ec's, 19 yrs old when i applied)

something someone told me today:

"texas residents must have it easy. like 10 med schools, all in-state only. it's no wonder texas schools mop up the bottom of the usnews rankings."

This person was stupid, but how do you guys feel about this statement? After all, it must be fairly hard to get into texas schools, even if you're an in-state resident, right?

jaeida, thanks for the encouraging words :) made me feel better. you're money, baby. inferiority moment passed successfully.

bikini, what that person said just isn't true. A little less than half of the applicants in the United States get into a medical school (read that somewhere), and the same ratio occurs in Texas (according to the TMDSAS website). Not ten schools: 7 allopathic, 1 osteopathic. Not all in-state acceptances. Granted, state schools are required to accept 90 percent Texas residents, but so are state schools in other states. Baylor does not abide by this 90 percent rule, either. And given the large population of Texas (and the large population of applicants), we're under a similar amount of pressure as any other state applicants, I think. Nonetheless, I still feel fortunate to be involved with the Texas med school programs. Great application service and friendly people.

Originally posted by Bikini Princess
something someone told me today:

This person was stupid, but how do you guys feel about this statement? After all, it must be fairly hard to get into texas schools, even if you're an in-state resident, right?

That statement was made out of ignorance. You know there are many confused people on the east and west coasts (i know there is a plethora of wonderful east coast/west coast people so don't flame me) that are very condescending and judgemental toward southerners--my brother is a TX resident who attended the Univ of Texas at Austin as an undergrad and got into Harvard law, standford law, Georgetown, VA, and Penn among others. So did the majority of his friends. While at the orientations for Stanford and Georgetown the ivy league students were very condescending towards him. I guess even if you have the same test scores, same GPA, and same EC's paying 5x as much to attend school makes you inherently better.

Texas has schools in every tier--Baylor and SW are in the top tier (Galveston and Houston are middle tier...). Baylor is not a "state school" but they still get some state funding and accept only about 30% out-of-staters. Last year Baylor claimed an average MCAT score higher than Stanford, Cornell, Yale, Michigan, UCSF, and the same average as Hopkins. that can't be attributed to just the out of staters. hmm must not be of good quality. Did you know SW (TX state school with 90%+ Texans) is tied with Pitt in the US rankings? Additionalyy TX gives preference to students from surrounding states such as NM..add this to the population of TX and that creates a very competitive process. Your statement implies that the TX schools are all poorlyranked b/c they only include TX students. there'sno need to propagate pejorative stereotypes. and so to you and anyone else who wants to box I say blah. :p

Bikin princess I also question the reason to even post that statement--um I heard that your state school system was horrible, what do you think about that? what do you think I think about that? i think the person who made that staement was rejected from their own state school and tried to make themselves feel better by stating, if only i were a texan...sounds like someone needed to put someone else down to make themself feel better.

woo hoo, i interview at UTSA on 8/19...anyone else going on this date?

somewhat important: DO NOT call the San Antonio medical school number listed on the letterhead or the website. Apparently it's the number to the medical school and not the registrar's office (the registrar people can check the status of your application). I just got griped at for literally 10 minutes about how "touchy" the medical school was about this subject and how i needed to call the registrar's office....

Hey Pickle Salt--

My interview with SA was scheduled for 8/19 also but I had to reschedule b/c of my final. Since you got invitations to interview before me forHouston and Galveston this is probably SA's first interview date. I'm glad to know that you got an interview with SA. Do you feel relieved?I know you stated you'reabout to go on vacation.

Does anyone know what's going on with TECH, SW, and Baylor? I'm tired of calling SW and I get a different answer from them everytime I call. What about Baylor?

Thanks Stranger :) yes very happy to hear from UTSA. Lovely school and alot of my friends live there.

As for the schools we haven't heard from, they haven't sent out invites yet, at least not to my knowledge. I work at Southwestern and the associate dean of admissions herself told me that they are usually the last school to send invites. They dont start interviewing until September. And i believe they said they haven't even looked at apps yet...
Tech and Baylor - not too sure about these, but i know Tech is one of the slower ones as well. No word of invites from them yet. I am getting my information from my advisory committee at TAMU, so i figure it's pretty accurate.

Yeah, SW and Baylor have not started handing out invites yet. I know someone who works at Baylor and she said it might not be until after this first week in August, but she told me she'll look into it further and let me know for sure.

rjhtamu and pickle salt can ya keep us updated about invites from SW and Baylor? has SW even started putting together their applicant files yet? I called once to check to make sure my file was complete and was told only the dean of admissions could tell me and was put on hold for 10 mins before being told to call back later. I called a couple of days later and was told that they haven't even started putting together files yet.

gracias

Yeah I think Southwestern has either not started or is just beginning to start looking at applications. If my advis. committee is right and interviews start up in September at SW, then I'd look for an invite around mid-to-late August, perhaps?